EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » where to eat in luxor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: where to eat in luxor
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13 days to go and we will be there

just wondered where you go when you go out for a meal and what you think is the nicest thing on there menu

our fav of all last year was tajine at maxims > )

would love to hear all your rec's and where you go ??

west bank would be very welcome too as we love it over there

tried cafe africa last time and that was nice !
any others ??

bye for now

gary

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Without Prejudice
Member # 6180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Without Prejudice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My West Bank recommedations

Al Gezera Hotel rooftop resturant and Tutankamun. both have great views, fresh tasty food and great character. Al Gezera hotel serves alcohol but Tutankamun doesn't. Neither has a menu lol

------------------

Posts: 14 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Without Prejudice
Member # 6180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Without Prejudice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Without Prejudice (edited 23 December 2004).]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for that WP
we are going to try them both as we seem to spend most of our time over there

are they both easy to find and probably a daft question but ,,,, what shall i order ??

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the Lantern in Medina Street. Their food in excellent and there is a lot of it.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Autobahn
Member # 6098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autobahn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
Try the Lantern in Medina Street. Their food in excellent and there is a lot of it.

What kind of food do they serve?

Posts: 229 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mainly European but they have special nights when they offer othere menues.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uttt

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
has anyone heard of pirates in luxor ????
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
It is near the sheraton hotel but I have not heard any good reports of it.
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
thanks LL

give that 1 a miss then

what about a good chineses??

lotusflower
Member # 4661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotusflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try the new Korean/Chinese at Marwa Hotel, Television St., Luxor.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I think the new one in TV Street will be better than the old one but it is not that easy to find because you have to go into the hotel to reach it.

There is one near the big hotels in Ibn el Walid Street but the food there is bland. I have been told that the one at the Hilton is very good.

gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
did try that chinese you mention last year LL
it was a nice change from tajine (which we love )but yes it was a bit bland.
television st it right where we stay (novotel) so going to have a look for it
just got to get past the kalech drivers
think ive spelt it right
as you seem to be a mine of info
know of any laundrettes while we are there ??
usually get the hotel to do it but last year our biggest expense was 'the laundry!!!!' LOL

egyptiansue
Member # 5608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptiansue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chinese at the Hilton is very good and 55 egyptian pounds for a set meal that is really nice.
Posts: 13 | From: Gosport, Hants, UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LivinginLuxor
Member # 5660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LivinginLuxor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the best places to eat, which doesn't get the numbers of customers that it should, as it is in Karnak, is Genesis Bar, about 100 yards or so from the entrance to the Hilton. Their Hot & Spicy chicken is to die for!!!! And, unlike many of the restaurants mentioned, it has a liquor license, so you can 'enjoy' a glass of Obelisk with your meal.

Also, in the town centre, Jamboree is a good place to eat, but it is a dry restaurant. It has recently added a second floor, to accomodate more customers.

Snobs in Fairouz is excellent, but caters mainly to British ex-pats. If you go there, try the duck in orange sauce!

Posts: 16 | From: Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Gary. there are no Launderettes of the European variety in Luxor but any of the ironing shops will do your washing and ironing for you at a very reasonable rate. Ironing is 50 piastras an item - washing will be about the same. Most of them give a very good service. There are plenty of them in the streets that run off TV STreet and Medina Street near your hotel.
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Hi Egyptian Sue. It was really nice to meet you and I am sure that we will meet again sometime. I hope that you enjoyed your holiday.
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
sorry LL thats what i meant
didnt mean a 'real' laundry

this is great all these new places to try !

sue , never been to the hilton so going to give it a go

livinin , that sounds really nice if its the one im thinking of is it right opposite the ticket office at karnak as we had a beer there last year before the light show ?
someone mentioned snobs last year but cant remember where they said it was but know doubt we will find it
is the jamboree one of the ones where there a 2 side by side ?
(think that made sense)
out of luxor temple turn left and along there i think ??

now im getting myself confused
typical man .............

bye for now

wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wills76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hilton chinese too die for always go when I am in Luxor and the japanse at the sonesta I also recommend they do set menu's of meat or seafood
Posts: 127 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
the hilton is out by karnak isnt it ??
wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wills76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Gary - Taxis and kaleshes are no longer aloud to sit outside your hotel due to what happened at taba, we go from the etap and give the driver 20 l.e
Posts: 127 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
WHAT ?!?!?
no taxis or kaleshes outside hotel
you mean all the hotels ?

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Snobs is in Farous on the far side of the International Hospital. It is small but the food is good. It is run by an Egyptian man and his english wife.

If you come out of Luxor temple turn to the right and at the Mina Palace hotel turn right again. The Jamboree is down that road on the lefthand side.

wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Yes all hotels but you will find them parked round corners
egyptiansue
Member # 5608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptiansue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
Hi Egyptian Sue. It was really nice to meet you and I am sure that we will meet again sometime. I hope that you enjoyed your holiday.

Posts: 13 | From: Gosport, Hants, UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptiansue
Member # 5608

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for egyptiansue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

We had a great time, it was so nice to meet you and Debbie too. The Lantern is a lovely place to eat and to chat. We used it all the time virtually and their egyptian night is to die for. Nasser's Mum does a wonderful authentic meal, I would recommend anyone to try it. Has Debbie heard about 7 days, 7 ways closing? She may want to buy some things for the restaurant. Hope to chat again soon.

sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone, Thought I would just correct some false information about 7days7ways closing?

It is not closing. It has been temporarily shut down over Christmas because it is being completely refurbished to make it even better than ever.

Small John has been in England for about a month so that he could spend Christmas with his family and big John has just recently gone to join them. They were due to go to Thailand for their holiday, and in view of the disaster, have decided to spend the time in the UK.

They will both be returning to Luxor in the near future, and shortly the newly refurbished restaurant will be re-opened for business as usual.

Charlie

Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
quote from big john !!

this is official from the horses mouth small john has already gone to u/k to sort stuff out there and i shall be going very soon maybe next week so if anyone wants to buy any flat contents then please get in touch soon everything from 9 aircons to 3 piece sweets to bedroom furniture all english syle stuff

wot does that mean then
??????

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Maybe somebody is playing games.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 02 January 2005).]

sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John and John still have their original home and most of its contents, although he decided to offload a few things which were surplus to requirements. The staff have been retained and their dog and parrot is still there until they return. The staff at 7 ways are certainly not aware of the fact they are not coming back after their holiday. 9O percent of their home is still there. They would hardly leave everything and just go! Maybe people have assumed more than was intented. Charlie.
Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
John has let his flat for two months. He stated here that he was going home for good and that he had had enough of Luxor. (My name has been tagged onto two if his air conditioners)and a friend of mine has been in contact about some of his furniture when the let is finished. However, during his stay in England he might well change his mind and decide to stay in Luxor after all. Stranger things have happened. Most of Luxor's ex-pats are going home for good at least once every week.

Whatever he decides, it does not mean that 7 days would close as it has been made clear here on another line that John and John are not the sole owners of the place.

gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
good point LL would be daft to close a place thats busy and forgot bout other owners
did get a bit sad though
remember our 1st time in luxor we felt home sick and spent most of our time there chip butties
cant wait now to try all these new places though ..............
1 more day yippee !!!!!

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Safe journey. If you go in the Lantern then give them my best wishes.
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pirates has now turned into "Mad Dogs and English Men". They have a new owner and are opening this Thursday. They will be selling English Style Food as well as International. I have been invited to try it. I will let you know what it is like.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
thanks LL and will do
denisegr
Member # 5167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for denisegr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The renamed Pirates hotel, is that the one above Allysons the jewellers/giftshop?
Posts: 26 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by denisegr:
The renamed Pirates hotel, is that the one above Allysons the jewellers/giftshop?

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
denisegr
Member # 5167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for denisegr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenzie , you quoted me but did not add a reply?
Posts: 26 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by denisegr:
Kenzie , you quoted me but did not add a reply?

Sorry, Yes it is.

denisegr
Member # 5167

Rate Member
Thanks for that.
the watcher
Member # 6720

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for the watcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my money the best place to eat in Luxor every time is SNOBS. Its a little small but very cosy and the owner is a superb chef. The prices are ridiculously low for the quality of the food you get and the terrific presentation. The fillet of beef is, in my opinion, totally unsurpassed but other dishes are also excellent.
The Amoun is good if you want to eat outside in an informal place in the centre of town and the Ritz is also quite a nice little restaurant although the decor is a bit tacky and the food variable.I haven't eaten in the Lantern but it has had very mixed reviews. I have met some people who have had good meals there but others have found the food to be poorly cooked and the waiting times far too long. Residents of Luxor will of course have their own views but I hope this information will be useful to new visitors.

Posts: 11 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com