EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egypt News » African children flown to Rome by UN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: African children flown to Rome by UN
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't YET find this in English, so I translated this short piece of news:
[Roll Eyes] [Mad]

African children flown to Rome by UN

Flying Ghanaian children to Rome cost almost 350000 Euros.

According to Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet WFP (World Food Programme) wanted to advertise its work to the wives of G8 leaders and flew children from Ghana for the wives to feed them.

A tent was erected by the pool meant for UN personnel so G8-wives could feed the children with 'soya maize porrigde' that is usually fed to hungry children.

All this cost approximately 350000 Euros and therefore it is one of the most expensive events UN has ever arranged.

"It is partly about preposterous waste of money. Children being flown to ”the show” is a sick circus and is not suitable for UN" says Per Byman who is the manager of humanitarian aid of development cooperation agency SIDA.

Ghanaian children were fed by, among other persons, Gordon Brown's wife Sarah and Manuel Barroso's spouse Maria Margarita Barroso.

Carla Bruni and Michelle Obama, who were also in Rome with their husbands did not attend to the 'food show' but were on a visit to the city of L'Aquila (earthquake in April killed about 200 people and injured 1500).

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, ok now I did find one link in English maybe I just couldn't first use right words...

(Don't know why this was now news in Sweden/Finland as this seems to be already old news, happened in July.)

http://www.innercitypress.com/wfp1g8display070709.html

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If i have heard of funds being wasted,then this one beats all!!first of ghana is a rich country,secondly it is stable and for 350,000.EUROS,one could feed thousands in darfur,congo,northern uganda,Ethiopia,southern sudan,zimbabwe,etc,etc,etc,what the F....K!! [Mad] [Mad]
Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is partly about preposterous waste of money. Children being flown to ”the show” is a sick circus

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The WFP is just "going with the flow". Don't you know that 'flying children from Africa for show biz' has become the "hip thing" to do these days? In doubt, just ask 'Hollyweird' celebrities.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com