EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Who began wearing the jallabiya, and the hattah.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who began wearing the jallabiya, and the hattah.
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have often wondered, who introduced what is now thought of, as "traditional Arab dress". The Arabs certainly didn't, in ancient stele they are depicted as shirtless and wearing kilts, the same as Egyptians. Having dark skin, they didn't need additional protection from the sun.

Which leads me to believe that this is a Turkish invention, Turks being Caucasians, would need to completely cover themselves for protection from the sun. Thus the use of the jallabiya (robes) and the hattah (headscarf). Any thoughts?

-

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:

Which leads me to believe that this is a Turkish invention, Turks being Caucasians, would need to completely cover themselves for protection from the sun. Thus the use of the jallabiya (robes) and the hattah (headscarf). Any thoughts?

-

I do recall reading that the headscarf was related to protection from headlice in this region. I may be wrong.
Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone
Member # 14116

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the people in the Mediterranean wore a loincloth. The shift probably came with advancements in the production of cloth and a wide accessibility in the antiquity.
I can imagine that in winter or at night these people still wore some sort of protection against the cold and with a larger availability they used cloth has a physical protection against the sun.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlights_search_results.aspx?searchText=Sebekhotep
Bronze age Canaanite.
 -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paestum
Paestum Graeco-Roman city Italy.
 -

Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^The garment covering the lower part of the body, worn by the Egyptians and other men of the region, is called a kilt. It was made of finely woven linen. It is in no-way related to the jallabiya and the hattah.

Likewise, I fail to see the relevance of the Paestum fresco: men in a bathhouse would likely be unclothed. However, it is interesting, in that it appears more Etruscan than Greek. And even more-so; in that it depicts the original inhabitants of Greece, rather than the later arriving Caucasian Greeks (hellenes).

This is another fresco from "Tomb of the Diver"

-

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com