EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Inter-group violence among early Holocene hunter-gatherers of West Turkana, Kenya

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inter-group violence among early Holocene hunter-gatherers of West Turkana, Kenya
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunter-gatherers weren’t as peaceful as we thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UckMvAadRRo

quote:
The nature of inter-group relations among prehistoric hunter-gatherers remains disputed, with arguments in favour and against the existence of warfare before the development of sedentary societies1, 2. Here we report on a case of inter-group violence towards a group of hunter-gatherers from Nataruk, west of Lake Turkana, which during the late Pleistocene/early Holocene period extended about 30 km beyond its present-day shore3. Ten of the twelve articulated skeletons found at Nataruk show evidence of having died violently at the edge of a lagoon, into which some of the bodies fell. The remains from Nataruk are unique, preserved by the particular conditions of the lagoon with no evidence of deliberate burial. They offer a rare glimpse into the life and death of past foraging people, and evidence that warfare was part of the repertoire of inter-group relations among prehistoric hunter-gatherers.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7586/fig_tab/nature16477_F1.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7586/fig_tab/nature16477_F2.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7586/fig_tab/nature16477_SF4.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7586/fig_tab/nature16477_SF5.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7586/fig_tab/nature16477_SF6.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7586/fig_tab/nature16477_SF7.html

--M. Mirazón Lahr et al.

Inter-group violence among early Holocene hunter-gatherers of West Turkana, Kenya

Nature 529, 394–398 (21 January 2016) doi:10.1038/nature16477
Received 31 July 2015 Accepted 23 November 2015 Published online 20 January 2016

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7586/full/nature16477.html

Posts: 22235 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real tawk
Banned
Member # 20324

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real tawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black on black violence is prehistoric too! lol
Posts: 507 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdolo
Member # 21830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdolo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those werent Black people.

They were tanned caucasoids.

Posts: 2818 | From: new york | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real tawk
Banned
Member # 20324

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real tawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kdolo:

so now you don't want to claim them? How convenient. lmfao
Posts: 507 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmerthoth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Real tawk:
quote:

Another alternative is that they were attacked by back migrating albinos who raided their village for food.
The attackers are said to be from elsewhere and it was only 10k yo, so albinos probably existed. It sounds like it was a night raid sneak attack which is an Albino M.O.

Posts: 4693 | From: Saturn | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yep, indigenous black caucasoids, like the Tutsi. Did you read the cranial metric? lol

Bow and arrows. [Roll Eyes]

-

-

Posts: 22235 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdolo
Member # 21830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdolo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Those werent Black people.

so now you don't want to claim them? How convenient. lmfao'

Go.and look up SARCASM

Posts: 2818 | From: new york | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mindovermatter
Member # 22317

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mindovermatter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Narmerthoth:
quote:
quote:

Another alternative is that they were attacked by back migrating albinos who raided their village for food.
The attackers are said to be from elsewhere and it was only 10k yo, so albinos probably existed. It sounds like it was a night raid sneak attack which is an Albino M.O.

So narmer, you never gave me back a response to my theory message of mine. I take it that now you are saying that, that you agree with my theory?

Have you already read my entire theory of Black albino's in Europe now??

Posts: 1558 | From: US | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The oldest remains of Homo sapiens sapiens found in East Africa were associated with an industry having similarities with the Capsian. It has been called Upper Kenyan Capsian, although its derivation from the North African Capsian is far from certain. At Gamble's Cave in Kenya, five human skeletons were associated with a late phase of the industry, Upper Kenya Capsian C, which contains pottery...

The skeletons are of very tall people. They had long, narrow heads, and relatively long, narrow faces. The nose was of medium width; and prognathism, when present, was restricted to the alveolar, or tooth-bearing, region... all their features can be found in several living populations of East Africa, like the Tutsi of Rwanda and Burundi, who are very dark skinned and differ greatly from Europeans in a number of body proportions...

From the foregoing, it is tempting to locate the area of differentiation of these people in the interior of East Africa. There is every reason to believe that they are ancestral to the living 'Elongated East Africans'. Neither of these populations, fossil and modern, should be considered to be closely related to the populations of Europe and western Asia.

--Jean Hiernaux
The People of Africa (Peoples of the World Series) (1975)

quote:
"In sub-Saharan Africa, many anthropological characters show a wide range of population means or frequencies. In some of them, the whole world range is covered in the sub-continent. Here live the shortest and the tallest human populations, the one with the highest and the one with the lowest nose, the one with the thickest and the one with the thinnest lips in the world. In this area, the range of the average nose widths covers 92 per cent of the world range:

only a narrow range of extremely low means are absent from the African record. Means for head diameters cover about 80 per cent of the world range
; 60 per cent is the corresponding value for a variable once cherished by physical anthropologists, the cephalic index, or ratio of the head width to head length expressed as a percentage
....."

--Jean Hiernaux

quote:

The cileuliad transsition may date to as early as 250,000 BP in the Kenya Rift Valley (McBrearty et al. 1996). Some central Rift MSA sites may thus span the penultimate interglacial-glacial cycle (isotope stages 7 and 6), including those with significant numbers of handaxes in Marula Valley (table Ib). It should be possible to use obsidian source use patterns at such sites to determine if there are significant

--STANLEY H. AMBROSE, MIDDLE AND LATER STONE AGE SETTLEMENT PATTERNS 1E.i THE CENTRAL RIFT VALLEY
viceroy
Banned asshole
Member # 20417

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for viceroy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISH ISH ISH = = = LIAR LIAR LIAR LOL!

quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
quote:
The oldest remains of Homo sapiens sapiens found in East Africa were associated with an industry having similarities with the Capsian. It has been called Upper Kenyan Capsian, although its derivation from the North African Capsian is far from certain. At Gamble's Cave in Kenya, five human skeletons were associated with a late phase of the industry, Upper Kenya Capsian C, which contains pottery...

The skeletons are of very tall people. They had long, narrow heads, and relatively long, narrow faces. The nose was of medium width; and prognathism, when present, was restricted to the alveolar, or tooth-bearing, region... all their features can be found in several living populations of East Africa, like the Tutsi of Rwanda and Burundi, who are very dark skinned and differ greatly from Europeans in a number of body proportions...

From the foregoing, it is tempting to locate the area of differentiation of these people in the interior of East Africa. There is every reason to believe that they are ancestral to the living 'Elongated East Africans'. Neither of these populations, fossil and modern, should be considered to be closely related to the populations of Europe and western Asia.

--Jean Hiernaux

quote:
"In sub-Saharan Africa, many anthropological characters show a wide range of population means or frequencies. In some of them, the whole world range is covered in the sub-continent. Here live the shortest and the tallest human populations, the one with the highest and the one with the lowest nose, the one with the thickest and the one with the thinnest lips in the world. In this area, the range of the average nose widths covers 92 per cent of the world range:

only a narrow range of extremely low means are absent from the African record. Means for head diameters cover about 80 per cent of the world range
; 60 per cent is the corresponding value for a variable once cherished by physical anthropologists, the cephalic index, or ratio of the head width to head length expressed as a percentage
....."

--Jean Hiernaux

quote:

The cileuliad transsition may date to as early as 250,000 BP in the Kenya Rift Valley (McBrearty et al. 1996). Some central Rift MSA sites may thus span the penultimate interglacial-glacial cycle (isotope stages 7 and 6), including those with significant numbers of handaxes in Marula Valley (table Ib). It should be possible to use obsidian source use patterns at such sites to determine if there are significant

--STANLEY H. AMBROSE, MIDDLE AND LATER STONE AGE SETTLEMENT PATTERNS 1E.i THE CENTRAL RIFT VALLEY

Posts: 1061 | From: Laos | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viceroy
Banned asshole
Member # 20417

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viceroy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m White, but Tests Show I Have East African DNA. How?

Tracing Your Roots: Finding African ancestry wasn’t as shocking to him as the region of Africa shown in the results.
By: Henry Louis Gates Jr.
Posted: Jan. 23 2015 3:00 AM

maasai
Masai warriors in German East Africa, circa 1906-1918

Wikimedia Commons

Editor’s note: This article was originally published on Aug. 1, 2014.

Dear Professor Gates:

I am very much a “white” person, with no family oral history to suggest otherwise (except the obligatory Native American-ancestor stories, which don’t pan out).

However, when I had a test done for myself by Ancestry DNA, my results came back with around 1 percent African DNA. When painting my chromosomes [to visually highlight relevant areas], I found a moderate-sized segment that comes up sub-Saharan African on all data sets, about 7-8 centimorgans or so.

I had my parents tested, and the same segment shows on my mother’s DNA, except hers is about twice as large, roughly 15-17 cM (she also had a couple of other smaller segments that were African). She also comes up anywhere between 0.8-1.3 percent African (more of that sub-Saharan than what I have). I seem to get some North African/Middle Eastern from my father, who had traces of it in his own test results, but mostly continental European ancestry.

I had a DNA expert look into it further. His first discovery was that the sub-Saharan African result is definitely legitimate and not just noise. When he ran the data further, he found that it matched most strongly from East Africa (the highest match being 1.5 cM to a Masai data sample, as well as multiple other matches). At first he thought it would be from a nearby area, maybe the Near or Middle East or the Mediterranean. As he dug further, he didn’t see it matching any of those nearby regions, and to his surprise, it seemed to suggest that I have an East African ancestor in the last couple hundred years.

I was able to narrow this down to my mother’s father (I had my grandmother tested, and it doesn’t show any of those segments). The paper trail dates back at least 200 years or so without any immigrant ancestors, and everyone we’ve traced shows as “white” on census records, though it’s worth noting that all the people in this branch of my family tree were living in the South.

At first when I saw African DNA, I thought I might have a slave ancestor, though with East African results, I’m a bit at a loss. I’m curious if you know of any reason a “white” American with at least 200 years of American ancestry might have East African DNA. —Matthew Langley

It is certainly possible for you to have an East African ancestor, though you are correct in noting that most enslaved Africans didn’t come from that region. Most of those who did weren’t brought to America.

The Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, headed by David Eltis and Martin Halbert, shows just over 542,000 people embarking from Southeast Africa and a few Indian Ocean islands between 1601 and 1866—just a small fraction of the 12.2 million people who were enslaved and taken from Africa during that period.

Furthermore, as Eltis said in a previous column, “Most transatlantic slave vessels from Southeast Africa sold their captives to Brazil and Cuba—mainly in the 19th century.” They rarely sold enslaved Africans in America, though it did happen.

However, before assuming that your ancestry comes from one of these rare cases, I asked 23andMe’s Katarzyna “Kasia” Bryc to look at the test results and graphs that you submitted. She is the genetic researcher who found that about 4 percent of self-identified white Americans have at least 1 percent or more of African ancestry. After reviewing your documents, she told me, “There is fairly convincing evidence of West African ancestry.” That would be more consistent with the origins of most Americans with forebears from the African continent.

Bryc continued, “First, the Ancestry DNA results suggest ancestry from either Senegal or in Ivory Coast/Ghana for both ‘Matt’ and ‘Mom,’ according to the screenshots. Second, in all of the chromosome paintings, the majority ancestry looks to be assigned to sub-Saharan Africa and West Africa, and I see no strong evidence of East African ancestry in any ancestry painting.”

As for the Masai match you mentioned, Bryc noted, “The Masai population is at the crossroads of North Africa/Middle East and West Africa and is fairly admixed. I suspect that the genetic distance between this region of the genome [in your results] and Masai might appear low, since the regions in the ancestry paintings appear to be made of segments of African and European ancestry.”
[Wink]
See Also

I Am Black but Discovered I Have Jewish DNA. Where Is It From?
Were My Black Texan Ancestors Free and Half-Blackfeet?
Were My Ancestors in an Interracial Love Triangle?
Finding Your Roots Returns to PBS With New Episodes
My Ancestor’s Name and Race Changed in Census Records. Why?
My Cherokee Ancestors Never Went West. Can I Be a Citizen?

She added, “Especially considering that the family history points to the Southern U.S., this seems fairly likely to reflect West African ancestry from several generations ago, consistent with a slave ancestor, though it is hard for me to rule this out without further details on the analysis that linked to East Africa.”

So chances are, like a number of other white Americans, you have an enslaved West African ancestor in your past. Good luck with your ongoing research into your roots!

Henry Louis Gates Jr. is the Alphonse Fletcher University Professor and founding director of the Hutchins Center for African and African American Research at Harvard University. He is also co-founder of The Root. Follow him on Twitter and Facebook.

Posts: 1061 | From: Laos | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by viceroy:
I’m White, but Tests Show I Have East African DNA.

.... Follow him on Twitter and Facebook.

LOL the loony toon is back. You have nothing of importance to contribute here.

quote:

Southeast and south Asian populations are also often thought to be derived from the admixture of various combinations of western Eurasians (‘Caucasoids’), east Asians and Australasians.

These findings, coupled with the recently discovered presence of haplogroup U in Ethiopia [11], support a scenario in which a northeast African population dispersed out of Africa into India, presumably through the Arabian peninsula, before 50,000 years ago (Figure 2). Other migrations into India also occurred, but rarely from western Eurasian populations.

Thus, the ‘caucasoid’ features of south Asians may best be considered ‘pre-caucasoid’— that is, part of a diverse north or north-east African gene pool that yielded separate origins for western Eurasian and southern Asian populations over 50,000 years ago.

--Todd R. Disotell.

Human evolution: The southern route to Asia

Volume 9, Issue 24, 30 December 1999, Pages R925–R928

quote:
According to the current data East Africa is home to nearly 2/3 of the world genetic diversity independent of sampling effect. Similar figure have been suggested for sub-Saharan Africa populations [1].

[...]

The figure, besides a separate clustering of east Africans, indicates the substantial contribution of Africans and east Africans to the founding of populations of Europe and Asia.

[...]

The central position of east Africans and some other Africans emphasizes the founding role of east African gene pool and the disparate alignment on coordinates along which the world populations were founded including populations of Aftica aligning along the 4th dimension.

--Jibril Hirbo, Sara Tishkoff et al.

The Episode of Genetic Drift Defining the Migration of Humans out of Africa Is Derived from a Large East African Population Size

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=011029;p=1#000001

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Brenna Henn, in this 2014 interview on population genetics and population structure, considering African populations. 

“African populations have the most genetic diversity in the world,” Henn said.“If you compared people from the Kalahari Desert to people from Mali, they’d be as different from each other [genetically] as Italians and Chinese people.”

Why are other populations of humans so much less genetically varied than Africans? The answer, Henn explains, lies in our ancestors’ history; the groups of people that migrated out of Africa and spread throughout other continents were smaller subsets of that original, genetically diverse population. 

"AND WITHIN EACH OF THESE GROUPS THERE IS AN AMAZING AMOUNT OF DIVERSITY,[...] THE DIVERSITY IS INDIGNIOUS TO AFRICAN POPULATIONS":

Tracing Family Trees, And Human History, With Genetics

http://youtu.be/Pjf0qKdzmrc

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Genetics of Human Origins and Adaptation

Lecture given by Sarah Tishkoff.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bkPGM9b61P8

quote:
Africa not only has the highest levels of human genetic variation in the world but also contains a considerable amount of linguistic, environmental and cultural diversity. For example, more than 2,000 distinct ethno-linguistic groups, representing nearly a third of the world’s languages, currently exist in Africa

--Michael C. Campbell1 and Sarah A. Tishkoff,

The Evolution of Human Genetic and Phenotypic Variation in Africa (2010)

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

Apparently you take the crown.

-

From “The Better Angels of our Nature,” by Steven Pinker

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com