EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Where did this image of St. Nicholas come from?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where did this image of St. Nicholas come from?
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a meme I saw on my Facebook feed today.
 -
Personally, if those aren't simply wrinkles on the saint's brow, maybe they could be scarifications?

Regardless, does anyone know where the image on the left comes from? Is it really St. Nick being portrayed here (despite the original St. Nicholas supposedly coming from Turkey rather than Africa), or some other saint?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Afreccentric/Blakcentric poppycock that Greek off-white St Nicholas was a forehead cicatriced African from where ever.

What about the authentic Catholic/Orthodox bishops of African descent?

I sure hope a descendant of Middle Passage survivors, ashamed of Africa, and just wannabe a white European in blackface, didn't put that meme combining two fantasies together.

Meanwhile, Victor, Miltiades, and Gelasius go unsung.

Of no use for esteemless needers to justify their Black Santa.

Here's a 16th c copy of a 12th century Russian icon of the brotha
 -

If this is too big I'll leave just the link addr.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:
 -
Personally, if those aren't simply wrinkles on the saint's brow, maybe they could be scarifications?

Regardless, does anyone know where the image on the left comes from? Is it really St. Nick being portrayed here (despite the original St. Nicholas supposedly coming from Turkey rather than Africa), or some other saint?

Why are you mentioning Africa?
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very little is known for certain about the life of our Nicholas, beyond that he was bishop of Myra in the late third to early fourth century CE. It is possible that he was one of the few hundred bishops that attended the 325 CE Council of Nicaea, as the majority of those bishops were from the Eastern provinces and many were never named. However, none of Nicholas’s contemporaries mentions him specifically. It is an unfortunate accident of history that Saint Nicholas left no personal writings.

Despite this scarcity of evidence, it seems likely that Nicholas had at least existed. The earliest written reference to St. Nicholas of Myra surfaces about 250 years after the saint’s probable death, in an account of another man named Nicholas. St. Nicholas of Sion had apparently adopted Nicholas’s name as a tribute to the earlier saint. His account notes that there was a martyrium – a small structure built over the site of a saint’s grave or dedicated to their memory – which honoured St. Nicholas of Myra as early as the sixth century. The name and the martyrium in this account both indicate that the cult of St. Nicholas had flourished not long after his death. This is evidence at least that there was a man named Nicholas of Myra who was remembered as an extraordinarily good witness of the faith.

-
oldest surviving icon of St Nicholas, painted in Constantinople, 10th century. currently stored in the monastery of St Catherine in Sinai.

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

-

Regardless, does anyone know where the image on the left comes from? Is it really St. Nick being portrayed here (despite the original St. Nicholas supposedly coming from Turkey rather than Africa), or some other saint? [/QB]

as with Tukuler, similar but not the same

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2017/12/the-legend-of-st-nicholas-in-liturgy.html#.XADzyOJOnYA

A Russian icon of St Nicholas, painted ca. 1500-50, showing episodes from his life and his miracles in the small panels that form the border.

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2017/12/the-legend-of-st-nicholas-in-liturgy.html#.XAD1QuJOnYA

-

-

Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Crystal         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctored by some Afrocentrist or blaccentrist to appear black. Here is the unaltered version:

-

quote:
 -

--------------------
BC

Posts: 297 | From: Bronx | Registered: Apr 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^ no that is not a match either. The one you posted has thicker crosses, no halo and the eyes are looking to the side.

There are many Russian icons of St Nicholas, some copies of each other with minor variations

Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Crystal         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
^ no that is not a match either. The one you posted has thicker crosses, no halo and the eyes are looking to the side.

There are many Russian icons of St Nicholas, some copies of each other with minor variations

You are correct. I did not catch the difference.

--------------------
BC

Posts: 297 | From: Bronx | Registered: Apr 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the guy did live, though I don't think too many 4th c 'Turks' were blacks.
Can't remember if Abyssinia was Xtian then so probably not a Byzantine nationalized Ethiopian.
Xtian lit makes a Meroe Kandake's official a convert.
Are there historical docs of Sudani Xtians?
There were aMazigh Xtians then though, like those 3 popes in my initial post.

http://www.basilicasannicola.it/
Icons of Nicky come in dark skin, amber skin and pale skin. (links)
Based on analysis of bones attributed to him, I think he lived.
Whether a northern African or a NE Mediterranean man, those bones may hold the answer.

OP needs to give us full context of his meme.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Habsburg Agenda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one have no problem with seeing the lines on St Nicholas as signs of scarification.

Take this image which Lioness describes as a balsamarium. I have no problem associating scarification with her features. The quality of the image is poor, but I wouldn't be surprised to see scarification marks on it if the quality was a lot better.

-

Take the Madonna of Czechostowa. If it wasn't for the fact that the marks on it extended below her jaw they could be easily tribal marks.

-

This whole business of some kind of impossibility of negros or Sub-Saharan Africans having a presence in West Asian and Mediterranean history in antiquity simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Just read the article below and checkout the amazing doublespeak!!

Original

https://www.haaretz.com/1.5058681?v=ED2ECA502ED8823CC9BBA8904A2A1FD5

Cached

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5xRlfb7X2LoJ:https://www.haaretz.com/1.5058681+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b

--------------------
The Habsburg Agenda - Defending Western Christian civilization

Posts: 890 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

1) There was several St. Nicholas. It probably was a title.

2) Turkey didn't exist back then.

3) For accurate sources and descriptions you need to go to Classical Greek and Latin.

I'd like to see the text in the book Lioness has posted.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

-

I'm trying to figure this out, did St Nicholas have Klingonian ancestry or did the Klingons have some St Nicolasian ancestry?
Also were the Klingons Catholic origianlly?

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, dey wuz Eastern Orthodox but Catholic Trek got docced too
 -

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
KOR

Here is Kor from the first Klingon episode 1967.
Note the wrinkle forehead type Klingon came later.
The writers only found out that Klingons had St Nicholosian ancestry so they added the wrinkles to be more biologically accurate

Dahar Master Kor,above, . He was among the most influential warriors and respected military leaders of the Klingon Empire.

Kor was the last son of the House of Kor and descendant of the Klingon Imperial Family. He also had a son. He was descended from Klingons affected with the augment virus created in 2154, a product of 22nd century Klingon genetic engineering. By the 24th century, he was cosmetically indistinguishable from an average Klingon. (ENT: "Divergence"; DS9: "Blood Oath"; TOS: "Errand of Mercy")

-
Worf and B’Elanna

B'Elanna was born on the Federation colony Kessik IV to John Torres, a Human father and Miral, a Klingon mother.

-
Star Trek Discovery Klingon "True Klingon"

TrekCore excerpted an interview with Discovery writer Ted Sullivan from the magazine SFX... In it, Sullivan explains what the new Klingon Sarcophagus ship is all about. “It’s a 200-year-old ship. This is a group of Klingons who’ve gone back to a puritan way of life. They look very different: they wear armor that’s 200 years old and they don’t have any hair,” Sullivan said.” Their commander runs his Klingon house – the house of T’Kuvma – by the rules of Kahless, the Klingon messiah. And he calls himself the second coming of the Klingon messiah.”

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Habsburg Agenda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lioness this excessive dwelling on Star Trek derails the thread, and frankly this presence of people on Egyptsearch who are either ignorant of African people, or are knowledgeable of Africa but have a problem with Africans being seen in a more advanced light is tiresome. Your are lucky Mike is not here to berate you.

There are two main issues being discussed here:

1. Could the lines on St Nicholas forehead be scarifications, assuming the paintings have not been photoshopped?

2. If they are scarifications is possible they could be related to the scarifications found in Africa, or is that too much of a remote possibility?

The answers to the first one is that given what we have observed in our environment, scarifications are the most logical answer.

The answer to the second is that it is not impossible for people born in Africa, to have migrated and settled in Turkey and carried the practice there, or been scarified and sold in to slavery which seems to be the white disparagist preference. Note the term I prefer to use. Disparagist which is a word I have just invented unless someone else has already beaten me to it, and in this case means white people who like to assert that some achievement or artifact can't or couldn't be related to Bantu and Nilotic Africans because they are not genetically intelligent to accomplish some intellectual achievement nor possess the material resources to create some artifact.

But then I digress:

-

-

-

https://kwekudee-tripdownmemorylane.blogspot.com/2013/08/nuba-people-africas-ancient-people-of.html

-

Note the diamond shaped patterns on the last image which are the same as the one on St Nicholas's forehead.

More of these scarifications here - https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/59109813837719021/?autologin=true&lp=true

So unless anyone can come up with a better explanation then the markings are scarifications. Of course you can might consider St Nicholas a member of a spacefaring Klingon race who came to earth 2000 years ago, in which case I will throw in this meme for good measure.

-

As to the second part as to whether Africans from the Soudan could settle in Turkey, well if they are spacefaring aliens wouldn't it be a cinch to fly from Soudan to Turkey? I mean they could go to Africa on their lunch breaks couldn't they.

--------------------

Posts: 890 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by A Habsburg Agenda:

There are two main issues being discussed here:

1. Could the lines on St Nicholas forehead be scarifications, assuming the paintings have not been photoshopped?

2. If they are scarifications is possible they could be related to the scarifications found in Africa, or is that too much of a remote possibility?

The answers to the first one is that given what we have observed in our environment, scarifications are the most logical answer.

-
 -

I had this far fetched idea, maybe they are forehead wrinkles

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
^^^^ Can you give an example of furrowed brows which rise way up into the forehead in that manner and are diagonal?

Can you give an example of furrowed brows which create a kite shaped pattern with proper straight lines?

Can you give an example of a furrowed brow which creates a single diagonal on top of the head?

The simple thing is that we don't know what the marks meaning only that they are too odd looking to be the lines of a frown.

All we can assume is that the painters copied paintings without knowing what the lines signified and put their own interpretation or tried to rationalize them some how.

What we may know that they may not have known back then is that in Africa such lines are easily explained by scarifications.

Then back to you Lioness - you are the moderator of this forum. Why then is it that when people put in time and effort to bring new info and possibilities to the discussion you can only make silly disparaging responses which don't contribute anything to the debate and are simply a distraction?

If you felt the lines could be explained by frowns why didn't you do so from the very start of the thread rather wait until I presented some examples of scarifications which lend some support to the idea that they could be scarifications?

If you are truly a moderator then get the discussion going properly rather than always coming in with flippant non-sequiturs.

You give the impression of being a person hunched over your computer screen leering and gloating at so labelled Afrocentrics are making themselves look. Apparently you have nothing else to entertain yourself with. Pathetic really.

The same goes for you Black Crystal as I KNOW you can't keep your eyes of this thread.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
^^^^ Can you give an example of furrowed brows which rise way up into the forehead in that manner and are diagonal?

Can you give an example of furrowed brows which create a kite shaped pattern with proper straight lines?

the paintings are stylized

quote:

If you felt the lines could be explained by frowns why didn't you do so from the very start of the thread rather wait until I presented some examples of scarifications which lend some support to the idea that they could be scarifications?

Tukuler already said it in the second post. After that the thread starter abandoned the topic

quote:

Then back to you Lioness - you are the moderator of this forum. Why then is it that when people put in time and effort to bring new info and possibilities to the discussion you can only make silly disparaging responses which don't contribute anything to the debate and are simply a distraction?

what you are saying is false. The topic is dead. I did research on this showed very similar paintings.
Nobody is doing proper analysis of this and it's hard to take seriously something with a Klingon in it.

The first thing to note is when did St Nicholas live?

quote:

https://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/who-is-st-nicholas/

The true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara. At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey
Under the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who ruthlessly persecuted Christians, Bishop Nicholas suffered for his faith, was exiled and imprisoned. The prisons were so full of bishops, priests, and deacons, there was no room for the real criminals—murderers, thieves and robbers. After his release, Nicholas attended the Council of Nicaea in AD 325. He died December 6, AD 343 in Myra and was buried in his cathedral church, where a unique relic, called manna, formed in his grave. This liquid substance, said to have healing powers, fostered the growth of devotion to Nicholas. The anniversary of his death became a day of celebration, St. Nicholas Day, December 6th (December 19 on the Julian Calendar).

He died in 343 the earliest painting in this thread is 10th century. The others 16th century, Novgorod school
This means these icons are very far form the time period at which someone may have physically looked at him

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Considering DinkaNuer type cicatrices
Do amber and pale Nicky icons have 'em too?
What's getting deep is these lines on the cheek below the eyes.
 -
If these two sets of lines are African scars search for the ethny with both.

Dark St Nicholas, could one of his parents have been Sudani?
How do we conflate a Sudani customary tradition and a 'Byzantine' Eastern Orthodox bishop?

--------------------

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
Neither you nor Tukuler made an constructive suggestion in this post. If the OP felt that the drawings could be scarifications, the most sensible thing any thoughtful person would do would be to provide pictures of scarifications for proper comparisons to be made.

All Tukuler did was to say

Afreccentric/Blakcentric poppycock that Greek off-white St Nicholas was a forehead cicatriced African from where ever.

I sure hope a descendant of Middle Passage survivors, ashamed of Africa, and just wannabe a white European in blackface, didn't put that meme combining two fantasies together.

Do you call this constructive evidence that helps the argument? None of the paintings you Tukuler presented where anywhere near the OPs original photo.

This is the one you yourself presented

-

-

There is a clear diagonal right are the top of the forehead where they are no facial muscles to produce a frown. By the way, how does a single diagonal line way up the forward constitute a frown, as it takes a few lines to create a frown.

I mean what is your purpose at all? Instead of going out there to search for scarifications you did nothing of the kind, and yet you are the one claiming to be an expert and authority on African people, especially you and Tukuler. You really don't see how vapid and supercilious you both sound?

If Tukuler was so knowledgeable of Africa why didn't he get images of Africa and lay them side by side and see if that could be discarded?

You and Tukuler have nothing going for you in this debate except your racism and Tukuler's inferiority complex towards the Bantus and Nilotics who always turn out to be smarter than the Islamo/Berber groups he identifies and associates himself.

This must be really painful isn't, much like those European scholars whose inferiority complexes towards Africans lead them to make foolish comments for which they are eventually find out.

You both sound like Zawi Hawass in this debate with Graham Hancock, if it can be called a debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ziu2ygE_Wc

circa 0:10

In the academic world we do not do ad hominem arguments. We do not debate the man. We debate the matter

Needlessly to say, Egyptsearch is not the academic world!! Zawi Hawass would love to debate here. Can you invite him here one of these days?

Here is some more drama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4NnCAZcxHg

And here is some more opinions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBJz5YbFOs0

So can you lay the original picture Tyrannohotep used side by side with some images of African scarifications so proper comparisons can be made? If it turns out to be a photoshop job that ends his quest.

I think the one you posted provides strong evidence of scarification even it it is restricted to the single diagonal on his forehead, or at the very least an ordinary scar.

If you want to work harder you can lookup for scarifications among Nubians which are no the same as the Nubans I have displayed here, who also like to sport humongous scarifications (they are still Africans after all) if you believe that people who were long cotton robes rather than run around in the birthday suits can also sport scarifications.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Habs, Tyrannohotep is the one who raised the St Nicholas scarification theory so now that you have posted some people who actually have this scarification let's wait to see what he thinks.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
the meme with the Klingon seems to originate here November 23rd 2016, tweet
- unless someone can find an earlier one

"The great debate among patristic scholars: Was St Nicholas a Klingon?"

https://twitter.com/eorthodoxy/status/801588360116572160

by Fr Aidan Kimel on Eclectic Orthodoxy.

the man is a former priest and he has his email listed
https://afkimel.wordpress.com/about/

so if he created this meme he might have the icon source if one were to contact him

Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
So it was a Christian Orthodox white boy who created this hot mess LMFAO! And here we have again black men adopting white nonsense like Sovereign Citizenship and not knowing the origin of said nonsense.

--------------------
BC

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
No,

the man is a white former priest who has a blog Eclectic Orthodoxy.
If it was him who created this pairing of St Nicholas and the Klingon is was just done for humor.

Then we have the thread started by a non-black person. He was the one who raised the question could the forehead lies be scarification and could he be African.

The klingon has nothing to do with that theory it just happened to be attached to a poor quality reproduction of some 16th century icon of St Nicholas with said forehead lines

Tukuler
Member # 19944

@ Hapless Agenda quoting me out of context abusing my name

Guess what genius
Some branches of my people are cicatriced

Who but you didn't already know about scarification?
Who but you doesn't know the markings aren't arbitrary?

Regardless icon ages, the things to show are
• unity/similarlity of dark Nickys
• facial differences making Dark Nickys distinct from Amber or Pale Nickys
• an ethnic group with the exact forehead and subocular pattern

Another tip
Ain't no such thing as Klingons (except the ones around your anus oops Uranus)
I suggest Wet Ones for the sake of hygiene.

Now prove how asinine you can be via swift lip comeback else lighten up a little, sheesh.

This is no more than a lil piece of fun for me.
A sidetrack that doesn't advance African Studies in the least.
Although a hypothesis (sophisticated wild assed guess) could be in the making.

Rah rah for the buffoons who have nothing to say except Dey wuz BLAKK w/o the rest of the story.

Full context recap of my previous posts brimming over with "constructive suggestions"
quote:

Afreccentric/Blakcentric poppycock that Greek off-white St Nicholas was a forehead cicatriced African from where ever?

Here's a 16th c copy of a 12th century Russian icon of the brotha
 -

quote:
I think the guy did live, though I don't think too many 4th c 'Turks' were blacks.
Can't remember if Abyssinia was Xtian then so probably not a Byzantine nationalized Ethiopian.
Xtian lit makes a Meroe Kandake's official a convert.
Are there historical docs of Sudani Xtians?

There were aMazigh Xtians then though, like those 3 popes in my initial post.

http://www.basilicasannicola.it/
Icons of Nicky come in dark skin, amber skin and pale skin. (links)
Based onanalysis of bones attributed to him, I think he lived.
Whether a northern African or a NE Mediterranean man, those bones may hold the answer.

OP needs to give us full context of his meme.

[tL thoroughly researched and posted that info]

quote:
Considering DinkaNuer type cicatrices [posted by HA]
Do amber and pale Nicky icons have 'em too?
What's getting deep is these lines on the cheek below the eyes.
 -
[Photo research by tL]
If these two sets of lines [forehead & cheek] are African scars, search for the ethny with both.

Dark St Nicholas, could one of his parents have been Sudani?
How do we conflate a Sudani customary tradition and a 'Byzantine' Eastern Orthodox bishop?

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
None of the paintings you Tukuler presented where anywhere near the OPs original photo.

False. The very first one he posted in the second post is highly similar
A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
deleted

--------------------

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Black Crystal:
So it was a Christian Orthodox white boy who created this hot mess LMFAO! And here we have again black men adopting white nonsense like Sovereign Citizenship and not knowing the origin of said nonsense.

^^^^ This message was directed at Black Crystal so Lioness please put back what I wrote.

It is tiresome when people make repeated ad hominem without contributing anything to the discussion. If someone is going to make ad hominems they should at least contribute something concrete first.

quote:

And here we have again black men adopting white nonsense like Sovereign Citizenship and not knowing the origin of said nonsense.

What is the relevance of quotes like this to the discussion.

You think coming to Egyptsearch to talk sh*t makes you cool.

FWIW the black people you see in these photos are the very moors featured on the crests of your European noble families.

They are the moors who came to Europe to check the spread of the Mohammedan faith, they are not moors captured in the battles against the Saracens. They came to Europe to strengthen Europe against the Turks and the Muslim Moors from North Africa.

The only reason you are not chanting Allahu Akhbar and using terms like Bisimillah is because they saved your ancestors backsides from the Turks.

--------------------

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-

In all sincerity, as much as I'd like to pretend those are scarifications, I suspect they're really wrinkles on his brow to indicate old age. As for his dark skin, that would depend on whether the person here is really St. Nicholas. If it is, I suspect it could be little more discoloration by soot or something. If St. Nicholas ever was a real historical person, I doubt he would have been that dark if he was like most people living in Turkey during his time.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
Are you saying that the painting of St. Nicholas is authentic?

quote:
No,

the man is a white former priest who has a blog Eclectic Orthodoxy.
If it was him who created this pairing of St Nicholas and the Klingon is was just done for humor.

Then we have the thread started by a non-black person. He was the one who raised the question could the forehead lies be scarification and could he be African.

The klingon has nothing to do with that theory it just happened to be attached to a poor quality reproduction of some 16th century icon of St Nicholas with said forehead lines

--------------------
BC

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Hahaha
Soot that left the white of the eyes and the white collars untinged!
Rotflmbao

That's the same &#*@ European ethnocentrists say about the Black Madonna s.
 -
[Img research by AHA]

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=15;t=002408
quote:
Godfrey Higgins, Anacalypsis:

When circumstances have been named to the Romish
priests they have endeavored to disguise the fact
by pretending that the child had become black by
the smoke of the candles
; but it was black where
th smoke of the candle never came; and besides
how came the candles not to blacken the white
teeth and the shirt, and how came they to redden
the lips?

The Mother is, the author believes, always black
when the child is. Their real blackness is not to
be questioned for a moment.

As regards the statement that the color of the Black
Virgins is due to smoke of burning candles, it may
be said further that this does not account for the
Negroid faces of some of these Virgins, and also for
those paintings in which the Madonna is shown as
black and Negroid.

The Cardiff Museum has one such painting and there
is also one in the Chateau of Azay-le-Rideau. At
Sales (Cantal) a tapestry shows the figures of
the Holy Family black, save that of the Infant
Jesus. On a church window at L'Oise, a Virgin with
a black face is holding a rose colored Christ.

. . . .

... anything more striking than the fact of the
Black Virgin and Child being so common in the
Romish countries of Europe? A Black Virgin and
Child among the white Germans, Swiss, French,
and Italians!!

Higgins saw through his fellow Europeans' ethnocentrism and exposed it almost 2 centuries ago  -

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Virgin (Theotokos) and Child between Saints Theodore and George, sixth or early seventh century, encaustic on wood, 2' 3" x 1' 7 3/8" (St. Catherine's Monastery, Sinai, Egypt)

The oldest Byzantine icon of Mary, c. 600, encaustic, at Saint Catherine's Monastery, Sinai retains much of Greek realist style.

The icon shows the Virgin and Child flanked by two soldier saints, St. Theodore to the left and St. George at the right. Above these are two angels who gaze upward to the hand of God, from which light emanates, falling on the Virgin.

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
Hahaha
Soot that left the white of the eyes and the white collars untinged!
Rotflmbao

That's the same &#*@ European ethnocentrists say about the Black Madonna s.
 -
[Img research by AHA]

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=15;t=002408

The Black Madonna of Czestochowa (above)
Poland’s Most Revered Icon

The Black Madonna of Czestochowa
Poland’s Most Revered Icon

The painting itself has more mystery than history. Legend says St. Luke painted the image on the table top in the home of the Holy Family 2,000 years ago. The story is that the Emperor Constantine took it from Jerusalem to Constantinople (now Istanbul). Six hundred years later, the Russian Prince Lev was given the painting by a Turkish dignitary as a reward for his military triumphs, but it was seized during a war with the Poles and brought to Czestochowa in 1384..

Art scholars and historians disagree with the legend. They say the original painting was a Byzantine icon created around the Sixth or Ninth Century. They agree Prince Ladislaus of Opole brought it to the monastery in the 14th Century. But, the historians say, the painting now on display is not the Byzantine original.

In 1430, robbers ransacked the church. They broke the wooden boards that backed the painting and slashed the canvas. The Virgin’s face and neck were ripped

Attempts to repair the painting failed, blurring the original. About three years later, the image was wiped from the canvas and a similar image painted in its place.

What ethnicity do you think was intended to be depicted in this Madonna of Czestochowa?

Black Crystal
On permanent vacation
Member # 22903

Rate Member
None of the black Madonna look racially black. Hell, if people are relying on skin color, the only ones who could racially claim the Black Madonna are Hindus/Indo-Europeans. I laugh at blacks who love claiming people with dark skin, all the while ignoring the obvious straight, non-African, hair and unrelated African facial features. Smdh. There is a video from a black female vlogger who goes into what is considered "black." She is spot on with her assessment. The thrust of her argument is ---we all know what "Black" is when we see it.

--------------------
BC

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

-

In all sincerity, as much as I'd like to pretend those are scarifications, I suspect they're really wrinkles on his brow to indicate old age. As for his dark skin, that would depend on whether the person here is really St. Nicholas. If it is, I suspect it could be little more discoloration by soot or something. If St. Nicholas ever was a real historical person, I doubt he would have been that dark if he was like most people living in Turkey during his time.
@Tyrannohotep Do I have to lay into you as well?

You brought up the question of whether those patterns could be scarifications. Now if I may ask you a simple quesion - Can you go out there and find a picture of any person living or dead whose wrinkles match the characteristic patterns on the image you displayed?

Do that first before you say I suspect they're really wrinkles on his brow to indicate old age. You see we are not interested in what you suspect, we are interested in the evidence you can provide to substantiate those suspicions, just as a detective has to provide the observations that underpin their suspicions.

-

-

I went out there to provide scarifications whose angles are similar to the steep angles of the wrinkles on the forehead of St Nicholas. Please do us a favour and locate us photographs of people whose wrinkles match those of St Nicholas displayed displayed above the African woman. With a world population of over 7 billion today, surely there have to a few people whose wrinkles rise at that steep angle.

There also have to be people whose wrinkle patterns form a diagonal square above their eyebrows and form upward pointing ridges as in your original image, assuming it is not a photoshop job.

If you can't provide examples, then don't dismiss the alternative explanations provided.

Don't be a Zawi Hawass.

--------------------

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
@ Hapless Agenda quoting me out of context abusing my name

Guess what genius
Some branches of my people are cicatriced

Who but you didn't already know about scarification?
Who but you doesn't know the markings aren't arbitrary?
<snipped>

If some branches of your people are cicatriced, do us a favour and show us a few photos of your cicatriced people. At least we will know that you have pride in the culture of your people, and a 100 years from now if this forum exists, people will say here is a photo of Tukuler's people as they lived in the 1900s and the 2000s.

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
??? Poor little mixed up confused young man thinks schoolyard taunting can manipulate me into doing what a simple a polite request would've attained SMH

@ large
Some presume copies or rededicated Isis (Mary) and Horus (Jesus).
Virgin and Child are of the artists' imagined or local Judaeans (Jews).
Legend has it St Luke crafted the 1st and black Madonna and Baby God the Son icon.
The phenotype should be a NE Afr one, including Levant.
The Roman idea of Judaean ancestry has been posted like tera times here.

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Polish woman ain't know her Lord and Savior from n... [America's blacks] out on the street.
But then ya know the other whites say about Poles.

[quote][/quote]

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
the meme with the Klingon seems to originate here November 23rd 2016, tweet
- unless someone can find an earlier one

"The great debate among patristic scholars: Was St Nicholas a Klingon?"

https://twitter.com/eorthodoxy/status/801588360116572160

by Fr Aidan Kimel on Eclectic Orthodoxy.

the man is a former priest and he has his email listed
https://afkimel.wordpress.com/about/

so if he created this meme he might have the icon source if one were to contact him

I've done some further research and if the above
Aidan Kimel created the meme with the Klingon he may not know it's attribution and may have gotten the St Nicholas icon from Medievalpoc's People of Color in European Art History site

http://medievalpoc.tumblr.com/post/56081827117/various-artists-saint-nicholas-nikolaus-bishop

-

Unfortunately the references at the bottom of the page refer to other individual illustrations on the page not the above montage posted 5 years ago

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
quote:
None of the black Madonna look racially black. Hell, if people are relying on skin color, the only ones who could racially claim the Black Madonna are Hindus/Indo-Europeans. I laugh at blacks who love claiming people with dark skin, all the while ignoring the obvious straight, non-African, hair and unrelated African facial features. Smdh. There is a video from a black female vlogger who goes into what is considered "black." She is spot on with her assessment. The thrust of her argument is ---we all know what "Black" is when we see it.

Lioness - this is the kind of behaviour I have mentioned earlier. Black Crystal repeatedly makes meaningless comments without presenting any information relevant to the comment. And so does the make believe new member SaxonQueen who claims to be Celtic Warrioress. If the same people keep making the same meaningless and irrelevant interjections without any relevant information or reasoning to substantiate their claims why don't you just ban them?

Consider this kind of nonsense:

quote:
Smdh. There is a video from a black female vlogger who goes into what is considered "black." She is spot on with her assessment. The thrust of her argument is ---we all know what "Black" is when we see it.

Who is this black female vlogger? Where is the link to the relevant video?

Not all of us have the time to read such meaningless posts, let alone take the time to respond to them. I am not Mike who had the time and inclination to challenge and respond to this nonsense and neither are many of the other followers of this forum.

It is annoying and it takes up bandwidth and it is a waste of time. You see that a thread you are following has been updated, and when you click on it all you see is nonsensical comments by Black Crystal and other time wasters. If the forum software has the ability to display the last responder to a thread then enable it so users don't have to follow up a thread only to be presented with another irrelevant comment from some idioit about some flaws of Blacks, or Africans.

You are actually degrading the quality of this forum if you allow this silly behaviour to continue. Not everyone has time for this.

--------------------

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
The Sicilian by Mario Puzo is a continuation of the The Godfather novel which features Michael's stay in Sicily and includes a fictionalized version of some actual events in Sicily and some sociological information.

One of the items mentioned is the Black Madonna, and a statue of her given to Michael as a gift. What is noted is that the Madonna was Negroid, and it was mentioned in another part of the book, or another book in the series that it was one of the genuine ones unlike the usual ones some monastery made for the general public, tourists or whoever.

-

Google Books link - http://bit.ly/2UoHXF0

--------------------

A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
For those with interested in the mystical aspects of the Black Madonna, rather than her putative racial origins, this is a link to some thoughts on one of her variations, Our Lady of Guadalupe at Tepeyac, Mexico City, and some background info about her predecessor at Extremadura in Spain

WARNING: This is to those members and viewers who have a disparaging and disrespectful attitude to matters spiritual and matters African. You are warned not to follow the links. Of course, knowing your dispositions this warning will only lead you to follow them.

Whatever the outcome, you cannot say you were not warned.

The Yonis That Saved Christendom

-

The Yonis That Saved Christendom

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com