EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Different cultures - respecting each other

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Different cultures - respecting each other
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We came to Egypt before, so we have had all the tourist stuff before. In the mean while we became really excited about Egypt end have some good friends over there. Last visit (last week) we both got very ill. Probably we ate something wrong in the hotel, during our first few days. We were lucky to spend the rest of our week in the house of our friend in El Gourna.

The first two days we were at a wedding of a friend in Aswan. It was good to be there. As they are rather traditional Muslem, it was quite an experience for us. We’ve seen lawyers and doctors (male and female), and how their position towards one another is, as soon as they marry. The public life of a married woman seems so different from what we’re used to see up here in Europe. But as Ann (my wife) spended some time with the women, she told me that they’re totally different amongst each other in private life as they are in public life.

And they asked her a lot about our customs as well. As we have 5 children, she got some respect… until we confused them by telling our story. I’m divorced and have 3 children (and financially support my former wife), Ann was divorced and has 2 children. We live together now, bought a house together and raise our children without being married officially. To them it seemed not right, until Ann explained them that we can live as if we were married, without signing a kind of marriage contract in Belgium.

What surprised me most, is how open minded they were towards another situation in another culture. Just like we tried to understand their feelings and position, so they did towards us. As we got home, we came to one conclusion: you can show respect for another culture (and you should do so), but as you’re not part of it, you can never understand it.

Why do I write this here?

I hope to open an informative discussion on differences in different cultures

Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manoesh
Member # 4770

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manoesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for noticing that we Egyptian women are not stupid or ignorant as many of these foreigners think.That we have a different life but still understand other peoples cultures.

Posts: 66 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you really think so?

Anyway, I didn't write it like that, hope it doesn't sound that way.

It is true that the media give us a wrong picture... many europeans believe that women in the middle east are hardly allowed to go to college. Probably you'll get some wrong pictures from our site of the world as well I guess.

Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Manoesh:

By my marriage I have an Egyptian mother in law, I have 3 egyptian sisters, a cousin and aunt that I am close to. I am also lucky to have egyptian women friends. They are all very special people in my life and so kind, warm and intelligent. They are totally non judgemental of me as I am of them. Who is anybody to judge anyone else in this world.

I would not say they understand the western life but they are interested to learn and show respect. Western perceptions are so wrong about many things in an Egyptian women's life, but only by living the life can you come to understand and appreciate the qualities that this way of life brings to you.

It is special to have the chance to see it from both sides and yes there are some things I refuse to sign up to but more and more I find myself going the Egyptian way.. not because I want a quiet life but because I feel more safe and secure in the world this way and simply.........happy.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Seeing the other side, is not always possible, if you don't have te time to listen, see and feel how others are. That's where gossip and media play a very bad role, as they fill in those gaps.

Ann and I live together in a more stabile relationship than some officialy married couples do. In Belgium we have a official registration system that gives us the same status as the married couples.

And yet we were very carefull during our first visits, to explain this to our Egyptian friends, because we thought that they would see us as if we are living in some kind of promiscuïty.

[This message has been edited by Dirk (edited 16 July 2004).]

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad that your wife noticed how different Egyptian women are when they are alone than when they are in mixed company. They are great company and have a joy in life that is seldom demonstrated in public or when men are present.

I still think that life for the women in the villages (as against the towns perhaps) is very hard but that is the opinion of an outsider. I lived there for four years but unless you are born into the community it is hard to understand its intricacies.

Your situation would be thought strange but would be accepted because you are a foreigner - and they do strange things anyway.

I am so glad that you had a wonderful holiday. Egypt is a magnificent place to visit and an even better place to live.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com