EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » I am considering writing a book about ancient Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am considering writing a book about ancient Egypt
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be non-fiction and informative. The question is, what topic should I choose for my book? Is there a particular subject you'd like me to explore?
Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The archaeological,anthropological and genetic evidence of ancient Egypt's connection to Africa.

The useage of herbs and natural remedies.

Childrearing pratices of the ancient Egyptians.

The customs and cultures of the ancient Egyptians and how they releate to Africa and the rural modern Egyptians.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
The archaeological,anthropological and genetic evidence of ancient Egypt's connection to Africa.

I think I'll do this.

The question is, what books should I look into for my bibliography?

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just use journal articles. Find somebody with University library acess or obtain through interlibrary loan.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

I put more thought into it, and I decided that although I definitely want to do a chapter on the African origin of the Egyptians, I want the rest of the book to focus on the achievements of the Egyptians (architecture, science, medicine, etc.) and their influence on the rest of the world. As much as I want to make people realize that Egypt is an African culture, the Egyptians are most important because of what they did, not because of their skin color.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmericanPatriot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would never mention skin color if you want anyone to take you seriously.
Posts: 2069 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAmericanPatriot:

You mean if he wants White people to buy it, don't you.

You people really need to get over it. After all these many centuries "The TRUTH is finally OUT" deal with it!!!

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pheeeest" T.Rex,do mention the fact that they were black skinned, as a metter o fact you would have to if you ever used the name "Kemet",that why I am all for using the origin names for people as much as possible, give them an explaination of what it means, and if you are smart you would ask Altakruri and Wally for permission to use some of their works and credit them of course. If the so called establishment comes out against it then they would would have to give their explainations and you have your rebuttal,anyway if it's a good read it's a win,win situation for you as everyone will be discussing your book.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmericanPatriot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right and if you follow Branda's advice you'll be ignored. You guys just do not get it. You cannot just say something and be taken seriously. People go to school for years studying this stuff and they are not going to listen to half baked, radical ideas put out there by the black guys on egyptsearch.
Posts: 2069 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T.ReX is on E/S but he does not ID himself as black.anyways what does it matter if he were black.black folks can't tell the truth about history??
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Not if they do not have the training. It is not a matter of truth, it is a matter of scholarship and there is not much here.
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyro, just be real and aware.

Try to convey that usage of "black", is historically a reference to a group skin color that is relatively and comparatively dark outside of situations when people all identify as having a common origin.

It would be cool to string in the black soil ruse some where near where the nubian-egyptian dichotomy that has mainly came to exist in the mind of some Westerners. Oh, and it should be mentioned where Km.t-nwt's very first nome was located: in what is today Sudan, in the "nubian" region.

It might be nice to mention all the earliest settle ments in the Upper Nile, as well as the fact that the river wasn't really inhabited in the pre PreDynastic era, but the surrounding grasslands/wetlands that have now receeded South to the Sahara.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
a book like that would sell 20 copies Whatbox. None of the reviews or Journals would give it the time of day. You might sell a few copies on afronut web sites but that would be it.
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Yeah and I would be one of those 20,should he come out with a decent read.As a matter o fact I would push his or anybody elses on E/S providing that it was the truth and they are as precise as possible.But you shouldn't dwell on skin color and what not thru out the entire book for that would be the least intresting thing about them.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In other words, instead of writing a scholarly book that is straight forward with the facts try to appease the satus quo by not doing so! LOL
quote:

Right and if you follow Branda's advice you'll be ignored. You guys just do not get it. You cannot just say something and be taken seriously. People go to school for years studying this stuff and they are not going to listen to half baked, radical ideas put out there by the black guys on egyptsearch.

There is nothing 'radical' about stating the FACT that as indigenous Africans the ancient Egyptians were black and their culture is related to other indigenous cultures of Africa.
quote:
Not if they do not have the training. It is not a matter of truth, it is a matter of scholarship and there is not much here.
[Eek!] And all this time I thought scholarship is about truth and not some spun half-baked lies based on cultural propaganda that is Eurocentrism!!
quote:
a book like that would sell 20 copies Whatbox. None of the reviews or Journals would give it the time of day. You might sell a few copies on afronut web sites but that would be it.
LOL Even if the book relies on academic and scientific journals and studies the likes of which we cite practically everyday here?!!

Seriously professor, you are one silly lunatic! [Embarrassed]

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Ignoring TAP...

I'm sorry to say that it may take a while before I start this book. I have a lot of reading on this subject to do, particularly with regards to archaeology.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, T-rex ignore the moronic musings of the nutty professor 'Pat' and listen to Ausar

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

The useage of herbs and natural remedies.

Childrearing pratices of the ancient Egyptians.

The customs and cultures of the ancient Egyptians and how they releate to Africa and the rural modern Egyptians.

Lord knows this forum has provided you more than enough ample evidence from scholarly works-- archaeology, physical anthropology, genetics, linguistics, etc. etc.

I think the professor knows this and he is afraid of having his eurocentric delusions shattered by a book that exposes this all to the general public! Hence, the discouragement.

Shake the haters off!

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by T. Rex:

Ignoring TAP...

I'm sorry to say that it may take a while before I start this book. I have a lot of reading on this subject to do, particularly with regards to archaeology.

In regards to archaeology, the records are quite clear that Egyptian culture is indigenous to the Nile Valley Africa and it's roots arose from the south in the Sudan, from the West in Libya, and in the east in the Red Sea coasts.

Here are a list of archaeologists whose works come in handy: Frank Yurco, Kent Weeks, Michael Rice, Ian Shaw, Barbara Lesko-- all agree on the indigneous (black) African origins of Egyptian culture.

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
as soon as they hear the word "black" the book will be discredited as another afronut piece that mainstream schoars are weary of. T if you want to write a good book go get an education, and that wilol take 10 years, so your book might at least have some standing.
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, T-Rex. Keep us in the loop as your project moves forward.

--------------------
Black Roots.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

as soon as they hear the word "black" the book will be discredited as another afronut piece that mainstream schoars are weary of. T if you want to write a good book go get an education, and that wilol take 10 years, so your book might at least have some standing.

Sorry Pat, but not everyone is as racist as you. Many people are fascinated with and have interest in ancient Egypt and I believe many of those same peoples' fascinations and interests will only increase once they learn the truth about the black African identity of the Egyptians. It's what has happened to me years ago and it's what's happened to others I know. [Embarrassed]
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Academians laugh at you guys Djehuti. They fully understand what a big mistake we made in the 70's adding all of these afro programs. Many are not being funded as they once were and some can be wrapped into other departments. All they do is irritate legit scholars with their political crap. Many are not smart at all as they got their degrees via affirimative action programs.
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
Originally posted by T. Rex:

Ignoring TAP...

In regards to archaeology, the records are quite clear that Egyptian culture is indigenous to the Nile Valley Africa and it's roots arose from the south in the Sudan, from the West in Libya, and in the east in the Red Sea coasts.

Here are a list of archaeologists whose works come in handy: Frank Yurco, Kent Weeks, Michael Rice, Ian Shaw, Barbara Lesko-- all agree on the indigneous (black) African origins of Egyptian culture.

This is a lie. Frank Yurco does not see Egyptians as "black". ["Were the Ancient Egyptians Black or White?" By Frank Yurco (BAR magazine, Sept./Oct. 1989).] I don't know about the others but Yurco's opinions are clear, and as usual you are liar Mary.
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
In the 70's adding all of these afro programs.
^^That's whats bugging you ain't it Pat?. The fact that black folks and others demanded that their stories be told and their contributions recognized.For you knew even back then it marked a turning point in the belief of the myth of white-supremacy,not only to yourself but perhaps more importantly your Black,Brown and Yellow skinned students,who will never look at you and themselves in the same light ever again.

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
No it is no turning point Banda. They have become the joke of the campus because they step on everyone's toes with their non scholarly racist ideology. Chinese kids and Mexicans are not a problem. They come in and learn and do well. In fact most of the black kids are fine. It is these bitter, political afronuts who cause a problem, such as it is. When Lefkowitz and others started speaking out, as have I as well, the tide bagan to turn back.

There is no substitute for good scholarship. By the way one of my best friends is a black political science prof who thinks you guys are all crazy.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Upon further reflection, I've decided that I don't have time for a whole book on Egypt. I'm thinking instead of writing an essay, one concerning its African origins.

The question is, where can I get an essay published?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
you probably can't. You need at least a Masters in Egyptology before anyone will look at it, a PHD will help. None of the scholarly journals would publish an article by a layman.
You might try something like Ebony magazine but even that would be hard,

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No it is no turning point Banda. They have become the joke of the campus because they step on everyone's toes with their non scholarly racist ideology. Chinese kids and Mexicans are not a problem. They come in and learn and do well. In fact most of the black kids are fine. It is these bitter, political afronuts who cause a problem, such as it is. When Lefkowitz and others started speaking out, as have I as well, the tide bagan to turn back.

Even Afrocentric critic Mary Leftokwitz admits that Egypt was peopled by persons from sub-Saharan Africa:

"Recent work on skeletons and DNA suggests that the people who settled in the Nile valley, like all of humankind, came from somewhere south of the Sahara; they were not (as some nineteenth-century scholars had supposed) invaders from the North. See Bruce G. Trigger, "The Rise of Civilization in Egypt," Cambridge History of Africa (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1982), vol I, pp 489-90; S. O. Y. Keita, "Studies and Comments on Ancient Egyptian Biological Relationships," History in Africa 20 (1993) 129-54.
(Mary Lefkotitz (1997). Not Out of Africa: How Afrocentrism Became an Excuse to Teach Myth as History. Basic Books. pg 242) [/QB][/QUOTE]

In Black Athena Revisited, even Lefkowitz admits similarity between Egyptians and Sudanics and recommends the work of conservative anthropologist Nancy Lovell for more research on the subject.

Quote:
"not surprisingly, the Egyptian skulls were not very distance from the Jebel Moya [a Neolithic site in the southern Sudan] skulls, but were much more distance from all others, including those from West Africa. Such a study suggests a closer genetic affinity between peoples in Egypt and the northern Sudan, which were close geographically and are known to have had considerable cultural contact throughout prehistory and pharaonic history... Clearly more analyses of the physical remains of ancient Egyptians need to be done using current techniques, such as those of Nancy Lovell at the University of Alberta is using in her work.."

Lefkotitz cites Keita 1993 in Not Out of Africa. Here is Keita on the Jebel Moya studies:

"Overall, when the Egyptian crania are evaluated in a Near Eastern (Lachish) versus African (Kerma, Jebel Moya, Ashanti) context) the affinity is with the Africans. The Sudan and Palestine are the most appropriate comparative regions which would have 'donated' people, along with the Sahara and Maghreb. Archaeology validates looking to these regions for population flow (see Hassan 1988)... Egyptian groups showed less overall affinity to Palestinian and Byzantine remains than to other African series, especially Sudanese." [/img]
S. O. Y. Keita, "Studies and Comments on Ancient Egyptian Biological Relationships," History in Africa 20 (1993) 129-54

Here is the work of the anthropologist so strongly recommended by Lefkowitz, Nancy Lovell:

"There is now a sufficient body of evidence from modern studies of skeletal remains to indicate that the ancient Egyptians, especially southern Egyptians, exhibited physical characteristics that are within the range of variation for ancient and modern indigenous peoples of the Sahara and tropical Africa.. In general, the inhabitants of Upper Egypt and Nubia had the greatest biological affinity to people of the Sahara and more southerly areas." (Nancy C. Lovell, " Egyptians, physical anthropology of," in Encyclopedia of the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt, ed. Kathryn A. Bard and Steven Blake Shubert, ( London and New York: Routledge, 1999) pp 328-332)

and

"must be placed in the context of hypotheses informed by archaeological, linguistic, geographic and other data. In such contexts, the physical anthropological evidence indicates that early Nile Valley populations can be identified as part of an African lineage, but exhibiting local variation. This variation represents the short and long term effects of evolutionary forces, such as gene flow, genetic drift, and natural selection, influenced by culture and geography." ("Nancy C. Lovell, " Egyptians, physical anthropology of," in Encyclopedia of the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt, ed. Kathryn A. Bard and Steven Blake Shubert, ( London and New York: Routledge, 1999). pp 328-332)

The same Nancy Lovell recommended by Lefkowitz studied dental traits among some high status persons of the key Egyptian Naqada group and found that they resembled the peoples of Nubia.

T. Prowse, and N. Lovell "Concordance of cranial and dental morphological traits and evidence for endogamy in ancient Egypt"
American journal of physical anthropology. 1996, vol. 101, no2, pp. 237-246 (2 p.1/4)

A biological affinities study based on frequencies of cranial nonmetric traits in skeletal samples from three cemeteries at Predynastic Naqada, Egypt, confirms the results of a recent nonmetric dental morphological analysis. Both cranial and dental traits analyses indicate that the individuals buried in a cemetery characterized archaeologically as high status are significantly different from individuals buried in two other, apparently non-elite cemeteries and that the non-elite samples are not significantly different from each other. A comparison with neighboring Nile Valley skeletal samples suggests that the high status cemetery represents an endogamous ruling or elite segment of the local population at Naqada, which is more closely related to populations in northern Nubia than to neighboring populations in southern Egypt.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

timeline of the Nile Valley- Africa
 -

egypt in africa
 -

Limb proportion studies place Egytians, whether modern or ancient, closer to Africans or other dark-skinned tropical peoples, than whites. The closest link is with black or dark-skinned peoples regardless of which study is used.

-

The skewed and biased 'true negro' model

-

Greek relation to African blacks
 -

Greek and black DNA linkage
 -

Data from C. Loring Brace 1993 debunked
 -

Brace 2005
 -

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Lefkowitz later went back on those statements, lets try to keep up to date.
If you are going down this neolithic road then you need to provide scholarly journals from Greek historians linking specific things that Greeks obtained from black africans. You'll not be able to do that because they do not exist.

In other words the Brace work is uneless in terms of a conversation about historical Greece after 3000 BC. Going back to Adam and Eve here is not workable.

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Hey Pat,look what the 70's Afro programm produced!!!...Zarahan,Ausar Sundjata,TRex,DJehuti,King,WhatBox,Evergreen,and Yours truly...Brada Anansi and I am sure it cross the Atlantic to infect the Africans and the Brits who post here,that's forty years and still going strong even the current POTUS couldn't escaped it.(but your right current funding is not enough)I think I will ask the POTUS to increase funding as part of the stimilus package on education. [Big Grin]
...not sure if ALtakruri and Wally are children of the 70'S 80's 90'S but they would be affected non the least.

beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk8:
A musical career might be good for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suHrCRWUYJ0

I smell Jealousy.
 -

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com