EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: What if Carthage had Destroyed Rome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: What if Carthage had Destroyed Rome
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, Just think about how much History and Civilization would change, With out Rome Western Civilization would be almost inrecognizable.

In my assumption Carthage would have gained Control of Sicily, Sacked and burned Rome and History would have changed Drastically. I think Egypt and Ethiopia and Especially the Near East would have Rose, Carthage would have eventually expand terrirories and colonies furhter into Africa...Maybe evene trading with a young Empire on the Rise Ghana..."

I know that Western Civilization would be different...Rome is the stepping block of Western Civilization....The Engineering, The Latin Script, Christianity..ect.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Greece and its relationship with the muslims and their relationship to a 'Dark ages' Europe?

It was the Arabs who kept alive ancient Aegian and ancient black knowledge, and spread it throughout nearby Asia, Europe, and Africa.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alive-(What Box):
What about Greece and its relationship with the muslims and their relationship to a 'Dark ages' Europe?

It was the Arabs who kept alive ancient Aegian and ancient black knowledge, and spread it throughout nearby Asia, Europe, and Africa.

Remember that Rome was built on Greek Knowledge and Arabia was a province of Rome.

All the Provinces of Rome benifited greatly from being part of the Roman empire...If Carthage had dominated Sicily and Rome had failed to Expand further into Europe...how different would Civilization be...

Would we all have a universal Phonecian Script...instead of Latin. Would Africa and the Near East be the world powers of the day...?

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right, and it has turned out to be pretty much the opposite.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
I ask this becuase Carthage was a Multicultural Hub, a Small City with a Growing population. Carthage like Rome was a Power that expanded and depended on Provinces and Colonies...

Cathage was Highly successful and very innovative and influential...

Carthage would have expanded futher into Africa it was inevitable....Look at the Trade routes of Hanno the Navigator
 -
http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/hanno-the-navigator/

The exploits of Carthage are highly under played...

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoenicians were already a naval power before rome even existed. Not much would have changed if the Carthagians sacked rome, they were equally meditteranian orientated as romans and would have continued to establish tradiing posts along the medditeranian coasts. There was not much different between romans and phoenicians only in modern times did romans become über European, historically they were just as equally meditteranian as phoenicians the concept of Europe didn't exist among them.
Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jari-Ankhamun:

Ok, Just think about how much History and Civilization would change, With out Rome Western Civilization would be almost inrecognizable.

In my assumption Carthage would have gained Control of Sicily, Sacked and burned Rome and History would have changed Drastically. I think Egypt and Ethiopia and Especially the Near East would have Rose, Carthage would have eventually expand terrirories and colonies furhter into Africa...Maybe evene trading with a young Empire on the Rise Ghana..."

I know that Western Civilization would be different...Rome is the stepping block of Western Civilization....The Engineering, The Latin Script, Christianity..ect.

One thing's for sure. YOU, I, and the REST OF US WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN BORN.

You guys seem to have forgotten one of the laws of physics in time known as mass effect. In which even one small change in the past could drastically change the future to where entire individuals present today would not be born.

Take slavery in America for instance. Of course it was wrong what Europeans did, but if it weren't for slavery African Americans at least as they are today would not exist. If it wasn't for certain events farther back in the past Euroepean colonization would have been different or have not taken place at all yet. etc. etc.

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:

You guys seem to have forgotten one of the laws of physics in time known as mass effect. In which even one small change in the past could drastically change the future to where entire individuals present today would not be born.

Take slavery in America for instance. Of course it was wrong what Europeans did, but if it weren't for slavery African Americans at least as they are today would not exist. If it wasn't for certain events farther back in the past Euroepean colonization would have been different or have not taken place at all yet. etc. etc.

Boo the butterfly effect [Mad] lol..
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any of yall folks read Lion's Blood by Steven Barnes? It might have been that type of world...
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:

Im not wishing Ill on Rome or Western Civilization and its impact(African Slavery=African Americans...ect) I was just wondering how Carthage would have changed the spere of civilization if it would have won the Punic Wars

You are right though.

Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Djehuti writes:

This makes no sense, pending clarification.

quote:
Djehuti writes:

Take slavery in America for instance. Of course it was wrong what Europeans did, but if it weren't for slavery African Americans at least as they are today would not exist.

Hmmm; notwithstanding the acknowledgement of the "wrong" doing, this line sounds like an apologia for slavery. That little thing aside, past is the past; for instance, likewise, it can be said Europeans and non-Africans wouldn't have existed, if a bunch Africans did not make the decision to locate elsewhere. The past cannot be undone, but hopefully, new generations can look back on it, and learn from it. The real injustice, is not learning from past mistakes.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Obelisk_18:
Any of yall folks read Lion's Blood by Steven Barnes? It might have been that type of world...

No i have not but i have been putting off buying those books for a while. I think there is a sequel to one of them as well. I do think the OP's question would also make for a good alternative history book
Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com