EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Has Anyone Seen This Picture Before? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Has Anyone Seen This Picture Before?
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for awlaadberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know anything about this picture:

-

Egyptian Memorial Stone of a Syrian Soldier Drinking Beer

An Eighteenth Dynasty painting of a Syrian mercenary shown drinking beer in the company of his Egyptian wife and child.

Posts: 895 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the Original but copied it as a screenshot I can't find the original Website..It's supposed to be a Syrian and Egyptian Woman.

-

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Great One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by awlaadberry:

-

An Eighteenth Dynasty painting of a Syrian mercenary shown drinking beer in the company of his Egyptian wife and child.

Were Syrians allowed to marry Egyptian Women?

Also, The woman looks less African than the Syrian!

Posts: 422 | From: Leave No Stone Unturned! | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for awlaadberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mau:
quote:

-

The Syrian looks like what he is - an Arab.
Posts: 895 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work awlaadberry and Jari.

I have not seen this before.

awlaadberry don't jump to conclusions, it will take many comparisons to determine where the man is from.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could find the Website I copied it from...I think the website said It was a "Levantine" rather than a "Syrian" but I could be wrong..
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys - the dagger in his waistband suggests to me that he is a Canaanite.

-

-

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Mike I think you are Correct, like I said the site I copied it from said he was from the Levant(Canaan), Im about 85% sure of that. Good eye Mike more prooof that he is a Levantine/Canaanite.
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:

awlaadberry don't jump to conclusions, it will take many comparisons to determine where the man is from.

What do you mean?
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Just call me Jari:
I wish I could find the Website I copied it from...I think the website said It was a "Levantine" rather than a "Syrian" but I could be wrong..

How does being Levantine make him not Syrian?
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
I found the Original but copied it as a screenshot I can't find the original Website..It's supposed to be a Syrian and Egyptian Woman.

-

Is there a picture here? If so, I didn't receive it.
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

-

Is there a picture here? If so, I didn't receive it.
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1932/18332410117804663215410.jpg
^^^^^
Here is a link..

Syria

http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/2008/08/17/SYRIA,%20lebanon%20MAP.gif

Levant

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QN4gtyxwglQ/THMxXVJXFyI/AAAAAAAAA8I/tP6u9q17xGs/s1600/The_Levant_3.png

http://wikitravel.org/upload/en/thumb/c/cc/Levant.jpg/240px-Levant.jpg

I thought Syria was more specific and applied to the Assyrian Empire.

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
awlaadberry - Syria was originally a small area in southern Canaan. Probably where the Philistines finally settled.

The modern region of Syria was a Roman creation. In those days it did not exist.

awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
[QB] Guys - the dagger in his waistband suggests to me that he is a Canaanite.

-

Which dagger and which picture? I think that you all are looking at something that I didn't receive.
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
awlaadberry - Syria was originally a small area in southern Canaan. Probably where the Philistines finally settled.

The modern region of Syria was a Roman creation. In those days it did not exist.

Did Syria not apply to Assyria?? Did'nt know Modern Syria was a Roman Invention..Note Taken.
Assyria

http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/images_n2/assyria.gif

Alwaadberry I poste a Link to the Image..

awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:

Ancient Syria was a much larger area than modern Syria and Syria is/was the Levant or a part of the Levant.
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:

Alwaadberry I poste a Link to the Image..

The link doesn't work either. It says "Domain unregistered. To view register at..."
AswaniAswad
Member # 16742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AswaniAswad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awlaad how would u say a Syrian is an Arab. Not all Syrians are arabs many syrians are really arameans including much of Iraq.

Many Syrians,Iraqi,and Lebanese are not arab,its like claiming the Akkadians to be Arabs.

Many Jacobites dont have an arab lineage.

Posts: 410 | From: Al-Ard | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by AswaniAswad:
Awlaad how would u say a Syrian is an Arab. Not all Syrians are arabs many syrians are really arameans including much of Iraq.

Many Syrians,Iraqi,and Lebanese are not arab,its like claiming the Akkadians to be Arabs.

Because I am talking about the ancient Syrians like the one in the picture I posted. The ancient Syrians were the Amorites and they are Arabs from the Arabian Peninsula.
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did ancient Syrians consider themselves Arabs?

I know ancient Persians didn't, and there are even modern Iran-nationalists who oppose Arab cultural domination / assimilation / imperialism.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
Did ancient Syrians consider themselves Arabs?

I know ancient Persians didn't, and there are even modern Iran-nationalists who oppose Arab cultural domination / assimilation / imperialism.

The Persians aren't Arabs. Unless you mean the Elamites.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Elamites are not Persians either but the original inhabitants of Iran before the Indo-European speaking Medes and Persians took over the land
quote:
Originally posted by Ma'Ass:

To your first question, yes-- as long as the Egyptian women were not royals.

As to your second ridiculous comment, LOL Sure the woman looks less African despite her chocolate dark skin braided hair and white linen dress. Quit dreaming Afrangi. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-

-

Interesting. That may explain his black appearance. We know the Bible among other sources suggest the Canaanites close relations to Egyptians and other Africans.
Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:

-

-

Interesting. That may explain his black appearance. We know the Bible among other sources suggest the Canaanites close relations to Egyptians and other Africans.
Do you still believe that anyone dark must come from what you call "Africa"?
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Great One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptians are very closely related to people from the Levant, especially The Druse, Palestinians, and even Jews.

In the old days, there was no color barrier and people cared more about culture than color.

Africa is a very meaningless word and African has no relevant meaning except for some with political agendas.

Africa is part of Asia/Europe. One Large Landmass, where people moved freely, stopped only by enemies and sometimes natural barriers.

Travel from Cairo to Israel by airplane is only about an hour long.

Cairo to Ghana takes about 8 hours.

--------------------
Chairman Mau

Posts: 422 | From: Leave No Stone Unturned! | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you must be one of those "some" with a political agenda, because the "Levant" is even more "meaningless" than "Africa".

As for the ramble about "no color barrier", that should therefore extend to other Africans. The Egyptians were very resolute about distinguishing themselves from "Asiatics" (Ammu). So, your characterization about these two entities being "very closely" related is another political agenda.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Indeed, but the kooky khawaga fails to realize his own double-speak.

In the mean time he misconstrues my point that the Bible states that Canaan is one of the four sons of Ham with the other sons being Kush (Sudan), Mizraim (Egypt), and Phut (Libya). Egypt, the entire Nile Valley, and perhaps Africa as a whole was referred to by the ancient Hebrews as 'The Land of Ham'. Therefore it is clear to anyone that the best interpretation is that Canaan is an extension of Africa.

Of course ancient Canaanites are not the same as Modern day Druse, Palestinians, and Jews who may have ancestry from Canaanites but also have ancestry from other peoples.

The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member

The Egyptians were very resolute about distinguishing themselves from "Asiatics" (Ammu).

You missed the other half, which is they did the same with Black Africans as well.

No need to go into a picture spam, but there are hundreds of such images everywhere you care to look.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ And how can the Egyptians distinguish themselves from black Africans when they ARE black Africans, moron??

What term did they even use for "black Africans".

By the way, the Egyptian word for black is KM which they used for themselves!

Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mau:

You missed the other half, which is they did the same with Black Africans as well.

Not according to these...

http://www.bu.edu/anep/570.gif

http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/10c80ea0.jpg

http://www.manuampim.com/Images/4Rmt.jpg

And there's more. [Wink]

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mau
Egyptians are very closely related to people from the Levant, especially The Druse, Palestinians, and even Jews. In the old days, there was no color barrier and people cared more about culture than color.

Yes well kinda since they were running the Levant since the time of PepyI and II

is majesty sent me to lead this army 5 times to subdue the land of the Sand Dwellers, every time they rebelled, with these troops. I acted so that his majesty praised me for it. Told that there were rebels amongst these foreigners at the 'Nose-of-the-Gazelle's-head' I crossed in ships, together with these troops. I put to land at the back of the height of the mountain range to the north of the land of the Sand-Dwellers, while (the other) half of this army were travelling by land. I turned back, I obstructed all of them and slew every rebel amongst them.
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/pepi1.htm

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
Compare this man (the man in the first picture) to the men in the second picture. There is no difference in appearance.

-

-

awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
^ And how can the Egyptians distinguish themselves from black Africans when they ARE black Africans, moron??

Didn't they call these "foreigners":

-

-

It wasn't about "African" and "non-African" because there was no "Africa".

Pulp
Member # 15591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pulp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I am not mistaken ancient Egyptians always portrayed "Asiatics" in a rather similar foreign fashion.
http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/collection_database/all/objectview.aspx?OID=100001048

-

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pulp:
If I am not mistaken ancient Egyptians always portrayed "Asiatics" in a rather similar foreign fashion.
http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/collection_database/all/objectview.aspx?OID=100001048

-

And what fashion is that?

-

-

-

-

-

Pulp
Member # 15591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pulp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say the most obvious is the full beard, hair that doesn't reach the shoulders plus headband.And for whatever reason, varying skin color.

The bust of Sargon of Akkad also has a headband in it.
 -

One of the oldest portrays of Ammu in comparison to ancient Egyptians below. Benni Hassan
 -

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:

One of the oldest portrays of Ammu in comparison to ancient Egyptians below. Benni Hassan
 -

You will also find pictures of ancient Egyptians the same color as the Ammu in the picture you posted.
awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
Compare the color and appearance of the ancient Egyptian here to the color and appearance of the "foreigners":

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______SYRIAN______________________________KUSHITE_____________________________LIBYAN
 -
_____________HORUS__________________EGYPTIAN_______________________________________SYRIAN

illustration after tomb of Seti I

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pulp
Member # 15591

Rate Member
As I mentioned they played with skin color but with maintaining a general foreign appearance for the observer to recognize.
Maybe with increased pressure of foreigners they wanted to draw a sharper line via white and black to themselves.
 -
Tiles found in the tomb of Rameses III depicting a
Libyan, Nubian, Syrian, Bedouin, Hittite
But the murals from Benni Hassan are one of the first showing Ammorites.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As I mentioned they played with skin color but with maintaining a general foreign appearance for the observer to recognize.
Maybe with increased pressure of foreigners they wanted to draw a sharper line via white and black to themselves.
 -
Tiles found in the tomb of Rameses III depicting a
Libyan, Nubian, Syrian, Bedouin, Hittite
But the murals from Benni Hassan are one of the first showing Ammorites.

There is not a "general foreign appearance" here but five different appearances
Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Whoops - Sorry Lioness.
Pulp - The picture that you posted is bogus
An "AUTHENTIC" Egyptian tile was "GLAZED".

The nonsense that you posted is NOT Glazed.

THESE are authentic Egyptian tile.

-

-

ONCE THE GLAZE HAS WORN OFF, OR HAS BEEN REMOVED, THERE IS NO WAY TO SAY WHAT THE ORIGINAL LOOKED LIKE - COLOR WISE.

-

-

The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for The Great One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Didn't they call these "foreigners":

-

-

It wasn't about "African" and "non-African" because there was no "Africa".

Excellent Points: There Was No Africa During Ancient Times. It is All About Regional Neighbors And Relationships.

As, I have Already Shown These "House Negros", Africa Is A Racist Western Concoction.

Mediterranean Region - Red Sea Region - makes much more sense than Africa.

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
______SYRIAN______________________________KUSHITE_____________________________LIBYAN
 -
_____________HORUS__________________EGYPTIAN_______________________________________SYRIAN

Lioness - This IS YOUR bogus post.

You know very well that this is a bogus MODERN DRAWING from the Theban mapping project.

In authentic Egyptian art, they are all of similar color.

-

The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
 -

With Ugly Looking Neighbors Like These

The Egyptians Must've Been Paranoid & Wanted To Keep Them Out of Egypt!!

--------------------
Chairman Mau

The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
quote:
 -

The Ancient Egyptians Seem "Perfect"!!

Combining All The Best Features In The Region!

awlaadberry
Member # 17426

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
 -

You know very well that this is a bogus MODERN DRAWING from the Theban mapping project.

-

Great picture Mike!
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
the thing is Lioness KNOWS this, as Altakruri already debunked her on the Herd of Ra/Mural or Races thread.

quote:
 -

-

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AswaniAswad:

Because I am talking about the ancient Syrians like the one in the picture I posted. The ancient Syrians were the Amorites and they are Arabs from the Arabian Peninsula.
Interesting that you say that Tariq because the guy does look somewhat like a modern Murad from the Yemen. But Amorites and Phoenicians were definitely not the only people occupying Syria/Palestine. There were a lot of round-headed fair-skinned folk there whom the Greeks called "white Syrians" who had nothing to do with Arabs.
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Whoops - Sorry Lioness.
Pulp - The picture that you posted is bogus
An "AUTHENTIC" Egyptian tile was "GLAZED".

The nonsense that you posted is NOT Glazed.

THESE are authentic Egyptian tile.

-

-

ONCE THE GLAZE HAS WORN OFF, OR HAS BEEN REMOVED, THERE IS NO WAY TO SAY WHAT THE ORIGINAL LOOKED LIKE - COLOR WISE.

-

-

A thousand thanks Mike even though I can't get with that spouting of "whites are albinos" stuff I do have to admit many of your photo postings are indispensable to this forum and to furthering our knowledge of ancient peoples of the past. I hope you are keeping detailed documentation of all of your sources because i lost knwoledge of the whereabouts of a precious Old Kingdom painting of the Libyan Tehenu of the Fayum that shows beyond a doubt the original color and Fulani appearance of the ancestors of Libyans.

All I know is that it was in a book by Nina Davies that can not be withdrawn from libraries in Canada or the United States. If you find it on-line please post it.

The Syro-Canaanites, Libyans and some other groups were definitely often portrayed near the same color as teh Egyptians in Egyptian art. Lyin_ snake and others on this forum as well as European historians of the past do a grave disservice to these ancient peoples by posting all of the faded or lightened up and redrawn works that looked nothing like the originals.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com