EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » oops

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oops
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st time on sit , sorry
as i was saying , cant wait !
staying in same hotel again in luxor (novotel ) for 2 weeks.determined to see the pyramids this time so have just booked a 2 nite stay in the oasis hotel cairo.we are very independent and like to do a lot of things on our own time. sometimes not a good thing i know but makes it a good adventure.im intending booking a train from luxor to cairo when i get there but can anyone tell me what station in cairo to get of at and how far my hotel is from the station ? going to cairo on sat 28/2/04 and back to luxor on tue. also thinking of going to hurghada for a day or 2 but can not find much in the way of where to stay in hurghada on the web search , would also like to go snorkling whilst there . any advice would be very helpful . also im i right in thinking you have to catch a bus from luxor to hurghada ?

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samirasunshine
Member # 3523

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for samirasunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I can't answer your questions about Cairo as I live in Luxor. You can get the coach from the coach station in Luxor. The journey is supposed to take three hours however everytime I have done it has taken anywhere from 5 to 10 hours. The first time on the way back they decided to terminate the coach at Qena and we had to find our own way back to Luxor, the second we had a burst tyre and as there was no spare one they just took the wheel off and we drove with one wheel missing!(maybe I am just unlucky). I am not trying to put you off but I wouldn't bother going just for one day as you will spend most of the time travelling, stay at least the 1 night minimum. I have recently come back from El Gouna which is a purpose built resort about a 30 minute taxi ride from Hurghada coach station. It is a great place if you want to escape the hassle in Hurghada and just want to enjoy the sun, sea and snorkelling. The water there is crystal clear and you won't see a bit of rubbish! The only people allowed in to El Gouna are residents, tourists or employees. It may not be your scene but it is a really nice place to chill out and a real contrast to the rest of Egypt. The are some great restaurants and nightlife too and a fab marina.
Just a suggestion.

Posts: 9 | From: Luxor | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samirasunshine
Member # 3523

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for samirasunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! Forgot! You may find this link interesting. http://www.elgouna.com/
I just noticed that you are from Torquay. Great place!

Posts: 9 | From: Luxor | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanx for the reply , i remember reading something bout el gouna being nicer then hurghada think i will take your advice and try there instead. must say im really looking forward to the bus ride !! thinking of spending at least 1 nite there , maybe 2 . when we were in luxor last year went on a nile cruise , could'nt wait to get off !! missed luxor too much. we were the 1st people to get off there cruise early
Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samirasunshine
Member # 3523

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samirasunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know - luxor is just great isn't it?Glad you like the idea of El Gouna. I stayed at the Movenpick Hotel when I went there, it is totally gorgeous but to be honest, you can't go wrong with any of the hotels in El Gouna. Have you seen any of the adverts on UK Tv for the Red Sea Riveira? Well most of the footage from that is taken in El Gouna.Anyway, hope you have a great time in Luxor, Cairo etc. Let me know if you need any more info re Luxor/Coaches etc Take care. Samira Sunshine.
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you
i was wondering how much where from and what time the buses go . if you now it would be a great help. also the train to cairo is there 1 leaves on a sat nite ?
cheers
gary

kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for kashapops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gary.
I have travelled on the overnight sleeper train Luxor - Cairo mid week - it was great. Some one will clarify if it runs Saturday night. Take some thing warm to wear as the AC can be chilly!!!
I have stayed at the Oasis Hotel - it is lovely. As far as I remember it is situated on the main road into Cairo and we used one of the taxi men - we hired him for the day. The rooms are set in the garden - it really is an Oasis!
Ah I remember it well - sitting in the garden, the "flame" trees with there brilliant red flowers/leaves. (By the way does any one know the name of those trees?) And then I heard the call to prayed - it was a special moment!
Have fun!

Posts: 100 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
kashapops
thanx for your reply , you've made me even more wishing the time away till next wednesday. so happy i choose that hotel now !! can you remember what station (giza or cairo)you got of at and how far to the hotel it is , and how far the hotel to the pyramids ?

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[]

Hurghada vs El Guona.
I myself prefer Hurghada much more than El Guona.
El Guona is just a tourist resort with nothing real there.
Hurghada is a nice place where you can even meet some locals.
Hurghada has life around but if you just want luxurious hotels and the sea,beach,diving and golf than El Guona is the place but there you wont even know that you are in Egypt

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for kashapops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gary
We stayed at the Oasis the first time we visited Egypt - which is a about 18 months ago now. As far as I remember the Pyramids are only a very short drive away. At that time we flew into Cairo airport.Can't remember how long it took us from the airport as it was evening time, not far.
We have been back 4 times since and used the train from Luxor station to Cairo station. Not sure of the name but I think they only have one there and every body is so helpful - they will fill in the ? for you!!!
We are now starting to use the Egyptian run hotels. They are cheaper - which allows us to visit Egypt more often. Every time we visit we become a little more independent.
Have fun!

Posts: 100 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
were the same kasha. only been once so far but love to try and be as independent as poss.the more you return the more you learn i guess . went on a 4 nite cruise down to aswan last year,we were the first to leave the cruise early ever !!! just not us . had to bribe a train guard to get us back to luxor.first few days we were there wanted to come home all the hassle from the touts !! but then we figured ther only trying to earna living just the same as us then relaxed and loved every single minute cant wait till the 25 TH . really looking forward to cairo though the hotel sounds great and the pyramids will be .
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
kasha
could you tellme more about the egyptian run hotels you mentioned and what airline you book with ?

gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
thanks mimmi
thing your right and going to go to hurghada. dont mind the beach but like seeing sights too

kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Hi Gary
Oh I'm sorry you couldn't wait to get off the cruise ship!
We just love every thing about Egypt - Luxor we don't find a problem although I have experienced a few days when I just want to get back to the hotel room because I'm sick of some one saying "Ah you remember me - you are so beautiful" The girls on the forum will see the funny side of that! We usually walk on laughing and say "No I don't remember you and yes I know I am beautiful! it takes the wind out of their sails for a second!
We just follow our instinct - and so far it hasn't let us down.
We help at an orphanage in Luxor - so that is our staring point as we take items for them. We have had good deals when booking the previous flights which have included the hotels - but of course it is only the big name hotels. Which served a purpose at that time - but now it's independence!!!!
We like the St Joseph and book direct via email and fly with Egypt air from Heathrow as they allow us extra weight free for the orphanage.
Hope this helps

kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Forgot to say I have heard there is a Wednesday flight from Heathrow - I think it is British Midland or similar flight name - any how it is much cheaper
samirasunshine
Member # 3523

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samirasunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kashapops

I noticed from your email that you volunteer at the Sunshine Orphanage in Luxor. How did you get involved with that if you don't mind me asking?
I am currently in Luxor with my husband for a couple of months, he is Egyptian and wanted to spend time with his family bit am thinking of doing some voluntary work while I am here. Do you know of anyone that I can speak to about it? I did send an email but didn't get a reply. Would love to hear about your experiences volunteering there. I went there a couple of years ago and met the founder Pearl who was the most lovely lady
Any info would be appreciated!

gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
thats so bizzare you mentioning the orphanage kasha , we heard about it last year and wanted to take things this year ! .i tried to start a couple of business ventures recently one being a school wear shop and the other a sweet shop . i have stuff over and wondering if if sweets and school wear would be a suitable thing to take for them? the clothes arent labelled ie names and various colours. shorts skirts trousers sweatshirts etc. what do you reckon , should i take it all ? i just keep getting this strange vision of lots of egyptian kids walking about eating sweets in matching unifrom !!! lol

[This message has been edited by gary (edited 19 February 2004).]

kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member

In a hurry at the moment will reply as soon as I can - but the Orphanage is in Television Street.
Yes do take any thing you can - they are so lovely all the children
Pearl has been in the Uk undergoing treatment - I hope she will soon be better.

kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Ah more time now!
Samir - Gary - We got involved with the Sunshine Project in 2001 - After visiting Egypt we wanted to get involved with the ordinary people in the street. Any how I looked on the internet for a pen pal in Egypt - but couldn't find any thing but came across Sunshine International. I contacted them by mail and it took a while to get my police check done before I could help them. We did visit before I was given the all clear and met every one there.
If you go in to there web site you will see all the contact names etc.We did the 11 - 6pm shift and we help to feed them and play with educational toys. The children have to speak English when they are with the English and Egyptian with there native people.
They are grateful for any thing you take.
Some one also mentioned here that the children in the streets are in need of things - I do agree and we do our best to give things out - the problem is you think you have just a couple of children standing before you and in no time at all loads of kids appear - and then I feel sad because I don't have enough stuff to give them. We now visit two families in Egypt and call them "our" families, we take items for them and also give things out to the houses as we make our way to visit our friends. It some how works - well so far!

wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope Pearl is okay. I've only met her twice, she's a determined, proud woman but she looked so tired and weak.
http://www.sunshine-international.org

copy and paste this in.

I think it's Friday that visitors are discouraged from visiting.

I think the Oasis Hotel is nearer Giza than central Cairo.

If you get overnight sleeper from Luxor to Cairo, check it stops at Giza Station and get off there and taxi to hotel.

I'd suggest you and your friend stay in the twin bunk cabin. At least you'll get a sleep and take earplugs cos the train rattling on the tracks can be noisy. And a clothes peg or hair clip to close the curtains properly on your cabin window. You have your own washbasin. Toilet is down the corridor.

I can't sleep in a recliner chair which is how most tourists travel. Pay extra for bunk bed cabin, you get your dinner that night and your breakfast next morning brought in to you. It's fun!

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
very useful wise woman
i was all for going 1st class but after what you have said am booking the sleeper. do you also know if there is a sink in the cabin ? my fussy woman wants to wash her hair hehe. glad you also mentoined giza station was starting to wonder........

wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We used the bunk bed cabin (tossed many a coin to see who would get the bottom bed).
We felt like two kids in a wendy house!
We much preferred travelling overnight in a cabin than travelling in daytime seated.

There is a small basin with hot and cold water in our cabin, we just used it for washing hands and brushing teeth with bottled water. I would rather wash and dry my hair that afternoon in a hotel before boarding the evening train. Or wait until you arrive at your Cairo hotel.
Not sure if there is a power point in cabin for your travel hairdryer.

Your "fussy woman" will probably have a small travel size deodorant or body spray, handy to take with you to the toilet down the corridor. I took small toiletry bag with mini deodrant and pack of tissues. I too am a fussy woman.

You will be in for a slightly bumpy ride, remember those ear plugs and clip the curtains closed. When one of you is in top bunk, the other must remove the ladders and slide under the bed cos they'll shake and rattle in the night.

We booked our overnight sleeper cabin at a travel agent next to Old Winter Palace hotel on the main street of Luxor, facing the Nile. Jollies travel agency but there are others. They took our passports from us and returned them in 30 mins with our tickets. We arranged a taxi to take us to station, collect us at Giza, take us to hotel, book us into hotel (we chose the hotel beforehand) and same on return journey. We were very happy with the price and service.

We got off at Giza Station. I don't think this would have changed but please check when you book.

can I suggest 2 sites for you
http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm

which shows photos of the recliner seats and the cabin, I can vouch for the accuracy of the photos of the cabin, you can sit in it when you arrive for dinner then the attendant comes in evening and converts it into beds. I'm easily amused by this.
Drinks can be brought to your cabin, not included in price though. You can see washbasin in the photo on this site.

According to the site overnight sleeper from Luxor to Cairo is £35 one way per person. But the rate of exchange is ever changing, it may work out cheaper now.

2nd site
http://www.sleepingtrains.com

I really hope you enjoy your adventure and you must post back.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can book your own ticket for the sleeper train at the station in Luxor very easily. There is a separate window just for sleeper bookings.
Myself and my friend took the sleeper to Cairo last year. The beds are very comfortable, and the sheets were spotless. Dinner was very similar to airline meals, so think Brittania or Monarch, and you have dinner. Breakfast was ok.
We didnt sleep much, but we did have a lot of fun. Wisewoman is right, the noise can be a problem, but its a train, so its to be expected. The small vanity unit with sink is perfectly adequate, but I wouldnt want to be attempting to wash my hair in it.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kashapops
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for kashapops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Wise-woman for posting those web sites regarding the trains - Full of useful information.

gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
thanks for your reply wishwoman
took me straight back to luxor when you started to explain where you booked your trip (jollies) we used the guy a bit further along ( cheops ) to book our nile cruise ! another story!!! did you ever compare the price of your tour rep tour and 1 you could arrange yourself from jollies ? what a difference !! i remember our tour rep 1 hour camel ride £10 english , cheops £10 egyptian !! madness !. only got another 3 days to wait now and we'll be on our way to gatwick. so glad this is not our first visit know what to expect and where to go this time and to think we still wont have enough time to do it all . what a country ! yes i will certainly post when i get back . looking forward to doing karnak light show again , did it last year but had a camcorder stuck in me eye all the way through so missed it all . and it came out bad too . no doubt will post again before i go thanks for yours

[This message has been edited by gary (edited 21 February 2004).]

gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
oops wrong place

[This message has been edited by gary (edited 22 February 2004).]

mydream
Member # 4638

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for mydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gary
can you tell me how you booked the Oasis Hotel - via the net?
We want to stay there independently and I'm still a bit unsure about booking stuff over the net!
We are also arriving late in the evening and I'm a bit concerned they may not hold the room
Any advice welcome for a novice net user

Posts: 97 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com