EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Some ideas and proposals on my silly question:))))))

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some ideas and proposals on my silly question:))))))
didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello to all from the forum!!!!!
I wanna ask you one maybe little stupid question,but i still wonder and i need some friend`s help!Sure as one normal logical thinking human i have some proposals,but ill appreciate some help!
I will go after 2 weeks(inshallah) to Egypt,to meet my bf,and for first time i`ll meet his family too,he have 2 brothers and 1 sister!I`m pretty aware that when u go as guest in another country,and visit people who never meet before,its normal and a sign of respect to bring some presents!......but im little confused what to bring,can u pls tell me what they would like,and his sister will get marry,what an egiptian girl would like for a present,even if isnt so special!oooops i forget myself...ty in advance!!!

Posts: 1134 | From: NoNe oF uR BuSiNeS | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diana_ivanova:
Hello to all from the forum!!!!!
I wanna ask you one maybe little stupid question,but i still wonder and i need some friend`s help!Sure as one normal logical thinking human i have some proposals,but ill appreciate some help!
I will go after 2 weeks(inshallah) to Egypt,to meet my bf,and for first time i`ll meet his family too,he have 2 brothers and 1 sister!I`m pretty aware that when u go as guest in another country,and visit people who never meet before,its normal and a sign of respect to bring some presents!......but im little confused what to bring,can u pls tell me what they would like,and his sister will get marry,what an egiptian girl would like for a present,even if isnt so special!oooops i forget myself...ty in advance!!!

Chocolates is always very welcome...Nesle,Cadbury,Lindt...the nice ones...you can never go wrong with it.For the bride...gold is always nice..earings etc.thats if you reaaaalyy like her...buy it in Egypt,its much much cheaper there.Dont go overboard though...once you start big you will be expected to keep it up.First get to know them and see if they are worth it...I mean that in the nicest way.

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with chocolate at this time of the year when temperatures are in the 40's is that it melts into a sticky mess between the airport and the fridge
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lukoshko
Member # 3626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lukoshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who told u that u should bring presents? Do egyption girls bring presents in such cases? I don't think so.

I think u can bring a box of chocolate (if u want so much) and that's all.

Posts: 287 | From: Moscow Russia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

an assorted collection of make-ups is always welcome for a young bride, and also any jewellery, even you can ask your b/f if it'll be ok to bring some lingerie for her, if you give it to her in privacy, not in front of all the family to open the parcel in front of everybody.. you know what I mean.

Locally you can buy a plate of mixed sweets from any good sweets shop (basbousa, konefa etc.) - these don't melt and are always welcome, and women always like flowers.

for children all kinds of nice clothes, crayons, colors, watercolors, fingerpaint, glasspaint, toys etc.

good luck & salam, Karin

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karinfarad has got it about right. People usually take a gift with them when they visit. On normal visits, bottles of fruit juice seems to be popular and bags of fruit . Especially the more expensive ones that people would not buy every day.

Biscuits are also popular and do not have to be eaten immediately. I don't mean the packet kind, I mean the ones you buy by the kilo from the bakery. Another thing that you can get is a cake. There are some wonderful cake shops in Egypt and they are not expensive. Big cakes are always welcome and can be shared with the whole family.

The bride will love make-up and perfume. The women of my family were always over the moon if I brought some 'French' perfumes back to Egypt with me. If you know the size, then lacey knickers would be loved - but they must be given in private otherwise she will be shamed.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manoesh
Member # 4770

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manoesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lukoshko:
who told u that u should bring presents? Do egyption girls bring presents in such cases? I don't think so.

I think u can bring a box of chocolate (if u want so much) and that's all.

Yes they do...ussually one is judged by the value of the present ....the more expensive the higher they think of you...the cheaper the less they think of you...so if you didnt get anything...well I guess...you can think for yourself

Posts: 66 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
The problem with chocolate at this time of the year when temperatures are in the 40's is that it melts into a sticky mess between the airport and the fridge

TRUE... ...Im still in the freezer...I forgot its summer there

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manoesh:
Yes they do...ussually one is judged by the value of the present ....the more expensive the higher they think of you...the cheaper the less they think of you...so if you didnt get anything...well I guess...you can think for yourself

Is that really so? I am also interested in the gift giving issue; what would be a 'good think about the giver' kind of a gift then?

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
When my partner was ill, visitors poured in to see him laden to the gills with goodies that they could ill-afford to buy.
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In July 2001 I took my one and only chocolate Easter egg to Egypt with me, wrapped up in clothing in my suitcase.
When I unpacked it, it wasnt damaged. I kept it in mini bar in room until the end of my holiday when I felt I truly deserved it.
So down to the Sheraton pool we went and ate it watching a beautiful sunset over the Nile.
Have a photo to prove it, so surreal.

The point of this posting - chocolate didnt melt when in my suitcase. But it melted in my mouth perfectly.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, if you want to bring chocolate, just put 1 or 2 ice-pack in the bag. I did that last year and it didnt melt for minimum 15 hrs. Dont bring Nestlee, they own Cairo; I swear, Nestlee is everywhere. Godiva chocolate is the most expensive/fancy chocolate I know of. just make sure NOT to get the 'truffes' (truffles?) because they contain alcohol.
Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkhnAton*
Member # 4882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkhnAton*   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
just make sure NOT to get the 'truffes' (truffles?) because they contain alcohol.

Oh my god, i really get sick now. As i red ur post i reminded that i bought chocolat with alcohol... ohohoh... oh no...

To diana: Dont worry about the first meeting. It will be nice and insha allah they will treat u like ur one of the family. They now that ur non-egyptian, so u cant do many misstakes. I also was scared before i met the father and than the family of my future-wife. Mut it was great!

I wish u the best.

(Im still sick)

Akhnaton

Posts: 44 | From: Cairo & Stuttgart | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh ty very muchh to whole from this forum who answered me!!!I really excuse for my late answer,but i was out of city so couldnt reply,but i do it now,and with hope and happyness i saw whole of you who saw my topic and was so nice to help me!TY very very muchhh,all ideas are wonderful!!!!!!
Posts: 1134 | From: NoNe oF uR BuSiNeS | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes friends,ty again for all answers i got,i think i send reply but i dont see it so to be sure,ill send it again!I was little worried and excited about this travel,but its not the travel,its mostly the meet with his family,as im stranger,foreigner,and im afraid of all they heared for europeans,i just dont want to make bad impression,after their imaginations and rumours,which i must say,are not a lie,and i cant even blame them!
whatever...ty all,u are very very nice people,and really help me with all advices,inshallah....ill make the best choise for her!
SALLAM ALL!!!!:d

Manoesh
Member # 4770

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Manoesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
Is that really so? I am also interested in the gift giving issue; what would be a 'good think about the giver' kind of a gift then?

just take something that you know wont cost arm and leg!...I say chocolates...its not so expensive in your countries and you wont feel like ass if they dont like you...becuase you did not spent much money on them....I dont mean to be mean ...but get to know them and see how they treat you.when you feel ok with them..then buy something nice.but dont start bying expensive things from beginning!Chocolate is a good gift and its sweety ...so your sweety...and fro them its expensive but for you its not....so you impress them at minimum cost

Posts: 66 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnKnOwn
Member # 4888

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for UnKnOwn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wellcome in egypt anyway but you have to know the other plan if you did like your bf what you can do .. ofcourse there are many plane to run away and call us back to tell what happen baby
Posts: 1 | From: Zamalek , Cairo , Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Good answer Manoesh. That's why the cakes are a good thing too.
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
just take something that you know wont cost arm and leg!...I say chocolates...its not so expensive in your countries and you wont feel like ass if they dont like you...becuase you did not spent much money on them....I dont mean to be mean ...but get to know them and see how they treat you.when you feel ok with them..then buy something nice.but dont start bying expensive things from beginning!Chocolate is a good gift and its sweety ...so your sweety...and fro them its expensive but for you its not....so you impress them at minimum cost

Thank you bunches; I shall bring the chocolate then. The only issue is that I can eat it all myself during my long lasting journey. hee hee hee Will have to put it in my check in luggage and drool thinking of it. Sigh.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkhnAton*
Member # 4882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkhnAton*   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are you from? @Diana

Once again: Dont worry, egyptians are not as cold as the most europeans. (Especially my wife is very hot *bis smile*). Be sure that you will be surprised from the family.

Best wishes
Akhnaton

Posts: 44 | From: Cairo & Stuttgart | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lukoshko
Member # 3626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lukoshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I ment not for the wedding (in this case I gess u should bring a present) but when u are going to be presented to ur fiancee's family. Do egyption girls in this case bring presents?

Posts: 287 | From: Moscow Russia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi, Diana, at first MABROUK of being in a relationship with an Egyptian man.

I wouldn't make too much fuss about presents. I'd bring his mother a nice bunch of flowers and as others said here before chocolates or cake. You'll find European chocolates in some stores throughout Cairo. So don't bother bringing them on the plane at this time of the year. I would bring each of his family member something little and typical from Russia (I believe thats were you coming from). And don't bother with buying his sister - which will get married shortly - some lingerie. Leave this up to her future husband. Maybe you'll find something useful for her future household. And anyway, nothing could be worse by buying the wrong size of lingerie for her anyway!

Diana, just go there, visit his hometown, meet everyone, take your time and enjoy your stay. Just be natural, kind and you'll see that you will win over their hearts immediately. Egyptians are the most welcoming and warm people. It's not at all about presents. Good luck!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Manoesh.... if you take expensive gifts from the start, they will be expected forever!!!
Also, if it doesn't work out with the boyfriend, you haven't wasted too much money!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manoesh
Member # 4770

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manoesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lukoshko:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manoesh:
[b] Yes they do...ussually one is judged by the value of the present ....the more expensive the higher they think of you...the cheaper the less they think of you...so if you didnt get anything...well I guess...you can think for yourself

I ment not for the wedding (in this case I gess u should bring a present) but when u are going to be presented to ur fiancee's family. Do egyption girls in this case bring presents?

[/B][/QUOTE]

It depends...I think mostly on what your b/f has told the family about you...your intetions etc.i dont want to go into detail as maybe this guy is genuine and he told them good things bout you...than they give you nice presents.He could also have told them that he is with you for your money and that they would benefit by being nice to you...than they will aslo give you nice presents....but the main thing is ...dont you go spending a lot of money on gifts.First suss them out for a long period befoer you start buying things.Once you know them for their true selves and they still give you nice presents...than they obviously really like you! ...if not...well

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com