EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Kemet » American Africanisms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Africanisms
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know that the word "BERBAQUE" is from the Hausa word "BABBAKE"?
Hausa people use the term “babbake” to mean singeing, grilling, toasting, or cooking food over an open fire. Historically, Hausa-speaking slaves took the word with them, from West Africa to America.

-

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
barbecue (n.)
1690s, "framework for grilling meat, fish, etc.," from American Spanish barbacoa, from Arawakan (Haiti) barbakoa "framework of sticks set upon posts," the raised wooden structure the West Indians used to either sleep on or cure meat.

Barbacoa is a form of cooking meat that originated in the Caribbean with the Taíno people, who called it by the Arawak word barbaca, from which the term "barbacoa" derives, and ultimately, the word 'barbecue"

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the word barbecue also has roots in West Africa among the Hausa, who used the term “babbake” to describe a complex of words referring to grilling, toasting, building a large fire, singeing hair or feathers and cooking food over a long period of time over an extravagant fire.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/04/barbecue-american-tradition-enslaved-africans-native-americans

https://afroculinaria.com/2012/07/14/the-colonial-roots-of-southern-barbecue-re-creating-the-birth-of-an-american-culinary-staple/

In West Africa, suya cooking is practiced by the Hausa, Fulani and their neighbors in the savanna and Sahel, utilizing a spice rub that is liberally applied to brochettes of meat roasted over flames

--------------------

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thanks for the info,I never knew this.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yatunde Lisa Bey:
And the word barbecue also has roots in West Africa among the Hausa, who used the term “babbake” to describe a complex of words referring to grilling, toasting, building a large fire, singeing hair or feathers and cooking food over a long period of time over an extravagant fire.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/04/barbecue-american-tradition-enslaved-africans-native-americans

https://afroculinaria.com/2012/07/14/the-colonial-roots-of-southern-barbecue-re-creating-the-birth-of-an-american-culinary-staple/

In West Africa, suya cooking is practiced by the Hausa, Fulani and their neighbors in the savanna and Sahel, utilizing a spice rub that is liberally applied to brochettes of meat roasted over flames

the etymology of the word is disputed by some articles.
either it's it's derived from "indigenes of the West Indies, where the word “barbacoa,” was encountered by the Spanish in the 16th century."

OR

"The word barbecue also has roots in West Africa among the Hausa, who used the term “babbake” to describe a complex of words referring to grilling, toasting, building a large fire, singeing hair or feathers and cooking food over a long period of time over an extravagant fire."

the word can't "also have roots"
It has to be one or the other but I'm not sure which. From what I have read the idea that it came from this Hausa word babbake came later by a particular writer but that doesn't mean it's wrong and that word would also have to be dated for it's use in Hausa to considered it as a possible origin

https://www.etymonline.com/word/barbecue

Reed’s earliest use in English dates to 1661: Edmund Hickeringill’s Jamaica Viewed reported that animals “are slain, And their flesh forthwith Barbacu’d.” There were also early metaphoric uses: Cotton Mather lamented a pogrom of Narragansetts in 1675, when women, children, and elders were “terribly Barbikew’d” in their lodges by colonial soldiers. Aphra Behn’s 1689 play The Widow Ranter OR, The History of Bacon in Virginia, has “the rabble” saying “Let’s barbicu this fat rogue.” (Reed reminds us that the Bacon of Behn’s extended title was Nathaniel Bacon, leader of Bacon’s Rebellion, not the pork product, tasty though it is.)

You have to go even further south. Long before the English showed up, the Spanish found the indigenous peoples of the Caribbean and northern coast of South America using wooden frames to support meat and fish over or near fire. They could either cook over direct heat—what we now call grilling—or slow roast and cure over indirect heat and smoke (true barbecue, even today). The native word for this frame was heard and transcribed by the Spanish as barbacoa.

https://daily.jstor.org/the-origins-of-the-word-barbecue/

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
LIES

--------------------

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, here's a list of English words known to have an African origin.

English words of African origin

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for comparison here is a list of English words known to have Indigenous American origin.

List of English words from indigenous languages of the Americas

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
It's not only about they word but how the food is cooked

--------------------

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Europeans NEVER covered their meat or food in spices.

They did not have access to enough of spices.

I have watched enough British cooking shows about food from the 15th century to KNOW this. They ate maggot cheese in England

-

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
https://archive.org/details/generalynatural01fernrich/page/558/mode/2up?q=barbacoa

He also describes "esclavo negro" elsewhere in the book. I don't know if any were Hausa in with these Carib Indians and could have introduced the word babbake (assuming that is not a recent Hausa word)
and then Indians and/or the Spanish rendered it as "barbacua"
but this is just describing roasting meat on a wood grill type set up. It doesn't seems so unique.

barbecuing 1 : to cook over or before an open source of heat (as hot coals)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com