EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » From Slave to Pharaoh: The Black Experience of Ancient Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: From Slave to Pharaoh: The Black Experience of Ancient Egypt
Imh0tep
Member # 15333

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imh0tep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Hi,
I was just browsing the net when I came across a most bizarre book. I was just wondering has anyone ever read this, it was published towards the end of 2004:

-

Synopsis:
In From Slave to Pharaoh, noted Egyptologist Donald B. Redford examines over two millennia of complex social and cultural interactions between Egypt and the Nubian and Sudanese civilizations that lay to the south of Egypt. These interactions resulted in the expulsion of the black Kushite pharaohs of the Twenty-fifth Dynasty in 671 B.C. by an invading Assyrian army. Redford traces the development of Egyptian perceptions of race as their dominance over the darker-skinned peoples of Nubia and the Sudan grew, exploring the cultural construction of spatial and spiritual boundaries between Egypt and other African peoples. Redford focuses on the role of racial identity in the formulation of imperial power in Egypt and the legitimization of its sphere of influence, and he highlights the dichotomy between the Egyptians' treatment of the black Africans it deemed enemies and of those living within Egyptian society. He also describes the range of responses - from resistance to assimilation - of subjugated Nubians and Sudanese to their loss of self-determination. Indeed, by the time of the Twenty-fifth Dynasty, the culture of the Kushite kings who conquered Egypt in the late eighth century B.C. was thoroughly Egyptian itself. Moving beyond recent debates between Afrocentrists and their critics over the racial characteristics of Egyptian civilization, From Slave to Pharaoh reveals the true complexity of race, identity, and power in Egypt as documented through surviving texts and artifacts, while at the same time providing a compelling account of war, conquest, and culture in the ancient world.

Reviews:
"This engrossing narrative takes us away from the modern racial politics into a world strikingly different from our own, where war and conquest were a present reality, and Egyptians and Nubians regarded each other as foreigners. Donald Redford shows us why historical writing, if it is to be truly informative, must always be based directly on ancient documents and accurate understanding of the archaeological evidence." - Mary Lefkowitz, author of Not Out of Africa and co-editor of Black Athena Revisited

"Donald Redford is one of the few scholars in Egyptology blessed with the ability to convey complex ideas in a lively manner that engages the attention of lay readers. At the same time, his historical insights and depth of knowledge are widely respected in the field, and in his new work, he shows why." - Ogden Goelet, New York University

Also I came across a site by the name of The Hall of Ma'at. It claims to have entries from "mainstream" egyptologists. On this site I was going through a previous thread from 2006 in which a doctoral student from Oxford University by the name of Katherine Griffis-Greenberg made the claim that the Egyptians were Levantines and spoke a semetic language. There was also an essay on the site entitled "Afrocentrist Linguistics."
I was just wondering; is there any element of truth to these claims. Also, are the studies of S.O.Y. Keita generally accepted by the general academia? Because going through the site it didn't seem as though they were.

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you want someone to do?

Maybe one of the other posters will point you to one of the many threads that have debunked the notion of the so called "Nubians" and the so called "Egyptian supremacy over the so called Nubians".

All you have to know is that whites/Europeans are sick. They have pathological levels of low self-esteem which then manifests itself in just some of the following forms:

* bogus racial hierarchies
* racial psuedoscience
* racial myths
* bogus history of the so called different races
* a deranged sense of vanity
* racial thievery of different groups of people from Chinese to Japanese to Persians to Africans.

Understand that and do a search of this site and you won't be going around to help spread their propaganda like you're doing now.

A couple of months from now you'll be posting and asking everyone is it true that the so called Nubians are caucasoid.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Common Euro tactic, easily unveiled for what it is. It is a typical case of sloppy Eurocentric scholarship where the author crams a bunch of off beat quotes against military adversaries, and strategically uses them as somehow supporting his racially inspired thesis. It is also full of horribly presented evidence that leads to a presumptuous title that has no bearing on actual history. Imagine him scanning thousands of documents for several negative descriptions of SOME Europeans, and generalizing it as a sentiment towards whites in general. Ironically, whites/Asiatics were not allowed to infiltrate the royal lineage, while "Nubians" (or southerners) were, which he even admits was evident in the 18th dynasty. I wonder why. [Roll Eyes]

The title, as stated is also very misleading.. Bruce Williams addresses this in a book review.

quote:
With a profound interest in the sources and the story they have to tell, Donald B. Redford brings to his work a lively critical imagination that makes it always fresh. Redford presents us with a discussion of relations between subsaharan Africa and Egypt, featuring prominently the brief, but triumphantly notable Twenty-fifth Dynasty. It deals with much the same subject as Robert Morkot's recent work, The Black Pharaohs: Egypt's Nubian Rulers (London, 2002).

It must be noted that the book's title does not reflect the actual subject well. The rulers of the Twenty-fifty Dynasty had never been slaves, nor were they descended from slaves, as far as we know. While the population of the Nubian Nile Valley had been occupied and colonized for the most part, they also had never been slaves

- Bruce Williams, The Journal of the American Oriental Society (Book review)

As for the Hall of Ma'at crap, it's just another website with no specific authority. We've engaged a few people from there (such as Jamie) whose discussions/debates spilled over on this side. Generally, if Jamie is any measure of what they have to offer, then I wouldn't pay them much mind. As far as Ancient Egyptians speaking Semitic and migrating from Levantine sources; ha! Just read this:

http://www.forumcityusa.com/viewtopic.php?t=319&mforum=africa

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-----------------------------
It must be noted that the book's title does not reflect the actual subject well. The rulers of the Twenty-fifty Dynasty had never been slaves, nor were they descended from slaves, as far as we know. While the population of the Nubian Nile Valley had been occupied and colonized for the most part, they also had never been slaves.
-----------------------------

Whites "need" to hear about Africans being slaves to some group that "they" deem as non-African. They obsessively crave it. They "need" to see it, hear it, and read about it even if it's a lie.

Again it can't be stressed enough that most of them are mentally sick.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Its propaganda like this that gets repeated often even by Africans themselves. Social misfits like Yonis and Ausarian "Ma Dick" are a godsend to whites/Europeans. They slavishly repeat the white man's propaganda like both of their respective middle names is Igor.

You people know Igor don't you? Here's a hint:

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS MASTERRRRRR"

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS MASTERRRRRR"

Really what mentally stable African on this planet would equate Africans as the world's slaves and call them gorillas?

Who would do that Sundiata? (you are Sundiata aren't you or are you someone else?) LOL

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argyle104:

Maybe one of the other posters will point you to one of the many threads that have debunked the notion of the so called "Nubians" and the so called "Egyptian supremacy over the so called Nubians".

All you have to know is that whites/Europeans are sick. They have pathological levels of low self-esteem which then manifests itself in just some of the following forms:

* racial psuedoscience
* racial myths
* racial thievery of different groups of people from Chinese to Japanese to Persians to Africans.

Understand that and do a search of this site and you won't be going around to help spread their propaganda like you're doing now.

A couple of months from now you'll be posting and asking everyone is it true that the so called Nubians are caucasoid.

ROFL [Big Grin] . You do have a thinnest slice of humanity in that black heart of yours. And a far greater sense of humor than most trolls we've had here.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gotta admit he is funny [Smile] I respect that. Can.'t say the same about akobo. He's just a garden variey troll lol.
Posts: 426 | From: Cali-for-nia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gotta admit he is funny [Smile] I respect that. Can.'t say the same about akobo. He's just a garden variey troll lol.
Posts: 426 | From: Cali-for-nia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ check out how the troll mmmkay posted two of the same spam in a row. lmao! A bit dazed and confused after you got exposed as the lying b***h you are in the Zimbabwe thread yes?

quote:
Who would do that Sundiata? (you are Sundiata aren't you or are you someone else?) LOL
He's an English major who doesnt know the meaning of the word "grudge". LOL
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Stop trolling you illiterate Caribbean pineapple farmer.. [Roll Eyes] Anyways...

quote:
Of course this is Sundiata. Same name, different spelling. In any event, I suppose only those deranged enough to assume that appeasing white people will somehow mitigate their own self-hatred. It's one of the great mysteries of mankind.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topic was thouroughly discused before:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003284;p=1#000017

this exact book and topic.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops didn't realize I made a double post. LMAO at akobo seizing on it to bring up an entirely unrelated topic(predicatble). A trolls a troll. [Big Grin]
fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Again it can't be stressed enough that most of them are mentally sick
oklahoma city bomber  -
unabomber  -
Atlanta Olympic bomber 1996  -
Columbine shooters  -
Neil Entwistle;Entwistle's motive to murder his wife and daughter, including mounting financial problems and his dissatisfaction with his sex life.
 -
straight criminals  -

--------------------
لا اله الا الله و محمد الرسول الله

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sundjata:
^Stop trolling you illiterate Caribbean pineapple farmer.. [Roll Eyes] Anyways...

AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!! [Big Grin] .
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argyle104:

* racial psuedoscience
* racial myths

I judge every post in and of itself.

I don't typically agree with Argyle, but this is generally on point.

The premise of the book, follows the pattern of national geographic - a racist and condescending view of Black history - passed off as some sort of compliment or tribute.

Which only reveals the maleviolence of the author, and allegation to which they would disingenuously plead "who me??", not guilty.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Titles you will never see:

"The white experience in Egypt", from nonexistence, to racist usurpation.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey White "I love America just fine in bondage" Sundiata, what's the meaning of grudge? You being an English major an all. LOL
quote:
Oops didn't realize I made a double post.
Thats what happens to trolls when they post too much s**t. LOL
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
Originally posted by akoben08:
Hey White "I love America just fine in bondage" Sundiata, what's the meaning of grudge? You being an English major an all. LOL

You tell me "I am a helpless, victimized, I hate everything, especially Jews" farm boy, but I am positive that it certainly isn't a working synonym for "envy". Only an illiterate farmer with no access to a dictionary would make such an elementarily false claim. [Smile]
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
what was the definition Obama cult follower? don't know who said it was "working synonym", is this your attempt to recover from your f**k up. LMAO!
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^What "phuck up"?? The point of contention was YOU implying that they (jealousy and "grudge") mean the same thing, which they do not.

I'd posted both definitions for all to see and you're still back tracking and saving face, bickering over one word that you were too embarrassed to admit that you're unfamiliar with, given its common usage in layman conversation. Why we are still talking about this is extremely weird to me and reflects a deep insecurity on your part.

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
oh no, not same thing; grudges can be borne out of jealousy, and they are certainly not as you say:

"two completely divergent concepts"
Jealousy: - Having to do with or arising from feelings of envy
Grudge: - envy something: to be envious or resentful of somebody for something

Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
oh no, not same thing; grudges can be borne out of jealousy, and they are certainly not as you say:

"two completely divergent concepts"
Jealousy: - Having to do with or arising from feelings of envy
Grudge: - envy something: to be envious or resentful of somebody for something

LOL, what a squirming illiterate you are.. This is just insane. No one uses Grudge in the context of envy when addressing someone bearing deep rooted issues with another person that are difficult to rectify. You once again used google scholarship to cherry pick your own definition and cherry pick one word out of the said definition.

The first and most conventional definition for the meaning of "grudge" is.

"A deep-seated feeling of resentment or rancor"

Synonyms (according to dictionary.com) are as follows: grievance, score
bitterness, rancor, rancour, resentment, gall

YOU are the one who implied that they mean the same thing. I accuse you of holding a grudge, you respond by denying that you are jealous. I explain that I didn't accuse you of being jealous, in which you write:

quote:
So if, as a result of your conceitedness, you accuse others of holding a "grudge" against you that is not accusing them of "jealousy"? Oh well.
And you also write:

quote:
you know that grudges are born out of jealousy
^^Which is obviously erroneous and shows your ignorance here.

^^These ARE divergent concepts as they diverge at the point of requirement. To be Jealous, one has to be jealous. To hold a grudge against someone, doesn't require being jealous of them. Totally different, they are not synonyms, they can't in any context be used interchangeably. So if I accuse you of holding a grudge, I am accusing you of holding a grudge, period. The reasons can be due to jealousy, hate, prejudice, contempt, revenge, whatever. Holding a grudge doesn't rely on any of the above in isolation. Hope that helps. Next time, pay attention in school. [Smile]

Though again, why we are still talking about this is very unusual. Maybe your dignity is at stake, but I'm sorry, there's nothing that you can do to get that back.

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Oh my god, even here you have to build straws! Never said they were synonyms or one has to require the other. said one can be born out of the other.

quote:

A GRUDGE is a feeling of resentment harbored because of some real or fancied wrong: to hold a grudge because of jealousy; She has a grudge against him.

and you talk about cherry pick? LOL

Its funny seeing you internet "scholars" rant against google when that is the library for you people. LOL

Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
Oh my god, even here you have to build straws! Never said they were synonyms or one has to require the other. said one can be born out of the other.

This is probably the dumbest discussion I've ever had on here so I will end it by pointing out why exactly it is that you're an idiot.

quote:

quote:
A GRUDGE is a feeling of resentment harbored because of some real or fancied wrong: to hold a grudge because of jealousy; She has a grudge against him.
Jealousy is NOT a synonym for grudge, nor does that reference even claim that to be so. It is listed as a reason WHY somebody would hold a grudge, which I've already explained:

I wrote: "The reasons [why one would potentially hold a grudge] can be due to jealousy, hate, prejudice, contempt, revenge, whatever. Holding a grudge doesn't rely on any of the above in isolation.

Weaseling around the fact that I'd already addressed that while pretending to discover something new is not impressive and only shows that you're saving face, which doesn't fool me.

quote:
and you talk about cherry pick? LOL
You ARE cherry picking the word "jealousy" and equating it with the word grudge, which you were chastised by me for in the first place.
Again:

YOU are the one who implied that they mean the same thing. I accuse you of holding a grudge, you respond by denying that you are jealous. I explain that I didn't accuse you of being jealous, in which you write:

quote:
So if, as a result of your conceitedness, you accuse others of holding a "grudge" against you that is not accusing them of "jealousy"? Oh well.
And you also write:

quote:
you know that grudges are born out of jealousy
^^Which is obviously erroneous and shows your ignorance here.

Grudge - A deep-seated feeling of resentment or rancor

The example they give:

bears a grudge about the accident.

^^Which has nothing to do with Jealousy! Owned!!

The way I used it in reference to you:

"settling a score" [after being embarrassed by me in another thread]

^^That was another contextual example they gave..

quote:
Its funny seeing you internet "scholars" rant against google when that is the library for you people. LOL
Anyways, no need to offer a reverse argument and try and turn this around on me. As can easily be seen above, google has failed you once more. Now piss off and try to discuss the thread topic. You lost. [Smile]
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
quote:
Jealousy is NOT a synonym for grudge
Where did I say it was? You still feel the need to build this straw, talk about weasel! Did I not state that grudges can be borne out of jealousy, as your own source shows? You are the one trying to weasel from this!

Obviously youre just pissed because you got caught cherry picking:

quote:
Grudge - A deep-seated feeling of resentment or rancor.... The example they give: bears a grudge about the accident.
Now complete text and conventional use from your own source dictionary.com

quote:
—Synonyms 1. bitterness, rancor, malevolence, enmity, hatred. GRUDGE, MALICE, SPITE refer to ill will held against another or others. A GRUDGE is a feeling of resentment harbored because of some real or fancied wrong: to hold a grudge because of jealousy; She has a grudge against him.
Stop buildings straws sharecropper Jnr, its not about winning or losing, only showing your dumb cherry picking ass for what it is.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com