EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » First-timer - please help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First-timer - please help
DonnaAS
Member # 5166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonnaAS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister and I are coming over in October - 3 days in Cairo then a weeks cruise from Luxor to Aswan. Will get our visas when we arrive. Have heard there are restrictions on how much money u can take in and out and that we need to inform them we are carrying a camcorder? :rolleyes
Can anybody please help? Should we bring travellers cheques? are there cash machines? are we restricted on money amounts? How does the currency work? Can you teach us some basic lingo? Anything else we need to know? Do I sound thick? (Don't answer that one LOL) I know, lots of questions, but we really haven't got a clue

Posts: 25 | From: Durham, England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
denisegr
Member # 5167

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for denisegr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Donna
firstly you can get your visa on arrival at the airport you should be given a form to fill in on the plane. You cannot pay in local currancy I payed in sterling £10.I have heard there are restritions on money taken in but nobody has ever asked yet. I have never mentioned my camcorder but better get advice on that 1. You will have a wonderful time i,m hoping to return next spring for the 4th yr
quote:
Originally posted by DonnaAS:
My sister and I are coming over in October - 3 days in Cairo then a weeks cruise from Luxor to Aswan. Will get our visas when we arrive. Have heard there are restrictions on how much money u can take in and out and that we need to inform them we are carrying a camcorder? :rolleyes
Can anybody please help? Should we bring travellers cheques? are there cash machines? are we restricted on money amounts? How does the currency work? Can you teach us some basic lingo? Anything else we need to know? Do I sound thick? (Don't answer that one LOL) I know, lots of questions, but we really haven't got a clue

Posts: 26 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the official list of what is and is not allowed to be brought in but from what I can see it is not strictly adhered to:

You may take the following into Egypt without incurring customs duty:
• 200 cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 g tobacco
• 2 litres of alcohol
• Perfume for personal use
• Gifts to the value of EGP500.00
• Cash, travellers cheques, credit cards and gold over the value of EGP500.00 must be declared on arrival.
• Drugs, firearms and cotton may not be brought into the country.
• The export of any antiquity or any item older than 100 years without a license is forbidden. http://www.mfa.gov.eg/testf.asp.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Although they do have these rules frankly they are not bothered about tourists. So you can relax, you will probably be arriving with a huge plane load of people with camcorders, digital cameras and laptops. Most of whom have no idea they are supposed to declare them and don't.

In the 5* hotels you can use your cards and make withdrawals. However lots of place love hard currency and you can often get a good deal by paying in sterling/dollars whatever.

Get yourself a good guide book Lonely Planet or Rough Guide are good and you will find phrases, currency guides etc

Have a lovely holiday, loads of people come back year after year and some of us end up living here. It is a wonderful place.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Jane on most counts, mostly on the don't worry about what you can bring in as far as cash and camcorders. It just really doesn't matter. As for the cash.... I want to say POOOOLEEESSSEEE...as if they are going to tell you to limit the money you will bring into Egypt and potentially leave here? No way that is going to happen. However, you probably will want to bring a small stash of dollars or other hard currency to pay for hotels and a few items, but generally, EGP is just as good and right now there isn't a black market going on in Egypt that benefits anyone enough to worry about it...especially for a tourist....so EGP is just as good. You can get EGP out of the ATM machines at a fair rate.

Yes, have a guide book with you. I disagree with limiting yourself to one of the two mentioned. LP is especially narrow sighted and limited in their views, but that is the same with all guide books. Any guide book is mearly the experience of ONE person that came ONE time and either enjoyed specific restaurants/sights/hotels or didn't, and while they give an overview of what to expect, they are as often wrong as they are right.

For more FAQ answers, please visit my website: www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noiretblanc
Member # 4272

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for noiretblanc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debbie, as you know I will move to Cairo in September and I will live there for one year. should I declare a laptop that I will bring with me?
Thank you!

Posts: 182 | From: Madrid, SPAIN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi...theres no restriction to the amount of foreign currency that you can bring into the country...but there is a restriction on the amount of Egyptian pounds you bring into Egypt....and that is EGP200....its ok if you bring more...but then you must be sure that they wont catch you

Theres no problems with cameras etc....but there are restrictions to what you can photograph and film.A book that you will immensely benifit from is the "Go Egypt" series...they are available for every country!

Theres also books apparently written by ES female members called "How to avoid being bitten by a two legged Nile Shark" ...and there is some special books on Luxor "Cabana boy fever"...and also..."How to avoid your brain from falling through your bum"...and..."Male gigalos,the pros and the cons"...and "The other woman he has an affair with...she's called his wife"...and also "I'm not the bank"...etc. etc....it would be a good idea for you to read all of them.I personally learned a lot and would advise you to do the same before travelling!have a fantastic trip...

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O crap that should have been LE2000...sorry for the mistake!
Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IslandSha
Member # 5164

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IslandSha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

This is a bit different since we'll be in Alexandria for a year instead of a month or so. I have read that I will need shots as well as an AIDS test? Is this correct? I think I have had all the right shots but since we're in the process of moving I'm not sure I can find the documentation. Does anyone have experience with a long term arrangment?

Posts: 25 | From: Christianstand, St. Croix | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi IslandSha!

The AIDS test is only required if you are applying for a work visa, or to renew it after a year if you have left the country during the year, and it has to be done in Egypt at a center recognised by the government here. I think it is only applicable to the person applying for the visa too, not dependents. You don't need the AIDS test if you will only be here as a tourist. As for the shots, I was never asked about those for the work or tourist visas.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newcomer...I'm pretty sure if you are a spouse of an expat that has a work contract, then you will be getting your residency visa as well and for that you have to take the AIDS test. But Newcomer is right about the test having to be done at an approved clinic/lab in Egypt. Don't bother to have it done at home.

I don't think there are any shots you have to have, but even if there are, they would be loads cheaper here, and the safety factor is fine. There are perfectly good, clean labs here.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote Natashiah "Theres also books apparently written by ES female members called "How to avoid being bitten by a two legged Nile Shark" ...and there is some special books on Luxor "Cabana boy fever"...and also..."How to avoid your brain from falling through your bum"...and..."Male gigalos,the pros and the cons"...and "The other woman he has an affair with...she's called his wife"...and also "I'm not the bank"...etc. etc....it would be a good idea for you to read all of them.I personally learned a lot and would advise you to do the same before travelling!have a fantastic trip..."

Did we detect a hint of sarcasam here ?

Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonnaAS
Member # 5166

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for DonnaAS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all who replied - sarcastic or not, guess I deserved it but I did say my questions probably sounded pretty thick to those of you who are old-hands! Never mind.
I look forward to my trip and if there's anyone else who can give me further hints, then please do so

Posts: 25 | From: Durham, England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by philand teresa:
Quote Natashiah "Theres also books apparently written by ES female members called "How to avoid being bitten by a two legged Nile Shark" ...and there is some special books on Luxor "Cabana boy fever"...and also..."How to avoid your brain from falling through your bum"...and..."Male gigalos,the pros and the cons"...and "The other woman he has an affair with...she's called his wife"...and also "I'm not the bank"...etc. etc....it would be a good idea for you to read all of them.I personally learned a lot and would advise you to do the same before travelling!have a fantastic trip..."

Did we detect a hint of sarcasam here ?

Yes...and your point is?

philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear DonnaAS. We do not think any sarcasm was intended about your questions. It appears to us to be pointed at some of the contributors to E.S. who seem to have a sad tale of failed love to tell. The stories go something like this "Went on Holiday to Luxor..... Met guy..... He text two of his friends so we were married orfi style......I gave him $1000 for his moms operation $500 for his car to be repaired $300 to pay the vets bill for the cat......Now he's gone bbbooooowwwwhhhhhooooo.

Visiting Egypt is a wonderful experience. As with travel anywhere in the world be cautious to save regret. Enjoy your Holiday. Try not to fall in love, would hate for you to join the bbbboooooowwwwhhhhhoooo group.

Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
like2bactive
Member # 4755

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for like2bactive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Donna, even my username is like 2bactive, but i have 2 admit that i'm not so active in participating in Es topic(only reading), but when i see some posts here express their writers' love 2 Egypt and eagerness 4 more knowledge, i just be surprised from some replies (has nothing 2 do with ur first question) like..u r asking about the weather, u find someone saying good luck with ur trip, but take care of Egyptian sharks, why the hell ur questions r answered in that better sarcasm of advising u in that way? my golden advice lady is..don't follow others' advice..u r a grown up lady (as i think) u r free 2 go through any experience (good or bad) u r free 2 hold responsibilities of ur choices..+ u have another companion (ur sister) so how come "Egyptian Sharks" get u? stopping u in the street to "catch a fish" ?? enjoy ur sure-wonderful trip with the nice Egy people, and let me know if u faced any assholes (expected .. in any part of the world) and i'm ready .. 2 kick their ass ..cheers
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by like2bactive:
hi Donna, even my username is like 2bactive, but i have 2 admit that i'm not so active in participating in Es topic(only reading), but when i see some posts here express their writers' love 2 Egypt and eagerness 4 more knowledge, i just be surprised from some replies (has nothing 2 do with ur first question) like..u r asking about the weather, u find someone saying good luck with ur trip, but take care of Egyptian sharks, why the hell ur questions r answered in that better sarcasm of advising u in that way? my golden advice lady is..don't follow others' advice..u r a grown up lady (as i think) u r free 2 go through any experience (good or bad) u r free 2 hold responsibilities of ur choices..+ u have another companion (ur sister) so how come "Egyptian Sharks" get u? stopping u in the street to "catch a fish" ?? enjoy ur sure-wonderful trip with the nice Egy people, and let me know if u faced any assholes (expected .. in any part of the world) and i'm ready .. 2 kick their ass ..cheers

Bite me.. for having a sense of humour!

philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
like2bactive ???????should that not read like2learnSpellingAndGrammer

DonnaAS
Member # 5166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonnaAS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meeeoooow! - there are some cats on here!
This is fun! And I thought I was just going to get info No, seriously, your advice has been great. Highly unlikely I'm going to fall in love as I already have a husband (although my stars at the beginning of the year did say otherwise LOL) However, my sister is single so I guess I'd better keep a close watch for the two-legged sharks on her account.

Found out we're staying in the Sofitel - Le Sphinx in Cairo - anyone know anything of it?
Cheers!

LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About travel shots...In U.S. before traveled to Egypt we called a travel nurse at local doctors office or just ask your doctor..it was recommended for our 1yr+ stay in Egypt to get a Hepatitas A series shot, malayria, tetnus shot..so family of 4 we took them-won't hurt..better to be safe than sorry.. FYI *Bring OFF for mosquitoes- just incase I get bit every wk.
We did declare camcorder, digital camera & our baggage was checked numerous times thoroughly at US, London & Egyptian Airport security even w/2 small children with us..
We use only cash thus far.you can exchange in many places.........
Have not used a credit card yet or seen place accepts them/cept hotels
Have a great trip...I like to swim with my Egyptian Shark LOL!

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
DonnaAs

Yep yep yep....get your shots...also for Egypt...rabies shots,travellers diarrhoea,malaria....well I went for my yellow fever shot on Saturday because Im going to Kenya.....I told my DR Im relocating to Egypt and the above is what he recommended!...i dont know if it is relevant or not but I guess the choice is yours

egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Meeeoooow! - there are some cats on here!
This is fun! And I thought I was just going to get info No, seriously, your advice has been great. Highly unlikely I'm going to fall in love as I already have a husband (although my stars at the beginning of the year did say otherwise LOL) However, my sister is single so I guess I'd better keep a close watch for the two-legged sharks on her account.

Found out we're staying in the Sofitel - Le Sphinx in Cairo - anyone know anything of it?
Cheers!

Sofitel Maadi u mean? It's a very nice hotel on the nile where u can see the pyramids from.Enjoy urself.

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philand teresa:
like2bactive ???????should that not read like2learnSpellingAndGrammer

Maybe like2bactive doesnt have the luxury of english as a first language. He/she made a perfectly reasonable post, yet you found it necessary to be rude. Wouldnt it have been better to respond to the post instead?

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonnaAS
Member # 5166

Rate Member
MisplacedInAlex - thanks for your info - had all the recommended shots - wondering about Malaria pills though - at first I was told I would need them but the Pharmacist now says we don't - any clues? Doing Cairo, Luxor to Aswan if that makes any difference
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna
You wont need malaria pills. They arent necessary for the areas you are travelling to. Of course, you can take them if you feel you want to, but the risks involved are higher than the risks of getting malaria. Just take a good mosquito repellent to keep the little buggers away and you will be fine.
The best advice is to go and see your doctor for what is recommended and what isnt. Personally, I have tetanus, polio, hepatitis A and typhoid. There really isnt any need for anything else. But your doctor will advise you.

[This message has been edited by Shareen (edited 31 August 2004).]

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Donna
You wont need malaria pills. They arent necessary for the areas you are travelling to. Of course, you can take them if you feel you want to, but the risks involved are higher than the risks of getting malaria. Just take a good mosquito repellent to keep the little buggers away and you will be fine.
The best advice is to go and see your doctor for what is recommended and what isnt. Personally, I have tetanus, polio, hepatitis A and typhoid. There really isnt any need for anything else. But your doctor will advise you.

[This message has been edited by Shareen (edited 31 August 2004).]

You're right....and malaria tablets can make you sick...make you feel icky!

bellarosanna
Member # 5229

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bellarosanna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI I appreciate all this useful information. This will be my 2nd time in Cairo and I will be getting an apartment in El Hegaz Square. Can anyone please tell me anything about this area-is this in fact in Heliopolis? Thanks for all your help.

Posts: 14 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheProfessional
Member # 5354

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheProfessional     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, El Hegaz square is in Heliopolis. A big square. Quite a lot of shops and supermarkets to buy foods and house stuff (no clothes though) and pharmacies very close to the Sq. (walking distance). And the very good thing is, has a bus stop right beside the square, so can use public transportation for long distances (going out of Heliopolis).

------------------
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 21 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Memo2000
Member # 3996

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Memo2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello
ok you can read more about Egypt here. http://www.travel-egypt.ha22.com
Thanks
Halim
http://www.halim-hosting.com

Posts: 271 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com