EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » NY Bakery Fined $25,000 For Telling Applicant No Hire Because She's Black

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NY Bakery Fined $25,000 For Telling Applicant No Hire Because She's Black
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NY Bakery Fined $25,000 For Telling Applicant No Hire Because She's Black
25-year old Jamilah DeCosta applied for a counter position in 2011.

-

It's been nearly 50 years since the passage of the Civil Rights Act, but racial equality in the workplace is far from a reality. African-American workers are still on the receiving end of hateful epithets. They're also still twice as likely to be unemployed as White workers, as AOL Jobs has reported. Looking for on-the-ground proof of racism in the workplace? Here's what appears to be one example: Jamilah DeCosta said when she applied for a counter job at the Framboise Patisserie in the New York City borough of Queens back in 2011, she was told by one of the owners, "I can't hire you because you're black."

The 25-year old native of the Rego Park section of Queens applied for the counter job after responding to an ad on Craigslist. And she claims the racist message was delivered directly by bakery co-owner Patty Meimetea during her interview. Shaken by the experience, DeCosta filed a complaint with the city's Human Rights Commission. After an investigation and trial, the commission fined the bakery $25,000. The penalty was also the result of the "counter girl" ad's gender bias excluding men, according to the commission.

A White Face Preferred For Customers
In speaking to New York's Daily News, DeCosta said she was dismissed out of hand by the bakery. "Before I could even pull out my resume or start a formal interview, [Meimetea] was telling me all this negative stuff - she couldn't hire me because I was black, I would scare away her customers," she told the newspaper. DeCosta added she was repeatedly asked about her nationality in the interview.

In speaking to the New York newspaper, Meimetea denied the story. "Of course this is not true," she said. Instead, she claimed, the reason DeCosta was rejected was because the position had already been filled.

But according to DeCosta, the bakery owner had a whole explanation as to why she couldn't tap an African-American to work the counter. She's alleged the owner told DeCosta she'd happily hire her to work in the kitchen if a job were available, as she'd be out of sight. And according to DeCosta, Meimetea said her husband and co-owner AJ Saputhanthri would be angry with an African-American at the counter.

The city's investigation found that Framboise Patisserie had never hired a Black worker in its three years of existence. After the investigation was completed, however, two Black workers have been hired to work at the bakery, according to Saputhanthri. And one is now working at the counter.

According to the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United (ROC-United), a nonprofit advocacy group for restaurant workers, racism in the restaurant industry is rampant. Workers of color are paid almost $4-an-hour less than white workers, ROC-United data reveals. Why is the disparity so great? As ROC-United founder Saru Jayaraman previously told AOL Jobs, "There's an expectation that white workers will be better at selling the food."

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, she got $25K but a lot of victims of the colour syndrome don't bother to complain.

One obvious solution always seems lost on blacks. Pool your resources and open your own patisseries and outdo the competition. Why reinvent the wheel/ The Jews of Europe quickly figured out that that's the way to go. They carried the same mindset to places like the U.S., South Africa, and other parts of Africa. That up-scale Westgate Shopping Mall in Nairobi, Kenya, recently attacked by Al Shabaab is owned a Jew from Israel.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is Doxie and the lioness to comment?
Posts: 22244 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raph has gone to shave and cross-dress...

Lionese is at play...

quote:
Originally posted by IronLion:
Lionese at play...

quote:
Originally posted by IronLion:
MUUUURZZZZ! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com