EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » LUXOR (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LUXOR
Tally
Member # 3602

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Tally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to those who replied to my message, just returned home after 2 lovely weeks and found 2 of my friends but no trace of the other two.Had no problems, just the usual hassle for first few days then it all became calm.Hotel was perfect and very good, fully reccomend it.
Was alarmed to hear of some of the exploits of some of the felluca men, but thenits like everywere else in the world money blinds peoples senses.
Still in love with egypt itself, and did see my x husband but after a few stressful moments all was calm.
Was surprised to see houses that were being built on the west bank near pharonic village had been knocked down, ws told by capt from police it was due to government saying they couldnt build therer and they lost all there money.
Word of warning for anyone going and using a felluca heard alot of bad reports about a boat called gypsey rose and its owner youssef mohammed, best not use it if you are in luxor

and no i dont know this man, just what was told by various persons including the police

Posts: 18 | From: ENGLAND | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a lovely holiday. The area where the villas were knocked down is really spooky at night. Now that most of the heaps of rubble are surrounded by water, it freaked me out. The area is all governmeent land and people were on the surface of it stupid for building on it - but many have papers saying that they could build. Lawyers !!! You are right poverty does strange things to people's morals.

Always take care over the felucca men - to them everyhing is business. I would love to know what Mohammed has been up to.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol Luxorlover..
So you know Yousef too?? Hmmmm it doesnt take much imagination to guess what he has been up to...

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Lol Luxorlover..
So you know Yousef too?? Hmmmm it doesnt take much imagination to guess what he has been up to...

Please clue in the rest of us!

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13 days to go and than I'll taste the special dry and warm Luxor air again.

Looking forward to it.

[This message has been edited by Dirk (edited 18 June 2004).]

Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tally
Member # 3602

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Tally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Youssef has apparently lost his flat that was built on the west bank near pharoinic village, spent alot of other peoples money on it , now its to be knocked down. However he hasnt told this to his wife in england or the one in usa... need i say more.when there a tourguide from sharm el sheik was having problems and was trying to get her money back, another marriage and another sad story.. think she was no 9 or 10. dont need to say anymore.
Posts: 18 | From: ENGLAND | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for neelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tally:
Youssef has apparently lost his flat that was built on the west bank near pharoinic village, spent alot of other peoples money on it , now its to be knocked down. However he hasnt told this to his wife in england or the one in usa... need i say more.when there a tourguide from sharm el sheik was having problems and was trying to get her money back, another marriage and another sad story.. think she was no 9 or 10. dont need to say anymore.

So Yousef has come unstuck??

I warned his English 'wife' last year what he was up to but she decided to forgive him because she loves him !!! Its his Egyptian wife I sympathise with, unless she has been to the same school of acting that he has she is completely unaware and is passed off as his sister if the need arises....If these women choose to contribute to Egypts economy by this method then let them get on with it..If the Tour Guide is the one I am thinking of then she should have known better.

I am sorry he has lost his house...he really worked had at the only job he is qualified to do..none of us have had our backs to the wall to the extent that the Egyptians have and if they want a better standard of living then it could be argued that the end justifies the means..He kept other people in work..ie The builders etc.
Who are we to judge???

[This message has been edited by neelie (edited 28 June 2004).]

Posts: 12 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tally:
Word of warning for anyone going and using a felluca heard alot of bad reports about a boat called gypsey rose and its owner youssef mohammed, best not use it if you are in luxor

and no i dont know this man, just what was told by various persons including the police

You seem to know an awful lot about this man for someone you dont even know Tally.. if what you are repeating here is hearsay, then maybe it would be better if you didnt say anything. Not that I am defending Yousef, I have known him for a long time now, but I wouldnt repeat hearsay gossip about him.

quote:
originally posted by Tally Youssef has apparently lost his flat that was built on the west bank near pharoinic village, spent alot of other peoples money on it , now its to be knocked down. However he hasnt told this to his wife in england or the one in usa... need i say more.when there a tourguide from sharm el sheik was having problems and was trying to get her money back, another marriage and another sad story.. think she was no 9 or 10. dont need to say anymore.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for neelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hear! Hear! Shareen

Please don't encourage tourists to boycott his felluca Tally. He is no different in this way to any other felluca man or Caleche driver. Yousefs customer service skills can not be bettered and he has to earn a living. Next time you are in Luxor go along for a trip on Gypsy Rose, you will be pleasently suprised...and make sure you have a meal...his cooking is excellent.

Posts: 12 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neelie:
I am sorry he has lost his house...he really worked had at the only job he is qualified to do..none of us have had our backs to the wall to the extent that the Egyptians have and if they want a better standard of living then it could be argued that the end justifies the means..He kept other people in work..ie The builders etc.
Who are we to judge??? [This message has been edited by neelie (edited 28 June 2004).]

You know what though? I vacationed in the Fiji Islands, where half those people don't even have *electricity*. They would be thrilled to live in the some of the places I saw in Egypt. Yet even tipping there is considered to be rude - never mind begging tourists for money, and all else that goes on. So I don't buy the economic hardship argument.

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, as one of those people who unknowlingly financed one of those illegally built villas on the West BAnk (not Yousef's) , I would like to see the lot of them pulled down. For those that do not know the villas were knocked down by the government because they were built on government land without permission. Technically the site is an archeological one (althoug the reason they were knocked down is still hotly disputed).

As for the cheating and the multi marriages - there are more honest ways of making a living than taking part in the "cheap meat" trade as I have heard it described.

If it is the truth, then the warning about this man was a good one. If some women were able to resist his pledges of undying love and managed to remain above it all (and did not enter a marriage or have one night stands with him) then well done. Perhaps the women who lost their money did deserve it, (that is a matter of oninion) but the fact that he apparently took money from so many hardly makes him an honest man whose reputation needs protecting.

If this warning stops even one woman from losing her money and her self-respect then so be it.

I would like to see many more warnings like this. Yes he has to make a living and it is obvious how he has been earning his.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 29 June 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
PS: Girls ----- would you believe it ??? I had a desperate phone call from my ex this morning pledging undying love and devotion and a promise to change and not "sleep with womans" anymore.

I have had him put in jail three times, I have taken the business away from him and thrown him out - yet he loves me?

Did I just see a piggy flying by.

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luxor Lover

I hope people to take note of your warnings. So many horror stories.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
PS: Girls ----- would you believe it ??? I had a desperate phone call from my ex this morning pledging undying love and devotion and a promise to change and not "sleep with womans" anymore.

I have had him put in jail three times, I have taken the business away from him and thrown him out - yet he loves me?

A pig in Egypt, nah must have been a donkey.

But doesn't it give you something to know he still feels like this about you. After all you were not totally conned because he did care? that part was true

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I posted that note on two lines just to make sure you all saw it. Care for me? Nah .. I still have that 50 piastra note. Business is business. I was good a client !!!! Now he has to work for a living. Poor lamb !! He obviously does not like having to get up before 1.30 pm.
neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carleen:
You know what though? I vacationed in the Fiji Islands, where half those people don't even have *electricity*. They would be thrilled to live in the some of the places I saw in Egypt. Yet even tipping there is considered to be rude - never mind begging tourists for money, and all else that goes on. So I don't buy the economic hardship argument.

aybe you don't buy it because you haven't experienced it. Egyptians (the ones we are disscussing) don't have the where-with-all to go to the Fiji Isles to learn how to behave, The Fijians are unable to raise the fare to go to Egypt. We in the west are lucky to be able to go to most places and compare the differences.
I am not condoning this dishonest behaviour, just asking for people to empathise and not pass judgement.--- A mile in your shoes and all that--- I am sorry if the people who have got caught up in it have been hurt. At least the ones who have lost money can always go home and earn some more,a luxury not extended to the fellahin. and I don't mean that to be as flippant as it sounds.

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
aybe you don't buy it because you haven't experienced it. Egyptians (the ones we are disscussing) don't have the where-with-all to go to the Fiji Isles to learn how to behave, The Fijians are unable to raise the fare to go to Egypt. We in the west are lucky to be able to go to most places and compare the differences.
I am not condoning this dishonest behaviour, just asking for people to empathise and not pass judgement.--- A mile in your shoes and all that--- I am sorry if the people who have got caught up in it have been hurt. At least the ones who have lost money can always go home and earn some more,a luxury not extended to the fellahin. and I don't mean that to be as flippant as it sounds.

I really did not want to post here for simple reasons as 1) I have not been to Egypt and I will never get involved things like that NEVER 2) I do not support promuscuity on both sides, but I do want to speak in defence of Carleen's post. ECONOMIC HARDSHIP IS NOT an EXCUSE and END DOES NOT JUSTIFY the MEANS even if you have to starve in life. and Yes I can talk about that.

Just assuming that Carleen is American and therefore she has not experienced economic hardship in life is very presumptious. She does not have to reveal her personal life details. But most importantly in America success depends on your drive, smarts, and persistance for the most part, it is an expectation in this society. We have plenty of cases of people achieving tremendous success against great odds in life and starting from sctratch with nothing but an idea and a dream.

Do you think a man can simply roll up his sleeves and work instead of using women?

How about women, do they respect themselves for being part of such enterprises?

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 29 June 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
I really did not want to post here for simple reasons as 1) I have not been to Egypt and I will never get involved things like that NEVER 2) I do not support promuscuity on both sides, but I do want to speak in defence of Carleen's post. ECONOMIC HARDSHIP IS NOT an EXCUSE and END DOES NOT JUSTIFY the MEANS even if you have to starve in life. and Yes I can talk about that.

Just assuming that Carleen is American and therefore she has not experienced economic hardship in life is very presumptious. She does not have to reveal her personal life details. But most importantly in America success depends on your drive, smarts, and persistance for the most part, it is an expectation in this society. We have plenty of cases of people achieving tremendous success against great odds in life and starting from sctratch with nothing but an idea and a dream.

Do you think a man can simply roll up his sleeves and work instead of using women?

How about your women, do you respect yourself being part of such enterprises?

YES! Katrina I really do think a man, or a woman should roll up their sleeeves and work. But there is no work!!! That is what I am trying to say. To have a capitalist society people have to have money to purchase the goods or services that are on offer!!!!
You say you have never been to Egypt. In which case I don't mean to be rude but you really have to see the situation before you can comment. I repeat, I DO NOT CONDONE THIS BEHAVIOUR. But I can empathise with the situation that causes it.

There is an old saying that you have to have your socks on before you can pull them up!!! Well very few people in Egypt wear socks !!!!

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by neelie:
There is an old saying that you have to have your socks on before you can pull them up!!! Well very few people in Egypt wear socks !!!!

----------------------------------

Well said neelie... there is just now way you can judge Egypt from a capitalist view point. Like you I do not agree with these mens behaviour but I do understand it and the desperation that gives rise to it.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
YES! Katrina I really do think a man, or a woman should roll up their sleeeves and work. But there is no work!!! That is what I am trying to say. To have a capitalist society people have to have money to purchase the goods or services that are on offer!!!!
You say you have never been to Egypt. In which case I don't mean to be rude but you really have to see the situation before you can comment. I repeat, I DO NOT CONDONE THIS BEHAVIOUR. But I can empathise with the situation that causes it.

I walked those shoes, wore the socks, had holes in them and pain from walking but my head up high with dignity. I am talking from a practical not theoretical perspective. Besides, no excuse for a man to cry and use women under any circustances and turn himself in the creature that does not deserve any pity. Sorry

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Sorry Neelie but I also defend Carleen's post. I cannot and never will condone outright theft and anyone selling their body for the highest offer. Poverty does not make a man a prostitute that bats for both sides. Do the men inprove their lives with what they make on the 'game' - seldom - for some reason the money often goes straight through their fingers.

There are members of my ex partner's family who would lie down and die before they would sell their bodies to anyone. If they were starving they would not steal. These are the true people of Egypt. I am sorry that you feel that poverty is an excuse for totally dishonesty - but I don't.

This has nothing to do with my own circumstance because I was not stupid enough to lose more than I could afford, but I cannot just go back to England and earn it again like Neelie said. Those days are long gone. I am too sick to do that and so the comment was both stupid and arrogant so I shall ignore it.

My partner had more from me (stolen) than he could have earned in five lifetimes - what good has it done him. Very little. He has lost his God and now considers himself damned to the eternal fires. I split from him two years ago and he is still desperate for me to take him back - because it makes his life easier, not because he cares.

I would do everything I did again - I had always made that quite clear - as my life is richer for having come to Egypt. But, I cannot understand the drive that makes an 18 year old boy sleep with a 78 year old woman (known fact - know the case) instead of working in the fields alongside his father. Is a mobie phone and a pair of new trainers worth selling his soul for.

A man who I know on the West Bank was paying five different boys a day to let him perform oral sex on them. He had a queue round the block. No, poverty is not a good enough excuse and there are too many evil men about who will take advantage of it. The GayEgypt site even catalogues the cafes etc where the boys are known to be 'willing'.

Do you also extend that argument to the inner city boys in London who break into people's homes and steal everything in sight because there is poverty and they cannot get a job ?? Do you think that women in Bradford should stand on street corners because they cannot afford the latest mobile. I am sure you don't.

I shall get off my high horse now, and crawl back into my cage.

Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
quote:

I'm not sure I understand your point. Yes, Fijians don't have the money to vacation in Egypt. That was *my* point, that they are just as poor, if not poorer, than the Egyptians we're talking about, but do not reduce themselves to using tourists to make ends meet.

And I don't need to pass judgement against these guys - their god will. But that doesn't mean that I have to patronize their business.

neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
quote:
I'm not sure I understand your point. Yes, Fijians don't have the money to vacation in Egypt. That was *my* point, that they are just as poor, if not poorer, than the Egyptians we're talking about, but do not reduce themselves to using tourists to make ends meet.

And I don't need to pass judgement against these guys - their god will. But that doesn't mean that I have to patronize their business.

Sorry Carleen if I did not make myself clear, I will try again.

What I am trying to emphasize is the difference in peopls standards which you made clear are in fact THAT, differences! Can I also say (at the risk of repeating myself) I DO NOT CONDONE THIS BEHAVIOUR.
I am just trying not to judge using Western standards.

It is a completely different thing to the incidents mentioned in the UK beause (assuming we have the right to judge)we can apply Western Standards.

I don't assume the goings on on the West Bank with the peodophile are confined to Luxor and by any standards they are abohorent. I also class a 78yr old woman having sex with a teenager as abohorent with shades of peodophilier thrown in. I would certainly blame her more than him wherever in the world its happening.
What I trying to get across is if there were factories or similiar places for people to work and earn an HONEST living then we could apply different standards when judging.

LOL that even sounds more confusing.

Please don't call me stupid, if you disagree with my point of view, thats fine but I did not dish out personal insults to anyone and don't expect them in return.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no experience of Luxor and can only talk about what I see time after time in Sharm .... Women of a certain age basically buying themselves a young man... they buy him a flat, a car,a business, to a certain extent yes there is devious behaviour... he may tell her it is not possible to own a flat or business in her name. He may just hang around and have a nice time until the money runs out or she wakes up to the situation... it may be worse he may abscond with the lot. It is just made way too easy for these young men. They have a choice, work for LE200 a month if they are lucky or take what is freely on offer.With little prospect of any real improvement in their lives, no career ladder to climb, no further education freely available yes it is so easy for the weak minded to sucumb. I find it hard to understand why any women, who has lived a little, has some experience of life, maybe children herself, would take away the dignity of these young men. She would not want somebody to do it to her own son so why do it to someone elses.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
As I see it, if women have found their way to this forum, then they have already been burned, or they will have read enough to put them on their guard when they visit Egypt, particularly the resort areas.
Therefore I think it is pointless to repeat gossip about anyone.
I agree with Neelie..... all the felucca men have to make a living and Gypsy Rose is a good boat. Yousef is a good captain and yes, his food is great! I wont speak about his morals, he is just the same as the majority of Luxors felucca men, so if anyone thinks he should be boycotted, then you might as well boycott the whole of the Luxor felucca fleet!
And the caleches, and the taxis, and the cruise boats (cos all the barmen and waiters are at it as well) and the guides, etc etc etc

I agree with Luxorlover when it comes to a huge age difference, I just hate to see it, and all you want to do is go up to the women and just tell them...... wake up! But they wouldnt listen, they dont want to listen.

And I really cannot condemn any of them for wanting a better life for themselves, I just wish they could do it more honestly.

For those of you who dont understand how women get caught up in these relationships, you obviously havent been there. Only when you have, can you begin to understand, and only then can you become judge and jury.

Lol, just my twopennorth!

neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for neelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Penny and Shareen. Exactly what I was trying to say, and put much more eloquently.

------------------
Striving for courage to change the things I can, serenity to accept the things I can't and wisdom to know the difference.

Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
quote:
Please don't call me stupid, if you disagree with my point of view, thats fine but I did not dish out personal insults to anyone and don't expect them in return.

Umm, the thought never crossed my mind. I don't know why you thought it would.

As is so happens, I completely disagree with you. But that's why I come to this forum - to hear other viewpoints, and well as state my own.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A pig in Egypt, nah must have been a donkey.

But doesn't it give you something to know he still feels like this about you. After all you were not totally conned because he did care? that part was true

Jane, you must be joking! Do you really buy that he cares? I think LL is more on target with the thoughts that he just wants his life to be easier and he'll say damn near anything to try to make that happen. Please tell me you were joking!

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted by Shareen:-

For those of you who dont understand how women get caught up in these relationships, you obviously havent been there. Only when you have, can you begin to understand, and only then can you become judge and jury.
----------------------------------------
And even then we don't need to judge, we just need to accept that everyone makes mistakes in life and that is how we grow as people and become wiser. If we all lived a perfect life and got everything right 100% then I think we did not really live.
-------------------------------------------
Posted by neelie:-

Striving for courage to change the things I can, serenity to accept the things I can't and wisdom to know the difference.

Every now and then somebody writes some words that really touch me. These will stay with me... thanks neelie

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
I totally agree Penny... life would be pretty boring without mistakes, and without them how would we ever learn?
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Carleen, Shareen, Penny, I agree with you entirely. There is a more honest way. What these men do not seem to realise is that if they were more honest then they would get far more.

My ex is trying to get a toe back in the door because he knows that I am far from broke and that if he had played it better then he would eventually have been a 'rich' man in Egyptian terms. His dishonesty got him a villa. His dishonesty lost him everything else. It is the same for most of these men. What they do is not because of poverty entirely (for those who have travelled will know that Egypt is far from the poorest country in Africa) a lot of it is to do with greed. To accept what one woman gives you has some dignity to it; to then add another ten is quite different.

I was the one who used the word stupid. (If it offended then I will choose another word). It was in answer to the suggestion that it was easy to replace the money that has been lost. One of my friends has lost £250,000 sterling. That takes some earning back !!!

I cannot earn back the money I lost. But, fortunately money never had that much importance to me. (by the way I worked for every penny I had and none of it came from my husband).

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 30 June 2004).]

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the greed's the part that I cannot understand... They have so much to gain by staying with one woman and building a life with her. People often write here about the intelligence of these men V lack of education, but in the end they so often prove themselves to be just plain stupid.

I was so very shocked that your friend lost £250,000 when you translate that into Egyptian monetary value that is a huge amount of money. I am so very sorry for your friend.

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I think that few realise just what sums of money are involved sometimes. A few thousand here or there has to be lived with but .. £250,000.

She had been married to the man for five years and they were in business together. Then the profits stoped coming in. When she checked on everything most of it had disappeared and everything that she thought was theirs turned out to be his. She proved through the court that she had paid for it all and won her case but she accepted a promise of restitution rather than going for retribution. He has given her nothing and it will take her another five years to chase him for it. I think that she has to accept that the money has gone.

I have another friend who has lost £100,000 (sterling). Again she was with her husband for several years before she got in really deep. She sold her house in England and bought a couple of flats in Luxor, plus a bazaar, etc. End of story. He has everything she has nothing. She now lives in a council flat in England that she cannot afford to furnish. Her 'husband' has now gone back to his Egyptian wife and children. They will have a good life that most in England can only dream about. She is starting a court case against him but I think she has very little chance of getting anything back.

That is hardly the same as a 'felucca' boy getting a few extra pounds out of someone for good cooking and services rendered but what he can make out of ten women adds up to a small fortune. He will still work as a felucca boy - but he will no longer be a poor one.

The women were stupid - yes. But, it takes a particular mentally and a particularly callous man to rob a woman of everything she has including her dignity and then just move on to the next one.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
I too have a friend who lost a substantial amount of money. She gave it willingly to provide a home for herself and her husband. Now she has neither. If he had been good to her, he could have had it all, she loved him without question, but whatever she had was never enough for him.
To this day, she still tells me... all he had to do was treat me with respect and he could have had the life he always wanted.

"The women were stupid - yes. But, it takes a particular mentally and a particularly callous man to rob a woman of everything she has including her dignity and then just move on to the next one."

So true..... and there are way too many of these type of men around.

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
quote:

it takes a particular mentally and a particularly callous man to rob a woman of everything she has including her dignity and then just move on to the next one.

a leech and a parasite

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The people you describe are not considered "MEN". Please understand that, within the Egyptian culture.
REAL MEN do not take money from women.

LL::: Why keep any contact with 'sick' people that hurt you badly. did you consider changing your telephone number?

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I too have a friend who lost a substantial amount of money. She gave it willingly to provide a home for herself and her husband. Now she has neither. If he had been good to her, he could have had it all, she loved him without question, but whatever she had was never enough for him.
To this day, she still tells me... all he had to do was treat me with respect and he could have had the life he always wanted.

"The women were stupid - yes. But, it takes a particular mentally and a particularly callous man to rob a woman of everything she has including her dignity and then just move on to the next one."

So true..... and there are way too many of these type of men around.

Funnily enough I was talking with my brother in law about this very subject last night. He was actually married to a Westerner but sadly she died of cancer. His family don't know about her but he likes to talk about her, she meant a lot to him so he told me about her a long time ago.

I was asking him why did boys (he is considerably younger than my husband) get involved in Western women. Was it a visa, sex or money? He said it wasn't a visa because even if you were married you didn't always get one. And people didn't want to leav Egypt. Maybe a few really young boys but mostly they wanted to stay here. They wanted money because there was no other way of getting on. To have a bit of money from a Western women meant suddenly you could hve a good life. He told me stories of friends of his that had married a Western and got money of them. Some had used it to send sublings to school and grduate. Others for health care. Some just for food or putting electricity in the home.

What did he think of men that then dumped them. He thought this was really bad because if Allah gave you a gift like this them you should treat the woman well. She was from Allah. He seemed to know of many families where there was a Western wife of long standing (often with an Egytian co-wife).

He also mentioned there were different kinds of Western women people like me who were good women(thank heavens for that I wold hate to be in the other categories). He said how my daughter and I had come to there home many years ago before I married Mahmoud and how nice we had been to them and how much they liked us. Then he said there were the 'disco women' who come to drink and party and then the 'lonely women' who want a man and are prepared to pay.

But sadly he also knew of many men that treated women badly. He told of a story where a friend of his was introduced to a woman friend of his wifes. They started a relationship and subsequently when she was coming over again he asked if she was bringing money. She told her friend who spoke to my brother in law. He was asked to intervene but said it was not his business. I found this attitude interesting it would seem that they do not feel any responsiblity it is purely between the man and woman.

But this is where it comes down to the Western woman. She did come out with the money. And still does !!!!!! He tells her how much to bring and if she hasn't got it he tells her not to bother coming as he is only interested in her money. He is completely upfront about it and she accepts it.

He was also telling me of many relationships between really young boys late teens/early twenties and women of 70/80. These boys are quite happy to do anything for what they can get. Also gays. Apparently he will not go to the disco alone because if he does all the gay men approach him. He only goes when he has tourists and they want to go. Many boys again will go with gays for money. He found that bad and again got religious about it saying it was against Allah.

It was a very illuminating conversation.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mydream
Member # 4638

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by akshar:
[B] Funnily enough I was talking with my brother in law about this very subject last night. He was actually married to a Westerner but sadly she died of cancer. His family don't know about her but he likes to talk about her, she meant a lot to him so he told me about her a long time ago.

Akshar - It's very sad the lady died - but you didn't mention if your brother in law admitted taking money from her? Or do we assume he did? Do you beleive every thing he tells you? These questions popped into my head when reading your thread.

Posts: 97 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Dear Jane

Sounds to me your brother in Law tells it like it is and gives an honest appraisal of what is happening. So sad that he lost his English wife but I feel sure her life was enriched by the time she had with him.
It is interesting how the Egyptians will not intervine in any of these situations, where probably we would, but this is something I am comming to respect and understand. I believe it comes from the Koran?

Is it me or does Egypt have an effect ( or is it affect) on your spelling after being here a while??

Have a good day Penny

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
It is not my spelling it is my typing on this laptop keyboard. lol And if I get carried away with what I am writing I don't notice errors.

Yes he did take money from this lady, though not a lot. Certainly not enough for mobile phones, houses and cars like some do.

I do beleive what he had to say because he is not the only person I have heard stories like this from. Many of Mahmoud's friends also have the same or similar stories. And quite a few of them have foreign wives who I have met. However this was the first time I was able to chat about the motives behind their actions.

------------------

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I think that Jane's brother-in-law was honest.

I have talked to many men about it - men of all ages - about their wives and their male lovers. Researching is hard work but interesting. I spent a few evenings alone on the Corniche talking at length to the boys there about how they make a living. How they got into the 'business', their worst situations - nightmares etc.

Like Jane said it is very illuminating. It was a world until then that I had no idea existed. Some had started working on the feluccas at around 9 years old - with all the temptations that went with it. I wanted to cry.

There are some really respectable European women in Luxor. Jane is one and I hope that I am another. (One partner in 6 years, lived in the family home for 4 years where I was totally beyond reproach. I spoke to my partner's mother yesterday and she told me that she loves me as she always does - I believe her). I wanted to cry again.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
I know personally one young felucca man.... who 3 years ago could not speak a word of english. He is a real sweetheart, but is already going down the path of wanting a "foreign" wife. His english is extremely good now, the bullshit is off pat, and he wants the good life he sees his peers getting. The "foreign" wife is the way to that life. But he has also told me that he wants a "foreign" wife, not only because his and his families lives will improve, but also because a foreigner will love him in a way which egyptian women wont do. He sees it as a sharing relationship rather than an egyptian wife who, in his words..."want to get married because they want a husband, and have babies quickly so that they dont have to do fun anymore and then they can be a married woman and get fat"
Lol, says it all I guess
I have talked to him about this, but he is adamant, he wants to marry a foreigner for love as well as a good life.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Yes my husband started working when he was 10 selling statues to tourists. Worked his way up felucca boy, cleaning in hotels, donkey man. He has done it all.

Some of the stories he has told me have horrified me. Especially ones where he has said No and lost out on food for the family. My mother in law has only 4 living children but has been pregnant about 10 times as far as I can gather. Several of her children died after the 97 massacre as Mahmoud then 20 couldn't earn enough to feed all the family. His father had walked out some time previously and Mahmoud was the only bread winner. I remember when he proposed to me and said I could have everything his family had but sometimes that was only tea and bread.

It breaks your heart when you hear some of these stories and they are not all made up for tourist consumption.

The other day my mother in law was telling me about her children, The ones that lived and died. She often talks about how special Mahmoud is to her because he has looked after them.

It is a lot about why I love him, his maturity forced upon him from such an early age.

But ladies beware much as these stories tug at your heart strings still make sure that the story teller is an honest man and has not been corrupted by this early life.

------------------

Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
quote:
I know personally one young felucca man.... who 3 years ago could not speak a word of english. He is a real sweetheart, but is already going down the path of wanting a "foreign" wife. His english is extremely good now, the bullshit is off pat, and he wants the good life he sees his peers getting. The "foreign" wife is the way to that life. But he has also told me that he wants a "foreign" wife, not only because his and his families lives will improve, but also because a foreigner will love him in a way which egyptian women wont do. He sees it as a sharing relationship rather than an egyptian wife who, in his words..."want to get married because they want a husband, and have babies quickly so that they dont have to do fun anymore and then they can be a married woman and get fat"
Lol, says it all I guess
I have talked to him about this, but he is adamant, he wants to marry a foreigner for love as well as a good life.

That I can respect, as well as understand. If you're so inclined, I see nothing wrong with helping to give a man a better life, as long as you're getting what you need in return. But when the guy is on his eighth, ninth wife... Sorry, but that's just scuzzy.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
That I can respect, as well as understand. If you're so inclined, I see nothing wrong with helping to give a man a better life, as long as you're getting what you need in return. But when the guy is on his eighth, ninth wife... Sorry, but that's just scuzzy.

Agreed

------------------

neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
Sorry Carleen, I know it wasn't you who used the word stupid. No Luxorlover I am not offended and on reading back agree that my posting sounded flippant and arrogant, sorry to you also. £250,000 is a lot of money and would take some replacing. (just think what 'Sunshine Project'or Jane's Mother-in-law could have done with it)!

Some really sad stories have appeared and I just wish that before visitng Egypt people would visit this board. At least they would have an idea what they were in for. Perhaps it should be advertised in travel agents!!

One thing is puzzles me (and I am not disputing anyones word here) is what is happening ultimately to the money? I know a lot, if not most is wasted at source but one would think that ultimately such vast amounts would affect the economy to a certain extent in such a small place as Luxor.

I think the whole situation is sad, both on the part of the men, and also the women who get involved with them and happy to hear that a few have a happy ending.

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
A lot of the money is squandered but a lot is put to one side and not touched. There is no welfare state and the men protect their future and provide for their old age. They know that they will have to provide for their Egyptian wives too. My partner will have put aside enough of my money to get married and provide the gold his wife will want etc. His bride will expect a lot in that line as he is thought of now as a rich man and a good catch. (except by a few fathers who have high morals) Also he will have stashed away enough money to provide for his children and make sure that they do not have to lead the kind of life that he has led.

Then there are also those that will have lent lots of money to various friends and relatives (brothers) to buld flats and furnish them.

It does all help the economy and if they took money from one woman and made her relatively happy there would be no problem. It is when they are taking from several women, all of whom have no idea of the presence of the others, that problems start.

I know the name of one felucca that has been 'sold' 25 times in the last three years for around £3,000 a time to various European men and women - but it has not actually changed hands once. I believe that somewhere in the region of £75,000 sterling has been involved for just the one boat. The boys say "If I had a felucca I would not have to live this kind of life." (or words to that effect). Their wives/lovers then agree to buy them a boat. The actual owner allows someone to pose as him in the 'sale'for a cut in the proceeds, papers are drawn up (fictional), and everyone goes away 'happy'. Some of these scams are very well organised.

Redistribution of wealth - and if the wife never learns that she has been duped then everyone stays happy. But, when the fifth wife has bought the same boat for the same man then he is on the road to becoming a career criminal.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
LL
Are you saying that one guy owns a boat, and sells it to himself over and over again? Lol, at least thats the way I read it. Or is some felucca owner making a lot of "commission" by allowing his boat to be sold over and over again.
Always assuming that the said owner allows the "new" owner to use the boat when his wife is in town.

neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
A lot of the money is squandered but a lot is put to one side and not touched. There is no welfare state and the men protect their future and provide for their old age. They know that they will have to provide for their Egyptian wives too. My partner will have put aside enough of my money to get married and provide the gold his wife will want etc. His bride will expect a lot in that line as he is thought of now as a rich man and a good catch. (except by a few fathers who have high morals) Also he will have stashed away enough money to provide for his children and make sure that they do not have to lead the kind of life that he has led.

Right LL. I am truly sorry that all this has been done at your expense. I have just read your post on another topic and may I suggest a drawing pin regarding the 50 piaste note! Also I would like to be a member of the eviction party... Is possession 9 points of the law in Luxor?

I have a nephew who has is going to Uni to study acting. I may suggest to my brother he will learn more if he sends him to Luxor!!

Having said all this I can still understand and can empathise with the desire for these men/boys to wanting to better their living standards. Until they start getting educated and learning to earn a living in different ways and while Western women remain nieve to the situation its not going to change execpt to get worse.

------------------

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Neelie - I too can understand why anyone would want a better life. I only have trouble with those men that use mutliple partners to do it. If there is only one partner and they are happy, then nobody is hurt. When there are multiple partners then everybody gets hurt.

Shareen: That is exactly what I meant. So many women think that their man owns a boat that they have paid for when in actualy fact it was a total scam. Yes men do sell boats to themselves, but more often they just 'borrow' the boat from the proper owner when necessary.

I got this information for someone involved in the scam - not a victim of it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com