EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: How to improve my Englsih?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: How to improve my Englsih?
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm here since a long period. So, you surely have an idea on my English. It is not in an advanced level. Therefore I would like to improve it.
I've enough material to learn it. But I prefer that I begin with the weakest sides of my language. Is it the grammar or orthograph or word use....?

Please give your comment, I do appreciate it.

Thanks,

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apocalypse
Member # 8587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apocalypse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend a book called The Elements of Style written by Strunk and White. It's a small book but very useful.
Posts: 1038 | From: Franklin Park, NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One book that really helped me was one named,

"Writers Inc, a Student handbook for learning and writing"

It might be complicated though if you struggle with English, but it is really good at helping you write better.

One thing you might do is go to a local University if you can and talk with Professors who are fluent in Arabic and English and ask what books or advice they would give.

That fact that you can communicate in Arabic and English is a good thing and something to be proud of.

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for awlaadberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mazigh:
I'm here since a long period. So, you surely have an idea on my English. It is not in an advanced level. Therefore I would like to improve it.
I've enough material to learn it. But I prefer that I begin with the weakest sides of my language. Is it the grammar or orthograph or word use....?

Thanks,

Why don't you take classes at a language center?
Posts: 895 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^
Im gonna have to take a 4 semester course in a foreign language, Im soo NOT looking forward to that... [Frown]

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arijuga,ouyuga atwhuga anguageluga are ouyuga akingtuga?
Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mazigh, I do applaud your attempts here for the last
six or seven years and your English is getting better
and better.

How about enrolling in an intensive English course
offered by a university? You won't get the ins and
outs of the language doing a self-study.

Do you speak any English or just write in it? If you
speak it any at all try watching Enlish language movies.
I know a guy learned fluent Arabic and Hebrew from
viewing movies in those languages after he had learned
the basics in a classroom setting. Had sa'id.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mazigh:

Thanks,

1) Find a copy of Rosetta Stone (it's a revolutionary software program for language learning) and get the English language pack. 2) Learn the phonetic inventory of English through IPA (international phonetic alphabet) and practice by hearing native English speakers pronounce the individual sounds (phonemes). A good website for this is below.

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=88

Here is an IPA table with all of the sounds heard in most languages, of course you need to master English pronunciation so only focus on the English phonemes (sounds).

http://www.yorku.ca/earmstro/ipa/consonants.html

Here from the above site, are the sounds found in English. Just correspond it with the above link.

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_native.php?function=detail&languageid=18

Note: Notice that in the first link, the people speaking are reading a message and to the left is a transcription in IPA. If you learn IPA (it IS easy to memorize), learning another language should be actually relatively easy. This is what beginning linguists have to learn.

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse:
I'd recommend a book called The Elements of Style written by Strunk and White. It's a small book but very useful.

I had that book for my English class and it's mostly for writing (as opposed to speaking).
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments.
I've already the learning material at home. but I would like to have tips where I have to focus on.
Intensive course are good, but I cannot at the moment. and it is expensive. therefore, I would like to learn more so that I wouldn't have to pay for all the levels.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com