EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » moving to luxor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: moving to luxor
sarah5
Member # 4884

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarah5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am about to move to Luxor to live i am a middle aged woman and have met some very nice egyptians men and women but not marrie to one yet maybe later as i am still getting over the break up of my marriage in the U/K i met a felluka captain near the sheraton hotel by the name of eade who has given me a great deal of information and he also says he owns some flats near to the Movenpick Hotel one of which he would be able to rent to me as i do not wish to buy . He told me he has an egyptian wife but he can take another wife he seems very genuine and he seems quite happy to be just freinds for the time being would i be doing wrong to get involved he seems to be so honest having already told me he has an egyptian wife.Thankful for any advise or info please.
Posts: 4 | From: bristol | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Luxor.

It is better to rent at first to see how you get on. How long do you plan to come for.

There are alot of nice people here and I am sure you will enjoy it. I am sure the people you have already met are friendly and helpful but please keep your wits about you.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that there are quite a few new flats out by the Movenpick - but it is a fair way out of town and unless you take taxis all the time, it is not easy to get in and out to go shopping, meet people, etc. Think about living in town for a while instead.

As Kenzie said, keep your wits about you - and rent don't buy for at least a year.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many nice new buildings on the way to the Movenpick but like Luxor Lover said it is out of the way.

When I was looking for my place I went all over. Make sure you check alot before you decide.

I like to live in a quiet area which is almost impossible.

When looking at flats find out where the washing machine is. Sometimes it is in the living room. Also check if the fridge can fit in the kitchen otherwise they will put it in the living room or bedroom.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kensie - you made me smile and remember how horrified I was when i first went looking for a flat for myself and found that I could touch all four walls of the kitchen without moving. The fridge was in the lounge and the washing had to go into the hall. In other one the bathroom was so small that the toilet stuck out under the sink and you had to step over it to get into the shower. The owners were very upset when I said that the flats were not suitable.

One thing about these flats was that the rent was exactly the same per month as the massive one I eventually rented. I had said I was prepared to pay a certain amount of rent and every flat I was shown cost that amount. It is a thing to bear in mind when you start looking. Quote less than you are prepared to pay and then move up from there if necessary. If you start high it is difficult to come down but it is easy to move upmarket.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
When one owner told me the fridge could go in the bedroom he could not understand what the problem was.

This will make you laugh. Someone bought lovely blue and yellow tiles for their kitchen and left the workmen to get on with it. They ran out of tiles around the door area (open plan to reception as you know) so they used the rose tiles left over from the bathroom instead of getting another box for the kitchen.

Also a window in every room is important.

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Another one. The sink was on the wall in the living room because it could not fit in the bathroom.

Sarah
I hope you are taking notes of things to look out for while looking for flats.

Make sure you dont pay a high deposit because trying to get it back if you leave is hard. Try to just pay one month in advance if they ask.

Donya
Member # 448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok out of curiosity what would be the 'average' cost to rent a 2 or 3 bed flat in Luxor, say town centre area not out near the Movenpick?

What sort of deposit would you be looking to put down?

Posts: 213 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I would not pay a deposit of more than one or two months rent -AND NOTHING ELSE ON TOP OF IT. I had to leave more because I knocked a wall down between two flats making it one huge one.

The window in every room is an important point that Kensie raised. So many flats have a window in one bedroom that only opens into the lounge instead of outside - making it unbearably hot in summer.

Rent? Varies. But in a nice area in a good clean building it could cost you anything from 400 - 500 LE per month unfurnished and a few hundred more if you want decent furniture in it. Furnished flats in the 700 - 800 LE range are easy to find.

A couple of years ago when I was looking for mine I was offered unfurnished three bedroom flats of around 100 sq metres with two bathrooms (one en-suite) for about 500 LE per month in central Luxor.

Depends on how long you want it for. The shorter the let the higher the rent. I have a three-year fixed rent (renewable) lease at the moment.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 26 July 2004).]

Donya
Member # 448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks LL, its useful info to have.

These seem to be very good prices for renting, but what do you mean, about one or two months rent in advance and 'nothing else on top', such as? would these prices include electricity, gas bottles etc.....
what otehr fees are liekly to be incurred with renting?

ta

[This message has been edited by Donya (edited 26 July 2004).]

Posts: 213 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Some will ask for 'insurance' against you stealing their furniture. If they hold a couple of months rent it is enough.

If you rent a furnished flat then gas bottles etc will be included. Some have one air conditioning unit and some two units. Check what they are offering.

Electricity is cheap. Some landlords include it. Generally if the flat is furnished the rent is inclusive, if unfurnished it is not. (there are exceptions). Electricity to run a flat including the air conditioning will seldom average out at more than 50 LE per month over the year and gas bottles cost around 11 LE if you pay the boy to carry it upstairs and fit it for you. Water is about 20 LE per year.

Anything else I can help with, just ask.

Kenzie: I shall be back in Luxor next week and would love to meet you for coffee.

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
LL
I am jealous that you are in the UK. I cannot travel till December. I miss the shopping.
See you when you get back.

Sarah
We are giving you information that you requested and you have not replied.

sarah5
Member # 4884

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarah5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry i didnt reply earlier but i was busy an couldnt get back on the pc untill now thank you very much for all your advice an from luxor lover also i have spoken with eade the elluka captain beside the sheraton again and he has told me i can rent one of his flats for 2000.00 l.e per month and he would need a 1000.00 sterling deposit so he prices you have given are very different to this.I do like this man very much he seemed so honest but i am beginning to wonder now. He kissed me yesterday and kept touching me alot i am not an easy woman usually but i do find him very attractive i am a little worried that i am going to fall into something i will regret i still have another week left of this holiday and really dont want to go home now.Thank you both for all your advise.
Posts: 4 | From: bristol | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I'm sorry Sarah but you are being taken for a ride. £1,000 Sterling is around 12,000 LE, at 500 LE per month that is two year's rent - and you would never get it back. 2,000 LE per month would rent you a palace.

I am not going to say whether this man is good or bad - but he is a boatman and how do you think he got the money to build all those flats?

Read some of the lines here about men in Luxor (some of them) before you make any decisions. You are not an easy woman so before you go home he will ask you to marry him (unless he already has his four wives and needs to get rid of one of them first). Tell him that if he marries you HE will have to provide you with a flat rent free and will have to keep you too - AND MEAN IT.

GOOD LUCK.

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Kenzie - I'm lucky I go back to England for a few weeks each summer to avoid the heat and to earn some money. I've just marked nearly 2,000 A level exam papers.
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Sarah5

Sorry but I agree with Luxor Lover. That is far too much money. Do not pay a high deposit anyway. Maximum 2 months rent.

Is it only his flats you have seen or have you checked out others.

Please be very careful.

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Just noticed that you said that your friend was already married. Please take care of yourself. I do not imagine that he would leave his Egyptian wife. Especially when he says he can take another. If you can cope with that and his wife is ok then thats fine. Please think carefully about what you are doing.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:

Rent? Varies. But in a nice area in a good clean building it could cost you anything from 400 - 500 LE per month unfurnished and a few hundred more if you want decent furniture in it. Furnished flats in the 700 - 800 LE range are easy to find.

A couple of years ago when I was looking for mine I was offered unfurnished three bedroom flats of around 100 sq metres with two bathrooms (one en-suite) for about 500 LE per month in central Luxor.

Depends on how long you want it for. The shorter the let the higher the rent. I have a three-year fixed rent (renewable) lease at the moment.

Would be interested to know is this from an agent or is it not what you know but who you know? i am in Luxor at end sept and want to be looking at flats, maybe for long term, at those prices I can still be earning here for a bit and have something there too. Any help on finding a cheap place would be great ta, will buy you a coffee/stella/vodka/gin whatever and maybe stretch to a mango juice too

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
That's what I do. I come back to England for a few weeks in the summer and work hard. That way, I can afford to pay the rent on the flat in Luxor and keep my place in England too.

No I did not go through a conventional agent. That's too expensive and is aimed at the European tourist market. Each set of streets has a local man who knows what it available in that area. He will take you round and show you what is going for no fee until you find one that you like.

Other than that someone always knows someone who has flats available. There are so many empty flats in Luxor at the moment that it is a renters market - but few seem to realise that.

Good luck flat hunting. I'll give you my telephone number nearer the time and will help you all that I can.

PS: When in September will you be here? I am going back to England for a few weeks to see my kids at the end of September.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 30 July 2004).]

Nefret-Iabet
Member # 4921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefret-Iabet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello - I just returned from Luxor and was charged by it to say the least. I also met a tourist driver (older) but charming who pretended (I guess) he was very interested in me. I am interested in what other females my age say about this. I liked him alot and also called him on his cellphone, but I think living there would be very difficult. My friend said he was not married (arranged naturally), but I doubt you should get too involved with someone who has other wives? I would be interested in hearing how you do over there. I considered it myself but have now moved on from it I think!@
Regards,
quote:
Originally posted by sarah5:
I am about to move to Luxor to live i am a middle aged woman and have met some very nice egyptians men and women but not marrie to one yet maybe later as i am still getting over the break up of my marriage in the U/K i met a felluka captain near the sheraton hotel by the name of eade who has given me a great deal of information and he also says he owns some flats near to the Movenpick Hotel one of which he would be able to rent to me as i do not wish to buy . He told me he has an egyptian wife but he can take another wife he seems very genuine and he seems quite happy to be just freinds for the time being would i be doing wrong to get involved he seems to be so honest having already told me he has an egyptian wife.Thankful for any advise or info please.

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nefret-Iabet:
[B]Hello - I just returned from Luxor and was charged by it to say the least. I also met a tourist driver (older) but charming who pretended (I guess) he was very interested in me. I am interested in what other females my age say about this. I liked him alot and also called him on his cellphone, but I think living there would be very difficult. My friend said he was not married (arranged naturally), but I doubt you should get too involved with someone who has other wives? I would be interested in hearing how you do over there. I considered it myself but have now moved on from it I think!@
Regards,

RUN.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i met a felluka captain near the sheraton hotel

Sisters, please please please leave alone those irresistible felluca sailors!!!! If you really desire to get acquainted with the Egyptian male population, take a stroll in Maadi.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Nefret - if being charged means that you got 'up close and personal' - go get yourself checked out at the local clinic. Felucca captains have a habit of batting for both sides of the team.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Good luck flat hunting. I'll give you my telephone number nearer the time and will help you all that I can.

PS: When in September will you be here? I am going back to England for a few weeks to see my kids at the end of September.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 30 July 2004).]

Thanks loads LL but i am arriving on 29th sept so i imagine we will miss each other and im only here for a week (well that depends on other things too )but any help will be appreciated. jane has all my details im staying in one of hers

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I will miss you as I shall be winging my way back to England then. JAne knows the ropes though and will be able to help.

If you give me an idea of what you want and whereabout you want to live then I can make a few enquiries before you get here and get a few telephone numbers for you.

You can get me on Lizasutton@hotmail.com. I'm not too wonderful at checking the mail but I get there eventually.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks LL, I just sent you an e-mail. well more like a book really! lol
Nefret-Iabet
Member # 4921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefret-Iabet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah - I just returned from Luxor - you must havbe a place of residence, or hotel to stay at first off. I am same statistics as you and will return to Luxor sometime in the Fall most likely. Let me know if you go. Felucca captain, taxi drivers - beware, they are interested in your $$. Do not marry someone right off - experience on your own and see what happens!
quote:

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chelle67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:

RUN.
[/QUOTE]

thanks for that snippet of wisdom karah-mia, i laughed so much that i spat coffee all over my keyboard

Posts: 124 | From: england | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chelle67:
thanks for that snippet of wisdom karah-mia, i laughed so much that i spat coffee all over my keyboard

Any time.

[This message has been edited by Karah_Mia (edited 31 July 2004).]

Nefret-Iabet
Member # 4921

Rate Member
you posted to the wrong person - I did not have anything to do with a Felluca captain, I think you mean...what's her name. Naturally I see what's going on here - I am no dummy and realize what they are after. But it works both ways! Some women like feedback from others though - how often do we meet an Egyptian in the USA/Canada or Europe - me never only in Luxor! So I had to ask! This Board is really tough! Lighten up

quote:
Nefret - if being charged means that you got 'up close and personal' - go get yourself checked out at the local clinic. Felucca captains have a habit of batting for both sides of the team.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
.... i have spoken with eade the elluka captain beside the sheraton again and he has told me i can rent one of his flats for 2000.00 l.e per month and he would need a 1000.00 sterling deposit so he prices you have given are very different to this.I do like this man very much he seemed so honest but i am beginning to wonder now. He kissed me yesterday and kept touching me alot i am not an easy woman usually but i do find him very attractive i am a little worried that i am going to fall into something i will regret i still have another week left of this holiday and really dont want to go home now.

Hopefully you are VERY aware now that this man is hoping to cheat you out of a great deal of money. He may be charming, but there is nothing gentlemanly about him. He sees you as a sucker and is playing you this way. Don't fall for it. Let him know you've done your research and you know he is not a good man. He will do his best to convince you otherwise, but please please please steer clear of him. He is no good and the fact that he's kissing and touching you shows his bad intentions already. He knows he can get away with it, and as long as you allow it, he will manipulate the situation to take it further and further.

RUN like hell!

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Sorry Nefret - I did not mean to offend - hence the smiley faces and certainly did not mean to be tough on you.
luxor
Member # 5210

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for luxor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you need some information about flats for rent or buy in Luxor, see this website: www.egypt-rentaflat.com
He give you idea about prices and location. But attention for any transaction without professionnals.

Posts: 18 | From: Luxor Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dr_judge
Member # 5223

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dr_judge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
How are you?
I have just red your profile I like it so much :applause: I think we have somethings in coman my name is Mohammad 27 years all about mein my profile just would like to add that I'm working as a judge and teaching part time in the university .. have master degree in law and a diploma in negotiation and crisis management studying my phd now. my email is msaaads@yahoo.com .. I hope if you like that we be in contact to got a message or email from you ...
Goodbye for now and take care
Mohammad:bye:

Posts: 191 | From: cairo, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bomba
Member # 5192

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bomba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Luxorlover,

Yes we met under another name. Have moved. It was nice meeting you though. And once again thanks for the 'Bisto'.

Posts: 36 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I had been told that you had moved. Are you well? Glad the bisto was OK - if somwhat late. Be happy Life is short.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com