EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » PHONE CALLS FROM EGYPT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PHONE CALLS FROM EGYPT
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coming to luxor for the 2nd time on the 25/2/04 . we live in the uk and are both on the vodaphone network. we phone the uk once a day whilst were over in egypt last year we phoned from a call box using a phone card to a mobile phone in england . does anyone know the cheapest way to phone a uk mobile number ? our mobiles are vodaphone and the uk mobile is vodaphone
Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mobile to mobile isnt cheap Gary..... phone cards are usually cheaper than using your mobile. But if you are on vodaphone, if its a contract, you can have the international option, which means you can send text messages for a fraction of the normal cost. I think about 34p each (but dont quote me on that). I have a Vodaphone, and use it all the time when I am in Egypt, but would never use it to phone unless it was an emergency.
If you call Vodaphone, or your contract provider they will give your their rates for international usage. And Vodaphone to Vodaphone is always cheaper.
Oh! And you do need to make sure that your network provider gives you access to international usage.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanx for reply shareen
i know my girlfriend spent alot on cards last year but from what you say think that will still be the cheapest way . at least you now where you are with them , when they run out your broke !

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 5 year old mobile phone (not exactly a brick but not exactly compact either). BT 02 is my network.

When in Egypt, I can text my friends to their various phones, for 12 pence per text.
I always check call price after I've sent text. I'm always surprised that it costs the same as it does back home.
(unless it costs them to receive it?!?)

It costs about £4 Sterling on my mobile to phone home for 50 seconds when in Egypt. I usually make quick call on mobile to say I've arrived safely and give them my room/cabin number.

I prefer to use Menatel yellow green phone card in Egypt. There's always a Menatel phone booth nearby.
Always check it's in clear sealed wrapper and says International on reverse.
I think lowest one is LE20 Egyptian.
I bought a LE10 card once but couldn't phone UK with it.

P.S. take me to Egypt with you next week!

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for that wise woman of to get a o2 sim 2moro
AylaLake
Member # 6269

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AylaLake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wise_woman:
[B]BT 02 is my network.

When in Egypt, I can text my friends to their various phones, for 12 pence per text.
I always check call price after I've sent text. B]

I am also on O2, with a contract. I would only need to send texts home to the UK. Can you please explain the significance of buying an Egyptian card? Is it to make local calls? I am travelling solo, so wouldn't have anyone to communicate with in Egypt. Sorry, this seems such a dumb question.

Posts: 12 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Gary, Its actually cheaper to phone mobile to mobile if you do the right thing. It rather depends how much you want to use your phone, whether you need to be in "mobile communication" at all times, and whether you want the convenience of phoning from a quiet place or the street.

If you are vodaphone you go into a phone shop and buy a "pay as you go" line and credit for around 22 quid and you will get around lO quids worth of talk time before you buy another card for ll5 Egyptian.

With this you get the convenience of phoning anytime and receiving calls anytime, and you can send texts at about five pence a time from Egypt. The cost of actual calls works out cheaper than using Menatel cards. With an Egyptian line you also have the convenience of phoning for trusted taxi drivers.

Unfortunately after a couple of months the cards expire if they are not recharged, so if you have an egyptian friend just give the card to him and he will make use of the line. Its well worth the l2 quid it costs you for the line at the beginning. Charlie

Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com