EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Looking for a Moor quote

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for a Moor quote
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All,

I'm looking for a quote regarding an encounter a man had with a moor. In the quote he described his relief that the moor he had met wasn't Black as he had heard Moors were. For the life of me I cannot find that quote despite searching through the forum. Would anyone by chance be familiar with the quote I'm referring to?

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post 
this ? :

quote:
"Ah! here are real Moors! "says the squire to his master in Alexandre Dumas' Bastard of Mauléon: "See how black they are, Jesus! Black, miscreants, hideous and demonic, so lived the Moors in the European imagination for centuries. Also the European traveler who disembarked in Barbary, imbued with these representations, was surprised at the sight of this race so reviled. They are not naturally black," writes Abbot Poiret, "despite the proverb and as many writers think, but they are born white and remain white all their lives when their work does not expose them to the heat of the sun. "It is true, he adds, that there is no shortage of blacks among them, but they come from other regions and are slaves of the Moors.
M. Ennaji, Soldats, domestiques et concubines : l'esclavage au Maroc au XIXe siècle, Editions EDDIF, 1994, pp. 15
Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^That's the exact one Antalas, thank you.

Edit:

Would anyone happen to have this entire article or access to it?

Edit2: Nevermind I found the book(in French), and a related one, Barbary and Enlightenment(in English). The statements proof of why context is important. [Smile]

According to Barbary and the Enlightenment, it seems Poiret used the word Moor interchangeably and not always consistently with Arab,and separates Moors from Berbers. I'll need to track down the whole book to see the rest of Thomson's argument.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Why are you stalking my social media?
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found it here, but in french

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k3324049b/f22.item

Posts: 2519 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Thanks Tazarah. Going to close the thread now since my query has been answered.

--------------------
 -

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com