EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » belly dancing in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: belly dancing in Cairo
Cindy
Member # 3219

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cindy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very charmed by East and that’s the reason why I am going to visit Egypt third time. From my point of view, belly dancing is the symbol of Egypt as well as Pyramids. Where I can see belly dancing in Cairo? Would someone recommend me some cafe, restaurant or other place for that (not far from the center)? By the way, I do aerobic at local fitness club and sometimes I practice belly dancing.:-) Of course, this is not professionally but just for fun…So I really want to see a professional belly dancing show.

Also I would like to know what you think about belly dancing. Sometimes I feel that people blame it. Don’t you know why?

Thanks and best regards, Cindy

[This message has been edited by Cindy (edited 19 January 2004).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Cindy, there r lots of belly dancing shows in elharam street...
Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy
Member # 3219

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cindy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you egy-prince:-)

I would like to know what you think about belly dancing. Sometimes I feel that people blame it. Don’t you know why?

Probably you know more if you live in Egypt(?)...
QUOTE]Originally posted by egy_prince:
hi Cindy, there r lots of belly dancing shows in elharam street...[/QUOTE]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cindy:
Thank you egy-prince:-)

I would like to know what you think about belly dancing. Sometimes I feel that people blame it. Don’t you know why?

Probably you know more if you live in Egypt(?)...
QUOTE]Originally posted by egy_prince:
[b]hi Cindy, there r lots of belly dancing shows in elharam street...

[/B][/QUOTE]

Some people here criticize it as the belly dancer shows some parts of her body while dancing and u know, not all people in eastern countries accept this...but there r schools for belly dancing in egypt as it is still an egyptian art.

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EgyPrince - Do you sincerely suggest that a foreign woman go to the clubs on Pyramids street to see these shows? Really? Would you let your sister or mother go there? Comeon? There are some less sleezy places to see belly dancers....surely.

Cindy - I can't even think of a circumstance where I'd suggest a foreign woman go out to these sleezy clubs on Pyramids street. Maybe if you have enough foreign men around you to protect you from the boneheads that will be there assuming you are a working girl. I have heard the ONLY women out there other than the dancer are prostitutes. I assume this is a jaded opinion and that sometimes foreigners go out in groups (both men and women) to see the shows, but I bet it doesn't happen often, and mostly the arabs sitting around will have a bad opinion of any women sitting in the audience.
If I were you, I'd look into the shows done at any of the 5* hotels. They will be more respectable.

Or, I have another suggestion.... if EgyPrince says "yes, why not" about his mother and sister going to the shows, let's have a girls night out from ES with EP's mom and sister. They can take us there! I'd go if they were there! Really!

Have fun and enjoy.

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 20 January 2004).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
EgyPrince - Do you sincerely suggest that a foreign woman go to the clubs on Pyramids street to see these shows? Really? Would you let your sister or mother go there? Comeon? There are some less sleezy places to see belly dancers....surely.

Cindy - I can't even think of a circumstance where I'd suggest a foreign woman go out to these sleezy clubs on Pyramids street. Maybe if you have enough foreign men around you to protect you from the boneheads that will be there assuming you are a working girl. I have heard the ONLY women out there other than the dancer are prostitutes. I assume this is a jaded opinion and that sometimes foreigners go out in groups (both men and women) to see the shows, but I bet it doesn't happen often, and mostly the arabs sitting around will have a bad opinion of any women sitting in the audience.
If I were you, I'd look into the shows done at any of the 5* hotels. They will be more respectable.

Or, I have another suggestion.... if EgyPrince says "yes, why not" about his mother and sister going to the shows, let's have a girls night out from ES with EP's mom and sister. They can take us there! I'd go if they were there! Really!

Have fun and enjoy.

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 20 January 2004).]

Debbie, I spoke about clubs in Pyramids street because she asked me about places 4 belly dancing in Cairo, and this is the place I know..She didn't say she is going there and I didn't tell her to go, I just gave information, and if she wants to protect herself from the men u speak about she can.

About mother and sister, it's silly of u to mention them because I think it's NON OF UR BUSINESS.

Raveboi
Member # 3381

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raveboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you touched a nerve there Debbie
Posts: 15 | From: Karachi, Pakistan | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mostafa581
Member # 3392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mostafa581     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as you said debbie but there are alot of many other places such as floating resturants on the river nile / 5 stars hotel they are more respectable & woman can go there alone beside you can have a nile tour
i wish you a happy tour here for the third time

Posts: 7 | From: cairo | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Raveboi:
I think you touched a nerve there Debbie

Raveboi, I don't like to get in quarrels like others here as it's not my nature, and I don't like to talk in all subjects for my benefits like them.

Cindy, wish to hear ur reply!!

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Where I can see belly dancing in Cairo? Would someone recommend me some cafe, restaurant or other place for that (not far from the center)?

Egy-Prince.... what does the above mean to you?
To me, it means she is asking where to go see belly dancing at. Am I wrong?

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Egy-Prince.... what does the above mean to you?
To me, it means she is asking where to go see belly dancing at. Am I wrong?

good, so where were u at that time, I guess u visit the board every an hour at least, why did u wait till u comment on my post!! why didn't u show us ur great experience first!!

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is right Egy-prince..... I saw her post many times before I posted, but I just knew if I waited long enough, you'd eventually post something rediculous and then I'd have you where I wanted you. How did you figure that out?
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cindy I do agree with you. Bellydance is a real Egyptian Ancient Tradition. Although some egyptian people might not like the idea, Bellydance is one of the main attractions for tourists (I mean the people that bring a lot of money into the country). Unfortunately, throughout the centuries, some people(Bellydancers included), started changing its real spirit, turning it into a kind of a sleezy dance. It is a very sensual dance, indeed, but there's nothing wrong with it, as long as you perform with class. There are a lot of places in Cairo for you to see good Bellydance shows. I would like to recommend the Cairo Hilton hotel,where my former Bellydance teacher, Soraya Zayed performs.I hope you will enjoy her show. Have a very nice holiday and keep practicing Bellydance. All the best. Teresa
Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy
Member # 3219

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cindy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to recommend the Cairo Hilton hotel,where my former Bellydance teacher, Soraya Zayed performs.I hope you will enjoy her show. Have a very nice holiday and keep practicing Bellydance. All the best. Teresa[/B][/QUOTE]

Hello Friends,

Thank you very much for your comments. I really appreciate it. I will travel with 4 or 6 friends(male and female)and my brother, so I am sure they will protect me from the boneheads. I think the best advice is to go to 5* Hotel to see a show. I will follow:-)

Cindy
Member # 3219

Rate Member
Please one more advice re this issue...

Would it be possible to buy in Cairo some belly-dancing video, CD, special clothes(not really professional costumes, just for working out)? Where?

Looking forward to be there...

Thanks

quote:
I would like to recommend the Cairo Hilton hotel,where my former Bellydance teacher, Soraya Zayed performs.I hope you will enjoy her show. Have a very nice holiday and keep practicing Bellydance. All the best. Teresa

Hello Friends,

Thank you very much for your comments. I really appreciate it. I will travel with 4 or 6 friends(male and female)and my brother, so I am sure they will protect me from the boneheads. I think the best advice is to go to 5* Hotel to see a show. I will follow:-)

[/B][/QUOTE]

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy,
You haven't yet told us where you are from, so I want to say that if you are in the USA, don't buy a video tape here, unless you have it converted to the system that VCR's in America use. It isn't the same system as what we have here and they use in Europe, so it probably won't play on your machine when you get it home.

As for the music and the accessories, there are loads of stores that sell this sort of thing in the Khan el Khalili. There are more that sell the crap tourist costumes too, but ask around, and you'll find some nice shops where real belly dancers go too.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Cindy
Member # 3219

Rate Member
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your feedback. Ok, I realized that this is good idea to visit Khan el Khalili. I will ask my teacher what is the real cost of things...I don't want to overpay too much;-)

About myself... I didn't really want to inform where I am from because one lady left a lot of mess some while ago...She was so proud that she is Russian...that she didn't manage to see a little be farther from her nose:-(

So I am Russian, of course I am proud because of it. I study econimics and management at the University. I will get my diploma in two years. Also I work for software distribution company as a logistics manager. I live and work in Moscow. I like traveling, aerobics, English(I hope you will excuse my English) and etc. Oh, I play on the piano:-)

Debbie, I say your picture at your web-site;-)

[This message has been edited by Cindy (edited 11 February 2004).]

misscurly
Member # 2334

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misscurly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Please one more advice re this issue...

Would it be possible to buy in Cairo some belly-dancing video, CD, special clothes(not really professional costumes, just for working out)? Where?

Looking forward to be there...

Thanks

you can buy a dvd from play.com - its by a dancer called Hilary Thacker, there is a beginners then then a more advanced. the picture quality isnt what we r used to from dvd but she is very clear in her instructions and she shows the moves clearly, it also gives her website where u can find out lots about classes and costumes etcIts called the dvd is Egyptian Belly dancing - beginners its about £12.00.
i go to a weekly class and its fun and highly addictive!!!!

Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CheckThisOut
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CheckThisOut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Moderated Forum
http://www.youregypt.com/forum/index.php

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Check this out:
www.raqiahassan.net

Raqia is one of the most respected teachers of raks sharqi and she surely can guide you during your visit to Egypt. And her videos are famous!

Good luck!

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1- As in many cultures, Middle Eastern men do dance at celebrations and clubs. Men get up and dance at parties, weddings, in restaurants with the main dancer.

2- More conservative Muslim women still hesitate to dance in settings where men other than their husbands can see them, even at these social occasions. Such women may go to the mixed-company events, but do not take a turn at dancing.

3- Professional dancers still perform at nightclubs, and are often hired to perform at weddings and other special occasions.

4- Undoubtedly, there have probably been many individuals over the years who have used the dance in private as a tool for seduction.

5- But that is not how we think of Oriental dance, and that is not the role they see it having in their society.

6- For Arab, the dance remains firmly in the realm of something that people of all ages do for fun when they get together with friends and family.

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com