EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Is it save for a girl/woman to go on holiday to cairo alone??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it save for a girl/woman to go on holiday to cairo alone??
Mary_77
Member # 5264

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mary_77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it save for a girl/woman to go on holiday to Cairo alone? What can you recommend me? I like to hear your advices.
Posts: 38 | From: Holland | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, you are safe in Cairo, more than in USA or UK at least. You are NOT safe from:

1. being hassled to buy stuff
2. trying to cross the roads (but someone will help you if they see you having trouble)
3. falling in love with Egypt forever
4. falling in love with an Egyptian man
5. buying too much stuff to take home
6. never wanting to leave
7. drinking too much mango juice
8. never wanting to eat in your own country again
have a great time

------------------
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary_77:
Is it save for a girl/woman to go on holiday to Cairo alone? What can you recommend me? I like to hear your advices.

What do you mean with "safe"? No you will not get robbed, assaulted etc. Egyptian people are very peaceful, friendly and helpful. But since you are European many men will try to get your attention (I already mentioned this to you in another post). You might want to bring a friend in Cairo along to help you not getting lost in the big city, for translations, dealing with the cab drivers or getting a fair price at Khan-Al-Khalili......

Oh, there is so much to do! I wish you a wonderful stay!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary_77
Member # 5264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary_77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not talking about egyptian people. I know egyptian people and i love them. I mean is it difficult for a girl alone to be on holiday for a month. Languages, taking cabs, going from 1 place to another. The simple things............
Posts: 38 | From: Holland | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary_77:
I am not talking about egyptian people. I know egyptian people and i love them. I mean is it difficult for a girl alone to be on holiday for a month. Languages, taking cabs, going from 1 place to another. The simple things............

Difficult yes but you asked was it safe. Part of the charm of going to a foreign country is making mistakes and learning from them.

Hands up who hasn't been ripped off by an Egyptian taxi driver and taken to his 'cousins' perfume factory. OK all you people with your hands up haven't been to Cairo

I guess you ought to define what you mean by safe. Safe from what, new experiences.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
YES, you are safe in Cairo, more than in USA or UK at least. You are NOT safe from:

2. trying to cross the roads (but someone will help you if they see you having trouble)
have a great time

...yes and the spell never wears off!

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol_2004
Member # 5088

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol_2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

Difficult yes but you asked was it safe. Part of the charm of going to a foreign country is making mistakes and learning from them.

Hands up who hasn't been ripped off by an Egyptian taxi driver and taken to his 'cousins' perfume factory. OK all you people with your hands up haven't been to Cairo

I guess you ought to define what you mean by safe. Safe from what, new experiences.

No come on Akshar give the girl a break. It must be a daughnting prospect going to live in a foreign country for a month. Don't worry you will be fine. Some times the language barrier can make things a liitle difficult but in my opinion everything else is relatively easier than in the UK.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been ripped off by cab drivers in Cairo (and why would you agree to go his relatives' shop unless you were willing to pay extra?) but Luxor is another story...

Anyway, "ripped off" is relative. If you think you can afford the price and you're entertained and charmed by the seller so that you walk away with a great memory, then great.

If you're on a budget (and it sounds like you might be if you're going for a month) then time works to your advantage. Don't buy the first week, make yourself familiar to the shops and when they see you're still around the 2nd week, the prices will go down.

You'll be fine as you are perfectly safe to walk alone in Egypt even at 3am - and you'll definitely meet a lot of people who'll want to befriend you. Just use common sense like you would at home and stay in public places if you're with strangers.

Are you going to be in Cairo the entire month?

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
denisegr
Member # 5167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for denisegr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apart from no 4 I am guilty on all counts.Especially no 3. you are safe in Cairo, more than in USA or UK at least. You are NOT safe from:

have a great time

[/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 26 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Memo2000
Member # 3996

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Memo2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello
ok you can read more about Egypt here. http://www.travel-egypt.ha22.com
Thanks
Halim
http://www.halim-hosting.com

Posts: 271 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptourguide
Member # 5233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptourguide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
peace and mercy from the one GOD(ALLAH)to u
i am Egyptian girl and i want telling u is Egypt one of the savviest countries in the world for women
only advice i giving for u try to be modest Egyptian mostly religious and Vail spread so much so if u wear some thing short or cut or sexy u will be the only one in the streets sou can not prevent the eyes and comments if u wear modest long,wide ,covering ur arms.the people will preached that and saying that u respecting our religion and rolls
any other help in Egypt from Egyptian women just email me without any hesitation
u r welcome and good luck
http;//soha.egypt.tripod.com

------------------
seeing ur name in heroghlphic letters,list of best egyptien webs,pics and information about egypt,under water museum and visit this web http://soha.egypt.tripod.com

Posts: 167 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egyptourguide:
peace and mercy from the one GOD(ALLAH)to u
i am Egyptian girl and i want telling u is Egypt one of the savviest countries in the world for women
only advice i giving for u try to be modest Egyptian mostly religious and Vail spread so much so if u wear some thing short or cut or sexy u will be the only one in the streets sou can not prevent the eyes and comments if u wear modest long,wide ,covering ur arms.the people will preached that and saying that u respecting our religion and rolls
any other help in Egypt from Egyptian women just email me without any hesitation
u r welcome and good luck
http;//soha.egypt.tripod.com

A warm welcome to this board, Egyptourguide.
ES needs more thoughts and opinions of Egyptian women. Thank you for joining......

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonicdude
Member # 5747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonicdude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is very safe. But as a foreign woman you are going to be flirted with, sexually harassed via comments, and even proposed to. I can almost guarantee this.

Egyptian men have lack of self control, in my opinion. Of course they will deny this. Someone might even try to touch you in a crowd setting, probably a teenage boy, if you are young and tempting. All this is harmless, if I can use that word. Meaning not dire serious, just very annoying type of harassment.

Stand your ground and hold yourself with confidence. If there is any problem, just start shouting and people will come or turn their heads, which will be suffice to get rid of the annoying person. Egyptian men play a game of 'wanting to look like good muslims' on the ouside yet hold inner perversions and lack of self control on the inside. If someone really bothers you, just bring it to the attention of others.

These words aren't ment to frighten you. As stated above, Egypt is very safe and fun. And the harassment is more of the annoying 'bee flying around your head type', not dangerous. If you are in a weird situation, find an Egyptian woman to stand beside or to help you.

When are you planning on going? Try to get the e-mails or telephone numbers here of some Egyptian women who might be able to answer some guestions or give assistance to you once you arrive in Cairo.

Be prepared in your mind. Egyptians often don't even realize the problems that foreign women experience in Egypt. Often it has nothing to do with denial, but with ignorance or unawareness to all the serious problems within the tourist industry.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com