EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » CHILDREN'S ANIMATED TITLES

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CHILDREN'S ANIMATED TITLES
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE SONGHAI PRINCESS NEW DAWN INC.

-

The Songhai princess [videorecording] / written by Edward W. Robinson, Jr.
Publisher: Philadelphia, Pa. : New Dawn, Inc., c1990.
Series: Black filmmakers hall of fame

Subject: Tales Africa.

Animated films.

Africa, West Tales.

Credits: Harriette C. Robinson, Kenneth B. Harmon, assistant playwrights ; Tee Collins, producer ...

Summary: Princess Nzinga, the daughter of a 15th century Songhai emperor is kidnapped from the palace by the Wicked Witch of the Mountains, and is rescued after many years and adventures by medical student Imhotep.

Two films for preschoolers. In The Songhai Princess (1990), an animated adventure set in the 15th century, the daughter of an emperor is kidnapped by a witch and rescued by a young medical student. Afro Classic Folk Tales, Vol. 2 uses puppets and animation to tell the stories “Lion Meets Man,” “The Woodpecker,” and “High John the Conqueror.” 55 min.

[Princess & the Frog or Songhai Princess which one was first Black animated Princess?] I just received an email from a Black Mom's group that I belong to about a free DVD of the Disney animated feature of the Princess and the Frog and I thought that was wonderful. Then I remembered that I recently heard about an animated tale written in 1990, that was written by Dr. Robinson featuring a princess of African descent that I believe every little girl of color (and their families) would be totally thrilled to see a Black Princess portrayed from a cultural side rather than the Disney targeting to get a piece of the $900 Billion that African Americans spend each year in this country. Especially at the box office.

So I am writing this to let others know that I believe the Songhai Princess will not only entertain, but empower our little darlings to ask questions about their heritage as well as to be entertained. So how about supporting a product that was made for our children and our families. You've got the Black princess, king, queen villain, a happy ending AND watch an animated, classic masterpiece written by an African American Scholar... not to make the big box office hit list....not to be on the best DVD seller list...but to present a timeless tale of African royalty that would inspire us and our children. To open their psyche to some of the aspects of our history that have been locked away from us and our children for way too many generations.

Ok it is not of the same animated quality that Disney has backing it's full feature animations, but the story itself is so engaging you won't mind that one bit. Why not start a new tradition for your children, and your children's children and pass this classic masterpiece along your family tree. I am going to purchase this to watch with my granddaughters when they come over to spend the weekend. What about you? Will you at least check it out? It is up to us to go beyond what the schools, television, movies, etc. show our children. Let's get back to teaching our children about who their true ancestors were, the real kings and queens, the first mathemetician, astrologers, doctors, architects, etc.

Alright, I've had my say, just couldn't rest until I got that off my mind.

Much Love
Darlene Robinson

http://blackwomenconnect.com/cgi-bin...=168589&cid=10

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CHILDREN'S ANIMATED TITLES

CHILDREN need to see themselves reflected in visuals.Ethnically authentic characters reinforce that natural thirst to see images that look familiar, and for all children to see images of those that they will share the world with, in harmony.

CHILDREN'S STORIES FROM AFRICA - Features original songs, African fables that teach and entertain, told by Nandi Nyembe and students of the Mahiatsi Pre-school. About 5 stories per volume.4 volumes available individually - $12.98 or the set - $49.95

AFRICAN STORY MAGIC -
A young child takes a magical journey to discover the wisdom and wonder of ancient African folklore, narrated by Brock Peters. 27min.

ANANSI -
With Reggae music, Denzel Washington narrates two funny folktales about Anansi the spider outsmarting everyone. 30min.

**On Moratorium**CORDUROY and OTHER BEAR STORIES -
Three animated adventures of the lovable bear delicately illustrate that happiness is close to home.*No Longer Available*

DREADLOCKS AND THE THREE BEARS -
This classic fairy tale has been recreated with a new perspective, beautifully illustrated with original storybook art inspired by the work of Romere Bearden and Varnette Honeywood. 13min.

FOLLOW THE DRINKING GOURD -
With music by Taj Mahal and great animation, Danny Glover narrated this compelling traditional folktale about a family's escape from enslavement through the Underground Railroad. 25min.

HAPPILY EVER AFTER FAIRY TALES -
Set includes "The Golden Goose", "Pinocchio", "The Pied Piper", "Rumpelstiltskin", traditional fairy tales with African animated characters and voices by Will Smith, Samuel Jackson, Wesley Snipes and others. Each video about 30min.

HOW THE LEOPARD GOT HIS SPOTS -
This beautifully animated folktale is set to music by Ladysmith black Mambazo. 30min

JAZZTIME TALE -
Narrated by Rudy Dee to the music of Fats Waller - The daughter of Fats Waller and a neighborhood girl form a friendship around the celebrated music, set in 1919. 29min.

**On Moratorium**JIRIMPIMBIRA: AN AFRICAN FOLK TALE - $9.99
A youngster saves his village from a drought, with the voices of Dianne Carroll and Meshach Taylor. 25min.*No Longer Available*

MUFARO'S BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS - (Formerly Stories From the Black Tradition)
Five animated African folktales are narrated by Alfre Woodard, Patricia McKissack and James Earl Jones, representing the old and new world "Why Mosquitoes Buzz in Peoples' Ears", "Goggles", and more. 45min.

OUR FRIEND MARTIN -
With an all star cast and Motown soundtrack, historical footage and animation is blended turning a class project into time travel where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s life and message is explored. 60min

RED SHOES -
Based on the Hans Christian Andersen tale, about the friendship of two girls brought together by some shoes. 30min

THE SONGHAI PRINCESS -
Set in Timbuctu, an African-Amer. historian crafted this animated fairy tale where a baby princess is kidnapped and eventually rescued by Imhotep.

TALES FROM AFRICA (CENTRAL) -
Includes 4 authentic tales: "Old Man and Deer", "Origin of the Animals", The Law of Mapaki", and "Musar and His Parents". 30min

http://www.black-video.com/bvchild.htm

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump.
Posts: 2566 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com