EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Blacks in History

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blacks in History
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So apparently a lot of people don't know that there are people who've been classified as black that aren't Sub Saharan Africans. So I'm opening this thread for people to leave info they've read or come to find in the future. Things that explain their history in general or past/present moments/stories in history that highlights blacks outside of SSA. Feel free to post vid links too if you find any. Thanks again.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Jahiz

ARISTOTLE(from his text PHYSIOGNOMICA)
"Too black a hue as an Egyptian or Nubian marks a coward, so too, too white a hue--as you see with women. The best color is the intermediate tawny color of the lion. That color makes for courage".

Melanesians.

The term Melanesia derives from the Greek "melas" meaning "black".

But what to make of this? Nature is a B--for sure.
https://www.google.com/search?q=solomon++islanders++images&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=vhxLSgnKSBq1hM%253A%252Cf2e0yOZW1pD6aM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQY17VG26ns4Jnm vHyPq6OWscbnSw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwih8PTrjv3eAhUvqoMKHcfEA1sQ9QEwCXoECAMQFg#imgrc=vhxLSgnKSBq1hM:

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshaT
Member # 22658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshaT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to hoard my receipts. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:

by the the time her family came to Egypt, Lower Egypt and much of Upper Egypt would not be best described as black in phenotype.

Ahistoric nonsense.
During and after the Ptolemys, Greeks&Romans author Egyptians a generally black populace, despite centuries of conquest by and well-known admixture with non-Africans.

-350 Ptolemaic era Aristotle wrote Egyptians were too black.

-300 Diogenes lets us know 'Egyptian Vine-shoot' was the nickname of a tall, skinny, twisted neck man of black complexion.

Turn of Eras Strabo tried to explain why Egyptians are darker than Indians.

+60 Ammianus Marcellinus preserves 1st century Common Era Egyptians as brown and black.

+ 160 Lucian records a conversant describing an Egyptian boy black.

+ 2nd century Achilles Tatius noted herdsman in the Delta were blackish like half and halves.

All the above is common knowledge since 1981.
As late as Byzantium a north Med writer is still placing Egyptians between Sudan and India colorwise.
And the early Islamic authors rank the Qubti among other blacks as per the Semitic religion based views.

According to Greek historian Arrian 

"The Indians use linen clothing,  made from the flax taken from the trees, about which I have already spoken. And this flax is either whiter in color than any other flax, or the people being black make the flax appear whiter. They have a linen frock reaching down halfway between the knee and the ankle, and a garment which is partly thrown round the shoulders and partly rolled round the head. The Indians who are very well-off wear earrings of ivory; for they do not all wear them. 

Arrian (Indica 6.9):
The appearance of the inhabitants is also not very different in India and Ethiopia: the southern Indians are rather more like Ethiopians as they are black to look on, and their hair is black; only they are not so snub-nosed or woolly-haired as the Ethiopians; the northern Indians are most like the Egyptians physically.

Strabo:
As for the people of India, those in the south are like the Aethiopians in color, although they are like the rest in respect to countenance and hair (for on account of the humidity of the air their hair does not curl), whereas those in the north are like the Egyptians.

This is similar to Aeschylus' centuries earlier work Suppliant Maidens
where he gives us a list of peoples and locations of peoples considered
"people of colour" whom the northern Mediterraneans saw as no relation
to themselves but as part of what they considered the black world:
quote:

quote:
"O stranger maids, I may not trust this word,
That ye have share in this our Argive race.
No likeness of our country do ye bear,
But semblance as of Libyan womankind.
Even such a stock by Nilus' banks might grow;
Yea, and the Cyprian stamp, in female forms,
Shows, to the life, what males impressed the same.
And, furthermore, of roving Indian maids
Whose camping-grounds by Aethiopia lie,
And camels burdened even as mules, and bearing
Riders, as horses bear, mine ears have heard;
And tales of flesh-devouring mateless maids
Called Amazons: to these, if bows ye bare,
I most had deemed you like. Speak further yet,
That of your Argive birth the truth I learn."

This appears to be the first written example of the phrase
"they all look alike to me" as the Argive king tells the young
ladies they look like they come from Libya, Egypt, Cyprus, India,
Aethiopia, Arabia, or "Amazonia" all whose peoples he can't tell
one from the other (and none of whom look anything like his
Greek white people)!

This mess about a quote from Manilius (not sure if related to the above)

Two examples of Al-Jahiz's Risalat mufakharat al-Sudan 'ala al-Bidan (The Boasts of the Blacks Over the Whites) in full. And an excerpt(???)

Posts: 24 | From: Jamaica | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, an accountant!
Both sides the ledger equal [Cool]
Itemize deductions

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com