EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Mena7 Art Gallery and Art Reviews

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mena7 Art Gallery and Art Reviews
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mena7: On this page I am going to talk about art and artists and post images of paintings and sculptures. art is an important part of history because we know how the ancient kings, queens, philosophers, generals, historians, scholars, and regular people look like because of their statues and paintings.

I have to acknowledge that there is racism in art and history because thousands of statues and paintings of Black monarchs and elite have been destroyed and replaced by the statue of white people.

Mena7: Harmonia Rosales is a light skin Black painter of Cuban origin from Chicago that paints dark skin Black people very well. Usually, light skin Black people from the Caribbean and Latin America think they are superior to dark skin Black people so I didn't expect Harmonia to paint dark skin Black people beautifully.

-
Painter Harmonia Rosales

-

-

-

https://www.designindaba.com/articles/creative-work/harmonia-rosales-creating-new-narratives-around-classic-art-paintings

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She paints beautifully but I think these paintings are racial gimmicks that I have seen many times before, that is take European art and do a black version. So it is still Eurocentric in a way
Posts: 42935 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All Christian peoples have rendered icons in their own image.
Never seen a family Bible with the portrayed looking Levantine.

This

-

whatever its a copy of, if its not an original, is the Cat's Pajamas.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The dark skinned females in many of her paintings
are not in her own image, nor are they meant to represent Levantines.

The top two paintings are based on Botticelli's The Birth of Venus, Roman mythology based and
the other painting 'Primavera" based on Greek mythology not attempts to depict real history.
All painting shown so far depicting pre-Christianity mythology

-

Posts: 42935 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wha... ? ? ?
Real History? That's Mike111 right?
Who with a highschool education doesn't recognize
Botticelli's famous Venus or whats his names Adam
and anthropomorphic god the father? You do know
ol' MikeAngel had relatives model for his biblical
art right? Yet many blk ppl swear his depictions in
'his' own Italian image is what Jesus Mary and them
actually looked like.

Of course the art is in her image, not her likeness.

What you expect? Every figure to look
precisely like her. It's very fine a blk
of her phenotype recognize blk phenotype
derided even by other blx having that phenotype.

Who can't plain as day see the artist's no Levantine
so what you gum flappin at me for? To make ppl think
something crazy behind what I wrote? No one interprets
for me. Not Djehuti, not you. Just ask me.

So what gives? You want your pajamas back I guess??

Again, all Xian ppls produce icons in their image.
Proof? Pick up an illustrated Bible. No one in it
looks Levantine.

The only exception to that rule coming to mind
are the Poles and descendants of the HellAcross
survivors. Many blx think anything but Nordic
Jesus in the church or home is sacrilege, but ya
gotta be spending time in Blk Xian homes to know
that on the ground reality. This isn't reality
but check it anyway

- (link to episode)

Wanna see a bunch of Jesuses in his world
wide believers images. Go watch American
Gods final episode season one where Easter
has a party for Jesus. Listen to Odin
explain why there're so many Jesuses.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7z4gby 26:37-37:53 & 41:55-44:42

Think it was Cleage's Shrine of the Black Madonna
that first went serious with African imagea of
Bible characters unveiling the Madonna and Child
in his image, that of a blk no matter plexion
hi hi hi no matter plexion lo lo lo no matter
plexion in between, all still blk from Africa
melded into a brand spanking new ethnic group
the Cullud Nigra tribe [Wink] indigenous to the US of A.

-  -

Imam Isa was big on African imagery in religious art
despite sharia. He had portraits of all major characters
even from Midrash and whatever the Muslim version is called.
However many of the males were in 'his' likeness not just his image.

See Maimonides Guide for the Perplexed for
`Am Yisrael's meanings of image and likeness.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tehutimes
Member # 21712

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tehutimes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Mena7 That's quite a broad brush stroke to say all pale complexioned latinas y latinos snub darker complexioned los negras y las negras in Caribbean/South American lands.
On a site that purports to look at phenotypes several Dominicanos said a lite shaded African American wa too lite skinned to be taken for a Dominican Republican woman! She's the complexion of the Afro Cubana artist haha. Whites continue to obfuscate our minds while some of us aid & abet their vile agendas.

--------------------
Tehutimes

Posts: 115 | From: north america | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

From thread
Catholic Europe biggest Afronuts for Black Jesus and Mary

links that make a One Stop Shop for ALL the Black Madonnas

https://udayton.edu/imri/mary/b/black-madonnas-in-various-countries.php

http://interfaithmary.net/search?q=black%20madonna

Just don't goto that last one directly from ES
copy the url go to a non-ES pg and paste it.
Some sites block ES not caring about backlink stats.

--------------------

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.designindaba.com/articles/creative-work/harmonia-rosales-creating-new-narratives-around-classic-art-paintings

armonia Rosales is creating new narratives around the classic art paintings
"By creating positive works of art using black women we can begin to deconstruct our power structure."

When Afro-Cuban artist Harmonia Rosales re-imagined Michelangelo’s Creation of Adam as the Creation of God and painted both God and the first ‘Man’ as black women, it left the world shaking in its Eurocentric narratives.

Michelangelo wasn’t the only classical artist whose work was re-imagined by the hands of Rosales. The artist tackled Leonardo Da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man and re-imagined it as the Virtuous Woman as well as Sandro Botticelli’s Birth of Venus re-imagined as the Birth of Oshun, the Yoruba river deity.

In an interview with Dazed, Rosales explains the reasoning behind her re-creations of these classical renaissance paintings: “I wanted to take a significant painting, a widely recognised painting that subconsciously or consciously conditions us to see white male figures as powerful and authoritative and flip the script, establish a counter-narrative.”

She argues that when one looks at classical art, the white figure is dominant throughout the various eras of the medium. The world imagined by these classical artists only comprised of pale, male bodies. This is a trend Rosales was not willing to continue. “When you consider that all human life came out of Africa, the Garden of Eden and all, then it only makes sense to paint God as a black woman, sparking life in her own image,” says Rosales.

While some praised the Afro-Cuban artist for her bold interpretations, many slammed her art, calling it “disgusting”, “disrespectful” and a “desecration of a masterpiece”. The backlash, while deterring her just for a moment, encouraged her to keep going, to keep engaging in these kinds of conversations.

“It’s inspiring because whether the comments are negative or positive it creates dialogue and provokes thought. I learn from the comments. We are all still learning who we are and how we define ourselves,” says Rosales.

Re-creating narratives with people of colour at the forefront stems from attitudes towards her own race while growing up. Being Afro-Cuban and having a lighter skin tone led to many people questioning her race. She therefore paints the subjects in her art a lot darker so that it leaves no room for people to question where they are from.

Her work focuses on many classical stories, narratives and mythologies. Her new exhibit, titled New World Consciousness, looks at the duality between the Virgin Mary and Eve. “By making The Virgin Mary and Eve one woman...[I] explore how this one woman represents all of us because we all are perfectly imperfect. By presenting Eve in the same light as we give The Virgin Mary, we begin to accept Eve and her non-conformity as we relate to her through our own journeys of life,” says Rosales.

She adds that her new show is an extension of the narrative and message that she has been trying to spread and to get people to engage with. The work that she creates is rooted in the question of “Why have we allowed a continuously manipulated society dictate who is superior in beauty and power?"

“By creating positive works of art using black women, the complete opposite from which we were used to seeing, we can begin to deconstruct our power structure," says Rosales.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
 -
Jean Michel Basquiat is the most valuable African American artist, his paintings are the most expensive painting sold in auction houses. Jean Michel Basquiat father was Haitian and his mother was Puerto Rican. Unfortunately, Jean Michel Basquiat died of a drug overdose when he was 27 years old. He died too soon.

I am more a lover of realist painting in the style of Harmonia Rosales but I respect Basquiat shapes style.

-
This 1982 artwork by Jean-Michel Basquiat sold for a record $110.5 million at auction in New York

-
The piece, which was purchased by noted Japanese collector and entrepreneur Yusaku Maezawa (above) after a 10-minute bidding war, set an auction record for American artists

-
Basquiat died of a drug overdose in 1988 at age 27. The recent sale of his work set an auction record for American artists

-
The piece had remained in the private collection of renowned New York art collectors Jerry and Emily Spiegel (above) since they bought it at auction in 1984 for just $19,000. The couple died in 2009 and passed their collection on to their two daughters

-

A Jean-Michel Basquiat Painting Just Sold for $100 Million

The coronavirus pandemic may have halted what would normally be a bustling art auction season, but one recent sale proves that––no matter the circumstances––Jean-Michel Basquiat’s work is among the hottest on the market.

The late American artist’s 1982 painting entitled Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump was sold to billionaire Ken Griffin, a hedge fund manager and CEO of the investment firm Citadel, for the staggering price of $100 million. The work was formerly one of the most prized in the collection of newsprint magnate Peter Brant, one of Basquiat’s major collectors. News of the purchase was first reported by art industry newsletter Baer Faxt, however, that publication did not release the name of the painting or how it learned of the sale.

he painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat entitled Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump was sold to billionaire Ken Griffin, a hedge fund manager and CEO of the investment firm Citadel, for the staggering price of over $100 million.

The work was formerly one of the most prized in the collection of newsprint magnate Peter Brant, one of Basquiat's major collectors.

The exact price of the canvas has not been revealed, but the $100 million-plus range puts it close to Basquiat's record auction price of $110.4 million, achieved in 2017 when Yusaku Maezawa purchased Untitled (1982) at a Sotheby's sale in New York, shattering the record for most expensive work by an American artist, then held by Andy

https://robbreport.com/lifestyle/news/jean-michel-basquiat-painting-sold-100-million-2926155/

https://maddoxgallery.com/news/76-basquiat-painting-sells-for-100-million/

--------------------
mena

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com