EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » I need information

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need information
luisa06
Member # 4975

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for luisa06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody. I am a student of egyptology in Spain and next september I will travel to Egypt. I would like if you could inform me about the name and addresses of libraries in Cairo because I want to buy books (also in english)about Ancient Egypt, egyptology, etc...
Thank you in advance

Posts: 2 | From: madrid, spain | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might be better getting books from www.amazon.com, prices can be excellent

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AkhnAton*
Member # 4882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkhnAton*   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luisa06:
Hello everybody. I am a student of egyptology in Spain and next september I will travel to Egypt. I would like if you could inform me about the name and addresses of libraries in Cairo because I want to buy books (also in english)about Ancient Egypt, egyptology, etc...
Thank you in advance

Hello,
with books i cant help u, but if u wanna spend some hours alone in the pyramid or if u would like to see the queens- or subterian-chaber, or if i wanna meet dr. Zahi, i can help u.

Good luck

Akhnaton

Posts: 44 | From: Cairo & Stuttgart | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bedo911
Member # 1306

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for bedo911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi
my Uncle is the vise dean of the faculty of monuments in cairo university ..my other Uncle is a proffecor in it so i think both of them may help u when u come .. contact me on bedotiger@yahoo.com .. if u need any other help just tell me ..
bedo

Posts: 16 | From: giza | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amgadamir
Member # 3718

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amgadamir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U can find books in the greatest libraries, American University of cairo (AUC) and Cairo University
Posts: 33 | From: Egypt - Cairo | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the best bet for English books is the bookstore at the American University in Cairo. It is at Tahrir Square. The closest entrance to the bookstore is aross the street from McDonalds. They have many books on the subject and some very lovely coffee table type books.
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gogo
Member # 2987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gogo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Libraries or Bookshops
Posts: 23 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpion
Member # 5004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by meteora:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by luisa06:
[b]Hello everybody. I am a student of egyptology in Spain and next september I will travel to Egypt. I would like if you could inform me about the name and addresses of libraries in Cairo because I want to buy books (also in english)about Ancient Egypt, egyptology, etc...
Thank you in advance

Hi Luisa,
If you would like books in spanish.Try the library of the 'Cervantes institute'.I beleive they have a section for Egyptology.
check http://elcairo.cervantes.es
If you need more info ...message me[/B][/QUOTE]

hi there.
bookshops in cairo are:-anglo-egyptian,165 sharia mohammed farid,dowtown
Diwan bookshop,159 Sharia.
Lehnert&landrock,44 sharif sherif,downtown.
there are more listed in the lonely planet book on Egypt.happy reading

Posts: 22 | From: southend uk | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryph
Member # 2005

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dream of the day I will travel to Cairo with two empty suitcases and purchase nothing but BOOKS-BOOKS-BOOKS. The AUC, Lehnert/Landrock and Diwan bookstores keep me entertained for not hours but days on end. If you like to read and you like to read about Egypt, Cairo's bookstores are a dream come true.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foriegn Books are notoriously expensive in Egypt. I'd try Amazon first before forking out outrageous prices for such books. I must admit that the AUC bookshop has an interesting selection of AUC-published titles which are very reasonably priced.

There's a really cheap second-hand bookshop in Maadi. It's tucked behind KFC adjacent to the metro station.

Shrouk(sp?)on Midan Talat Harb is another shop worth a look.

Lehnert & Landrock has a few titles in Spanish, but they mainly stock English, French and German books. They have a great antique postcard collection by the way.

There's also a second-hand market next to Ataba metro station. It's quite hard to find - just look for the little sheds. Most stock textbooks but you might strike it lucky if you look around.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luxor
Member # 5210

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for luxor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contact the library Eldorado
167 Guesr El Suez Street - Heliopolis
Cairo Egypt phone : (202) 633 27 40

Posts: 18 | From: Luxor Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dr_judge
Member # 5223

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dr_judge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thank you in advance

Hi
How are you?
I have just red your profile I like it so much :applause: I think we have somethings in coman my name is Mohammad 27 years all about mein my profile just would like to add that I'm working as a judge and teaching part time in the university .. have master degree in law and a diploma in negotiation and crisis management studying my phd nowmy email is msaaads@yahoo.com .. I hope if you like that we be in contact to got a message or email from you ...
Goodbye for now and take care
Mohammad:bye:

Posts: 191 | From: cairo, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for noiretblanc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Luisa, yo también iré a El Cairo este mes de septiembre. Me llamo Rut y me han dado una beca del Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores para completar mis estudios de posgrado. Mi email es: nuaretblanc@yahoo.es.
un saludo!!

quote:
Thank you in advance

Posts: 182 | From: Madrid, SPAIN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have always found Books to be more expensive in Egypt than in the U.K. Amazon have a massive list of titles at around 25% to 50% less than in Egypt.

Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Memo2000
Member # 3996

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Memo2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are welcome to Egypt.
you can read more about Egypt here . http://www.travel-egypt.ha22.com
i have designed this site to help tourist .
Thanks
Halim http://www.halim-hosting.com

Posts: 271 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheProfessional
Member # 5354

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheProfessional     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luisa, there a few good libraries that you can try:

------------------
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" - Napoleon Bonaparte

[This message has been edited by TheProfessional (edited 14 September 2004).]

[This message has been edited by TheProfessional (edited 14 September 2004).]

Posts: 21 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

In order to obtain books from AUC you need membership or be a student. I believe Egyptian residents can have acess to the library also. You can probabaly find just about anything in the Bibloteca in Alexzandria.

If you can read Arabic there are many books of independent and Egyptian Egyptologist in various book shoips. One particular book I recommend is From Pharoah's Lips and Fellahin of Upper Egypt by Winifried S. Blackman. Both are avaiable from AUC.

BTW,is there anybody currently living in Egypt that had acess of AUC? Would you mind if I email you with some questions?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com