EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Thandie Newton showcases her stunning natural curls... for the sake of her daughters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thandie Newton showcases her stunning natural curls... for the sake of her daughters
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most A-list mothers are busy churning out carbon copies of mini-mes to become the next generation of the Hollywood elite (ahem, Katie Holmes).

But Thandie Newton is determined to set her daughters an example.

The Run Fatboy Run actress revealed she decided to stop straightening her hair in a bid to discourage Ripley and Nico from feeling insecure about their natural curls.

-

As her voluminous hair spilled over her shoulders, Thandie looked effortlessly younger than her years posing with Gillian Anderson in a 'Girl' T-shirt.

Earlier this month, Thandie told longtime friend and make-up artist Kay Montano: 'I didn’t want my daughters to judge their beautiful curls.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2107671/Thandie-Newton-showcases-striking-natural-curls-refuses-straighten-hair-set-daughters-good-example.html#ixzz1nivX66VP
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confirming Truth
Member # 17678

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confirming Truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Unfortunately, unlike her admixed heritage, majority of Black women do not enjoy the luxury of having diluted racial blood to grow long locks. But I do commend her for instilling pride in her mongrel daughters, i guess.
Posts: 1340 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not the product of admixed heritage as dark girls can still sport the look. You'd know this if you were in fact black. Many people in Africa could get it too, they just don't have hair that looks the same due to a lack of access to water and supplies that can keep the curl defined. Even white women with curls have the issue of keeping the curls defined and without frizz so don't be quick to try moaning about that either. Froish hair is how natural hair looks combing the curls out/blow drying them or has been slept on. you can also see that on the ends when damage has been done to the hair (heat damage). People like you have nothing to say when African Americans sport fros like Africans because its easier under Euro standards to say it is "ugly." but when we show our hair can naturally sport defined curls you want to behave as though it's not the same hair that sported the fros you can find in Africa. GTFO with that nonsense. It's the same hair that sported those wooly Afros. The same hair you can find in Africa.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
and Lioness says that Confirming Truth is a black Haitian. I find that very hard to believe.

Although Confirming Truth could be mentally ill.

Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thule
Member # 18853

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another self-hate thread from Oshun...

Thandie Newton is biracial in her own words:

''I used to feel - as neither white nor black, but as a bridge between both.''

She is mixed race, and doesn't even identify with her black heritage.

Pure-blooded Negroids have wooly hair which cannot even naturally grow over their eye-lid, they don't have ''natural curls''.

click for photo of negroid hair:

http://charcoalink.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/afro-hair-texture-shot-1.jpg

Posts: 1575 | From: - | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Thandie may be mixed with European, but that hair can be done among people of African without European admixture. The hair is one of the most hardest things to leave in a person of African descent. The skin and proportions may change easier, but not the hair which is why blacks are so sensitive about it. It is a very strong characteristic of Africa. Saying she's a "bi-racial" doesn't mean anything. Heck look at her kids:

-

Only white outsiders who have limited experience with black culture would buy into your retarded BS. Blacks, including that girl in your link can get the hair Thandie Newton is sporting. It takes proper moisture to the hair however, and many people in Africa lack access to it. You weren't saying anything when blacks were again sporting Afros with that girl in your links texture. Let us show we can do something else that you must admit is cute, and you're butthurt and saying it's from our European heritage. Nah don't even try get past using that. Stop trying to dodge my point. We are the same people of all shades who sported the Afro. We as a people are no different and back then we showed our hair is African. We can sport more defined curls because as African Americans we have better access to water than many of those living in Africa. You will never see in many areas of Africa, water being used on hair because access is so much more limited, hence the hair looks much different. None of us who are truly black will listen to you, you're just talking to yourself pretty much. We know our people and we have enough experience with the black community to know we don't need European blood to have defined curls.

Thule
Member # 18853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:
The hair is one of the most hardest things to leave in a person of African descent. The skin and proportions may change easier, but not the hair which is why blacks are so sensitive about it.

Blacks are sensitive about hair because they self-hate their own natural wooly hair texture, jeeze look how many threads on ES there are where the black posters here go mad on this topic. Its only blacks who are insecure and sensitive about it. African-Americans even call straight hair, ''good hair'', and their own wooly hair as ''bad hair''. Chris Rock did a whole documentary on this after his own daughter admitted she hates her afro and craves long wavy-straight hair white girls her age have.

Have you ever looked up doll experiments?

All black children choose the white barbie doll with long wavy-straight blonde hair over the black barbie doll with the black afro.

Wooly hair texture just is universally despised, and even in areas where whites have no influence or never colonised, in the doll experiments black children still choose the blonde barbie doll over their own race.

Posts: 1575 | From: - | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo_Pyramidologist:
quote:
The hair is one of the most hardest things to leave in a person of African descent. The skin and proportions may change easier, but not the hair which is why blacks are so sensitive about it.

Blacks are sensitive about hair because they self-hate their own natural wooly hair texture, jeeze look how many threads on ES there are where the black posters here go mad on this topic. Its only blacks who are insecure and sensitive about it. African-Americans even call straight hair, ''good hair'', and their own wooly hair as ''bad hair''. Chris Rock did a whole documentary on this after his own daughter admitted she hates her afro and craves long wavy-straight hair white girls her age have.

All black children choose the white barbie doll with long wavy-straight blonde hair over the black barbie doll with the black afro.

Wooly hair texture just is universally despised, and even in areas where whites have no influence or never colonised, in the doll experiments black children still choose the blonde barbie doll over their own race.

i call bullshit on that last paragraph. Can you show us the study that shows the researchers going into areas where whites have never had any form of power or influence and people still choosing a white doll over a black one? You can't! Do you know to this day, whites are looked down on in parts of Africa? Not because they ruled over people and hence animosity exist, but this goes back much further.

Africans used to think that white people were dead because when you die your body turns white. I remember a good friend of mine had a aunt that grew up in a small village and never saw a white person. Then they flew her to america to visit, and she cried the first time she saw a white person. They asked her what is wrong and she thought dead people had started walking again. Another instance, blacks in many part of Africa rationalize that the part of your foot you walk on is white and thus as an extension this makes whites inferior. Also, ask any of your white buddies who have visited parts of Africa and met locals what they call them. They are called "albino" in many local languages, and I assure you, this is not a compliment. Albinos have a stigma in Africa.

It is the descendant of the former slave who craves to mimic these whites and who can blame them. They are bombarded with unrealistic fairy tales of white superiority on TV all damn day. I don't even let my kid watch tv because of this. Very few blacks are on tv shows in any meaningful way. You get a girl here or there, and usually she is bi racial of some sort. Simple minds don't understand the extend of this systematic brainwashing. Chris Rock must be one of those.

Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@anglo-pyramidologist

For someone with a degree (supposedly) in forensic anthropology, you're remarkably thick.

Can you provide evidence that ALL black children choose the white doll? I don't think you can because whilst most black children might show a preference for the white doll, it's certainly NOT a case of ALL. But as a racist you're adept at generalizations, aren't you?

This preference in black children is learned, arising from over-exposure to white media/advertising/European concepts of beauty and under-exposure to decent black alternatives. If these black same children (and their parents and peers) were exposed to several years of television where the majority of the images featured were attractive black people/models, then it would be interesting to run the experiment again, wouldn't it?

See above. This also pertains to areas in Asia. Western media and the dissemination of the white aesthetic are globally hegemonic.

Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confirming Truth
Member # 17678

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confirming Truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop bitching and admit that she is biracial.

quote:
That's not the product of admixed heritage as dark girls can still sport the look. You'd know this if you were in fact black. Many people in Africa could get it too, they just don't have hair that looks the same due to a lack of access to water and supplies that can keep the curl defined. Even white women with curls have the issue of keeping the curls defined and without frizz so don't be quick to try moaning about that either. Froish hair is how natural hair looks combing the curls out/blow drying them or has been slept on. you can also see that on the ends when damage has been done to the hair (heat damage). People like you have nothing to say when African Americans sport fros like Africans because its easier under Euro standards to say it is "ugly." but when we show our hair can naturally sport defined curls you want to behave as though it's not the same hair that sported the fros you can find in Africa. GTFO with that nonsense. It's the same hair that sported those wooly Afros. The same hair you can find in Africa.

Posts: 1340 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

^^^ Thandie Newton with her parents.

we're only comfortable if we classify each of these people into a racial system

Posts: 42981 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Confirming Truth:
Stop bitching and admit that she is biracial.

I wasn't denying she had European ancestry. I simply was noting that having curly hair like hers doesn't require mixing with Europeans. We're the same people who sported the wooly, kinky afros. Our hair is African regardless of European ancestry and that is why blacks are again so sensitive about it.
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo_Pyramidologist:
[QB]
quote:

Blacks are sensitive about hair because they self-hate their own natural wooly hair texture,
Again Thandie Newton also had the same drama going on relaxing her hair but let's just scooch that under the rug because you must admit her curls are cute. If you do things like braid it and add moisture to it, the curls become more defined. The "wooly" hair you speak of are really just undefined curls caused by a blow out, a lack of moisture, braiding and/or heat damaged.

-

-

Boo hoo. Once again I'll repeat CT, Cassi or whatever.... Alicia keys, a girl of clear mixed ancestry can still make the froish texture like the woman above

quote:
Chris Rock did a whole documentary on this after his own daughter admitted she hates her afro and craves long wavy-straight hair white girls her age have.
vomiting up the same excuses of Chris Rock again CT? Try to be a little more creative if you're going to pretend to be someone else. I'll just repeat what I said you last time:

quote:
That documentary has gotten heavy criticism in accurately portraying why black women do it:

quote:
Senior writer for Entertainment Weekly, Alynda Wheat, is one of the people who give Rock credit for bringing attention to the subject, but refutes the idea that a woman who chooses to go to the hair salon has racial identity issues and want to be white. Wheat argues, “I have absolutely no desire to be white, and no one I know sits down in a stylist’s chair because they want to be white. If you’re going to educated people about something, it should be representative of a larger whole than just some actresses or one crazy shop where a weave costs $1,000.”
You also missed my links discussing relaxer sales going down and interest in natural hair is going up. Rock will interview people selling or buying weaves at incredibly high prices (not all of them price that high, c'mon), but he doesn't interview women like Curly Nicki also making thousands each year giving tips and promotion of natural hair. He doesn't go out to the growing number of natural hair spas/salons blooming up that even Fox News did some stories on

ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwxujmSOxVg

...That's right Fox news. The same people that blame blacks for the subprime mortgage crisis and give the world Bill O' the clown.

The New York Times will note these sorts of phenomenons, but it doesn't seem to be as big a focus in Rock's documentary. There are several other factors that the reviews seem to say he misses. Things such as again a lack of an education for how to handle natural hair. Or, that older whites still running corporate America that are intolerant of natural hairstyles. Popular black musicians like Akon and India Arie actually discuss both of those factors in their music. He can't interview them? Many salons will also refuse to work with hair that isn't straightened, even black salons (again Akon goes into this too). It's not an issue of preference, but that they have not been educated to style or cut natural hair.

Older blacks have often internalized racism a lot more or are simply aware of these problems such as hiring. So they have placed relaxers in the hairs of their children before they could formulate an educated opinion. The result has many girls forced to continue the practice of relaxing because they don't know how they will handle 2 different textures in their hair and will not look very well trying to pull off what is now being called "the big chop". Even fake "natural" hair, can loose the tightness of the curl, and isn't as easy to do things like lie on as straight hair.

I can only think of 3 reasons more positive trends didn't get a lot of focus:

1. Positive trends in the black community don't make money. Creating hysteria allowed him to go on Oprah, The View and Tyra's show.

2. He's older. Positive trends are formulating among younger black and are working their way up to older ones.

3. He's a black guy. Issues with hair care and the hair industry are things black females are more likely to have better knowledge of.

There are numerous other factors, to why women are doing this other than self hatred. Sure Many black women are ok with their hair. But like I said with tanning, many people for various reasons aren't going out to meet that ideal. Rock's documentary is fine for understanding only a portion of what's going on. Because of the other things omitted of under emphasized, it is not a replacement for being involved in the black community. Sorry try again

quote:
Read the news? Relaxer sales are going down. Interest in natural hair is going up.

Other posters weighed on your silly joyride earlier:

African woman from Mali

-

Ghana

-

-

Cameroon

-

[Roll Eyes]

Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
'Chris Rock did a whole documentary on this after his own daughter admitted she hates her afro and craves long wavy-straight hair white girls her age have.'

That's because Chris Rock is a fucking idiot who doesn't have the intellectual or critical filtering skills to prevent this from happening.

Live in a diverse area
Never discuss race around your kids
Tell your daughters what beautiful hair they have
Buy them several black dolls
Buy scores of books where black children (from Africa and the diaspora) feature as the only/main character(s)
Aim to watch television that reflects modern diversity, limiting viewing where Europeans predominate
Speak highly of Africa and black people in racially neutral terms

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Chris Rock and many other parents could do numerous things. Among which mothers need to stop wearing their hair straightened so much. It's not wrong to do it sometimes. But if you never wear your hair natural, you're setting an example for your kids. This should be obvious. Newton realized that and stopped relaxing her hair and a growing trend in the adult population has been to go natural so let's hope this helps. Though... I'm not really sure if their mother (the mother of Rock's kid) does the same. Every pic I've seen her in, her hair is straightened.
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Battywashologist:
---

[Roll Eyes]  -
Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing so controversial as Black Beauty.
The Masque of Blackness was requested by Queen Anne of Denmark, the wife of James I.
Shakespeare wrote about black beauty, as did Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë.
The invective against a Black complexion is old, but inspired by the fact that the elite was Black and Black identified, and the outcasts were whites.
Then there was infighting among the Blacks, and guess which dog ran with the bone of discontent...?

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com