EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » how much of liquor?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how much of liquor?
blondy25
Member # 3849

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blondy25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

how much of liquor and cigarettes one is allowed to bring with him in egypt?

Posts: 50 | From: Denamrk | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nesrine
Member # 3861

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Nesrine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blondy25:

how much of liquor and cigarettes one is allowed to bring with him in egypt?

can you not live without that???

Posts: 47 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MotherEgypt
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MotherEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard that liquer is frowned upon. But Beer and wine are good locally. I thought it may be best to bring some with from duty-free. It's nice to have a cocktail in the room on occasion.
Posts: 53 | From: cape may, NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are a tourist bring as much as you like in your suitcase and buy more at Duty Free if you want.

The selection at Duty Free sometimes is really bad, so if you are picky, bring what you like with you. No one is going to bother you about some booze.

Cigarettes will be significantly cheaper here, so you might not want to bring a lot in with you.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 26 March 2004).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Debbie, Are there recommended liquers or wines, local to Egypt, to be purchased in Cairo.
Posts: 53 | From: cape may, NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sybyrite:
Hi Debbie, Are there recommended liquers or wines, local to Egypt, to be purchased in Cairo.

There are NO liquers "local to Egypt" that you should be putting in your body unless you prefer a body bag to take you home in. DO NOT DRINK the locally made liquor. Got it? If you want rum, gin, whiskey or whatever, buy it at Duty Free or bring it in with you, or pay more for a 5* hotel to serve it to you. That is the ONLY way to get a "cocktail" in Egypt.

As for wine, there are some that are made here that are ok. They aren't award winning and if you are picky at all, you'll bring your own from your country or buy some French or Italian at the airport in Duty Free again....but if you run out, go with any of the Grand Marquis wines and they aren't too bad. After a bottle or two of something decent have a go at Omar Kayam red...you won't notice the difference if you've had enough of the good stuff first. LOL

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondy25
Member # 3849

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blondy25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
If you are a tourist bring as much as you like in your suitcase and buy more at Duty Free if you want.

The selection at Duty Free sometimes is really bad, so if you are picky, bring what you like with you. No one is going to bother you about some booze.

Cigarettes will be significantly cheaper here, so you might not want to bring a lot in with you.

thank you debbie, so you mean that there is no limit for the amount?

much thanks for help

Posts: 50 | From: Denamrk | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no liquor in Egypt,but in the rural countryside the people make a low-alcholic brew called booza. This probably is ancestrial to the brew in ancient Egypt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with locally made liquors?
Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are used to preserve the Mummies.
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically there are liquor limits but they don't bother you much about them. If you can't keep a straight face and look like a tourist when you arrive, then don't sneak any in and just go for what is available in Duty Free. They will limit you to the legal limits.

As for the local liquor, it sends people home in Body Bags. Do you really need to know more?

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by GiggleGirl (edited 29 March 2004).]

Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
So how reasonably priced are the cigarettes? Duty free usually has carton, 10 packs, for $20-$25. for American cigarettes. Are they lower in Cairo?
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Egyptian made Marboro's are like LE5 a pack so that would be just under a dollar still. Maybe they aren't as good as the U.S. made ones, but they aren't that bad considering how cheap they are.
NOxReducer
Member # 3836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOxReducer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the Egyptian made Marboro's are like LE5 a pack so that would be just under a dollar still. Maybe they aren't as good as the U.S. made ones, but they aren't that bad considering how cheap they are.

Honestly I dont really notice a difference between US made Marlboro's and the Egyptian made ones, they are both equally awful, that's why luckily there are Camels...not in egypt though...

Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondy25
Member # 3849

Rate Member
quote:

thanks for the answers.. this is alot of help

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am not drinking or smoking (I used to do both though) so I can't give any advise in this topic....

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

I am not drinking or smoking (I used to do both though) so I can't give any advise in this topic....

Why do you bother to say anything then?? It seems a bit pointless to post something when you haven't got anything to say about the actual topic don't you think?

[This message has been edited by GiggleGirl (edited 01 April 2004).]

redsea
Member # 3150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
[b] Why do you bother to say anything then?? It seems a bit pointless to post something when you haven't got anything to say about the actual topic don't you think?

LOL GG

[This message has been edited by redsea (edited 01 April 2004).]

Posts: 88 | From: egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redsea:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
[b] Why do you bother to say anything then?? It seems a bit pointless to post something when you haven't got anything to say about the actual topic don't you think?

LOL GG

[This message has been edited by redsea (edited 01 April 2004).]

Well? It's true. What's the point. I see too much of her name as it is.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
Why do you bother to say anything then?? It seems a bit pointless to post something when you haven't got anything to say about the actual topic don't you think?

GG - Gotta say, you are right on with this one. I was wondering the exact same thing. Lily, what was the point of letting us all know that you don't drink or smoke? Just can't let a string go past without putting your name on it somehow? Good grief!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good then, Debbie, are you scared I am writing too many posts? Don't worry, I am just up to a little over 300....

But to make my point. I never saw any foreigners bringing alcohol in. Alcohol in general is cheap in Egypt and so are cigarettes.

You can have as much as you want in quantities and you can have as much fun as you want to have over there - if thats whats your desire is .....

Well I put these days behind me - and I don't even have to count any more shoes ........

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 02 April 2004).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carina
Member # 3843

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for carina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Good then, Debbie, are you scared I am writing too many posts? Don't worry, I am just up to a little over 300....

But to make my point. I never saw any foreigners bringing alcohol in. Alcohol in general is cheap in Egypt and so are cigarettes.

You can have as much as you want in quantities and you can have as much fun as you want to have over there - if thats whats your desire is .....

Well I put these days behind me - and I don't even have to count any more shoes ........

the question was why you bother to write when you have nothing to say???? do you understand?? lool :

you are strange

Posts: 62 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by carina:
the question was why you bother to write when you have nothing to say???? do you understand?? lool :

you are strange

Just answered you on another post: What do you have to say? Haven't even been to the country, right?

And if thats all (cigarettes und drinks) what tourists are interested in when coming to Egypt ......

carina
Member # 3843

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for carina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[b] Just answered you on another post: What do you have to say? Haven't even been to the country, right?

And if thats all (cigarettes und drinks) what tourists are interested in when coming to Egypt ......

no iam not yet to the country, iam going in summer and we ask about all, not only cigarettes and alchol, we are free to ask but when you have nothing to say just keep quiet

[

[This message has been edited by carina (edited 02 April 2004).]

Posts: 62 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondy25
Member # 3849

Rate Member
quote:
Just answered you on another post: What do you have to say? Haven't even been to the country, right?

i dont think thats all if you look at the rest of questions but may be you dont know how to look. you dont have anything to say here in this topic so go write in the rest about what you know ..

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Lily....Yes, OMG, I was scared. No, terrified! I was shaking in my boots.
Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
For someone that originally said this:
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily: I am not drinking or smoking (I used to do both though) so I can't give any advise in this topic...

You sure came up with a lot more to say on the same topic when you posted this:

quote:

What happened between post #1 and post #2?

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
debbie you are clearly mistaken because she never saw it and she's lived in egypt 3 years. and you've only lived in egypt...oh. never mind.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
debbie you are clearly mistaken because she never saw it and she's lived in egypt 3 years. and you've only lived in egypt...oh. never mind.

LOL... yeah, I know. Sorry, my mistake.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com