EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Tensions after the re-unification of Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tensions after the re-unification of Egypt
Orson
Member # 23181

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Orson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,
I am making a video game set in Ancient Egypt and I've just encountered a roadblock that I hope you could help me with.

Some background: the game is set in the Second Intermediate Period, around 1550 BCE, and it is up to the player to unite Lower and Upper Egypt.

In the game, I decided to include some tensions born out of this unification. Would I be stretching it too far if I claimed that Lower Egyptians are hesitant to accept the rule of Upper Egypt because of the Nubians that had been ingrained into their society?

My thought process is that Nubians started to immigrate into Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period, already after the Canaanite kings had taken reins of Lower Egypt, so the Lower Egyptians might have never experienced what it was like to live with Nubians (which seems to be backed up by this article http://www.numibia.net/nubia/c-group2.htm). On the other side, they've lived with Asiatics, so they might be even more accepting of foreigners. What do you think?

There's also the pitfall of limited information about the movement of the people during the Second Intermediate Period. I see 2 options,
a) Egyptians kept trading and mixing even if their kings were in disagreement (which is evidenced by their graves having been found as far north as Saqqara)
b) Lower Egyptians and Upper Egyptians were not in that much of a contact, so they weren't used to seeing Nubians

Basically, if it's not for the Nubians, I don't know what else could have been the source of the tensions.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Developer of the interactive fiction/strategy video game Egypt: Shattered Order, where the player takes the reins and rewrites the history of the most powerful kingdom of its time.

Posts: 3 | From: Antarctica | Registered: Feb 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson:
which seems to be backed up by this article " target="_blank">http://www.numibia.net/nubia/c-group2.htm).[/QUOTE]

that doesn't go direct, it has to be typef in the search after going to the above link >

The C-Group culture and the Pan Grave culture
James Mika / March 9, 2018 / Education

Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson
Member # 23181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
which seems to be backed up by this article " target="_blank">http://www.numibia.net/nubia/c-group2.htm).

that doesn't go direct, it has to be typef in the search after going to the above link >

[/QUOTE]

fixed, thanks

--------------------
Developer of the interactive fiction/strategy video game Egypt: Shattered Order, where the player takes the reins and rewrites the history of the most powerful kingdom of its time.

Posts: 3 | From: Antarctica | Registered: Feb 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB] Hello everyone,
I am making a video game set in Ancient Egypt and I've just encountered a roadblock that I hope you could help me with.

Some background: the game is set in the Second Intermediate Period, around 1550 BCE, and it is up to the player to unite Lower and Upper Egypt.

In the game, I decided to include some tensions born out of this unification. Would I be stretching it too far if I claimed that Lower Egyptians are hesitant to accept the rule of Upper Egypt because of the Nubians that had been ingrained into their society?

My thought process is that Nubians started to immigrate into Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period, already after the Canaanite kings had taken reins of Lower Egypt, so the Lower Egyptians might have never experienced what it was like to live with Nubians (which seems to be backed up by this article http://www.numibia.net/nubia/c-group2.htm ).

Race didn't really exist the way it does today. Asiatics had been immigrating into Egypt many centuries prior and were intermarrying in Egypt. Lower Egyptians, who had relatively more exposure, mixed more and embraced them more. Their children that assumed Egyptian culture were typically regarded as Egyptian. In time they integrated society and into Egyptian nobility. Eventually some Asiatics wanted to have direct political control equivalent to a pharaoh and they took the Delta. Native Egyptians that didn't like the presence of Asiatics or their rule then rebelled. They felt them to be invaders.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
which seems to be backed up by this article ]http://www.numibia.net/nubia/c-group2.htm).

fixed, thanks
ok at the site I see two articles

1)

James Mika / March 9, 2018

2)
The Pan Grave Culture
James Mika / March 9, 2018 / Blog

So you are referring to the 2nd one then

Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Basically, if it's not for the Nubians, I don't know what else could have been the source of the tensions.

Maybe whomever had been in control of Lower Egypt before the reunification was resentful of losing to the Upper Egyptians? It could be something as simple as a hunger for power on the Lower Egyptians' part.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7092 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson
Member # 23181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

So you are referring to the 2nd one then [/QB]

yes

quote:
Originally posted by One Third African:
Maybe whomever had been in control of Lower Egypt before the reunification was resentful of losing to the Upper Egyptians? It could be something as simple as a hunger for power on the Lower Egyptians' part.

According to historical evidence, they all left to Canaan. There were no foreign rulers in Lower Egypt anymore to be resentful.

--------------------

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My question is would they really have a choice? First off the Upper Egyptians were the victors and their sole goal was to unite the two Lands of Kemet.

I mean is the main character a sort of diplomat or on a diplomatic sort of mission?

The only problem I have with this is "Nubian" presence and admixture in Egypt began with the dawn of dynastic Egypt, when Ta-Seti was conquered and incorporated as the 1st nome of Egypt, and where the Ta-Setians still retain a sort of royal aristocracy far into the New Kingdom.

Also, some Lower Egyptians, preferred the Rule of the Hyksos over the Thebian Km.t Sutens, it could be they had a stake in the Avaris aristocracy. It would'nt be a stretch for the average Egyptian in Lower Egypt to be wary of a militant Theban Army marching on and changing the lifestyle they were used to.

Then again if you want to go on the Xenophobic route, you could play up the "prophesy of Neferti" where the kings of the 12th dynasty tried to legitmatize their partial Neheshy ancestry from an Elephantine woman as being fully legit.

http://www.archaeologicalresource.com/Books_and_Articles/Literature/pPetersburg1116B_Neferti.html?i=1

We discussed this somewhat here
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007406

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello everyone,

My thought process is that Nubians started to immigrate into Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period, already after the Canaanite kings had taken reins of Lower Egypt, so the Lower Egyptians might have never experienced what it was like to live with Nubians (which seems to be backed up by this article http://www.numibia.net/nubia/c-group2.htm ). On the other side, they've lived with Asiatics, so they might be even more accepting of foreigners. What do you think?

There's also the pitfall of limited information about the movement of the people during the Second Intermediate Period. I see 2 options,
a) Egyptians kept trading and mixing even if their kings were in disagreement (which is evidenced by their graves having been found as far north as Saqqara)
b) Lower Egyptians and Upper Egyptians were not in that much of a contact, so they weren't used to seeing Nubians

Thanks in advance!

For the right ethnography and phenotypes, this will be helpful.

quote:
 -
tb_009

"Each of the opponents is represented with his arms bound behind his back; the body has the shape of an notched oval containing the name of the region or the city from which each originates. The faces are marked in a very characturalistic way see tb_009.

These conquered or subdued countries (or parts of Egypt) are, from right to left: the Hau-Nebus (Aegean isles and others of the Mediterranean sea, see sb_5157) ; the Shatyu (Upper Nubia) ; Ta-shema (Upper Egypt see rb_0103) ; the Sheshtyu-im (inhabitants of the Oases) ; Ta-Mehu (Lower Egypt see sb_5153) ; the Peityu-shu (Desert of the East see rb_0104) ; the Tjehenu (Libyans) ; the Iuntyu-sety (Nubians); the Menttyunu-sedjet (Beduins of Asia).

Thus, placed under Pharaoh's sandals, they are eternally in a state of submissiveness and dependence. The platform has preserved its beautiful yellow colour, which also extends on to the front slope, intended to make the design of the whole platform equate to the hieroglyphic sign for "Ma'at" (see cd_170)."

https://osirisnet.net/tombes/nobles/kheru/e_kherouef_04.htm
Posts: 22244 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^Interesting that Egyptians were also classified as enemies to the throne of the Suten, in other words various native rebels existed that would try to de-stabilize the authority of the Suten, and introduce chaos in the Ta-merry.
Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
^^^^Interesting that Egyptians were also classified as enemies to the throne of the Suten, in other words various native rebels existed that would try to de-stabilize the authority of the Suten, and introduce chaos in the Ta-merry.

This is how they dealt with colonies, from a colonial mindset.
Posts: 22244 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com