EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Kemet » Another Kilwa coin found in Australia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Kilwa coin found in Australia
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprised no one jumped on this.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-10/suspected-kilwa-coin-discovered-off-arnhem-land-coast/9959250

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tehutimes
Member # 21712

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tehutimes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen articles on Ancient Khemetic Medunetchers or heiroglyphs painted on hillsides in Australia so coins from medevial Kilwa,Tanzania shouldn't be startling news.

--------------------
Tehutimes

Posts: 115 | From: north america | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tehutimes:
I've seen articles on Ancient Khemetic Medunetchers or heiroglyphs painted on hillsides in Australia so coins from medevial Kilwa,Tanzania shouldn't be startling news.

Ancient Egyptians doing a lot mor exploration than we credit them for will always be an appetizing prospect, but those "glyphs" may not be the evidence you're looking for.

[url=https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-14/glyphs-reax/4428134]Egyptologist debunks new claims about 'Gosford glyphs'[url]
quote:
An Egyptologist from Sydney's Macquarie University has rejected any new claims about one of the most mysterious and controversial sites on the New South Wales Central Coast, known as the 'Gosford Hieroglyphs'.

The glyphs site at Kariong features almost 300 engravings on two sandstone walls, which some believe are an example of an early form of Egyptian writing and have drawn widespread interest over the years.

They have long been dismissed as fakes by authorities and academics since their discovery in the 1970s but there are still ongoing attempts to prove the theory they were carved by the ancient Egyptians.

The National Parks and Wildlife Service maintains the engravings are not authentic, as does Associate Professor Boyo Ockinga from Macquarie University's Ancient History Department, who is currently on an archaeological dig in Luxor, Egypt.

Professor Ockinga says as much as he would like the glyphs to be genuine, there is no doubt they are fake.

Not to mention that New South Wales would be an inconvenient location for Egyptian colonists to settle. The northern coast would have been much more accessible.
 -

That aside, it does seem quite weird to me that historiographic accounts always portray Australia as so isolated from the rest of the Old World between its initial colonization and the 18th century European "discoveries". I recall reports of minor Indian ancestry being found in some Aboriginal populations, which might explain how they got dingos, but that's about it.

We know that ancient Austronesian sailors from Southeast Asia (including the ancestors of Polynesians) were able to cross the Wallace Line and settle along the coast of New Guinea and some Melanesian islands, and smidgens of their ancestry might have diffused across the Torres Strait into northeastern Australia as well. But why don't we see more evidence of extensive contact between Aboriginal Australian and other Old World cultures, given that Australia is located so close to Southeast Asia? If the Polynesians could cross the entire breadth of the Pacific in outrigger canoes, you'd think the Malays, Chinese, Arabs, or other seafaring Asian civilizations could make it across the Timor or Arafura for trade. For that matter, Aboriginal Australians themselves would have to be descended from seafarers rowing across the Wallace from Asia, so it's not like they were unfamiliar with aquatic travel either.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7103 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Australia is big and I'm not sure of the population density and the concentration of the Australian Aborigines to access why they don't have as much influence in the Pacific if they are the oldest group in that region.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com