EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » What book/s are you currently reading?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What book/s are you currently reading?
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great way to expand the knowledge base here imo would be to share, to some extent, the wide array of information that we acquire outside of the discussions here. What better way than to share comments on books that people are currently reading?

I'm reading Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane.

-

^Not completely finished but it has to be among the best autobiographies I've read since "Malcolm X". It is set in 1960s apartheid South Africa, following the coming of age of a young Shangaan/Venda boy by the name of Johannes. Every chapter is gripping and most of the account occurs during a short period of time during his childhood, hence he doesn't gloss over anything at all and tackles head on the emotional, physical, intellectual, and spiritual ramifications associated with his coming up under the Apartheid regime in Alexandra. Some of the details are extremely graphic and I caught myself more than a few times having to stop reading and putting the book down in disbelief. All in all, the book makes you feel as if you were right there, living the story as vividly as Johannes did. I can't believe Apartheid was only dismantled 17 years ago!

Anyways, I highly recommend this book for those who haven't checked it out!

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khufu
Member # 17461

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khufu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently reading: "Black Genesis The Prehistoric origins of ancient Egypt" and "An Introduction to Stellar Astrophysics". I remember reading Kaffir Boy back in Highschool in Literature class during my senior year. GREAT BOOK!
Posts: 98 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I know, I love this book! I still need to check out Buvaul's book but I'll probably be getting Ehret's new book before I cop that one. You must be really interested in Astronomy (admittedly my first love). [Smile]
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^I take it nobody else here reads books?
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently on my shelf for HIEROGLYPHICS are the
below which go beyond alphabet and grammar and,
I guess, more for referencing than reading. Their
focus is just as much or even more on the culture
than the language.

Richard H. Wilkinson

Reading Egyptian Art:
a Hieroglyphic Guide to Ancient Egyptian Painting and Sculpture

London: Thames & Hudson Ltd, 1992 (1994, 1998)

Barry Kemp
Think like an Egyptian: 101 Hieroglyphs

New York: Penguin Group, 2005

Hilary Wilson
Understanding Hieroglyphics: a complete introductory guide

Chicago: Passport Books, 1993 (1996)

Bridget McDermott
Decoding Egyptian Hieroglyphs:
how to read the secret language of the pharaohs

San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2001

When it comes to pure pleasure reading I go in for
graphic novels (comic books in paperback binding).

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In spurts:

Deep Roots: Rice Farmers in West Africa and the African Diaspora
Edda L. Fields Black, 2008
(Got a new appreciation for rice and why we eat it so much around here)

What is Mathematics?
Richard Courant and Herbert Robbins, 1941 (Revised 1996)

Something Torn and New: An African Renaissance
Ngugi wa Thiong'o, 2009

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness is a guy IRL
cassiterides banned yet again
Member # 18409

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness is a guy IRL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
currently reading -
 -

click here to order:

http://www.white-history.com/

Posts: 2408 | From: My mother's basement | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Now reading Desmond Tutu's "No future without forgiveness"..

I still don't have any grasp of hieroglyphs (it may or may not be practical for what I'm trying to do, but it is ALWAYS useful). I just ordered Ehret's "History and the Testimony of Language" finally since linguistic analysis is proving to be more and more valuable in historical reconstruction.

quote:
Originally posted by The Gaul:

Deep Roots: Rice Farmers in West Africa and the African Diaspora
Edda L. Fields Black, 2008
(Got a new appreciation for rice and why we eat it so much around here)

Joseph Holloway Talked a bit about this in Edward Phillip's African history volume, but more broadly on the culinary and agricultural Africanisms present within the West African diaspora. This book looks to be an interesting read.
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just started this 900 pager.

The Nature of Nature: Examining the Role of Naturalism in Science.

--Bruce L Gordon and William Dembski, editors, 2011

The thrust of the book is a pro and con on how information in the cell came to be, hence the name of the title.

I don't expect to finish this book anytime soon as I'm backlogged on others already.

I should have purchased Kaffir Boy when I had it in my hands in the late 80s.

Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not read it yet, but I think of purchasing this one.

The Dying God: The Hidden History of Western Civilization

-

http://www.thedyinggod.com

Posts: 22245 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com