EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Islam in the Sahel: Idris Alooma and Kanem-Bornu

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Islam in the Sahel: Idris Alooma and Kanem-Bornu
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See and join discussion here, if interested.

http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/ftopic2356.php

http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/ftopic2355.php

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump...

--------------------
mr.writer.asa@gmail.com

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to take this here but Iam still having registration problems.

From Sundiata:I'm also interested in Alooma's military tactics and strategies from the type of arms he secured, his Turkish mercenaries,

I ask a question of Altakuri sometime ago about Turks being military advisers and mercenaries,instead of military slaves and he said that they were bought and paid for,but the above gives the impression that they were just like todays S.O .F, just hanging out with the locals getting payed for teaching them how to shoot.

And about the brother-hood what was it about knowladge,political or commerce,was it like a secret sociaty.kinda like the Masons?

Please cut and paste here http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/ftopic2356.php

http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/ftopic2355.php

From Altaruri :

With the introduction of Islam in Kanem, it became the principal focus of Muslim influence in the central Sudan and relations were established with the Arab world in the Middle East and the Maghrib. Umme's son Dunama I (1092-1150) also went on a pilgrimage and was crowned in Fgypt,

Why would he have himself^^ crowned in Egypt? wouldn't that cause problems back home with potentical rivals?

Again sorry I really wan't in on the conversation on TNV but this is the best I can do for now untill things get sorted.

[Frown]

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
Sorry to take this here but Iam still having registration problems.

Ditto only i just solved mine. Look out NileValley forums

Oh, and make sure to type in the confirmation code BACKWARDS in order if it says to do so..

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
[QB] Sorry to take this here but Iam still having registration problems.

From Sundiata:I'm also interested in Alooma's military tactics and strategies from the type of arms he secured, his Turkish mercenaries,

I ask a question of Altakuri sometime ago about Turks being military advisers and mercenaries,instead of military slaves and he said that they were bought and paid for,but the above gives the impression that they were just like todays S.O .F, just hanging out with the locals getting payed for teaching them how to shoot.

I recall, but I remember it being a general question about the Sudan and not specifically about how Idris Alooma (who was more so a diplomat) organized his militia. Turkish slaves were indeed common through out North Africa and the Sahel. I'm not as familiar with Mai Alooma's disposition, hence the inquiry.

BTW, I had problems registering there as well (or actually getting authorization to post) but I just PMed Aswani Aswad (or Ausar on here) and I was able to do it the next time I tried. Or you may be better off taking WhatBox' advice.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great topic. Thenilevalley is where the info is at though.

Alhaji is a big title to have in Nigeria.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com