EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Kemet » Google Photos Tags blacks As Gorillas Through Facial Recognition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Google Photos Tags blacks As Gorillas Through Facial Recognition
Lanoforge
On Vacation
Member # 23087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lanoforge         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to understand how the software would make this kind of mistake.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mzhang/2015/07/01/google-photos-tags-two-african-americans-as-gorillas-through-facial-recognition-software/#1733feb0713d

Posts: 59 | From: Queens NYC | Registered: Jul 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Passive aggressive trolling
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:

-

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lanoforge:
Greetings,

I am doing research on population IQ and came across this study. This is my first post. What do you think about this study?

Genetic Influences on the Overlap Between Low IQ and Antisocial Behavior in Young Children

quote:

Google Photos Tags Two African-Americans As Gorillas Through Facial Recognition Software

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

- [/QB]

quote:
one of the two cops looks like me !! He's like a heavier version of my doppelganger.

oh really
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanoforge
On Vacation
Member # 23087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lanoforge         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:

Posting a news article is trolling??? [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 59 | From: Queens NYC | Registered: Jul 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanoforge
On Vacation
Member # 23087

Rate Member
Do you think it's me? [Cool]

quote:
quote:
Greetings,

I am doing research on population IQ and came across this study. This is my first post. What do you think about this study?

Genetic Influences on the Overlap Between Low IQ and Antisocial Behavior in Young Children

quote:

Google Photos Tags Two African-Americans As Gorillas Through Facial Recognition Software

quote:

-

quote:
one of the two cops looks like me !! He's like a heavier version of my doppelganger.

oh really [/QB]

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mzhang/2015/07/01/google-photos-tags-two-african-americans-as-gorillas-through-facial-recognition-software/#1733feb0713d

1) Software is made by humans. Even self-adaptive-software was eventually made by a human or humans at one point in time.

2) It's through the mindset of the person or persons who wrote the algorithm. It's that simple. This can be either object or subjective racism. Also know as explained and implicit bias.

So eventually it's a human error that implemented the bias in the AI (Artificial Intelligence).

We all have implicit biases. So what can we do about it? | Dushaw Hockett | TEDxMidAtlanticSalon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKHSJHkPeLY

Can we protect AI from our biases? | Robin Hauser | TED Institute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_tx4ngVT0

How I'm fighting bias in algorithms | Joy Buolamwini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG_X_7g63rY

Tech Bias and Algorithmic discrimination | Courtney Thomas Jr. | TEDxRochester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XaLNfExgM

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Habsburg Agenda
Member # 21824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Habsburg Agenda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This stuff is old hat. If you want some insight here is a start.

This is Jeff Dean, one of Google's chief technologists

-

Google Tech Talk with Jeff Dean at Campus Seoul

-

The description suggested to the system (by the human) was : A young girl asleep on the sofa cuddling a stuffed bear. The description should be A young white girl asleep on the sofa cuddling a stuffed bear.

The problem is AI's are trained with white images most of the time, and to be honest those AI's are not intelligent as is understood by humans.

-
Google is 'colorist' and it's your fault Jeff! - Isabelle

-
Google is 'colorist' and it's your fault Jeff!! - Mahubo

-
Google image search says this is a girl, if you adjust the size it will say a child, come back a few weeks later it will tell you something else

-
Google is 'colorist' and it's your fault Jeff! - Hodan

You can try putting these images through Google Image Search or Bing and adjusting the sizes, changing the browsers, the locations and the countries and see the kind of recognitions these engines comes up with.

--------------------
The Habsburg Agenda - Defending Western Christian civilization

Posts: 890 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com