EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: How Bernal Was Defeated For "Promoting Misconceptions With Racist Undertones" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT: How Bernal Was Defeated For "Promoting Misconceptions With Racist Undertones"
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VIVA AMERICA!!!
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahem! Ahem! Let's try to keep it civil.

Look like we have a situation here.

Glider posted pics of what he thinks are white egyptians. Not becauseof the color of their skin but becauseof the "features". Which he think black Africans DO NOT have. KEEP IN MIND the pics he posted are UNPAINTED or the skin is of the same color of the sculpting material.

DJ and I posted pics of Black egyptians with the skin PAINTED by AE.

So in other words this is how they viewed themselves. Their 1000's of FINISHED work shows this. There is no doubt they are black because they said so in their writing and in ALL of their artwork.

So here are Black Africans with wth the features GLIDER says is white/arab
 -

BEJAs
 -

BEJAs
 -

AE
 -

AE

-

So Glider . .. thisis the FINISHED artwork of the AE. Now ask yourself.

ARE THEY BLACK AFRICANS? Most logical people will say . YES.

Besides - in case you missed it - AE is of SUB_SAHARAN origin NOT middle eastern.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are "bantu" AE.

-

-

-

-

-

So if I was you Glider I would keep it civil. Some may be willing to listen to what you have to say.

--------------------

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Glider -

you still have not showed proof that AE were arabs. Infact Hawass even says so in the infamous BBC recording. He said "not black and not arab". Of course we know he is talking about West African/AA.

You do realize that most of the veterans, except DJ, are ignoring you because they have gone through this maybe 100s of time with new comers.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Habari:
quote:
Horus:Glider is British and he bloody lives there too.
What are your clues, there is a post I posted that only an American can react too...you know the drug addiction thing of the Great American people...he got very excited about...
LOL [Big Grin] . You may not know this, but London is known for being worse than say, New York for cokeheads [Wink] In fact, I KNOW Gilder is a cokehead [Wink] Hey Tony, you can now get blue-magic quality gear for £60 at whitecity [Big Grin] The only problem is, you're going to need a ghetto friend to get you in there [Wink]

Pretty much all (fyi, I am generalising here) well-to-do white middle class Brits sniff the white horse now and again. It's quite popular to get offered a line at xmas parties or office outings after most attendees have gone home. For what it's worth, I've never been stupid enough to try something that I'd probably get addicted to, which would then consequently bankrupt yours truly (YH). I might try coca leaves infusion when I visit South America though.

A crack epidemic is developing in the London inner cities since a lot of youngins have got themselves addicted to coke but cannot keep up with the £60/gram show. Most of them won't ever see £60 in a day's work.

I know Glider is a Brit from his choice of words. If you lived in London, you'd know what I mean.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
With your pcis of the fight between AE and other africans (Nubians) is analogous to . . .. Somali fighting ethiopians. Heck infighting amongst Somali clans.

or the English hating and fighting the Germans. Can you telll their differences. I can't . . . .but they can.

I am sure they probably drew cartoons, stereotyping, their differences.

So in other words your pics show black skin africans fighting other black skin africans.

You should also check out - Encyclopedia Britanica on the Beja. Who they describe as the closest representation to AE.

SO your arguement should be - proving the Beja etc are NOT indegenous black Africans. It is FACT that Arabs are NOT indegenous to Africa.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
@ Horus-

was just about to ask the same question. I thought was through the IP or PM ext.

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
And bro, GLIDER, lay off the screaming. Do your research and come again. Some are willing to listen. . .at least me.

But do it in a logical manner. BUILD your case. Pic spam and debunked research is not going to work. . .on this forum.

As some of the vets say here - "where is your proof". Please bring NEW material that proves that AE were other than Black Africans.

I was like some AfroCentric -

1. Saying AE were blacks based upon a “few” pics of bantu AE.
2. I was sold on the "true negro" myth. I used to repeat the same garbage like " Cleopatra was black”.
3. I even thought that straight hair, straight nose and thin lips was an indication of admixture. (although I have very thin lips, and long face, lineage E3a).
4. I thought Somali, Ethiopians and other East Africans were mixed with Europeans because of aquiline features. Even though I knew some were coal black in skin color. Heck some of them even think that – Dr Henry Gates videos

Now I know that belief is FALSE based upon the numerous studies referenced on this site. These features are indigenous to all of Africa. . .. ie found in the West/Central Africa.

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Stop starting so many threads with the same theme.

--------------------

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe staff allows this sort of nonsense and tomfoolery. The Mods definitely suck and have abandoned their duty. Exactly why I don't come around here as often.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glider
Member # 12976

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Glider -

you still have not showed proof that AE were arabs. Infact Hawass even says so in the infamous BBC recording. He said "not black and not arab". Of course we know he is talking about West African/AA.

You do realize that most of the veterans, except DJ, are ignoring you because they have gone through this maybe 100s of time with new comers.

XYYMAN,

I'm not here to argue with MILITANT PHOBIC CONSPIRACY THEORY and SOMETIMES BLACK RACISTS.

My mission is to present the FACTS and MAINSTREAM IDEAS that are being ignored intentionally. You can't waste time with ZEALOTS and it is not my intention. I'm aiming for a larger audience, THE SILENT MAJORITY,WHO READ THIS FORUM.

Interjecting a little humor once in a while is OKAY, but you can never debate FANATICS. I'm actually the one who ignores most of the PERMANENT TROLLS and RIGHLTY SO, considering their worthless PICTURE SPAMMING AND SELECTIVE citations.

Posts: 315 | From: Deep Earth | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glider
Member # 12976

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Stop starting so many threads with the same theme.

You would be wise to offer this advice to the PERMANENT TROLLS and their PROTEGES.

Most of my topics are valid and objective. Like I have said before, I'm not here to please the PERMANENT TROLLS, rather I aim for a LARGER GROUP OF SMART READERS.

Posts: 315 | From: Deep Earth | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glider
Member # 12976

Rate Member
 -

THE SAME NORTH AFRICAN CAUCASOID PEOPLE WERE PRESENT IN ANCIENT EGYPT. THESE PEOPLE ARE EGYPTIANS AND CONSTITUTE THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE (NOT INVADERS OR WHATEVER CARPETBAGGERS THINK)

Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glider... want some more?
 -

Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glider:
 -

THE SAME NORTH AFRICAN CAUCASOID PEOPLE WERE PRESENT IN ANCIENT EGYPT. THESE PEOPLE ARE EGYPTIANS AND CONSTITUTE THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE (NOT INVADERS OR WHATEVER CARPETBAGGERS THINK)

So why don't they look like this:

-

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/444766181/in/set-72157600042608697/

or this:

-

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
As most here realize and any sensible person will conclude - Looking at these 1000s of pics. These are black/brown skinned people living and being indegenous to Africa. Black Africans. There is No other way to look at it. Some are "true negro", some "east african", NONE Arab. ALL Black Africans. All sensible people, in the silent majority, will conclude that.

Sorry those people you show in the football shot DO NOT look the same as the shots Doug showed here.

As I said the last argument will be to demonstrate that the remaining peoples are NOT Africans. ie Beja, Somali, some Sudanese since they closely resemble AE. Through Cranial studies and genetics. But any fool can see the thick lips, pronagism(sp?), black/brown skins of AE are the strong "negroid" influence. Even some of them have coarse hair.

I can see the Arab having a sense of ownership since they lived there for close to 1500 yrs. But by then the AE cilization was dead. Infact most moslem don;t care about AE culturally. Plus it was sooooo AFRICAN.

Come to think of it - Carpetbaggers may be an appropriate term in this instance .. .also.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Glider:
QUOTE]So why don't they look like this:

-

-

or this:

-

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Also - If you are such a "proud" Egyptian then I assume you are NOT a proud Arab. Because Arabs invaded your counrty and converted all to non-African culture.(not Arab bashing but sorting through the facts).

Again keeping in mind the FACT AE is sub-saharan in origin. And if you want to contest that . . .talk to your peers. . . NG and Leftkowitz etc.

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

BLACK FILIPINOS ARE MY BROTHERS:

* SAME COLOR LIKE ME!

* SAME FLAT NOSE LIKE ME!

* SAME FLAT ROUND FACE LIKE ME!

* YES SIR, WE'RE TWINS!

BOY,I COULD'VE HAD A V8?

-

-

SORRY, I WAS BLINDED BY ALL THOSE WHITE LIES: "I'M VERY DARK, BUT NO-NO, I'M NOT BLACK". [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

LOL Yes, very dark compared to typical fair-skinned Asians. There are many people with dark complexions but are not 'black'. But don't try to lie to yourself thinking that only black people accept the truth and don't try to distract this thread from it. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Validating racial stereotypes now are we? Which
subset of the hodgepodge of peoples from damn
near every continent except Australia is representative
of your, not my, [stereo]typical Hispanic and why?

No I validate no stereotype. I merely meant my complexion is like those of Mexicans. But I don't deny black Dominicans as Hispanics also. Again, why don't you talk to Jaimie about that, not me.

quote:
Must say though that I do like those images you
posted.  - Especially the throw down. Boom shaka laka laka!

-

The struggle continues..
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Habari:
Glider... want some more?
 -

Yeah, Glider is snorting that stuff if he still thinks the ancient Egyptians weren't black.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

-

-

or this:

-

Glider, didn't anyone tell you drugs are bad for you? [Big Grin]
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

Regardless how desperate our angry afangi friend is, the fact is still clear Egyptians are black Africans and their features are not uniqe whether it be short round noses or long straight noses, full lips or thin lips.

And their culture is equally African...

From North Africa to South Africa.

-

-

-

-

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

-

LOL Yes, very dark compared to typical fair-skinned Asians. There are many people with dark complexions but are not 'black'. But don't try to lie to yourself thinking that only black people accept the truth and don't try to distract this thread from it. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Validating racial stereotypes now are we? Which
subset of the hodgepodge of peoples from damn
near every continent except Australia is representative
of your, not my, [stereo]typical Hispanic and why?

No I validate no stereotype. I merely meant my complexion is like those of Mexicans. But I don't deny black Dominicans as Hispanics also. Again, why don't you talk to Jaimie about that, not me.

quote:
Must say though that I do like those images you
posted.  - Especially the throw down. Boom shaka laka laka!

-

The struggle continues..

Djehuti, please leave the dark but not black stuff alone. It doesn't sound right no matter how you try and spin it.... You are only giving people ammunition to use against you. The boy in the picture is black.
Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glide-mo: who's phobic other than yourself? I have Arab friends, one or two of whom I've told the Egyptians were black (who didnot get offended, but was skeptical at first - what right did he have to get offended? Though, I suppose there are some Arabs and others who assert that Ancient/Egypt's population was recently darkened by Arab migration - LOL - and who, like you would likely have to suppress real hostile feelings if someone were to even liken the Egyptians to 'negroes', and who use European racist words like n- -er.

Who's delusional?
And why, in the "middle east" where there was African migration in the Neolithic do we use the law of Occams Razor, but in Egypt you could just shout phony hypothesis and lame assessments porposing that Egyptians were mixed, or somehow African but non-African, without proof?

Why'd you try to hide your true-colors in the first place?

[Cool] Good times, when they think it's about 'winning', and think they could possibly 'win' with pictures and slander:

quote:
Originally posted by KAWASHKAR:

[...]these Egyptian students.

-

And who don't look African like
[...]

quote:

^Correction, Arab Egyptian students.

Here are rural non-Arab Egyptian school students

-

quote:
Originally posted by KAWASHKAR:

[...]And who don't look "African", like this warrior:

-

quote:
Of course not but the ancient Egyptian warriors sure do-- spears and shields and all!! LOL

-

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glider
Member # 12976

Rate Member
EGYPTIAN WOMEN HAIR DRESSING A NUBIAN LADY

-

NOTICE THE CONTRAST BETWEEN THE PALE EGYPTIAN WOMEN AND THE NUBIAN LADY. MORE THAN JUST THE SKIN COLOR.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“If you do not understand White Supremacy (Racism) - what it is, and how it works - everything else that you understand, will only confuse you.” - Neely Fuller, Jr. (1971)
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
The vets may confirm this. But I understand that the glyphs say that the dressers are "asian". The woman is egytian but the attendants are asian(middle-eastern).

quote:
EGYPTIAN WOMEN HAIR DRESSING A NUBIAN LADY

-

NOTICE THE CONTRAST BETWEEN THE PALE EGYPTIAN WOMEN AND THE NUBIAN LADY. MORE THAN JUST THE SKIN COLOR.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Glider should look at this also the "Bantu" of AE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-daBOKyF4yM

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
For the knuckle-heads. AE is Sub-Saharan not middle-eastern and definitely NOT Nordic. Give it a rest. Even your people say so. . . . . . . . . . .

Excerpted from her Book Not Out of Africa: How Afrocentrism Became an Excuse to Teach Myth as History by Mary Lefkowitz

-

On the Origins of the Egyptians Recent work on skeletons and DNA suggests that the people who settled in the Nile valley, like all of humankind, came from somewhere south of the Sahara; they were not (as some nineteenth-century scholars had supposed) invaders from the North. See Bruce G. Trigger, "The Rise of Civilization in Egypt," Cambridge History of Africa (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1982), vol I, pp 489-90; S. O. Y. Keita, "Studies and Comments on Ancient Egyptian Biological Relationships," History in Africa 20 (1993) 129-54.

Mary Lefkowitz is the Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities at Wellesley College. She is the author of many books on ancient Greece and Rome, including Lives of the Greek Poets and Women in Greek Myth, as well as articles for the Wall Street Journal and the New Republic. She is the co-editor of Women's Life in Greece and Rome and Black Athena Revisited

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Yes. . . your CHAMPION . . . . Leftkowitz . . . . also agrees!!

--------------------

Ta Setis revenge
Member # 15713

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta Setis revenge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Scholia Reviews ns 5 (1996) 29.

Black Athena Revisited edited by Mary R.
Lefkowitz and Guy Maclean Rogers.

Chapel Hill &
London: The University of North Carolina Press, 1996.
Pp. xxii + 522. ISBN 0-8078-2246-9. US$55.00.

Toby A.H. Wilkinson
Christ's College, Cambridge.

In the latter half of the twentieth century, no
other book on the ancient world has created as much
of a storm as Martin Bernal's Black
Athena.[[1]] Since the publication of the first
volume in 1987, nearly seventy reviews, articles and
films have appeared discussing the book, its goals,
methods and hypotheses. Responses to Bernal's second
volume published in 1991 (two more are promised),
have added to the enormous literature surrounding the
work.
Black Athena Revisited represents a
collection of scholarly responses to Bernal's first
two volumes. Some of the contributions have already
appeared elsewhere as review articles, others were
specially written for this volume. Between an
introductory paper by Mary Lefkowitz and a
summarising conclusion by Guy MacLean Rogers, the
volume comprises eighteen papers by experts from the
United States, the United Kingdom and Italy. As
befits a book as wide-ranging in its scope as
Black Athena, the contributors to Black
Athena Revisited are drawn from an impressive
variety of academic fields. The papers are arranged
in seven broad categories, each addressing a
particular aspect of Bernal's work: Egypt, race, the
Near East, linguistics, science, Greece and
historiography. It is a testament to the impact of
Black Athena that so many distinguished
contributors have combined to review the work and its
implications for past and present scholarship of the
ancient Mediterranean world.

In her introduction, 'Ancient history, modern
myths' (pp. 3- 23), Mary Lefkowitz examines both the
history of western Classical scholarship and the
ancient Greeks' own myths about their origins.
Bernal's central charges in Black Athena are:
(1) that ancient Greek civilisation was massively
influenced by Egypt and Phoenicia, and (2) that
eighteenth and nineteenth century scholars
deliberately obscured the Afro-Asiatic roots of
Classical civilisation for reasons of racism and
anti-Semitism. Equally, perhaps more controversial,
is Bernal's claim that the ancient Egyptians were
black Africans, a theory which gives Black
Athena its title and which has made the book a
cause ce/le\bre amongst Afrocentric ancient
historians. These important questions are tackled
head-on by the individual papers which form the body
of Black Athena Revisited. Lefkowitz casts her
own severe doubts - 'to speak of the ancient (or
modern) Egyptians as "black" is misleading in the
extreme' (p. 21)[b] - but also makes the crucial point,
echoed by other contributors: that Afrocentrists, 'in
the process of claiming Greek history as their own [b]
... will miss an opportunity to learn about real
Africa and its own achievements and civilizations'
(p. 21).

John Baines offers an Egyptologist's perspective
in his paper 'On the aims and methods of Black
Athena' (pp. 27-48). Bernal's insistence on the
significance of Egypt for the development of Greek
civilization means that his limited use of the
Egyptological evidence seriously weakens his
argument. In this and other areas, and in common with
the other contributors to the volume, Baines
expresses grave reservations about Bernal's scholarly
methods. Two quotations will suffice to illustrate
the point: 'Bernal's reluctance to engage with
ancient Near Eastern civilizations on their own terms
leads to bizarre interpretations' (p. 45); 'his
concern with race also leads him to adopt models of
ancient ethnicity that are both inappropriate to the
materials studied and ethically somewhat distasteful'

(p. 46). A second Egyptologist of renown, David
O'Connor, takes a more conciliatory tone towards
Bernal, but is no less critical in his conclusions.
'Egypt and Greece: the Bronze Age evidence' (pp. 49-
61) concentrates on the textual evidence for
relations between Egypt and the eastern Mediterranean
during Egypt's Middle and New Kingdoms. Middle
Kingdom connections with the Aegean seem to have been
rather loose and sporadic; the New Kingdom data,
although suggesting a degree of contact, 'do not
imply the substantial cultural impact of Egypt upon
the Aegean required by Bernal's theory' (p. 60).
O'Connor points out that years of fieldwork in the
Aegean have failed to produce any evidence for an
Egyptian colonisation. In conclusion, Bernal's
arguments are 'unpersuasive, so far as the Egyptian
evidence ... is concerned' (p. 61). Frank Yurco
provides a broad but detailed assessment of the
Egyptian evidence so central to Bernal's theories
('Black Athena: an Egyptological review', pp.
62-100). In his downplaying of the role of
Mesopotamian cultural influences in the formation of
Egyptian civilization, Yurco is out of step with the
most recent Egyptological opinion. Likewise, Yurco's
statement that the Middle Kingdom Mit Rahina
inscription 'does attest an Egyptian-ruled Asiatic
empire' (p. 73) contradicts the usual interpretation
of this important monument (as given by O'Connor, p.
54). Yurco also accepts rather more of Bernal's
arguments, describing his claims for Egyptian
influence on the Greek world as 'in essence
reasonable' (p. 95). Nonetheless, Yurco is keen to
emphasise the difference between trade and rule: the
presence of Egyptian and Hyksos artefacts on Crete
attests to the former, not the latter.
For the Afrocentrists who have seized upon
Black Athena, the issue of race - more
particularly, the race of the ancient Egyptians -
lies at the heart of Bernal's work.[b] Black Athena
Revisited includes three papers on this subject:
'Ancient Egyptians and the issue of race' by Kathryn
Bard (pp. 103- 111); 'Bernal's "Blacks" and the
Afrocentrists' by Frank Snowden (pp. 112-128); and
the contribution by C. Loring Brace et al.,
'Clines and clusters versus "race": a test in ancient
Egypt and the case of a death on the Nile' (pp. 129-
164).[b] Bard assesses the representational and
linguistic evidence from ancient Egypt, both of which
distinguish the Egyptians from their southern sub-
Saharan neighbours. Bard stresses that 'Egyptians
were ... neither black nor white as races are
conceived of today' (p. 104). Moreover, 'to state
categorically that ancient Egypt was either a black -
or a white - civilization is to promote a
misconception with racist undertones' (p. 111).[b] This
aspect of Bernal's argument is picked up by many of
the contributors to Black Athena Revisited, and
emerges as one of the central criticisms of his work.
Indeed, in the conclusion to the volume, the editors
call upon Bernal 'to reject publicly, explicitly, and
unambiguously any theories of history which conflate
race and culture' (p. 453).[b] Snowden accuses Bernal of
misusing the ancient evidence relating to ethnic or
colour terminology. He warns 'substituting fiction
for fact is a disservice to blacks' (p. 127).
Echoing
Lefkowitz's opening remarks, he points to the
important achievements of Nubia, 'a black African
culture of enormous influence and power' (p. 121),
ironically neglected by Afrocentrists in their
emphasis on ancient Egypt. C. Loring Brace et
al. present the results of a detailed scientific
examination of ancient Egyptian cranial material.
Comparisons between the cranial morphology of
Egyptians and other populations indicate that the
former have 'nothing whatsoever in common with Sub-
Saharan Africans' (p. 145). Although their evidence
refutes Bernal's identification of the Egyptians as
black Africans, the authors deplore the very attempt
to categorise the ancient Egyptians by modern
concepts of race. Not only did the race concept not
exist in ancient Egypt, 'it has neither biological
nor social justification' (p. 162).

Particular scorn is poured upon Bernal and his
'unscholarly methods' (p. 167) in 'The Legacy of
Black Athena', by the ancient Near Eastern
specialist Sarah Morris (pp. 167-174). She deplores
Black Athena's 'cumbersome detours ... and ...
labored misunderstandings' (p. 167), and regrets that
Bernal has 'only contributed to an avalanche of
radical propaganda without basis in fact' (p. 174).
In particular, Morris argues, Bernal's emphasis on
ancient Egypt has blinded him to the strong
connections between Crete and the Levant, connections
which were 'more critical to long-term developments'
(p. 169). Echoing the concerns of Lefkowitz and
Snowden, Morris asks 'Why does African America need
Egypt, more than it does the magnificent cultures of
the West African coast, to legitimize its past and
present?' (p. 171).
A central plank of Bernal's argument is his
assertion that the Greek language shows massive
Egyptian and Semitic borrowing. In their detailed yet
highly readable paper, 'Word Games' (pp. 177- 205),
Jay Jasanoff and Alan Nussbaum expose the vast
majority of Bernal's proposed etymologies as false.
Thus, two leading authorities on Greek language
demonstrate the emptiness of Black Athena's
linguistic arguments, adding that 'in relation to
Bernal's overall project, the linguistic evidence is
worse than unhelpful' (p. 201).
The longest contribution to Black Athena
Revisited is Robert Palter's 'Black
Athena, Afrocentrism, and the history of science'
(pp. 209-266). This examines the scientific
achievements of the ancient Egyptians, Babylonians
and Greeks in the fields of astronomy, mathematics
and medicine. Comparison of the three civilizations
shows Babylonian astronomy to have been far more
advanced than Egyptian, whilst in the field of
mathematics 'it is difficult to see how the peak
Egyptian achievements ... could ever have led to
Greek mathematics' (p. 255). Finally, a number of
fundamental differences between Egyptian and Greek
medicine lead Palter to question the proposed
influence of Egypt on Greece in this field too. The
conclusion must be that Greek science probably owed
as much, if not more, to Babylon as it did to Egypt.
The claims of Black Athena have shaken
three fields of study in particular: Egyptology,
Classics and historiography. The final two
collections of papers in Black Athena
Revisited represent the response of the last two
disciplines to Bernal's arguments. The Greek
perspective is expressed in three papers by Emily
Vermeule ('The world turned upside down', pp. 269-
279), John Coleman ('Did Egypt shape the glory that
was Greece?', pp. 280-302) and Lawrence Tritle
('Black Athena: vision or dream of Greek
origins?', pp. 303-330). Arguing that 'no one has
ever doubted the Greek debt to Egypt and the East'
(p. 272), Vermeule's paper has the character of a
polemic against Bernal. She criticises 'the constant
perversion of facts in Bernal's second volume' (p.
273), and lambasts the work as 'a whirling confusion
of half-digested reading, bold linguistic
supposition, and preconceived dogma' (p. 277).
Coleman provides a calmer assessment of the evidence
for Greek origins; his conclusions are no less
dismissive of Bernal's claims. There is not a shred
of historical, archaeological or linguistic evidence
for a Hyksos invasion and colonisation of Greece in
the second millennium BC, whilst Bernal's uncritical
interpretation of Greek myth as historical fact
ignores 'the generally accepted tenets of rational
analysis' (p. 292). Tritle castigates Bernal for his
'simplistic' use of ancient sources, and points to a
serious weakness in his 'Revised Ancient Model':
although Black Athena argues for massive
Egyptian influence on early Greek civilization,
'Bernal never pauses to consider the essentially
isolationist nature of the ancient Egyptians' (p.
320). As Baines has already pointed out, Bernal's
misunderstandings of Egyptian civilization do great
damage to his argument.
Perhaps Black Athena's gravest contention
is that Classicists and ancient historians in the
West deliberately obscured the Afro-Asiatic origins
of Greek civilization, driven by motives of racism
and anti-Semitism. This is an immensely damaging
accusation for western scholarship as a whole, and no
fewer than six papers reply to Bernal's withering
criticism of western historiography. Edith Hall - in
the volume's most charitable response to Black
Athena ('When is a myth not a myth?: Bernal's
"Ancient Model"', pp. 333-348) - believes that 'we
... cannot dismiss Bernal's book out of hand' (p.
335). However, she argues that Black Athena
demonstrates an unsophisticated approach to myth, and
confuses subjective and objective ethnicity: 'there
is a world of difference between saying that the
Greeks were descendants of Egyptians and
Phoenicians, and saying that the Greeks
thought that they were descended from
Egyptians and Phoenicians' (p. 336). In his second
contribution to Black Athena Revisited,
'Eighteenth-century historiography in Black
Athena' (pp. 349-402), Robert Palter points to
'fundamental errors in [Bernal's] understanding of
eighteenth-century political, social, and cultural
history' (p. 350). Bernal is charged with wilfully
mis-reading eighteenth-century writers, labelling
them all as racists, and ignoring the ambivalence and
variety in their attitudes towards Greece and Egypt.
Palter, then, accuses Bernal of deliberate
selectivity in his scholarship, citing his 'all too
frequent failure to mention crucial facts whose
existence would be embarrassing or inconvenient for
him to acknowledge' (pp. 389-390). Bernal's
methodology comes under further attack (if further
were needed) from Mario Liverani ('The bathwater and
the baby', pp. 421-427), who characterises Black
Athena as 'politically disruptive and
historically regressive' (p. 424). Robert Norton
offers a specialist paper, 'The tyranny of Germany
over Greece?: Bernal, Herder, and the German
appropriation of Greece' (pp. 403-410), in which he
discusses the views of the German writer Herder. Once
again, Bernal is charged with mis-representation.
Richard Jenkyns assesses nineteenth-century
scholarship in 'Bernal and the nineteenth century'
(pp. 411-420): classicists and historians of the
period were certainly not blameless in their hidden
political agendas, but neither were they as uniformly
racist as Bernal paints them. This is also the
conclusion of Guy MacLean Rogers in the last paper of
the volume, 'Multiculturalism and the foundations of
western civilization' (pp. 428-443). In the greatest
of ironies, Black Athena's emphasis upon race
and ethnic origins unwittingly returns 'to the
nineteenth-century style of "race"-bound and
ethnocentric historiography that Bernal himself ...
has so rightly questioned' (p. 440).
If two points, of sadness and hope, emerge most
clearly from the critical responses to Black
Athena contained in this book, they are the
following: on the one hand, the self- defeating
argument of Bernal's work, which 'succumbs to exactly
the Eurocentrism it was written to combat' (p. 452);
on the other hand, the forceful belief that 'the
ancient cultures of Africa and the Near East do not
need to be the founders of the West to be worthy of
global interest and study; they are intrinsically
interesting' (p. 442).
Black Athena Revisited is an immensely
stimulating volume, offering a collection of
insightful articles by experts from a diversity of
disciplines. In this respect, Bernal has undoubtedly
done archaeologists and ancient historians a great
service, forcing 'would-be critics to expand their
horizons far beyond their areas of expertise' (p.
294). Bernal's central hypotheses are universally
rejected, although the papers in Black Athena
Revisited vary in tone from the polemical to the
constructively critical. Whilst one or two come
across as little more than extended attacks on Bernal
and his methods - perilously approaching character
assassination in one instance - other papers are
veritable gold-mines of the best of contemporary
scholarship. All contributors agree on the
fundamental shortcomings of Bernal's work, yet all
have seen the need to respond to one of the most
controversial and challenging academic enterprises of
this century. With parts three and four of Bernal's
magnum opus promised in the near future, one
thing is certain: Black Athena will be
revisited many more times before the debate subsides.

NOTES

[[1]] Martin Bernal, Black Athena: The Afro-
Asiatic roots of Classical Civilization. Vol. 1: The
fabrication of ancient Greece 1785-1985. (London
1987); Vol. II: The Archaeological and Documentary
Evidence (New Brunswick 1991).

There is something seriously wrong with you if you quoted anything from Mary Leftkowitz...

She is as racist as David Duke and less prettier than he...
You'll have to take her with a grain of salt along with the rest of your meds...

By the way, does Rush Limbaugh know your here?

Posts: 81 | From: Newark, Nj | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
Big up Newark.

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Yes we all know Dirk is the same as Glider. I don't see any point in resurrecting his old threads, especially when the fool creates several more a day.
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ and we know from the previous posts in this thread how much of an insidious anti-black Eurocentric you are. lol

quote:

"You're trying, but failing, to play both sides of the race concept
disagreeing with it where it doesn't effect you and plunging
headfirst into it when it suits your very personal purposes.
"
- great jew

Everyone knows you Mary, the gigs up. lol
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmericanPatriot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calling Dr Lefkowitz a racist is pathetic. That is a worn out stick that no longer works. Bernal lost the argument because he was unable to convince classical scholars he was correct. It is no more complicated than that. That happens everyday in academia.
Posts: 2069 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ But recent evidence has proven Bernal to to correct. And whether Lefkowitz is racist or not is besides the point. She is definitely Eurocentric, but she is also WRONG.

Both you and Lefkowitz are just misguided fools but at least you are not as deranged as the troll above you who thinks I'm Lefkowitz! LOL [Big Grin]

AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[Roll Eyes] No those are black Hispanics. I mean your 'typical' brown Hispanics in the US. LOL

What's a typical brown Hispanic in the U.S.?

What's the difference between a black, brown or white Hispanic?

You can also explain what a Hispanic is, and how does one qualify as such?

Please do elaborate..

Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmericanPatriot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One is an of Indian backround, the other is negroid.

You are a sick pup Djehuti and dumb as a brick. Bernal did not convince classical scholars of his points period. That is the end game. You do not make the rules on Egyptsearch for the scholarly community.
The FACT is classical scholars agree with lefkowitz. You can squeal all you want but nobody is listening.

Posts: 2069 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAmericanPatriot:
One is an of Indian backround, the other is negroid.

Perhaps you mean Native American and African?

Anyway, you make no sense. Basically you're telling me that to you there are no brown skin Hispanics who are of African descent? That they have to be Native American?

What about the Native Americans who mixed with Africans, or Africans who mixed with Spaniards throughout generations and became brown, are they to you Native Americans now?

I know many so called Hispanics who are brown and not of Native Amrican descent.

I'v seen Mexicans of Native American descent who are darker than Dominicans, Cubans or Puerto Ricans of obviously more African descent than anything else if any.

So what would the Dominicans, Puerto Ricans and Cubans be considered to you?

Btw on a side note do you really consider all "Hispanics" (from Latin America to the Caribbean) as the same which is why you would adhere to such a pigeonholed label of "Hispanic" to a people of various different cultural and ethnic backgrounds?

Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
No I did not say that. Obviously there are lighter skined negroids. In North America there are two BASIC groups of hispanics, one of Indian background, the other negroid.
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

quote:
No I did not say that. Obviously there are lighter skined negroids.

You already know well enough that Negroid is a defunct term.

quote:
In North America there are two BASIC groups of hispanics, one of Indian background, the other negroid.

This is absolute rubbish, and further shows your incompetence.

What basic groups of "Hispanics" are these?

You do know there are Mexicans, Cubans, Colombians, Ecuadorians, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, Bolivians, Panamanians, Peruvians etc... all living in north America; right?

According to your faulty logic they all fall into two simple groups?

Not quite the Native American, African, and Spanish ancestry varies considerably throughout each country so your inaccurate labels are totally ignorant to this diversity.

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Two basic groups. Obviously the groups you mentioned are subgroups under the general heading hispanic, at least the racial componet of that term.
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

quote:
Two basic groups.

According to what documentation?

You're so ignorant that it's sad.

Sorry but those are not two main groups and all so called Hispanics do not fall under those "racial" categories. The only thing that unites them under this fallacious label of "Hispanic" is the language they speak (Spanish).

Other than that people throughout these so called Hispanic countries have mixed long throughout generations.

Like I said, there are some "Hispanics" of more Native American and Spanish ancestry, some with more Spanish and African, some with more African and Native American, while a lot with all three combined....and then there are those who are, or lean towards the more pure African, Spaniard or Native American side as well.

The Native American, African, and Spanish ancestry varies considerably throughout each country and your inaccurate labels are totally ignorant to this diversity.

quote:
Obviously the groups you mentioned are subgroups under the general heading hispanic, at least the racial componet of that term

Wrong, the groups are not groups, but countries and in each country as Ive mentioned the Native American, African, and Spanish ancestry varies considerably.. they are all actually quite different.

Is this guy Native American, African or Spanish, and why?
 -

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
run along, you are just tryin to pick a fight. We are sayin the same thing moron. Look up the definition to the word basic.
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

quote:
run along, you are just tryin to pick a fight. We are sayin the same thing moron. Look up the definition to the word basic.

You dumb twit, we are not saying anything alike that's how slow you are.

You're saying there are only two kinds of "Hispanics" in north America, either African or Native American.

This is false, especially since there are millions who are both (Native American and African), and who also have Spanish ancestry as well.

They don't all fall into those simplistic categories you made up, sorry guy.

Btw again as already asked--please answer this--do you sincerely consider all "Hispanics" (from Latin America to the Caribbean) as the same which is why you would adhere to such a pigeonholed label of "Hispanic" to a people of various different cultural and ethnic backgrounds (Mexicans, Cubans, Colombians, Ecuadorians, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, Bolivians, Panamanians, Peruvians etc...) ?

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ serves you right for tryng to debate an illiterate red neck. lol
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hypatia
Member # 14164

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hypatia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I am past the hoodwinking and bamboozling, I not only know that the GODDESS came before the God but also that BLACK WOMEN Ruled Egypt FIRST AND FOREMOST:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah2mIB1NVMk&feature=PlayList&p=694582FE3DBC0BB6&index=0

Stevie Wonder even told Ray Charles that Akhenaten IV was a female, because he too, saw those hips and just knew it was a woman. Not only are so-Called Egyptologists out of touch with the true reality of Ta Meri ---they also got what they thought they knew ---wrong...!

Pharaoh Akhenaten IV And The Sun Disk
 -

quote:

OPEN YOUR BLACK RACIST EYES A LITTLE WIDER: AND SMILE!

-

REPEAT AFTER ME: ANCIENT EGYPT WAS NOT A BLACK AFRICAN NATION.

IT IS TIME THE WORLD KNEW THE TRUTH THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH AND SAW THE "GAY" GRECIAN MYTHS BACKED BY WESTERN CIVILIZATIONS ECHO FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS---B/S!
Posts: 56 | From: Norwood, OH | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com