EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The disastrous burning of the Rio de Janeiro Museum is a great lost for world history

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The disastrous burning of the Rio de Janeiro Museum is a great lost for world history
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6127123/Brazil-National-Museum-fire-Two-years-history-20-million-valuable-pieces-GONE.html

Two hundred years of history and twenty million valuable pieces GONE: Despair as firefighters search charred ruins of Rio's National Museum as hope fades artefacts can be salvaged
A massive fire raced through Brazil's National Museum in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday night and Monday morning
The 200-year-old museum houses artefacts from Egypt, Greco-Roman art and the first fossils found in Brazil
There is no word yet of the possible cause, nor the extent of damage, but images show devastation
Brazil's President, Michel Temer, described the destruction of the building as 'incalculable

-
Five hours after the fire began, firefighters had managed to smother much of the inferno that had torn through hundreds of rooms, but were still working to extinguish it completely by Monday morning

-

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know if Luzia's Skull survived?
Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"• Among the rare items of Rio’s National Museum was a meteorite named ‘Bendego’, the largest one discovered in Brazil, weighing some 5.3 tonnes. The meteorite is one of the few objects that officials could confirm had survived. Apart from Bendego, officials said an Egyptian mummy— another prized item of the museum — had survived the disaster."

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/65715247.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

There is a chance that Luzia survived the blaze: Earlier today, Brazilian historian Marina Amaral posted an unverified tweet stating, “Firefighters found a skull amid the rubble. It may be Luzia, the oldest human fossil ever found in the Americas. A group of experts will analyze it now.”
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/artifacts-destroyed-brazil-devastating-national-museum-fire-180970194/#X5QYBIweshyTfgj6.99

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mena: The disastrous burning of the 200 years Rio de Janiero is a great loss to the Brazilian people, to world history and the world of art. Millions of Ancient Egyptians, Ancient Greeks, Prehistoric and Renaissance European artifacts have been destroyed in that horrible fire. That fire should have never happened. A museum that house billions of dollars and priceless artifacts should have been protected by the world most advance fire alarm and sprinkler system. Their should have been fire fighter department one block away ready to reach the museum in 5 minutes maximum. I understand if the museum was destroyed by an earthquake but not by fire.

I think Rio de Janeiro city hall, Rio State governement and the government of Brazil incompetence are to blame for the destruction of 20 million artifacts in Rio Museum. Instead of spending billion of dollars in the World Cup of Soccer and the Olympics games they should have upgrade the security in their museums.

-
Incalculable damage: Firefighters were still working to put the fire out as the sun rose over Rio de Janeiro this morning

-
Gutted: The roof has been all but destroyed and for most of the museum only the outer walls remain

-
Angry protesters gathered outside the gates to the park that housed the 200-year-old building earlier today

-
Our community is very mobilized, and very indignant,' said Roberto Leher, the rector of the Rio de Janeiro federal university, which administers the museum. 'We all knew the building was vulnerable'

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com