EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT The Founding of Timbuktu

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT The Founding of Timbuktu
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportbilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing some more work on Mali and wanted to get you guys thoughts regarding the origins of Timbuktu.

I have read that it was founded by a Tuareg woman, and elsewhere that it was a berber woman. Even read an arab woman.
I for one feel it was the Mandinkas myself.

Would anyone care to weigh in with their thoughts?

Posts: 248 | From: Way Down South | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
?? How the Hell did an Arab found Timbucktu?? Name a City founded by Arabs out of Arabia besides Baghdad..and we are supposed to believe some renegae, camel riding Arab who had no concept of civilization founding African cities..LMAO Nothing but Muslim Apologia.. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Local tradition dates the founding of Timbuktu to around the year 1100 AD, at a seasonal nomad camp based around a well, maintained by an old woman and her slaves. The woman's name was Buktu and 'tin' means well, hence 'the well of Buktu'. Whatever the myth of the town's origin, by the twelfth century Timbuktu was already an active trading post on the routes crossing the Sahara into West Africa. In the fourteenth-century the town was absorbed by the Mali Empire and enjoyed a period of prosperity, of which the Djingareyber Mosque is the symbol. The mosque was built in 1325 by the Andalucian architect and poet Abu Ishaq Es-Saheli on the orders of the legendary emperor, Kanka Mousa, who had just returned from Mecca.

Timbuktu was founded by the Tuareg Imashagan in the 11th century. During the rainy season, the Tuaregs roam the desert up to Arawan in search of grazing lands for their animals.

http://www.timbuktufoundation.org/history.html

Africans(The Taureg) founded Timbucktu\the Taureg are Berbers indiginous Africans, not Arabs.

-

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportbilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had read the source above as well. It sounds like pure hokam to me too, since an old woman isn't possibly going to be able to hold on to any "slaves."
However a main point from certain quarters seems to be that the non-African (read: mediterranean, arab) element of northern Africa has somehow always been as high as it is today or at the very least has always been there.

I'm not certain non-Africans came into northern Africa in significant numbers until after the Romans defeated Carthage, and even then it seems they were largely held to the coasts until after Islam began to filter southwestwards across the sahara in the late 8th century.

Posts: 248 | From: Way Down South | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
9th Element
Member # 17629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9th Element   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget before Timbuktu there were other civilizations in that region as well.

Archeology confirms this.

Posts: 447 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keep in mind it was just a camp site. it was the mande from djenne who built the city,and later mansa musa who further built it.white racist etc love to say the whole thing was built by a white berber woman. first of all,most likely she was not white,second it was camp site,they did not built the city, they were nomads.they only had tents at the site,no city was built there.the mande came in later and took over the site,besides,near timbuktu there was a city that was much older that goes back to 500 b.c.

they even found another site further away down the niger .this city was founded around 900 b.c.
so civilization in mali goes back to 900
b.c.

anyway in timbuku the Tuaregs they did not even stay at the site for long. they will leave it for a good 6 months and come back but not near it again,but close to it.

here is the real history the white racist to not tell you when you go on site like stromfront and vanguard.

The real beginning of timbuktu-

History
Origins
quote-
Timbuktu was established by the nomadic Tuareg as early as the 10th century. Although Tuaregs founded Timbuktu, it was only as a seasonal settlement. Roaming the desert during the wet months, in summer they stayed near the flood plains of the Inner Niger Delta. Since the terrain directly at the water wasn’t suitable due to mosquitoes, a well was dug a few miles from the river.

Permanent Settlements
In the eleventh century merchants from Djenne set up the various markets and built permanent dwellings in the town, establishing the site as a meeting place for people traveling by camel. They also introduced Islam and reading, through the Qur'an. Before Islam, the population worshiped Ouagadou-Bida, a mythical water-serpent of the Niger River. With the rise of the Ghana Empire, several Trans Saharan trade routes had been established. Salt from Mediterranean Africa was traded with West-African gold and ivory, and large numbers of slaves. Halfway through the eleventh century, however, new goldmines near Bure made for an eastward shift of the trade routes. This development made Timbuktu a prosperous city where goods from camels were loaded on boats on the Niger.

Rise of the Mali Empire
During the twelfth century, the remnants of the Ghana Empire were invaded by the Sosso Empire king Soumaoro Kanté. Muslim scholars from Walata (beginning to replace Aoudaghost as trade route terminus) fled to Timbuktu and solidified the position of Islam. Timbuktu had become a center of Islamic learning, with its Sankore University and 180 Quranic schools. In 1324 Timbuktu was peacefully annexed by king Musa I, returning from his pilgrimage to Mecca. The city now part of the Mali Empire, king Musa I ordered the construction of a royal palace and, together with his following of hundreds of Muslim scholars, built the learning center of Djingarey Ber in 1327.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com