EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The Magic Of Moringa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Magic Of Moringa
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelaninKing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moringa oil has been found in many Egyptian tombs. Following thousands of years, it was still stable.

Why was/is Moringa so important and useful?
See below. The tree from God that can feed the world.

A partial list of nutrients found in African Moringa leaf.
 -

A more detailed study (PDF) performed on African Moringa.

Nutritional and Medical Values Of African Moringa

Also, Moringa contains high quantities of Tyrosine and therefore, can recharge the melanin network.
The human body requires approx. 23 Amino-Acids. Moringa contains 18 of these 23.

Many cosmetic companies use small quantities of Moringa oil as a skin cell reinvigoration agent.

Posts: 2403 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pls check here!Moringa,The miracle tree...
Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelaninKing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this.
The plant is amazing!
Everything from the leaves to the root to the seed pods is consumable.

I planted some in my back yard, and they are growing near my Bamboo field.
Their growth is second to Bamboo in their speed of growth.
I planted them 4 months ago, and in another 12 months, they will be full grown.
I plan to offer the oil to those afflicted with high blood pressure and diabetes as an alternative cooking oil. The plant is a natural blood pressure and sugar equalizer.
In another few weeks, I am going to plant another 200 on my land.

tree
 -

Leaves
 -

Seed Pods
 -
 -

Posts: 2403 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This plant, named also ‘miracle tree’, grows spontaneously in Northern India and East Africa and can be grown in poor quality sandy soil. Every part of it can be used: leaves and flowers can be eaten, the roots are used as a substitute for horseradish and an edible, highly nutritious oil can be extracted from the pods. Moreover, the tree can be used to purify dirty water. Their cultivation is a first step to fight against malnutrition and undrinkable water correlated diseases damaging those countries.

VIDEO:
Purifying Water With Seeds from the Moringa oleifera tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKhCFtY4cTI

Posts: 42922 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Question is;
Why is Africa starving when this tree can literally grows like a weed and can feed millions?

So far, the only conditions that limit it's growth are; (1) Cold weather, and (2) too much water from heavy rains such as are found in Asian countries like Vietnam.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MelaninKing:
Question is;
Why is Africa starving when this tree can literally grows like a weed and can feed millions?

So far, the only conditions that limit it's growth are; (1) Cold weather, and (2) too much water from heavy rains such as are found in Asian countries like Vietnam.

It's a leaf not starchy enough to be a staple type of crop like yams or sorgum.
Posts: 42922 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
As the minimal chart above shows, The leaf is rich in Carbohydrates, and more importantly, proteins.

Moringa’s benefits are derived from the plant’s high concentration of bio-available nutrients. Moringa contains high levels of;
Vitamin A (beta carotene),
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine),
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin),
Vitamin B3 (Niacin),
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine),
Vitamin B7 (Biotin),
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid),
Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol),
Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
Vitamin K

Moringa is considered a complete food because it contains all of the essential amino acids required for a healthy body. Dried Moringa leaf is a nutritional powerhouse and contains all of the following amino acids:

ISOLEUCINE builds proteins and enzymes and it provides ingredients used to create other essential biochemical components in the body, some of which promote energy and stimulate the brain to maintain a state of alertness.

LEUCINE works with isoleucine to build proteins and enzymes which enhance the body's energy and alertness.

LYSINE ensures your body absorbs the right amount of calcium. It also helps form collagen used in bone cartilage and connective tissues. In addition, lysine aids in the production of antibodies, hormones, and enzymes. Recent studies have shown lysine improves the balance of nutrients that reduce viral growth.

METHIONINE primarily supplies sulfur to your body. It is known to prevent hair, skin, and nail problems, while lowering cholesterol levels as it increases the liver's production of lecithin. Methionine reduces liver fat and protects the kidneys, which reduces bladder irritation.

PHENYLALAINE produces the chemical needed to transmit signals between nerve cells and the brain. It can help with concentration and alertness, reduce hunger pains, and improve memory and mood.

THREONINE is an important part of collagen, elastin, and enamel proteins. It assists metabolism and helps prevent fat build-up in the liver while boosting the body's digestive and intestinal tracts.

TRYPTOPHAN supports the immune system, alleviates insomnia, and reduces anxiety, depression, and the symptoms of migraine headaches. It also is beneficial in decreasing the risk of artery and heart spasms as it works with lysine to reduce cholesterol levels.

VALINE is important in promoting a sharp mind, coordinated muscles, and a calm mood.

ALANINE is important for energy in muscle tissue, brain, and central nervous system. It strengthens the immune system by producing antibodies. Alanine also helps in the healthy metabolism of sugars and organic acids in the body.

ARGININE causes the release of the growth hormones considered crucial for optimal muscle growth and tissue repair. It also improves immune responses to bacteria, viruses, and tumor cells while promoting the healing of the body's wounds.

ASPARTIC ACID helps rid the body of ammonia created by cellular waste. When the ammonia enters the circulatory system it can act as a highly toxic substance which can damage the central nervous system. Recent studies have also shown that aspartic acid may decrease fatigue and increase endurance.

CYSTINE functions as an antioxidant and is a powerful aid to the body in protecting against radiation and pollution. It can help slow the aging process, deactivate free radicals, and neutralize toxins. It also helps in protein synthesis and presents cellular change. It is necessary for the formation of new skin cells, which aids in the recovery from burns and surgical operations.

GLUTAMIC ACID is food for the brain. It improves mental capacities, helps speed the healing of ulcers, reduces fatigue, and curbs sugar cravings.

GLYCINE promotes the release of oxygen required in the cell-making process. It is also important in the manufacturing of hormones responsible for a strong immune system.

HISTIDINE is used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, allergies, ulcers, and anemia. A lack of histidine may lead to poor hearing.

SERINE is important in storing glucose in the liver and muscles. Its antibodies help strengthen the body's immune system. Plus, it synthesizes fatty acid sheaths around nerve fibers.

PROLINE is extremely important for the proper function of your joints and tendons. It also helps maintain and strengthen heart muscles.

TYROSINE transmits nerve impulses to your brain. (My note: Isn't this description interesting. Tyrosine, the same Amino Acid inhibited in whites and Albinos) IT HELPS OVERCOME DEPRESSION; improves memory; increases mental alertness; plus promotes the healthy functioning of the thyroid, adrenal, and pituitary glands.

IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Question is;

MK

African starvation is a product of biased news reports. Materially poor, perhaps, starving, nooooo!

Africa has the largest growing population in the world. A starving continent could not be growing exponentially.

The food problems in certain parts of Africa are caused by wars, and bad distribution system. But Africa produces enough food to feed billions and billions of new born Muurs who are coming to take over!

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
^ I agree, that the constant and senseless misdirected wars have had most of the ill effects on the African populace than any other crisis.
Still, the catalyst for these wars is the African Tribal mindset.
The AU had the right idea. Africa's only hope was to consolidate, and that's exactly why the AU has been weakened and possibly, destroyed with the invasion of Libya.

--------------------
Melanin King 4Shared Ebook and video depository;
http://www.4shared.com/u/vprmsqkz/1027fc89/melaninking.html

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh-oh, point of possible disagreement. I think I remember the "Iron Lion" not too upset about the US/NATO invasion and the overthrow of Gaddafi. He sounded very nostalgic about the monarchy. I remember Lioness, his wife, accusing him of being too much into monarchies, royalty etc.
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
OK, the title of the thread is about the MAGIC OF MORINGA.
Yet, I notice you have not presented one post on topic.
We have an disagreement on this issue.

Please refrain from using the thread as a stalking vehicle.

--------------------

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MK have you used any part of the plant in a dish,if so how do you go about preparing it.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Brada

So far, I've just eaten the fresh and dried leaves. I've been waiting for my plants to mature and start sprouting seed pods. They taste like string beans while the leaves taste sort of like Spinach or Calaluwe.
Here are some photos of foods cooked using Moringa, for your viewing pleasure.

Scrambled eggs and Moringa leaves
 -

Portabello, Tomatoe, Moringa and chesse
 -

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool if I get my hands on some I'll start experimenting and let y'all know what i came up with.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] Brada

So far, I've just eaten the fresh and dried leaves. I've been waiting for my plants to mature and start sprouting seed pods. They taste like string beans while the leaves taste sort of like Spinach or Calaluwe.

Can the plant be grown indoors?
How long does it take? Does it have to become a full grown tree?

Where did you try and get fresh pods?

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a tree look at the first pic so i don't think you can grow it in doors..good question can the pods/ roots be obtained legally in the states.
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
You can easily grow Moringa in a large pot.

The growth and size of a plant in a pot will be dependent on the size of the pot and how much soil it holds, and the amount of constant light it receives.
A plant in a 30 gallon pot with lots of light would likely grow 6-7 feet until it becomes root bound. Less light will also restrict it's growth.

-

Moringa matures in 18 months.
Reaching this stage of maturity means it will fruit and begin to bear seed pods.
If you pick the pods early, the seeds inside will be soft (like peas) and eatable.

Most Moringa in the US is in the Florida, California regions. These are mostly small farms with less than 20 acres. Because of this most of the fresh pods and leaf are usually sold and used locally.
With small quantities the average consumer would want, the shipping charges would make it very expensive to ship from California to Chicago, for instance. They are perishables, so they would need to ship overnight.

The larger farms are in Asia, Africa, and India. They supply most of the seed and pods used to make Moringa oil.
The Oil is great for cooking, massage oil, medical cabinet addition (antiseptic, anti-inflammatory agent, anti-bacterial agent, anti-fungicidal agent, etc.), Skin and Hair care, and dozens of other applications.

-

Would go great garnishing a slice of this Japanese Yellowfin Tuna.
This piece in a part of a large Tuna weighing approx. 583 lbs, and sold after bidding for over $750,000.
 -

maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pls note we grow moringa stenopetala,and i own the first moringa farm in egypt,if anyone here is intrested in visiting us,then pls inbox me
thx [Smile]

Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Share with us some pics of your farm.

--------------------

maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pls visit the link in my first reply,thx [Smile]
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
^ Sorry, I'm not on Facebook.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I just bought a pouch of Moringa from Moringa Revealed.
It makes a nice tea.
The taste of the dried leaf flakes is like a milder flavor of spinach and parsley.
Try this: heat a tablespoon of olive oil with a teaspoon of Moringa dried leaf flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Dip bread in this or pour it over pasta or potatoes
Can be made into pesto also

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmerthoth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lionese, FYI, the oil makes a very superior sunscreen also.

--------------------
Selenium gives real life and true reality

Posts: 4693 | From: Saturn | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Brada

Scrambled eggs and Moringa leaves
 -

Portabello, Tomatoe, Moringa and chesse
 -

[Eek!]

Those look very tasty.

Recipe please,....? [Cool]

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kengentry9876
Member # 20361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kengentry9876     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know more about moringa usage like how people grow this amazing and miraculous tree in their home garden. I also bought seeds from international market but they got dead. I guess weather condition is not good there. so any suggestion on moringa tree.
Posts: 1 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^^advertiser
"moringa" url leads to wieght loss ad

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmerthoth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I mention that fresh Moringa leaves taste like spinach, swiss chard or Callaloo?

The pods taste in between peas and asparagus.

I use the fallen, discarded leaf material, cooked down with any wanted peppers, I have to make a natural insecticide/Bloom enhancer, that repels bugs, as well as increases the size of fruits by 30-40%.

--------------------

Posts: 4693 | From: Saturn | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Moringa diversity is highest in the Horn of Africa

With nine species,the Horn of Africa is the center of Moringa diversity and include a variety of life forms. Eight of the species found here are endemic (occur nowhere else). M. peregrina is found in northern Somalia, Arabia, and the Red Sea coasts north to the Dead Sea.

-

Horn of Africa map legend
Red x's M. peregrina
Yellow dots M. pygmaea
Gray dots M. longtituba
Pink dots M. ruspoliana
Green dots M. rivae
Blue circles M. borziana
Red dots M. stenopetala
Turquoise dot M. arborea
Gray dots M. longtituba
Pink dots M. ruspoliana
Green dots M. rivae
Blue circles M. borziana
Red dots M. stenopetala
Turquoise dot M. arborea

-

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
The eight Moringa species found in northeast Africa span the whole range of life form variation found in Moringa. All but M. peregrina are endemic to northeast Africa, that is, found nowhere else on earth. These species are tuberous adults or tuberous juveniles maturing to fleshy-rooted adults; colorful, bilaterally symmetrical flowers

M. arborea; NE Kenya
M. borziana; Kenya and Somalia
M. longituba; Kenya, Ethiopia, Somalia
M. pygmaea; N Somalia
M. rivae; Kenya and Ethiopia
M. ruspoliana; Kenya, Ethiopia, Somalia
M. peregrina; Red Sea, Arabia, Horn of Africa
M. drouhardii; Madagascar
M. hildebrandtii; Madagascar
M. ovalifolia; Namibia and extreme SW Angola
M. stenopetala; Kenya and Ethiopia

- Bottle trees

- Trees, shrubs, and herbs of NE Africa

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Maiherpri – King Moringa

Papyrus of Maiherpri

Maiherperi was an Ancient Egyptian noble of Nubian origin buried in the Valley of the Kings, in tomb KV36. He probably lived during the rule of Thutmose IV, and received the honour of a burial in the Valley of the Kings, the royal necropolis. His name can be translated as Lion of the Battlefield,[1]. Amongst his titles were Child of the Nursery and Royal Fan-Bearer of the Right Hand Side. There is speculation that the first title signified that he grew up in the royal nursery as a prince of a vassal territory, or perhaps was the son of a lesser wife or concubine of the pharaoh.[2] He was among the first during the New Kingdom to hold the second title, and was literally true in that he was by the pharaoh’s side, likely as an advisor or bodyguard.[3] This same title was also used to denote the Viceroys of Kush later in the New Kingdom.[4]

Tomb of Maiherpri

In Maiherperi’s tomb, a papyrus was found depicting him with literally “blackish” skin, leading scholars to believe he was in fact Nubian or of Nubian descent.[5] The papyrus in question was the Book of the Dead, in the eyes of O’Connor and Cline “[c]ertainly the most famous and arguably the most beautiful” Book of the Dead.[6].

The mummy was unwrapped by Georges Daressy in March 1901,[7] revealing a mummy whose dark skin matched that depicted on his copy of the Book of the Dead, and thought that this was likely Maiherperi’s natural colour, unchanged by the mummification process.[8] He also had tightly curled, woolly hair, which turned out a wig that had been glued to his scalp.[9]

-

From the Tomb of Maiherpri:18th Dynasty

Jars, Vases & Bowls

This is especially significant, since the expensive oils which some of them held were usually among the first items to be stolen because they did not keep long. Some of the dockets attached to the jars indicated that they had contained b3k-oil, a very expensive commodity made from moringa nuts. The calcite vase seen on the far right below in this plate still contained about three quarts of rancid oil when it was discovered.

The oil from the Moringa Oleifera nut was used by the ancient Egyptians. This extremely fast growing woody species (Moringa oleifera, Moringaceae) could open up a new category of crops: “vegetable trees.” It also produces masses of very small leaflets that are boiled and eaten like spinach. Being so small, the leaflets sun dry in just a few hours and can then be put in a jar and stored for the off-season, a time when dietary minerals and vitamins are often scarce. Moringa seeds could be employed to make water safer for drinking and cooking.

-
Moringa Amphora - From the Tomb of Maiherpri:18th Dynasty Jars, Vases & Bowls This is especially significant, since the expensive oils which some of them held were usually among the first items to be stolen because they did not keep long. Some of the dockets attached to the jars indicated that they had contained b3k-oil, a very expensive commodity made from Moringa nuts. The calcite vase seen on the far right in this plate still contained about three quarts of rancid oil when it was discovered.

-

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
The genus Moringa is indigenous to several countries. These countries include Madagascar,
Namibia, SW Angola, Kenya, Ethiopia, Red Sea, Horn of Africa, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh
and Afghanistan in the northwestern region of the Himalayans (Fahey, 2005).

List of Countries and indigenous species:

Kenya: M. arborea, M. borziana, M. longituba, M. rivae, M. stenopetala
Somalia: M. borziana, M. longituba, M. pygmaea.
Ethiopia: M. longituba, M. rivae, M. ruspoliana, M. stenopetala.
Madagascar: drouhardii, M. hildebrandtii.
Namibia: M. ovalifolia.
Angola: M. ovalifolia.
India: M. concanensis, M. oleifera.
Red sea and Horn of Africa: M. peregrina.

Moringa typically grows in semi-dry, desert or tropical soil which is why it grows well in many
countries that normally have dry soils. There are about thirteen different known species of
Moringa, of which Moringa oleifera is the most studied and used.

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Shezmu

The god Shezmu was a deity of wine and oil presses with a strongly bipolar personality who could equally bless or destroy. He attested from Old Kingdom times on and in the famous 'Cannibal Hymn' of the Pyramid Texts (PT 403), Shezmu is the fearsome being who butchers and cooks the Egyptian Gods themselves that the king might absorb their strength.

In the Coffin Texts of the Middle Kingdom the god lassoes the damned and corrals them for slaughter, squeezing their heads like grapes in a bloody image of destruction (CT VI, 6). In the later texts of the Book of the Dead Shezmu also appears in connection with the nets which captured beings in the afterlife (BOD 153). Yet despite the apparent cruelty of his nature Shezmu could also be beneficent, and as god of the presses he provided wine, oil and perfumes. By the New Kingdom there is more stress on these positive aspects, and Shezmu became known as the provider of perfumes for the Egyptian gods.
His benign aspect became more emphasized by time and in the Book of Going Forth By Day it says: 'Shezmu is with you, he gives you the best of the fowl'.
In the New Kingdom he comes forward as a god producing perfumes and fragrant oils for the gods and on the sarcophagus of Ankhnesneferibre, Gods Wife of Amun, Shezmu is describe as maker of prize quality oil to Re.
In the Graeco-Roman Period, the benevolent aspect became the one emphasized.

-

The Book of the Dead also contains the statement, 'Shezmu is with you, he gives you the best of the fowl' (BOD 170). This role of beneficent provision finally became primary in the Graeco-Roman Period.
Iconography of Shezmu

Shezmu is not frequently depicted in ancient Egyptian art but was usually shown in anthropomorphic form as the master of a press. One mythological papyrus of the 21st Dynasty depicts hawk deities working the presses of retribution which must surely represent Shezmu, and the god may also be depicted in leonine form or with the head of a lion - an iconography in keeping with the more ferocious aspect of his personality. Some late representations also show Shezmu in ram-headed form.
Worship of Shezmu

There is some evidence that Shezmu already had a priesthood during the Old Kingdom, and by the Middle Kingdom his cult was certainly well established in the Fayum and probably elsewhere. As the benign aspect of the god's nature was increasingly stressed, he probably became more widely accepted as an ancillary in the cults of the other Egyptian gods until, in Ptolemaic times, in temples such as Edfu and Dendera, special rooms for the production and storage of oils and unguents and other products used in temple service were persided over by Shezmu 'master of the perfumery'

Read More: http://egyptian-gods.info/shezmu.html#ixzz1w0tiKHX4

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Perfumes in Ancient Egypt
Edited and prepared by Prof. Hamed A. Ead

Throughout the ancient world the Egyptians were famous for their scents and perfumes. The country was considered the most suitable for the manufacture of such commodities. As the distillation of alcohol was not known until the fourth century BC the scents were extracted by steeping plants, flowers or splinters of fragrant wood in oil to obtain essential oil, which would then be added to other oils or fat. The materials were placed in a piece of cloth which was wrung until the last drop of fragrance had been retrieved. Alternatively they were boiled with oil and water and the oil skimmed off.

-

As for the oils, there was a wide choice, the most commonly used being moringa, balanos, castor oil, linseed, sesame, safflower, and, to some extent, almond and olive. According to Theophrastus, who made a thorough study of fragrant substances in an essay entitled concerning odours, balanos was the least viscous and by far the most suitable oil, followed by fresh raw olive oil and almond oil.

One of the most famous Egyptian 'perfumes' was made in the city of Mendes in the Delta, whence it was exported to Rome. It consisted of balanos oil, myrrh and resin. Dioscorides adds cassia. The order in which ingredients were added to the oil was important, as the last one imparted the most pungent scent. Theophrastus mentions as an example that if one pound of myrrh is added to half a pint of oil, and at a later stage one third of an ounce of cinnamon was put in, the cinnamon will dominate. The secret of the Egyptian unguent-makers was obviously to know at which precise moment to add the various ingredients, and at which temperature. The Mendesian 'perfume was known as 'The Egyptian' par excellence. Unlike many others, it was left its natural colour. It had the added advantage of keeping very well: one perfumer in Greece had had a batch in his shop for eight years, and it was even better than the freshly made 'perfume'. Once applied to the skin it lasted well, too. As Theophrastus said: 'A lasting perfume is what women require'. If 'The Egyptian' was found to be too heavily scented, its strong odour could be lightened by being mixed with sweet wine.
Metopion was the name of another Egyptian ointment, Metopion being, according to Dioscorides, the Egyptian name of the plant from which galbanum was derived. It consisted of oil from bitter almonds and unripe olives scented with cardamom, sweet rush, sweet flag, honey, wine, myrrh, seed of balsamum, galbanum and turpentine resin. The wine apparently entered the preparations either to soak the herbs, or to give a certain 'point' to the ointment. According to Dioscorides the best Metopion was the one that smelt more of cardamom and myrrh than of galbanum. In medicine the ointment was considered generally mollifying, heat- and sweat-producing, and it was used to 'open the vessels', draw and purge ulcers and to treat cut sinews and muscles.

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
ancient Egyptian anti-wrinkle cream:

Ingredients include a mixture of;
Frankincense, Moringa Oil, Grass and Fermented Fruit Juices, recommended to be applied daily.

Ancient Egyptian Anti- Wrinkle Cream Updated

One Teaspoon Sweet Almond Oil

Two Drops of Essential oil of Frankincense

Apply to the cleansed face nightly with a gentle massage.

Almonds were a popular ingredient in ancient Egyptian cosmetics.
The Egyptians used oil from Bitter Almonds but Sweet Almond Oil is perhaps the most popular base oil used in modern aromatherapy and very readily available. It has a slight, mild aroma, is light in texture and is absorbed into the skin very quickly.
Frankincense is still imported from Somalia and Oman, trade routes the ancients would have found familiar.
If the aroma of Frankincense is too reminiscent of a church for you and if expense is no deterrent, add one drop of Rose Attar, also a very gentle oil reputed to heal and strengthen facial skin and well known to the Egyptians.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com