EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Research team finds Indian ancestry among Southeast Asians

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Research team finds Indian ancestry among Southeast Asians
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was trying to find on this forum any recent talk about the recent dna studies below.I was doing recent research on civilizations in east asia and southeast asia.

Research team finds Indian ancestry among Southeast Asians

Our results suggest that people arrived in multiple waves and intermarried in local populations: Biologist

quote:

People from India migrated into mainland Southeast Asia in multiple waves over several centuries, intermingled with local populations, and helped establish Indian cultural elements across the region, a new genetic study released on Thursday has suggested.

An international research team has found that various populations across Cambodia, Myanmar, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam have 2 per cent to 16 per cent South Asian genetic components, implying ancient Indian ancestral ingress into those populations.

South Asian genetic components refer to ancestral populations from the Indian subcontinent.

The study has also pointed to Bengalis as “the most prominent ancestry source” for the Southeast Asian populations, although scientists caution that this observation might be an “artefact” because Bengalis themselves have detectable east Asian ancestry.

quote:

The new study has generated strong genetic evidence to suggest that Indian influence in the region was the outcome of multiple migratory waves of people from the Indian subcontinent between 400 AD and 1600 AD into Southeast Asia. The findings were published in the research journal PLOS Genetics.

“Our results suggest that people arrived in multiple waves and intermarried in local Southeast Asian populations,” Piya Changmai, a biologist and scholar at the University of Ostrava, the Czech Republic, and the study’s lead author told The Telegraph.

The wide range of the genetic admixture period, Changmai said, reflects different admixture dates for various southeast Asian populations. But the most likely admixture dates range roughly between 500 and 1,000 years ago. That may have been the period when most of the migrations took place, he said.

The scientists have detected signatures of South Asian ancestry in the Khmer populations in Cambodia and Thailand, in the Burmese, Cham, Ede, Giarai, Kuy, Malay, Mon and Nyahkur populations across the southeast Asian region.

The study has identified eight Indian subcontinental population groups — Adi Dravider, Bengali, Bhumihar, Coorghi, Dhobi, Gujarati, Jew Cochin, Karnataka Scheduled Caste — each of which have contributed more than one per cent to the ancestry of the southeast Asians.

To read more go here.
https://www.telegraphindia.com/india/international-research-team-finds-indian-ancestry-among-southeast-asians/cid/1852639

https://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1010036

Posts: 2566 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic was discussed before.
Posts: 26306 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.
I took a quick look and will read more of talk later inside that link above you posted.
I was going post a map of the average dna of certian southeast asians and south asians but i saw one inside the link above.
Here is another one as well or a more easier to see/understand one.

Peopling of Southeast Asia

-

Estimated ancestry components among selected modern populations per Changmai et al (2022). The yellow component represents East Asian-like ancestry.
Source wikipedia.

Posts: 2566 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
By the way i now remember looking inside that thread awhile ago.
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Here is another map.
I think this is first time seeing it.

It also shows the average asian dna/admixture in certain european groups below.

Han Chinese
Genetics

-

Estimated ancestry components among modern Eurasian populations. The red components represent the distinctive genetic markers characteristic of people of East Asian ancestry.
Source wikipedia

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Siberian or 'North Asian' influence on both Europeans as well as East Asians should not be surprising anymore than South Asian influence on Southwest Asians and Southeast Asians.

In regards to the South Asian influence, I've posted elsewhere on the uniparental lineages.

paternal F-M89
 -

and J-M304

-

maternal M
 -

and R

-

Posts: 26306 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com