EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Serena loses to Naomi Osaka, U.S. Open + Serena dispute with umpire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Serena loses to Naomi Osaka, U.S. Open + Serena dispute with umpire
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must watch video, long dispute Serena Williams with umpire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBrForlj-k

US Open winner Naomi Osaka

Naomi Osaka

Naomi Osaka was born in Chūō-ku, Osaka to a Haitian father, Leonard "San" François, and a Japanese mother, Tamaki Osaka.[7]

Naomi and her older sister Mari were given their mother's maiden name for practical reasons when the family lived in Japan.[8][9] Her father was born in Haiti and went to New York University before moving to Japan, where he met her mother and later married her.[2]

In racially homogeneous Japan, Osaka is considered hāfu, which is Japanese for biracial.[10] Her Japanese grandfather was furious when he found out that her mother was romantically involved with a black man. As a result of the interracial relationship, her mother did not have contact with her family for over ten years.[8] In a 2016 interview, Osaka said: "When I go to Japan, people are confused. From my name, they don’t expect to see a black girl."[11]

Osaka and her sister Mari, who is also a professional tennis player, have played together in doubles.[12] Osaka moved at the age of three with her family to the United States where she currently resides in Florida.[9] She graduated from Elmont Alden Terrace Primary and Broward Virtual High School. Her tennis club was the Harold Solomon Institute (Florida Tennis SBT Academy), ProWorld Tennis Academy.[13]

After her win against Serena Williams Osaka's grandfather stated that he wept watching his granddaughter on television. "It still hasn't sunk in for me yet. The moment she won, my wife and I rejoiced together. I was so happy, I cried," he told public broadcaster NHK. "I hope she stays healthy and continues her good work. I also hope she wins at the Tokyo Olympics [in 2020]," he said.[14]

Osaka has been described as Japanese, American, Japanese-American, American-Japanese, Haitian-Japanese, and Haitian-American-Japanese.[15][16][17][18][19] Being raised in the United States while having a mother who is Japanese and a father who is Haitian-American[20] contributes to Osaka's multi-ethnic identity.[21] Osaka has dual Japanese and American citizenship but she is not fully fluent in Japanese.[10]

-

US Open winner Naomi Osaka speaks out on controversial Serena Williams match

LINK

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why Serena Williams lost her temper disputing with the umpire while playing against Naomi Osaka. Serena is usually a very calm person.
Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mena7:
I don't understand why Serena Williams lost her temper disputing with the umpire while playing against Naomi Osaka. Serena is usually a very calm person.

When something keeps happening over and over, at a given moment even the quietest person will explode.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Crystal         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mena7:

She cracked under the pressure of a player who was equal to or better than her, who was not white. She is losing the privilege (well, actually, she earned it) of America beholding her as the black face of the best female tennis player in American history. Because she did not retire, she lost, therefore will not go down in history as the best. Add onto that the fact the sun was setting on her She (now a mother and pushing 40). Serena was literally fighting for her life!

--------------------
BC

Posts: 297 | From: Bronx | Registered: Apr 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Crystal         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I think her coach purposely sabotaged whatever chances she had to win.

--------------------
BC

Posts: 297 | From: Bronx | Registered: Apr 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Crystal:
Personally I think her coach purposely sabotaged whatever chances she had to win.

motive?
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
He is her former paramour and she chose the husband over him.

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

motive?

--------------------
BC

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
He is her former paramour and she chose the husband over him.

quote:
quote:

motive?

Is there anything in the media that suggests that?

quote:

NY Times

The chair umpire, Carlos Ramos, known for being a stickler, spotted Williams’s coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, gesturing in the stands. Taking this to be coaching, he assessed a “code violation,” essentially a warning.

Williams, playing a tough Naomi Osaka, later smashed her racket, which is an automatic code violation. Because it was her second, it resulted in a point penalty. Williams, in an extended, heated admonition, accused Ramos of stealing the point from her, leading to a third violation for verbal abuse and the forfeiting of a game. Williams eventually lost the match to Osaka, 6-2, 6-4.

Looking at your conspiracy theory the result of the coach making a hand signal (which he admitted to) was a warning from the umpire to Serena.

It didn't actually result in the loss of a point until she later smashed her racket and made more remarks.

So if this umpire did that intentionally to make her lose he wouldn't know that Serena would do something resulting in the loss of the point and game

However

quote:

Despite coach Patrick Mouratoglou admitting he was coaching from the box, Williams doubled down on her claim, insisting she knew nothing about it.

"He said he made a motion," she told The Project, in an interview to air next week. "I don't understand what he was talking about. We've never had signals."

This is a bit odd. I think there is an upcoming interview with the coach. If he agrees that they never used hand signals he will then have to explain why he was making one and how she would know what it meant.
Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
I have no evidence except my spidey conspiracy senses Lol

--------------------
BC

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The umpire knew that much was at stake in this match. Serena was poised to equal Margaret Court's record which would put her in a position to break it in the next year or so.

Serena has been playing top class tennis for more than 20 years, so the idea that she could be coached at this stage is ludicrous. She was unnecessarily docked points for that. Breaking ones own racquet usually elicits a warning, so it would seen that the umpire--like referees in boxing and soccer matches--was not being neutral. Most likely, that Latino umpire didn't want Serena to equal Australian, Margaret Court's record on his watch. The nature of that Australian cartoon on Serena's attitude during the match confirms that many viewers just don't want that greatest U.S. tennis player to break Margaret Court's record.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:

Serena has been playing top class tennis for more than 20 years, so the idea that she could be coached at this stage is ludicrous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmSRAlpdC4k

Serena Williams' Coach Patrick Mouratoglou Admits He Was Coaching

Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
Dude, did you even watch the grand slam? Her coach outright admitted to coaching!!! lmfao. Personally I think his intent was to sabotage Serena's game.

quote:
The umpire knew that much was at stake in this match. Serena was poised to equal Margaret Court's record which would put her in a position to break it in the next year or so.

Serena has been playing top class tennis for more than 20 years, so the idea that she could be coached at this stage is ludicrous. She was unnecessarily docked points for that. Breaking ones own racquet usually elicits a warning, so it would seen that the umpire--like referees in boxing and soccer matches--was not being neutral. Most likely, that Latino umpire didn't want Serena to equal Australian, Margaret Court's record on his watch. The nature of that Australian cartoon on Serena's attitude during the match confirms that many viewers just don't want that greatest U.S. tennis player to break Margaret Court's record.

--------------------
BC

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
'I'm honest, I was coaching,' Mouratoglou said after the game. 'I don't think she looked at me, so that's why she didn't even think I was.'

claims that Sascha Bajin, champion Naomi Osaka's coach, was also 'coaching every point too'.

'I was, like 100 percent of the coaches in 100 percent of the matches, so we have to stop this hypocritical thing,' he told ESPN.

'Sascha was coaching every point too. It's strange that this chair umpire was the chair umpire of most of the finals of Rafa [Nadal] and [his uncle] Toni's coaching every single point and he never gave a warning so I don't really get it.'

Williams later said she was shocked to hear Mouratoglou admit to coaching.

'We have never discussed signals,' she said. 'I don't even call for on-court coaching. I'm trying to figure out why he would say that. I don't understand. I mean, maybe he said "You can do it''.

'I was on the far other end, so I'm not sure. I want to clarify myself what he's talking about.'

Mouratoglou later said he was just doing what every other coach does and that the umpire's reaction was 'extreme'.

'He would say he saw you coach, do a movement and give a warning. What he did was so extreme. It's a shame.

'There's a rule, yes. But you don't screw a Grand Slam final and make it the drama the way it was. It could have easily been avoided if there was psychology.'

Mouratoglou said Williams felt she was 'insulted' by Ramos.

'[He] treated her like a cheater,' he said. 'She felt completely humiliated. That's why she reacted like that. Integrity is the most important thing to her.'

Williams will be fined $17,000 for arguing with Ramos on Saturday.

She has been docked for three separate code violations: $4,000 for a coaching violation, $3,000 for smashing her racket, and $10,000 for 'verbal abuse' toward Ramos, according to TMZ.

The fines will come out of Serena's $1.85million winnings from the tournament.

Williams has claimed she was the victim of sexism after Ramos docked her a point for Mouratoglou's gesture, accusing him of being a 'thief'.

'I never got coaching. I explained that to you and for you to attack my character then something is wrong. You're attacking my character. Yes you are. You owe me an apology,' she told him.

'You will never, ever, ever be on another court of mine as long as you live. You are the liar. When are you going to give me my apology? You owe me an apology.'

'Say it, say you're sorry. Then don't talk to me, don't talk to me. How dare you insinuate I was cheating? You stole a point from me. You're a thief too.'

Ramos then gave her a third violation, which resulted in a game penalty and Osaka 5-3 ahead.

A tearful Williams argued her case with tournament officials but, although she held serve in the next game, Osaka served out the victory 6-2, 6-4.

Asked in her press conference what she would have done differently in hindsight, Williams became increasingly emotional.

'I can't sit here and say I wouldn't say he's a thief, because I thought he took a game from me,' she told reporters.

'But I've seen other men call other umpires several things. I'm here fighting for women's rights and for women's equality.

'For me to say "thief" and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark. He's never taken a game from a man because they said "thief". It blows my mind.

'I just feel like the fact that I have to go through this is just an example for the next person that has emotions, and that wants to express themselves, and wants to be a strong woman.

'They're going to be allowed to do that because of today. Maybe it didn't

ennis legend Billie Jean King, who won 12 Grand Slam singles titles, including four US Opens, was among those who jumped to back Williams as the row escalated.

'Several things went very wrong during the Women's Finals today,' King said on Twitter.

'Coaching on every point should be allowed in tennis. It isn't, and as a result, a player was penalized for the actions of her coach. This should not happen.

'When a woman is emotional, she's "hysterical" and she's penalized for it. When a man does the same, he's 'outspoken' and there are no repercussions.

'Thank you, @serenawilliams, for calling out this double standard. More voices are needed to do the same.'

Victoria Azarenka, a two-time Australian open winner and former world No 1, was also supportive of Williams.

She tweeted: 'If it was men's match, this wouldn't happen like this. It just wouldn't.'

Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes and figure skater Adam Rippon, who both attended the match, likewise rose to Williams' defense.

'Serena is right. I was there. And worse, he was baiting her,' Rhimes tweeted.

'Was there and completely agree,' Rippon added. 'Much worse has gone on in a mens game with no punishment. Despite what happened, she was so gracious in trying help create a special moment for Naomi in the end.'

Both Osaka and Williams were in tears during the emotional trophy ceremony as the crowd filled the stadium with a chorus of booing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6148301/Serena-Williams-coach-admits-coaching-Open-finals.html

Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
You see, The Lioness, her own coach blindsided her with that admission. That dude deliberately sabotaged her. I am starting to believe there was a cabal, and he and the umpire were a part of it, that wanted to ensure she would no longer continue the legacy of being number one female tennis player. They wanted her dethroned.

quote:
'I'm honest, I was coaching,' Mouratoglou said after the game. 'I don't think she looked at me, so that's why she didn't even think I was.'

claims that Sascha Bajin, champion Naomi Osaka's coach, was also 'coaching every point too'.

'I was, like 100 percent of the coaches in 100 percent of the matches, so we have to stop this hypocritical thing,' he told ESPN.

'Sascha was coaching every point too. It's strange that this chair umpire was the chair umpire of most of the finals of Rafa [Nadal] and [his uncle] Toni's coaching every single point and he never gave a warning so I don't really get it.'

Williams later said she was shocked to hear Mouratoglou admit to coaching.

'We have never discussed signals,' she said. 'I don't even call for on-court coaching. I'm trying to figure out why he would say that. I don't understand. I mean, maybe he said "You can do it''.

'I was on the far other end, so I'm not sure. I want to clarify myself what he's talking about.'

Mouratoglou later said he was just doing what every other coach does and that the umpire's reaction was 'extreme'.

'He would say he saw you coach, do a movement and give a warning. What he did was so extreme. It's a shame.

'There's a rule, yes. But you don't screw a Grand Slam final and make it the drama the way it was. It could have easily been avoided if there was psychology.'

Mouratoglou said Williams felt she was 'insulted' by Ramos.

'[He] treated her like a cheater,' he said. 'She felt completely humiliated. That's why she reacted like that. Integrity is the most important thing to her.'

Williams will be fined $17,000 for arguing with Ramos on Saturday.

She has been docked for three separate code violations: $4,000 for a coaching violation, $3,000 for smashing her racket, and $10,000 for 'verbal abuse' toward Ramos, according to TMZ.

The fines will come out of Serena's $1.85million winnings from the tournament.

Williams has claimed she was the victim of sexism after Ramos docked her a point for Mouratoglou's gesture, accusing him of being a 'thief'.

'I never got coaching. I explained that to you and for you to attack my character then something is wrong. You're attacking my character. Yes you are. You owe me an apology,' she told him.

'You will never, ever, ever be on another court of mine as long as you live. You are the liar. When are you going to give me my apology? You owe me an apology.'

'Say it, say you're sorry. Then don't talk to me, don't talk to me. How dare you insinuate I was cheating? You stole a point from me. You're a thief too.'

Ramos then gave her a third violation, which resulted in a game penalty and Osaka 5-3 ahead.

A tearful Williams argued her case with tournament officials but, although she held serve in the next game, Osaka served out the victory 6-2, 6-4.

Asked in her press conference what she would have done differently in hindsight, Williams became increasingly emotional.

'I can't sit here and say I wouldn't say he's a thief, because I thought he took a game from me,' she told reporters.

'But I've seen other men call other umpires several things. I'm here fighting for women's rights and for women's equality.

'For me to say "thief" and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark. He's never taken a game from a man because they said "thief". It blows my mind.

'I just feel like the fact that I have to go through this is just an example for the next person that has emotions, and that wants to express themselves, and wants to be a strong woman.

'They're going to be allowed to do that because of today. Maybe it didn't

ennis legend Billie Jean King, who won 12 Grand Slam singles titles, including four US Opens, was among those who jumped to back Williams as the row escalated.

'Several things went very wrong during the Women's Finals today,' King said on Twitter.

'Coaching on every point should be allowed in tennis. It isn't, and as a result, a player was penalized for the actions of her coach. This should not happen.

'When a woman is emotional, she's "hysterical" and she's penalized for it. When a man does the same, he's 'outspoken' and there are no repercussions.

'Thank you, @serenawilliams, for calling out this double standard. More voices are needed to do the same.'

Victoria Azarenka, a two-time Australian open winner and former world No 1, was also supportive of Williams.

She tweeted: 'If it was men's match, this wouldn't happen like this. It just wouldn't.'

Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes and figure skater Adam Rippon, who both attended the match, likewise rose to Williams' defense.

'Serena is right. I was there. And worse, he was baiting her,' Rhimes tweeted.

'Was there and completely agree,' Rippon added. 'Much worse has gone on in a mens game with no punishment. Despite what happened, she was so gracious in trying help create a special moment for Naomi in the end.'

Both Osaka and Williams were in tears during the emotional trophy ceremony as the crowd filled the stadium with a chorus of booing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6148301/Serena-Williams-coach-admits-coaching-Open-finals.html

--------------------
BC

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] You see, The Lioness, her own coach blindsided her with that admission. That dude deliberately sabotaged her. I am starting to believe there was a cabal, and he and the umpire were a part of it, that wanted to ensure she would no longer continue the legacy of being number one female tennis player. They wanted her dethroned.

A win for Serena would have been another big win for him
Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
Not for a scorned former lover.

quote:
quote:
[QB] You see, The Lioness, her own coach blindsided her with that admission. That dude deliberately sabotaged her. I am starting to believe there was a cabal, and he and the umpire were a part of it, that wanted to ensure she would no longer continue the legacy of being number one female tennis player. They wanted her dethroned.

A win for Serena would have been another big win for him

--------------------
BC

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] Not for a scorned former lover.

I could sit here and think of several motives with no evidence

in any situation

-

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2017/07/11/again-issue-of-coaching-during-a-match-raised-at-wimbledon/103612150/

Again, issue of coaching during a match raised at Wimbledon
AP Published 4:15 p.m. ET July 11, 2017

LONDON (AP) — Svetlana Kuznetsova noticed it. Her coach even complained about it during the second set.

But Garbine Muguruza said she was not being coached by her team during Tuesday's 6-3, 6-4 quarterfinal victory at Wimbledon.

"It was pretty clear because we all speak Spanish here. She was talking to her all the time," Kuznetsova said. "It's her physio. I mean, I know she acts like this all the time. I don't think it's appropriate, but OK, I was focused on my game."

It's not the first time coaching during a match has been raised at Wimbledon this year. On Monday, Caroline Garcia said she did not see her father and coach signaling to her during her fourth-round loss to Johanna Konta.

Unlike on the WTA Tour, where coaches are allowed onto the court to speak to players during changeovers, communication is forbidden at Grand Slam tournaments. At the qualifying tournament for the next major, however, the U.S. Open will experiment with letting coaches communicate with their players from the stands between points.

During the match against Muguruza, Kuznetsova's coach, Hernan Gumy, gestured to the chair umpire midway through the second set to complain about what he was hearing from the opposing box.

Muguruza said it was nothing.

"They were cheering for me, I know. She (Kuznetsova) speaks Spanish. The coach is Spanish. They could perfectly understand everything they were saying," Muguruza said. "Honestly, they were just cheering for me. I like when my team is behind me. But nothing really tactical or specific."

Kuznetsova had a run-in with the same chair umpire, Marijana Veljovic, at the All England Club last year. During her third-round victory over Sloane Stephens, Kuznetsova received a code violation for coaching, which was followed by a heated discussion with Veljovic.

"The thing is, the same umpire gave my coach a warning last year for telling me, 'Vamos. Vamos,'" Kuznetsova said. "Then this girl was talking to Garbine during the match. She didn't say anything to her. (That's) probably what surprised him a lot."

Muguruza, the runner-up at Wimbledon in 2015, will next face unseeded Magdalena Rybarikova in the semifinals on Thursday. Konta and Venus Williams will play in the other semifinal match.

Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
the lioness, Serena has stated she NEVER EVER received coaching from the sidelines. So why would her coach do it when he knows she does not get down like that? Come on, son! think!

--------------------
BC

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
the lioness, Serena has stated she NEVER EVER received coaching from the sidelines. So why would her coach do it when he knows she does not get down like that? Come on, son! think!

That assumes one person is lying and the other is telling the truth
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ BLACK CRTSTAL

Fool, Serena is arguably the greatest tennis player of all time. At that level she wouldn't need coaching by some low grade Frenchman. He was chosen to coach her just for extra-tennis matters.

Serena says she wasn't being coached. She is very believable.

At her level, Serena relies on quick thinking, very quick reflexes, quick footwork--and that power serve. What the heck does that Frenchman have to do with Serena's play.

As mentioned in a post above that deceitful Hispanic umpire just didn't want Serena to equal Margaret Court's record. Stupid jealousy of a tonto/moron.

Stop looking at things so naively.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

"I'm honest, I was coaching,"

said Serena Williams' Coach Patrick Mouratoglou after the game.

Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
Are you a fu....

comment deleted, no insults in the forum please

[ 25. September 2018, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: the lioness, ]

--------------------
BC

Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
the lioness, why wasn't lamin censored as well? he insulted me. Please review his remark to me. It was utterly insulting.

quote:
quote:

"I'm honest, I was coaching,"

said Serena Williams' Coach Patrick Mouratoglou after the game.

--------------------
BC

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] the lioness, why wasn't lamin censored as well? he insulted me. Please review his remark to me. It was utterly insulting.

all he said was "fool" but you went into the more than one actual curse words

"fool" is borderline, light insult

but lamin please don't use insults anyway because we see the result, the next person takes it to the next level

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
That lmfao was a prior insult which warranted "fool".
Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
quote:
That lmfao was a prior insult which warranted "fool".

so laughing is an insult now? lmao!!!!

--------------------
BC

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com