EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Origins of Afro-Asiatic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Origins of Afro-Asiatic
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the majority of scholars think that Afro-Asiatic is of African origin, I've heard a case for an Asian origin put forward using Afro-Asiatic terms for animals of Asian origin. For instance, from here:

quote:
A minority suggests a linguistic homeland in the Levant (for instance Alexander Militarev; specifically, he identifies Afro-Asiatic with the Natufian culture), with Semitic being the only branch to stay put. [3]. This is in someway supported by fact that Afro Asiatic terms dominate the nouns for early livestock and crops from Anatolia and Iran, and from the probable Asian origin of Semitic languages around 4,600 BP to 4,800 BP.
And here:

quote:
Particularly those dealing with with animals. I had a brief look through the nouns for PAA, and quite striking was the number of words for goats and sheep. Also included were horses and camels. Since goats, horses and sheep and camels were not native to Holocene Africa prior to the neolithic, I’m reconsidering my support of an African origin for proto Afro Asiatic. Although, as has been kindly pointed out, the reconstructions are all pretty hazy for PAA, but still it’s suspicious.
If Afro-Asiatic is of African origin, why do they have words for animals not native to Africa?

BTW, I'm still in favor of an African origin for AA, because of the fact that there's greater diversity for that phylum in Africa than in Asia, but it still seems odd that the early Afrasans had words for animals they wouldn't have encountered.

Posts: 7078 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Concerning your first quote, that's wikipedia man. A lot of dumb arguments are posted on there for the sake of "neutrality" which is why the "minority" position is included. Why suppress it? Did you even notice for one second though that the source used to support that was Ehret? Ehret for crying out loud!! Why are you people so uncritical of wikipedia? Did you bother to ask yourself why the following statement isn't cited at all? Do you usually believe everything that random people (IP addresses and pseudonyms) write?

And concerning the second quote (devoid of citation..I had to search for it), conversely, the argument is that there are none. That Proto-AfroAsiatic was spoken by a non-food producing population as noted by established reconstructions of the language. Why you are citing Mathilda is beyond me. Is she a professional linguist? Does she cite a source for her reconstructions? You take it for granted that she knows what she's talking about albeit that she can't replicate this data with backing from other scholars to confirm it. Lacking the proper training, she can easily be confused or can be simply distorting data intentionally (how can we ever know?).

quote:
IN THEIR REVIEW “FARMERS AND THEIR
languages: the first expansions” (25 Apr.
2003, p. 597), J. Diamond and P. Bellwood
suggest that food production and the
Afroasiatic language family were brought
simultaneously from the Near East to
Africa by demic diffusion, in other words,
by a migration of food-producing peoples.
In resurrecting this generally abandoned
view, the authors misrepresent the views of
the late I. M. Diakonoff (1), rely on
linguistic reconstructions inapplicable to
their claims (2), and fail to engage the five
decades of Afroasiatic scholarship that
rebutted this idea in the first place. This
extensive, well-grounded linguistic research
places the Afroasiatic homeland in the
southeastern Sahara or adjacent Horn of
Africa (3–8) and, when all of Afroasiatic’s
branches are included, strongly indicates a
pre–food-producing proto-Afroasiatic
economy (1, 7, 8).

http://wysinger.homestead.com/afroasiatic_-_keita.pdf

I like Akoben's quote about people's minds being so open that their brains fall out. No offense, but c'mon now. Be more critical.

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've decided to send an e-mail to Ehert asking him about this. As the world's foremost expert on the Afro-Asiatic phylum, he probably knows more about this than Mathilda.

Here is the text of my e-mail:

quote:
Dear Mr. Ehert,

I am a student of physical anthropology who is interested in African history. Now, recently, I have met someone who claims that proto-Afro-Asiatic contains words for animals of Asian origin, such as horses, goats, sheep, and camels. She thinks that the presence of these words proves an Asian rather than African origin for the phylum. Unfortunately, she did not cite a source for her assertions.

Does any reconstruction of proto-Afro-Asiatic that you know of contain words for these Asian animals? If so, how would a language phylum that originated in Africa, as you have asserted, acquire words for Asian wildlife?

Sincerely,

Brandon Pilcher

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7078 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Nice.. Let us know when/if you get a reply.

--------------------
mr.writer.asa@gmail.com

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And whats wrong with Ehret as a source on this? Does someone have a problem with him? Some in here would object to that. [Roll Eyes]

-

Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^Who implied that? Are you that stupid?
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ are you that gullible. lol
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^^No, but I see now that you really are THAT stupid by implying that I have a problem with Christopher Ehret. Only a side-show freak who refuses to heed context or cite-check like any other responsible person would before rendering an opinion, would infer that from the above.

The first quote I responded to references Alexander Militarev's hypothesis yet they sloppily source him indirectly by citing a man whose only reason for mentioning his view was to refute it. Meaning, to prove an Asian origin for Afro-Asiatic they cite a proponent of the widely held African origin (absurd!). The fact that you missed that, and the fact that T. Rex missed that, suggests to me that you both may need a bit more practice at this. T. Rex has an excuse as he's truly a neophyte. You on the other hand, are truly dumb and you prove it with out fail once again.

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
"Heed context", I like that. Reminds me of Yurco and a certain someone. lol

Hey, but keep this up and you really prove my point gullible one. [Roll Eyes]

Sundjata
Member # 13096

^Man, you don't even make sense right now. All of these dumb non-sequiturs. Stop trying to distract attention away from the fact that you thought that I had a problem with Ehret based on your lack of discernment and cite-checking. You are a fraud who speaks before he knows what's going on.
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
^ you're a gullible negro who thinks he "got" some thing now. [Razz]
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^ I do.. You are dumb and don't even check sources before you comment on them or the people addressing them. You are a fraud.
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
No no no! It is **you** who is the dumb fraud! You did have a problem with Chris and **you** know it!!! [Roll Eyes]

-

Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
Originally posted by akoben:
No no no! It is **you** who is the dumb fraud! You did have a problem with Chris and **you** know it!!! [Roll Eyes]

The fact that you still think that (even after I cited his work in the same post!) proves my case.

Damn, how far will these dingbats go to save face? [Roll Eyes] Fraud...

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
No you are the fraud!

quote:
^Concerning your first quote, that's wikipedia man. A lot of dumb arguments are posted on there for the sake of "neutrality" which is why the "minority" position is included. Why suppress it? Did you even notice for one second though that the source used to support that was Ehret? Ehret for crying out loud!! Why are you people so uncritical of wikipedia? Did you bother to ask yourself why the following statement isn't cited at all? Do you usually believe everything that random people (IP addresses and pseudonyms) write?

And concerning the second quote (devoid of citation..I had to search for it), conversely, the argument is that there are none. That Proto-AfroAsiatic was spoken by a non-food producing population as noted by established reconstructions of the language. Why you are citing Mathilda is beyond me. Is she a professional linguist? Does she cite a source for her reconstructions? You take it for granted that she knows what she's talking about albeit that she can't replicate this data with backing from other scholars to confirm it. Lacking the proper training, she can easily be confused or can be simply distorting data intentionally (how can we ever know?).

[Razz]
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^^Nigga I know what I wrote. The question is, do you? Obviously not because you can't read..

quote:
The first quote I responded to references Alexander Militarev's hypothesis yet they sloppily source him indirectly by citing a man whose only reason for mentioning his view was to refute it. Meaning, to prove an Asian origin for Afro-Asiatic they cite a proponent of the widely held African origin (absurd!). The fact that you missed that, and the fact that T. Rex missed that, suggests to me that you both may need a bit more practice at this. T. Rex has an excuse as he's truly a neophyte. You on the other hand, are truly dumb and you prove it with out fail once again.

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Nigga I gots this!! And no you don't know what you write!! You're a fraud. Yes you are, yes you are... [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Sundjata:
 - ^Concerning your first quote, that's wikipedia man. A lot of dumb arguments are posted on there for the sake of "neutrality" which is why the "minority" position is included. Why suppress it? Did you even notice for one second though that the source used to support that was Ehret? Ehret for crying out loud!! Why are you people so uncritical of wikipedia? Did you bother to ask yourself why the following statement isn't cited at all? Do you usually believe everything that random people (IP addresses and pseudonyms) write?

quote:
IN THEIR REVIEW “FARMERS AND THEIR
languages: the first expansions” (25 Apr.
2003, p. 597), J. Diamond and P. Bellwood
suggest that food production and the
Afroasiatic language family were brought
simultaneously from the Near East to
Africa by demic diffusion, in other words,
by a migration of food-producing peoples.
In resurrecting this generally abandoned
view, the authors misrepresent the views of
the late I. M. Diakonoff (1), rely on
linguistic reconstructions inapplicable to
their claims (2), and fail to engage the five
decades of Afroasiatic scholarship that
rebutted this idea in the first place. This
extensive, well-grounded linguistic research
places the Afroasiatic homeland in the
southeastern Sahara or adjacent Horn of
Africa (3–8) and, when all of Afroasiatic’s
branches are included, strongly indicates a
pre–food-producing proto-Afroasiatic
economy (1, 7, 8).

http://wysinger.homestead.com/afroasiatic_-_keita.pdf

I like Akoben's quote about people's minds being so open that their brains fall out. No offense, but c'mon now. Be more critical.  -

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Continuing to cite what I wrote accompanied by stupid emoticons does you no good you phoney scholar you. You've been exposed and I will continue to use this against you. [Smile]

--------------------
mr.writer.asa@gmail.com

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
^ LOL you mean like your Yurco **** up where you "heed context"?

I can see that beat down made quite an impression on you!

-

Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:

All I know is that only someone with the IQ of a moon rock would be so dumb to suggest what you did after reading what I wrote and referenced above. The fraud is caught with his tail between his legs and knows not what to do... Play it off, play it off, play it off.. [Smile] You are ruined.
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Continuing to cite what I wrote accompanied by stupid emoticons does you no good you phoney scholar you.

Aha but this is all he is good for, if you take this then what does he have? lol

quote:
You've been exposed and I will continue to use this against you. [Smile]

Indeed.
Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

All I know is that only someone with the IQ of a moon rock would be so dumb to suggest what you did after reading what I wrote and referenced above. The fraud is caught with his tail between his legs and knows not what to do... Play it off, play it off, play it off.. [Smile] You are ruined.
I gotta tell ya, for someone who pretends to be so intelligent you sure are dumb. [Razz]
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^Good comeback.. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Aha but this is all he is good for, if you take this then what does he have? lol
He's "smiling" on the outside but crying on the inside. Doesn't fool anyone.

--------------------
mr.writer.asa@gmail.com

Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by T. Rex:

If Afro-Asiatic is of African origin, why do they have words for animals not native to Africa?

Simple: The words for animals that were presumably not native to Africa were named so by the folks who adopted Proto-Afrasan languages from Africa.

quote:

BTW, I'm still in favor of an African origin for AA, because of the fact that there's greater diversity for that phylum in Africa than in Asia

Indeed. Which is why it is ridiculous to even imagine that it was introduced from outside. The only area supposedly "outside" of mainland Africa that has a *single* Afrasan sub-phylum, is the "Near Eastern" portion of the Great Rift Valley. The Great Rift Valley is literally a portion of Africa, with one piece already drifting away, and one cracking away slowly. So, I don't know why it is astonishing to some that Afrasan languages are only spoken in territories just next door to Africa, the point of origin, and yet, not elsewhere. Is that a coincidence or what?

quote:
but it still seems odd that the early Afrasans had words for animals they wouldn't have encountered.
If these are Afrasan speakers in the so-called "Near East", then "early" would be a relative word, as they had inherited from Africans who spoke an Afrasan phylum before they did. Nothing odd about that, unless you care to elaborate.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
quote:

quote:
^ well if it makes you feel better about yourself after your Yurco **** up. And to think, you are so "perceptive"! lol
Quetzalcoatl
Member # 12742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quetzalcoatl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehret as well as Keita already wrote about this in a letter to Science

CHRISTOPHER EHRET, S. O. Y. KEITA, PAUL NEWMAN 20004 SCIENCE 306: 1680-1681.

quote:
IN THEIR REVIEW “FARMERS AND THEIR languages: the first expansions” (25 Apr. 2003, p. 597), J. Diamond and P. Bellwood suggest that food production and the Afroasiatic language family were brought simultaneously from the Near East to Africa by demic diffusion, in other words, by a migration of food-producing peoples. In resurrecting this generally abandoned view, the authors misrepresent the views of
the late I. M. Diakonoff (1), rely on linguistic reconstructions inapplicable to their claims (2), and fail to engage the five decades of Afroasiatic scholarship that rebutted this idea in the first place. This extensive, well-grounded linguistic research
places the Afroasiatic homeland in the southeastern Sahara or adjacent Horn of Africa (3–8) and, when all of Afroasiatic’s
branches are included, strongly indicates a pre–food-producing proto-Afroasiatic economy (1, 7, 8).

Posts: 833 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
quote:

quote:
^ well if it makes you feel better about yourself after your Yurco **** up. And to think, you are so "perceptive"! lol
You have the credibility of a random loser who comments on things he doesn't even read. Why take this seriously? You're exposed and nothing you say can be trusted anymore because it is likely that you are improvising and not basing what you say on any particular literature. You are saving face because everyone can easily see that you're a fraud. [Big Grin]
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Ah...based on this nothing you say can be trusted c/o your Yurco **** up. [Eek!]
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^Man, you don't even make sense right now. All of these dumb non-sequiturs.

^ doesn't make sense, right now? [Big Grin]

jackass akoben has been on the crack pipe for years.

use him, for amusement, what else are jackassess good for?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Just got my response from Ehert. This is what he had to say:

quote:
Dear Mr. Pilcher,
There are absolutely no valid reconstructions of terms for
specifically Asian animals back to the proto-Afroasiatic language.

Note the adjective 'specifically.'

One book on Afroasiatic reconstruction by Orel and Stolbova includes a number of proposed root terms, some of which probably do reconstruct fairly far back in Afroasiatic language history, which in one branch of the family or another refer to a sheep or a goat, but which in other branches (often not noted by Orel and Stolbova) refer to African antelope species. There are also a very few terms which always denote goats or sheep
but which are suspect as or can be demonstrated to be loanwords that spread long after the family diverged into branches. They indicate the diffusion of the animals from Asia but not of people.

There is a valid old root word for 'cow', but cows were a wild
animal of the Sahara, probably as far south as Eritrea, as well as
the regions from Europe to India. The presence of a name for the cow is thus not diagnostic of an extra-African origin for the
family. In any case the term does not go back to the very earliest
stage, the proto-Afroasiatic period. A single domestic animal, the donkey, does have a validly reconstructible Afroasiatic root word, but the donkey's wild area was Africa, not Asia, and the donkey was domesticated by Afroasiatic speakers in Africa.

Some things to read:
C. Ehret, “Linguistic Stratigraphies and Holocene History in
Northeastern Africa.” In Marek Chlodnicki and Karla Kroeper
(ed.), Archaeology of Early Northeastern Africa, pp.
1019-1055. Posnan: Posnan Archaeological Museum, 2006.
C. Ehret. “Applying the Comparative Method in Afroasiatic
(Afrasan, Afrasisch).” In Rainer Voigt (ed.). „From Beyond
the Mediterranean”: Akten des 7. internationalen
Semitohamitistenkongresses (VII. ISHaK), Berlin 13. bis 15.
September 2004, pp. 43-70. Aachen: Shaker Verlag, 2007.
The first article contains lists of the valid root word
reconstructions and explains the several that have spread by
diffusion. The second article explains how to take apart the
mistaken reconstructions of the few scholars who claim to
reconstruct words for the animals. You have seen our letter in
Science critiquing claims of an Asian origin for the family,
perhaps? Ehret, S. O. Y. Keita, and Paul Newman. “The Origins of
Afroasiatic,” Science 306 (3 December 2004): 1680-1681.
Hope this is helpful,
Professor Ehret

BTW, he sent me a second e-mail:

quote:
I meant to mention one other thing. I do not know how physical anthropologists and geneticists got onto the misspelling "Afro-Asiatic"; but the name is and always has been throughout the literature 'Afroasiatic.' Whenever you have the chance please do encourage people to get this right. I am a contributor to an article just now submitted to Science, and along with valid commentary, we got the goofy comment that somehow we were substituting a new name for an established term. Of course, we weren't. It was the commentator and unfortunately genetics more widely that have got the name wrong. So at least you now know. (I will be adding a note to the supplementary material that explains this confusion, so one hopes that will help reach a wider audience.)
Sincerely,
Christopher Ehret

Sundjata
Member # 13096

^^Excellent stuff T. Rex! Looks like just asking the man paid off. Thanx for posting it in here as well, I learned a few things reading that.
Apocalypse
Member # 8587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apocalypse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very, very, good post T-Rex. The thing I'd like to see is an attempt to link proto Afroasiatic to other African languages. Logic dictates that there must be a link because of common ancestry (of most Africans) in the E clade. Admittedly it may be too far back in time to come up with any valid reconstruction.
Posts: 1038 | From: Franklin Park, NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novel
Member # 14348

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Novel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I meant to mention one other thing. I do not know how physical anthropologists and geneticists got onto the misspelling "Afro-Asiatic"; but the name is and always has been throughout the literature 'Afroasiatic.' Whenever you have the chance please do encourage people to get this right. I am a contributor to an article just now submitted to Science, and along with valid commentary, we got the goofy comment that somehow we were substituting a new name for an established term. Of course, we weren't. It was the commentator and unfortunately genetics more widely that have got the name wrong. So at least you now know. (I will be adding a note to the supplementary material that explains this confusion, so one hopes that will help reach a wider audience.)
Sincerely,
Christopher Ehret

Great Job, T Rex!

I will make certain to use, Afroasiatic, properly spelled when writing.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Props to T-Rex, good work.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

There are also a very few terms which always denote goats or sheep
but which are suspect as or can be demonstrated to be loanwords that spread long after the family diverged into branches. They indicate the diffusion of the animals from Asia but not of people.

Which essentially supports what I related earlier...

"Simple: The words for animals that were presumably not native to Africa were named so by the folks who adopted Proto-Afrasan languages from Africa."

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, great post by T. Rex, perhps this forum can have a rebirth.
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just got my response from Ehert. This is what he had to say:

quote:
Dear Mr. Pilcher,
There are absolutely no valid reconstructions of terms for
specifically Asian animals back to the proto-Afroasiatic language.

Note the adjective 'specifically.'

One book on Afroasiatic reconstruction by Orel and Stolbova includes a number of proposed root terms, some of which probably do reconstruct fairly far back in Afroasiatic language history, which in one branch of the family or another refer to a sheep or a goat, but which in other branches (often not noted by Orel and Stolbova) refer to African antelope species. There are also a very few terms which always denote goats or sheep

There is a valid old root word for 'cow', but cows were a wild
animal of the Sahara, probably as far south as Eritrea, as well as
the regions from Europe to India. The presence of a name for the cow is thus not diagnostic of an extra-African origin for the
family. In any case the term does not go back to the very earliest
stage, the proto-Afroasiatic period. A single domestic animal, the donkey, does have a validly reconstructible Afroasiatic root word, but the donkey's wild area was Africa, not Asia, and the donkey was domesticated by Afroasiatic speakers in Africa.

Some things to read:
C. Ehret, “Linguistic Stratigraphies and Holocene History in
Northeastern Africa.” In Marek Chlodnicki and Karla Kroeper
(ed.), Archaeology of Early Northeastern Africa, pp.
1019-1055. Posnan: Posnan Archaeological Museum, 2006.
C. Ehret. “Applying the Comparative Method in Afroasiatic
(Afrasan, Afrasisch).” In Rainer Voigt (ed.). „From Beyond
the Mediterranean”: Akten des 7. internationalen
Semitohamitistenkongresses (VII. ISHaK), Berlin 13. bis 15.
September 2004, pp. 43-70. Aachen: Shaker Verlag, 2007.
The first article contains lists of the valid root word
reconstructions and explains the several that have spread by
diffusion. The second article explains how to take apart the
mistaken reconstructions of the few scholars who claim to
reconstruct words for the animals. You have seen our letter in
Science critiquing claims of an Asian origin for the family,
perhaps? Ehret, S. O. Y. Keita, and Paul Newman. “The Origins of
Afroasiatic,” Science 306 (3 December 2004): 1680-1681.
Hope this is helpful,
Professor Ehret

quote:
Sincerely,
Christopher Ehret

yes thanks very much - its great to hear feedback from true scholars and great Africanists. This helps to clear up things.
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com