EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egypt News » BUS crash

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BUS crash
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where did this bus crash
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev08
Member # 14964

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
somewhere in the Sinai - on the way to Cairo

--------------------
free palestine

Posts: 346 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes just seen the news, on its way to cario from sharm, i dont know what it is with the people and how they drive, i would like to see what is going through there minds when they drive in what they think is an orderly maner but others think in a crazy way,

there driving skills are nearly nill i have seen so much of this the last timei was there the other week andeveryone i seen was just caused by stupidness nothing more, we just feel sorry for the people who are on the recieving end of peoples madness

Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four British tourists are thought to have been injured in a bus crash in Egypt's Sinai Peninsular that killed nine people.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1314619,00.html

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four Britons were injured when a bus overturned and caught fire on a desert highway on Egypt's Sinai peninsula, killing at least nine passengers, officials have said.

The bus was carrying around 40 tourists, mostly from Canada, Britain, Italy and Eastern Europe, from the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh to the Egyptian capital, Cairo, said Dr Said Issa, director of emergency services in the Sinai.

It overturned at a sharp curve in the highway at Abu Zenima, an area about 40 miles south-east of the Suez Canal, and then a fire swept through the bus, Issa said.

Officials said at least 28 people were injured.

Egypt's state news agency, MENA, said the dead bodies were transferred to a local clinic, but wounded survivors were rushed back to a larger hospital in Sharm el-Sheikh. Many of the wounded were severely burned.

A security official gave a breakdown of nationalities of those injured: 13 Russians, four Britons, two Canadians, two Italians, two Romanians, one Ukrainian and four Egyptians.

The cause of the accident was not immediately known.

Ali Haridi, an Egyptian who was sitting near the driver when the accident occurred, said the bus flipped and he was so disoriented "I couldn't tell where the driver was."

Haridi, who suffered some burns and cuts, said he was carrying several injured tourists, including a woman whose hand had been severed and another who was severely burned.

Egyptian roads see frequent accidents because of speeding, careless driving and poor road conditions. At least 8,000 people were killed in accidents in 2006, the most recent statistics available.

All reports say something different but this one is the most recent one

Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one. How horrible!! [Frown] [Frown]

Officials: 9 tourists killed in Egypt bus accident
By ASHRAF SWEILAM – 1 hour ago

EL-ARISH, Egypt (AP) — A speeding bus carrying dozens of Canadian and European tourists overturned and caught fire Thursday in Egypt's Sinai peninsula, killing at least nine passengers and wounding 28, security and emergency officials said....

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i8xKSf7F-Vu4bx3tc1ijZIQBFoxwD90CN6G00

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ABU ZENIMA, Egypt (AP) -- Tourists leaped away after their speeding bus overturned, rolled down an embankment and burst into flames Thursday in Egypt's Sinai peninsula. The pre-dawn crash killed at least nine and injured around 30 of the dozens of Russians, Canadians and east European holidaygoers.

The wreck of the tourist bus, which crashed in Egypt's Sinai peninsula killing at least nine people.

The blaze left the bus, which was carrying about 40 tourists, a burned-out husk. Many of the dead were severely burned, making it difficult to determine their identities and nationalities.

An Italian woman who survived the crash said the bus exploded moments after she crawled out of the wreckage and jumped down a steep embankment to escape.

Most of the passengers were asleep during the overnight trip, heading to Cairo, "and when we woke up the bus was turning upside-down. After that, it was hell," said Diana Argentieri, a 27-year-old factory worker vacationing in Egypt with friends. She recounted the bus had rolled over three or four times.

"It all seems like a nightmare, but unfortunately it's real," Argentieri told The Associated Press by telephone from a Sinai hospital where she received stitches to her back and shoulder hours later. See the aftermath of the bus crash. »

The driver, Ali Haridi, said he lost control of the bus on a sharp curve in the highway at Abu Zenima, an area about 70 kilometers (40 miles) southeast of the Suez Canal. After the fire broke out, passengers jumped from the windows of the burning hulk, he said.

"I was surprised by the turn and I wasn't able to control the steering wheel, and I lost control and it rolled over," Haridi told AP as he was taken into the hospital at Suez with burns and cuts.

Argentieri said the bus started speeding soon after it left the Sinai resort of Sharm el-Sheik around 1 a.m. local time (2200GMT Wednesday), and that many passengers were worried. "The bus was going very fast and the road was in bad condition, we were immediately scared by the speed," she said.

Argentieri said that after the bus rolled off the road, down an incline and onto a rocky spur, she and her friend were making for an exit. She said she saw "a person on the floor, lying still, and other people bleeding."

"We wanted to go back in to see if there was still somebody alive, but the bus was on fire," she said, adding she and other survivors had to jump 3 to 4 meters (10 to 13 feet) from the spur to avoid the flames. "We had no choice, so we plucked up our courage and jumped. Immediately after that the bus exploded."

Lightly injured Russian Marina Litskaya, 34, said from a hospital in Sharm el-Sheik that she was on the bus, traveling with her mother and sat behind the driver when the crash happened. At one point, she looked over his shoulder and saw the speedometer dial at 160 kilometers (100 miles) per hour.

Haridi did not explain his speeding.

The bus was carrying Canadians, Britons, Italians, Russians and other tourists from Eastern Europe from the Sinai resort of Sharm el-Sheik to the Egyptian capital, said Dr. Said Issa, director of emergency services in the Sinai.

But hours later, Egyptian authorities and embassy officials from the tourists' home countries were still trying to determine the nationalities of the dead.

Romania's ambassador to Egypt, Gheorghe Dumitru, said a 41-year-old Romanian woman was among the dead. Timur Agametov, vice consul at the Russian embassy in Cairo, said at least one Russian was killed, and his country's Foreign Ministry said 16 Russians were injured. Egyptian security officials said one Egyptian died.

Some of the wounded had severe injuries, including severed or amputated limbs and heavy burns.

An Egyptian security official gave a breakdown of nationalities of those injured: four Britons, two Canadians, two Italians, two Romanians, one Ukrainian and four Egyptians. He put the number of Russian injured at 14, and the reason for the discrepancy with the Russian Foreign Ministry count was unclear.

The four injured Egyptians included two policemen providing bus security, officials said on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to media....

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/05/01/egypt.crash.ap/index.html?iref=werecommend

[Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tamer and I stay in Sharm when I'm there, worry all the time till I get the call to say he's arrived safely. First time he travelled down, he was driving and had a tyre blow out.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should fit the vehicles with 'governors' so they simply can't go that fast and particularly when 40 people's lives are depending on them [Frown]
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Surrey woman loses arm in Egyptian bus crash

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/05/02/bc-egypt-bus-crash-surrey-couple.html

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
How very sad they have been on their honeymoon in Egypt. [Frown]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Six Russians confirmed dead in Egypt tourist bus crash

http://en.rian.ru/world/20080502/106372565.html

[Frown]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
No compensation for Russians affected by Egypt bus crash

20:02 | 03/ 05/ 2008

MOSCOW, May 3 (RIA Novosti) - Russian tourists affected by a May 1 bus crash in Egypt will not receive any compensation from tour operators, a spokeswoman for the Russian Union of Tour Operators said Saturday.

"The people bought tickets for the trip beyond a contract with a tour operator or a travel agency, so they will not be entitled to demand compensation from tour operators," Irina Tyurina told the Moscow-based Ekho Moskvy radio Saturday.

On Thursday, Tyurina said the tickets had been bought not in an official tour operator's office in a hotel, but in a local "street" agency.

Police said Friday a total of six Russian nationals were among nine people who died on Thursday after a bus carrying foreign tourists overturned and caught fire in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula.

Earlier local officials confirmed that three citizens from Ukraine, Romania and Egypt had died. Some 28 others, including 16 Russians, four Egyptians, two Canadians, two Italians, two Romanians, a Briton and a Ukrainian, were injured in the accident.

The vehicle, carrying 37 tourists from the popular tourist resort of Sharm el-Sheikh to the Egyptian capital, Cairo, hit a sharp bend on a desert highway at Abu Zenima, about 40 miles (65 kms) southeast of the Suez Canal.

Most passengers were asleep when the accident occurred.

A special commission has been established to investigate the circumstances of the accident, which some media sources reported was due to a burst tire.

Such incidents are frequent on Egyptian roads due to a combination of speeding and the poor condition of the roads. Some 8,000 people die annually each year in the country in road accidents.

Egypt is a popular tourist destination among Russians with some 1.5 million people visiting the country from Russia last year.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080503/106445444.html

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Well at least:

Russia's Emergency Ministry is sending a plane to Egypt to collect six Russian citizens injured in a bus crash near the town of Sharm-el-Sheikh. Four of them are in a critical condition.

http://www.russiatoday.ru/news/news/24306

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A MODEST Briton emerged last night as the hero of the Egyptian bus crash that killed nine people.

Brave Phillip Palmer risked his life to help several of the 29 injured away from the burning wreckage of their coach just before it exploded in a huge fireball.

Company boss Phillip, who survived with wife Sandra, said: “As I carried one woman to safety the heat was grilling me. The coach was burning its whole length and all of a sudden it went ‘boom’.”

Phillip, 42, and Sandra, 47, were sitting near the front when the packed coach flipped off a desert road in the dark, tumbled over and caught fire.

Burned ... cops and locals with bus
Yesterday the couple from Arlesey, Beds, who run an advertising products firm, were recovering in hospital.

Phillip escaped with cuts and bruises while mum-of-three Sandra broke a leg and four ribs and suffered internal bleeding.

Screaming

A Canadian couple they had swapped seats with were even more seriously injured, with the girl losing an arm.

The 5am crash happened as the driver, speeding tourists on a 600-mile trip from the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh to the Pyramids, approached a bridge on a curve.

Phillip said: “He had his toe down and it was as if he missed the bend. The tyres screeched, then we were tumbling and I thought, ‘Oh God!’

Horror ... survivors visit crash site
“The bus filled with a sandstorm of grit. Everyone was screaming and glass smashed.

“It rolled over once or twice and bodies and luggage were thrown everywhere. It was like being in a cement mixer.”

As the bus blazed the only escape route was a 20ft drop down the wall of a man-made water channel. Phillip said: “I lowered Sandra as far as I could, that’s when she broke her leg. I hung and dropped.

“As people jumped I heard bones breaking. One girl lay dead at the foot of the drop and I tried to help others down.

Advertisement

“I saw a Russian lady with a boy about ten and helped carry her away. The Canadian girl had lost her arm so I ripped up a shirt and made a tourniquet.

“Other people could not get off the coach and were burned alive. It was like a war zone.”

The casualties had to wait two hours for ambulances. Breathing through an oxygen mask Sandra said: “Phillip was great. He helped the others and won’t admit it, but he was a hero.”

The driver has told investigators the accident happened because he “suddenly” could not control the steering wheel.

The nine dead included an Egyptian police guard and Russian, Romanian, Ukrainian and Italian tourists. Among the 29 injured, several lost limbs or were horrifically burned.

From NEIL SYSON
in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt
Published: 03 May 2008

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/expats/article1121255.ece

Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week we passed the burnt out wreck of the one that killed 4 doctors. Witnesses said they were as usual driving like maniacs and swerving between traffic,
YUP!! you heard right DOCTORS! 4 of them on the way to the hospital!
Sure they got there in the end straight down to the mortuary! [Roll Eyes]

last night passed another not far from the 'doctors burnt out wreck' which involved over 15 cars and pick ups and one red car on its roof passengers clearly dead and piles of males standing on the sand with a 'single cop'!

Passed again this morning in the light and saw the red car and what a horrific sight it was!

No hope for these asshole drivers........

It has to be some kind of industrial poisoning to the brain or something because nothing else can explain the complete recklessness except some sort of brain damage.........

Post Mortems should be routine here on all driving accident drivers and studies done to show how the brain differs from the 'normal' brain.

When you live here and see the accidents every day you really come to realise that there is something quite vital missing and it would be interesting to see what that magical ingredient is...

It is quite extraordinary..........

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its all about educating them HOW to freaken drive !
They should have mandated driving school, and actual laws that are implemented and enforced.
They will have to have an actual test - written and actual driving ability, and no amount of baksheesh can be allowed to be accepted for "pushing thru" the licensing. And if you get a ticket - then sent back to school - no exceptions, no matter who in hell ya are !
Just because you can afford a car, doesn't mean that you have a clue as to driving regs.
And make one of those laws - that you have to drive with headlights on, seatbelts on, drive in the lanes - again...no exceptions.

but that will never happen. I think that people here are just so darn used to the old "connections" and baKsheesh thing, that it is engrained into their personalities - like its their DUE !

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironic, isn't it?
How the people talk of and seem so much in want of change and organization but when push comes to shove they couldn't handle it. I agree.

Personally I think the driving here is almost symbolic of the frustration of the people, driving at high speeds, weaving in and out, not taking care of themselves or others....just real hopelessness.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:

but that will never happen. I think that people here are just so darn used to the old "connections" and baKsheesh thing, that it is engrained into their personalities - like its their DUE !

So true! It's a lost case!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com