EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » I need advice (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I need advice
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for inlovewithhim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I need advice. After years of dating "Mr. Wrong" I have finally met the man I want to marry. The problem is that he's Egyptian and I am American. He is not 100% religious but he follows it to a certain degree. I believe in God, but I am not religious at all. Now, I don't mind getting married in a Masque, I don't even mind my kids being Muslim. What I do mind is when my boyfriend tells me not to eat pork, not to have the occassional drink, and not to go out with my friends when I want to. Why should I have to change my entire lifestyle over night just because I love him? Yes, I know everyone makes sacrifices for the ones they love, but what does pork have to do with my love for him? Also, if this is how he is now, how are things going to be when we get married? Any advice? How do I love him and still maintain who I am?
Posts: 18 | From: New York, NY 10032 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alabanda
Member # 594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alabanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably won't change after you get married. If he is religious enough to ask you to change these things from the begining the he's probably honest and straight forward. The ball is in your court now.. Read and study what Islam requires and if you find that you can live by those rules then go ahead. If not, then pull back when it's relatively early. Good luck!
Posts: 320 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advise from Alabanda.

FYI OP - Alabanda is a Muslim, young man, and is telling you the way it is from a man's point of view. I think it's valid to listen to.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for inlovewithhim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what does pork have to do with how much I love him? What about all the qualities about him that make me feel love for him, like how sweet he is, how smart he is, how much he makes me laugh, etc? Why can't he just loosen up and let me be me? Also, how can anyone expect someone to change their lifestyle over night? Why can't he give me time? Can't we live together accepting eachother's differences? He doesn't hear me say anything when he tells me he wants me to get married in a Masque which I am willing to do eventhough my mom will have a heart attack.
Posts: 18 | From: New York, NY 10032 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by inlovewithhim:
But what does pork have to do with how much I love him? What about all the qualities about him that make me feel love for him, like how sweet he is, how smart he is, how much he makes me laugh, etc? Why can't he just loosen up and let me be me? Also, how can anyone expect someone to change their lifestyle over night? Why can't he give me time? Can't we live together accepting eachother's differences? He doesn't hear me say anything when he tells me he wants me to get married in a Masque which I am willing to do eventhough my mom will have a heart attack.

the question here is " does he accept u as christian with ur customs and the life u got used to or he wants u to be muslim like him?). in fact it's of no importance if u don't eat the pork and not muslim, but in islam, man is responsible for bad behaviours of his wife. so what's forbidden for him must be forbidden for his wife. i just wanted to explain his point of view to u and from what he asked from u whatever difficult it is to u, it seems that he loves u alot, and he seems a good man.
good luck.

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
I understand that Egy, and I am trying. I am really, really trying, but these are things that I can't change over night. Also, I think it says a lot that I am willing to marry him in a Masque and raise my children as Muslims. He says that I don't have to convert (which would never happen anyway) so I am cool with that. I really want to make this work. Thanks for the advice.

akrum
Member # 2885

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for akrum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you must read about islam moor and moor,
read books and ask your husband about isalm
don't be hary up and take enough time.
there are links which may be very good for
you http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch3-1.htm
whene you understand the islam that is will be very helpful for you and your husband and you childeren .
again just read about islam

quote:
I understand that Egy, and I am trying. I am really, really trying, but these are things that I can't change over night. Also, I think it says a lot that I am willing to marry him in a Masque and raise my children as Muslims. He says that I don't have to convert (which would never happen anyway) so I am cool with that. I really want to make this work. Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 27 | From: cairo | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Thank you Akrum. I want to read as much as I can so that I can make it work. If you have anything else for me to read let me know.
Also, we are planning a trip to Egypt next year and I am going to meet his family. Is there any advice that you or anyone can give me?

akrum
Member # 2885

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for akrum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are ebooks in english at the folowing site http://www.understanding-islam.com/
and also link http://www.islam101.com/
which includes many others links
bey
quote:
Thank you Akrum. I want to read as much as I can so that I can make it work. If you have anything else for me to read let me know.
Also, we are planning a trip to Egypt next year and I am going to meet his family. Is there any advice that you or anyone can give me?

Posts: 27 | From: cairo | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaliyah
Member # 2861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaliyah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't even mind my kids being Muslim. What I do mind is when my boyfriend tells me not to eat pork

Strange scale of value, isn't it?

Posts: 164 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hafsa
Member # 1890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hafsa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not the fact that he is telling what you can and cannot eat but the fact that he is following a commandment from God. It seems ironic that you are willing to have your children be Muslim but do not want to follow some of the basic tenets of Islam.

I encourage you really to think strongly about this relationship. It will only become more difficult when the children arrive. What would you do if you have a daughter and your husband says that once she hits puberty that she must cover her head. And you think eating pork is rough?

I am a Muslim American married to an Egyptian. I accepted Islam before I married my husband. It is very important for you to read more about the religion and learn the basic pillars of belief before you ruin your life, his life and your potential children's lives!!!!!

Posts: 138 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
wow, I don't think I'd be comfortable if my daughter had to cover her hair at all. I asked him about that and he said that they only have to wear it when they pray. I don't mind that, but I'll be damned if my daughter has to walk around with her head covered. I am starting to really re-think this situation. I know that his cousin is married to a Jewish woman and she has kept her religion. I have never seen her with her hair covered. That's a good sign, right?
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
I figure since I am not religious that it's not a big deal. To me it's more about being defensive that I have a man trying to tell me what to do (eventhough he is asking me). I will never be Muslim, but my children are more than welcome to learn about it. If later they decide on their own to choose Christianity that is up to them. They have the freedom to choose as long as God is in their lives, I don't have a problem. Just don't tell me to all of a sudden stop eating something that I have been eating all my life.
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If later they decide on their own to choose Christianity that is up to them. They have the freedom to choose as long as God is in their lives, I don't have a problem.

You're joking right?

If not, you REALLY do need to do some reading and studying. There is NO turning to Christianity after becoming a Muslim. It is one of the deals in Islam. Family has the right to actually kill you if you deny Islam and accept Christianity.

I thought it was in this forum we'd had a big discussion about this exact subject. Does anyone else remember it, or was it over in ET? If it was here, you have to research for it and read the thread. It was interesting.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

www.islamonline.com (this will help u alot)
www.forislam.com www.4islam.com

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alabanda
Member # 594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alabanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It doesn't have anything to do with how much you love him. It has to do with the way he wants to be living, according to Islam. Whether it's overnight or not is something to work on a deal about with him. By the way, you don't have to get married in a Mosque. People don't anyway.

Posts: 320 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefertiti
Member # 1628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You make it seem like the main problem is that he wants you to stop eating pork - if you are so in love with him then that should be a minor thing to give up. Think about how much you REALLY love this guy.

That's not my main point anyway, it sounds like that is just one of the problems you have had and you have picked the most trivial thing to complain about.

It doesn't sound like you have thought about this one bit.... you think that by agreeing to marry in a mosque you are making a big sacrifice? Ha ha, that's just a ceremony.... you're problems haven't even begun yet. You need to do one thing and one thing only at this point in time: READ ABOUT ISLAM, forget how much you 'love' him and think about how your life will change... he may not be very religious now, but that can change so quickly and easily.... what will you do then? What about if he decides that actually he WOULD like you to convert to Islam? Most Muslims that i know, even if they are not strict practicing Muslims they have in-built Islamic values, morals etc and you may not understand this... since you have zero understanding of Islam you will probably think he is being unreasonable. Also he may not even see that there is a problem or know how to explain why he does things because it will just be a part of his religious upbringing! In his eyes it will all be normal behaviour.

What made me laugh is that you want to eat pork but you don't mind your children being Muslim??? What is that all about? Don't you think you will want to take part in teaching your children? Don't you think it would make sense to know and understand what they are learning.... do people send their children to school and not have an understanding of the curriculum? What are you going to do when you have your husband AND children telling you to stop eating pork (because that is most important to you at the moment)? Will you like it if your children have a closer relationship with their father than with you because of having shared religious beliefs? Lol also you said "I'll be damned if my daughter has to walk around with her head covered" That say's it all about your respect for you're partners religion - do you really think you will have a choice in the matter?

One thing you should understand is that everything happens by Allah's will. So if He decides that your partner is to one day become a stronger Muslim... he will, if He decides that you should have girls (for children) and they are to be strong Muslim's who believe in all the teachings of Islam (including covering the head).... they will.

I think you should go and find 'love' with a non-Muslim man

[This message has been edited by Nefertiti (edited 02 October 2003).]

Posts: 693 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Last time I checked, I lived in the US where people can choose whatever religion they want to choose. I'll be damned if my daughter does not have choice. Maybe you're right, maybe this isn't such a good idea after all.
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Thanks

inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Thanks. I am just really frustrated and trying to understand his culture and religion. You guys are helping me a lot.

inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Thanks, but I pointed out the pork thing as an example of what I am going through right now with my boyfriend. I know that's just the tip of the iceberg.
I didn't come on this board to be ridiculed. I came on to ask a serious question and to learn from you guys.
The truth of the matter is that I am reading a lot more about Islam thanks to egy and Akrum.
I am not a religious person. This is why I see nothing wrong with my husband teaching my children about God. What is wrong with that?
By the way for me getting married in a Mosque is a sacrifice since I will be alienating my entire family.
The truth of the matter is that my boyfriend is religious, but not a fanatic. So I don't see how he will be closer to the children than I will. If I carry a child for 9 months, give birth to it, care for it, feed it, etc, how will I not be close to my child? Just cause they go to a Mosque once in a while? Big deal

[This message has been edited by inlovewithhim (edited 02 October 2003).]

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
inlove,

my best advice is to ask your boyfriend to take you to his mosque or to the Islamic Center in your area and ask to meet some muslimahs who can help you locally. They will be a great source of information for you as well as acquainting you with all thats involved with marriage to a muslim man.

Keep in mind Islam is not just a religion...it is a way of Life.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
Laura

ps. I quit eating pork long before I became muslimah based simply on the fact of an article I read telling about all the worms in the meat. So what if you cook it..worms are worms...YUCK! LOL

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited 02 October 2003).]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Thank you Laura. I think you're right. I am going to go with him and learn more. I think it's a positive thing that I am willing to learn and am trying to keep an open mind. Which is why I don't understand why some people on this board are giving me such a hard time. They don't see that I am trying.
As for pork, I figure it won't kill me to give it up, but what I find so funny is that my boyfriend eats fast food. I mean, he knows that meat isn't clean, so what's the diff between that and eating pork? you know what I mean?

Nefertiti
Member # 1628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks, but I pointed out the pork thing as an example of what I am going through right now with my boyfriend. I know that's just the tip of the iceberg.
I didn't come on this board to be ridiculed. I came on to ask a serious question and to learn from you guys.
The truth of the matter is that I am reading a lot more about Islam thanks to egy and Akrum.
I am not a religious person. This is why I see nothing wrong with my husband teaching my children about God. What is wrong with that?
By the way for me getting married in a Mosque is a sacrifice since I will be alienating my entire family.
The truth of the matter is that my boyfriend is religious, but not a fanatic. So I don't see how he will be closer to the children than I will. If I carry a child for 9 months, give birth to it, care for it, feed it, etc, how will I not be close to my child? Just cause they go to a Mosque once in a while? Big deal

I was simply responding to the story and information you provided... we don't know you personally, you are posting on a public message board so you need to be prepared for all sorts of opinions... good and bad. When some one bases their relationship problems around Pork what do you expect! Are we supposed to now there is more to it? And didn't i state that it sounds like that is not your main issue.

Anyway....

It's good that you are reading about Islam. Making a 'sacrifice' by getting married in a Mosque is a non-issue... that is something that you can both compromise on. You will need to sign papers etc in Government buildings anyway so making an issue about the Mosque is just creating more problems for yourself.

What is a fanatic? Like Laura says Islam is a way of life, so even if a Muslim is not going around preaching about the Qur'an, in most cases they will feel love inside for Allah and Islam.... If your boyfriend was born a Muslim then it's quite likely he was brought up to live the Islamic way of life... regardless of what life he lives now.

I don't feel like replying to you anymore anyway..... i just hope to Allah that what you read and what others may tell you here helps you to make the right decision. At the moment your attitude towards Islam stinks - "Just cause they go to a Mosque once in a while? Big deal" were your words. Lets just hope when you meet his family you are able to keep that attitude in check.

Nobody is telling you to change your religion... nobody is telling you to accept the teachings of Islam... but for sure i wouldn't want any children i may have learning and living by something i don't myself understand or agree with.

Posts: 693 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think you need to realize something. your boyfriend may never ask you to change religion (because it's not right -if he is a good muslim he knows that you must want to convert for you...it's btw you and god...not bcs of him or your future kids.)

BUT. this is a big, big but. if he is muslim and he wants the kids raised muslim, then you, as the MOTHER, and as a role model, will lead an islamic lifestyle.

To give you an extreme example, you will not be able to run around in skimpy shorts, eating pork, drinking and celebrating christmas in front of the kids (going against the principles of the religion you and your husband are trying to raise them in.)

I know in the US religion is a personal choice, but in Egypt it is ingrained in the social way of life. Let me repeat that - islam penetrates into the social fibers of this society in a way you don't see in the US. It's NOT just going to a mosque every Friday. It's NOT just praying 5x a day. It's a way of life.

You will be a role model for your children, as mothers are very treasured (above fathers) in his society.

That means, he is looking very very carefully at you, making sure that you are capable of bringing up his children in a correct way, even though you're not muslim.

Get to know some muslims in your area. Talk to them about it to see how they practice it where they live. It will not be as your husband practices it (as I said before, it's part of the society here), but it will give you great insight to how you and your husband may find middle ground and be able to coexist wt a 2 religion household

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Citizen once posted a great response to someone explaining that as the mother of the children you are just a caretaker until they are old enough to leave you. They always belong to the father. I seriously suggest you do a load more serious reading about women in an Islamic society.

I am married to a lovely Egyptian man and I am a Christian. We do not intend to have children as I am too old and too unhealthy but I know that should I accidently get pregnant I would have no rights to that child what so ever.

Mahmoud totally controls every aspect of my life. I do nothing without his permission and consent. I do this because I am a real Egyptian wife who realises that my every action reflects on him, his family and his position. By doing the wrong thing I could damage his sisters chances of getting married. This is the kind of society you are talking about joining. Can you cope with this?

I'll be damned if my daughter has to walk around with her head covered

I personally don't think you will be able to handle a mixed marriage with an attitude like that.

------------------
UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Accomodation and Tours in Luxor

[This message has been edited by akshar (edited 02 October 2003).]

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing came to mind, which I know is a very touchy subject but yet may still want to be asked of your future husband regarding female children. I know that the "cutting" or FGM of females is still done here and you may want to know his feelings and views on this subject. It's not so unheard of as some want to think.

Laura

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
I guess you're right. I have no business being in this relationship. I wasn't brought up to have to ask a man for permission to do anything except for maybe my father. Yes, I do have a father already. I am 25 years old so I don't even need his permission to do anything anymore, nevermind, my husband.
My attitude towards organized religion as a whole stinks. I don't just mean to put down Islam. I wasn't brought up to go to church all the time or to pray all the time, so I am trying to adjust to someone who is somewhat religious.
I am thankful to those who have tried to understand where I am coming from. I will continue to do more reading.

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all the responses in this thread, you've been advised to change your ways to please your man. As you seem unwilling to do that - and you have every right to feel that way - then perhaps the two of you should sit down together, have a good heart-to-heart and decide in which ways you can BOTH change to come together on some middle ground.

The success of your relationship could also depend on where you're going to live. In Egypt the law still gives the man the upper hand in family matters. In the US, the law maybe more equal or in some cases favour the woman.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freeman
Member # 2671

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for freeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and who said that Nefertiti was young and immature.
Dear all,
Have a friend of mine Muslim, who is married to Chritian Catolic woman with one boy normaly Christian , now they want to have their own who is going to be muslim , 2 brothers different religious.
convert the story you got married have a child muslim , your husband (leave or passed away) you got married to a Christian ,and bring baby , how you are going to handle the situation aloooone , you gonna convert your first child to Chritian , that what we call it a miss.
think think think.................

Posts: 482 | From: EGYPT | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
We will be living in the US. I just don't think it's fair for me to give up everything that I am just to please a man. Why can't he give up some things too? Why can't we work together? I think you're absolutely right and he and I need to sit down and talk seriously about this.
Right now, I just feel scared and defensive because I don't want to leave him, but at the same time I don't want to give up my entire identity because of a man. He knew who I was before we started dating, he accepted me then, why should I change completely now. Relationships are about compromise FROM BOTH SIDES.
Thanks for your support

inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Again, I am not a religious person. I don't even attend church so if the father goes, religion goes too.
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 02 June 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inlovewithhim
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Thanks Monica. The truth is that I can live without the pork. It's just that it sort of represents my freedom to choose in a way, you know? I want to be able to live my life the way that I am accustomed. I can give up pork, alcohol, etc, but will he ask me to give up my friends next? My job? My school? My family? where does it all end? This is the real concern for me.
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inlove - These are all good questions and questions you should get answers to. You are wise to look at it this way and ask. I personally can sympathise with you. I would have a very hard time giving up my freedoms, and I would go into a serious relationship with a Muslim man cautiously for the same reasons you are expressing. The difference is you've found one you really want to think about this with.

I think the men will differ though, so you really need to find out what your bf tells you about himself and his beliefs. Ask him if he can tell you where it will end. If he has a brother that is married already, you might talk to his wife and see where it all ends in their relationship.

You might have read in another thread where one woman here, married to a Muslim man, does not email men at her husbands request. That is one of the things that is obviously important to her husband. For me, unless he was reciprocating, I'd have a hard time accepting that. I have male friends and that's not going to change. But, it apparently works for her and that's good.

Good luck in your studies and exploration of self and this subject.

maggie30
Member # 3112

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maggie30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes this is not easy, I know from my own life. I have been dating Egyptian man for almost 1 year with few brakes. When we met I was during my divorce, I was drinking and I did not care about anything. I was not ready for any dating with anybody. Now after a year I give up few things I liked to do before, and I still worry if this relationship would work. He always tells me that it is me who always makes things hard. I'm reading a lot about Islam Now I can undersandt him better, maybe I will convert, I just like the way Muslim people live.
quote:
Ok, I need advice. After years of dating "Mr. Wrong" I have finally met the man I want to marry. The problem is that he's Egyptian and I am American. He is not 100% religious but he follows it to a certain degree. I believe in God, but I am not religious at all. Now, I don't mind getting married in a Masque, I don't even mind my kids being Muslim. What I do mind is when my boyfriend tells me not to eat pork, not to have the occassional drink, and not to go out with my friends when I want to. Why should I have to change my entire lifestyle over night just because I love him? Yes, I know everyone makes sacrifices for the ones they love, but what does pork have to do with my love for him? Also, if this is how he is now, how are things going to be when we get married? Any advice? How do I love him and still maintain who I am?

[This message has been edited by maggie30 (edited 11 November 2003).]

Posts: 7 | From: chicago | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMR the great
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for AMR the great   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I believe in God, but I am not religious at all......WELL, if u r not religious at all, then there is no marriage from the begining, coz according to islamic rules the muslim man only can marry christian or jewish women, they must be religious not only belivie in god.
my advice if u r talking about marriage & not only as lovers to think about islam & turn to islam ( as u r nonreligious )in order for marriage to be right.
if u want more information about islamic rules in marrying contact me at amr_kamal_@hotmail.com , & god help u.

Posts: 97 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moshko
Member # 2498

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't marry a Musilm he's gonna beat you and marry 6 other women on you!!!
quote:

------------------
Moshko

Posts: 143 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by moshko:
Don't marry a Musilm he's gonna beat you and marry 6 other women on you!!!

LOOOOOOOOOL Moshko,

You get used to the beatings (it only hurts the first time) and with 6 other wifes you have so much more time for shopping and relaxing in front of the tv looooooooooool

Less cooking and laundry too!

Wallahi you are funny!

AMR the great
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for AMR the great   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
LOOOOOOOOOL Moshko,

You get used to the beatings (it only hurts the first time) and with 6 other wifes you have so much more time for shopping and relaxing in front of the tv looooooooooool

Less cooking and laundry too!

Wallahi you are funny!

too funny laura

Posts: 97 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lionesspr
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lionesspr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
Citizen once posted a great response to someone explaining that as the mother of the children you are just a caretaker until they are old enough to leave you. They always belong to the father. I seriously suggest you do a load more serious reading about women in an Islamic society.

I am married to a lovely Egyptian man and I am a Christian. We do not intend to have children as I am too old and too unhealthy but I know that should I accidently get pregnant I would have no rights to that child what so ever.

Mahmoud totally controls every aspect of my life. I do nothing without his permission and consent. I do this because I am a real Egyptian wife who realises that my every action reflects on him, his family and his position. By doing the wrong thing I could damage his sisters chances of getting married. This is the kind of society you are talking about joining. Can you cope with this?

[b]I'll be damned if my daughter has to walk around with her head covered

I personally don't think you will be able to handle a mixed marriage with an attitude like that.

[/B]

You couldnt be more assertive on this one!, kind of late for this comment, but it really caught my attention. She is very unsure, I hope she does not make this big mistake. She is not ready for this step, and she will not be.

lioness

Posts: 18 | From: san juan, puerto rico | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indie
Member # 3128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you have a lot to think about. My husband is egyptian. My son is christian and myself. He was muslim. We gave up pork, but you will not be able to wear shorts, or short skirts or anything sexy, even tank tops. He had to know where i was every minute of the day, i could not have any males friends(even friends i have had for 20 years) and even gay friends. But he was allowed to have female friends. he chatted with women on line, would send them pictures of him with no shirt on, etc. i was even scared when the phone rang in case it was a guy friend. How long have you dated this man???? He also charged all my cards took money out of my bank and fled back to egypt. Just be careful. I know there are some very nice egyptian men out there, he was lucky to have some friends that care about me and think he is a snake, but please please be careful. especially if you have children, he can take them to egypt and you will have no rights to bring them back.
Posts: 8 | From: san francisco, california, us | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TroyT
Member # 3136

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for TroyT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are obviously not totally sure about marrying this guy since there are already certain things that make you question whether this is the best decision for you. Remember getting married is not only about love and love is not enough many times for a marriage to work. Those little things like not eating pork are actually a lot more significant than they may seem. If you love him for who he is then you will also be marrying those behaviors that you are not sure about. If he is not willing to change those beliefs then you either have to accept things the way they are and live with it or not get married. Take your time and don't rush into things witout really thinking about what it will mean downt the road.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 02 June 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hateusernames
Member # 3091

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for hateusernames     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Where is : inlovewithim????? She did'nt post since October 2..................

She is no longer inlovewithim !

Posts: 18 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

[b]I'll be damned if my daughter has to walk around with her head covered

[/B]

Now if mahmoud can handle you and the behavior that is exhibiting by a binge drinker, a co-wife that posts pictures of the first wife on the internet unveiled, and worst of all discusses inimate details of her fake husband's anatomy (how long the beloved shlong you must share). You will live longer.

If you cannot keep your exploits between you and your husband, in addition to the behavior while intoxicated (which I am sure reveals the opposite 'darker' side of your delusional optimism).

Disaster waiting to happen. While the daughter of an apostate is there exposed to the harshest of possibilities.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 08 March 2005).]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go again. Digging in old threads - this one was finished 16 months ago!!!! - and getting personal in a mean way towards others.

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Here we go again. Digging in old threads - this one was finished 16 months ago!!!! - and getting personal in a mean way towards others.

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!

If you can't handle it tough. People have reposted my threads and I took the heat.

If you can't handle it, don't dish it out.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
If you can't handle it tough. People have reposted my threads and I took the heat.

If you can't handle it, don't dish it out.

Sonomod

Your posts reveal your truth and mine reveal mine.

You slag your husband off, I praise mine.

You slag Egypt of and don't live there I praise it and live there.

You abandon your child and put your own selfish desires above your daughter. I keep mine with my and make sure she is happy.

You accuse my of all sorts of thing I accuse you of nothing except a need for professional help.

My Egyptian family love me, if yours knew what you have said about them they would disown/kill you.

You have a massive chip on your shoulders and attack everyone in sight. I have made great friends on the internet you have made only enemies.

I have a successful business providing for my extended family. You steal from your mother.

You boast about your connections, I don’t need to.

Lets face it you are a sad human being who puts material success above human relationships; you hate your family both natal and married. You use this forum to get some kind of life and we all know you have none.

I can’t remember how many times this has been said to you, get some professional help. You are deeply disturbed and need professional counselling to help you with your relationship with your mother, husband and your child. Your child is also going to need help to understand why mummy abandoned her. For God sake forget about this false Western life and reunite with your child. I spend more time with my cat than you have with your child.

I continue to feel very sorry for you and wish you the best but I suspect you are on a self destruct course which no one can stop.

GET HELP

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
And lastly I am not afraid to reveal my true identity Jane Akshar. Everyone knows me, I don't hide behind silly aliases or do multiply posts on this and other forums.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com