EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » city of the dead?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: city of the dead?
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, my friends who are visiting me want to go to the City of the Dead. How do i get a taxi there? whats the name in Arabic? is there a spot better than others to see? How much is a taxi from tahrir to there?

------------------
"Whashing One's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral" -Freire-

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call a driver named Raafat Khella. He is a taxi driver and knows the City of the Dead forwards and backwards. He used to be a policeman there. He can show you it well. If he isn't available, another good one is Mr. Hanafy. He is also very good at showing the City of the Dead.

Raafat - 010-105-7081
Mr. Hanafy - 012-348-4822

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Debbie!!
by the way I found the volume 1 bookstore very easily after I talked to you! thank you very much! I finally found a nice daily planner and a few interesting books!

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went round the City of the Dead for the first time last week. It was an amazing place. For anyone who has not seen it, the City in mad up of thousandds of tombs,has a large mosque in the middle and covers a vast area of Cairo. The streets are completely lined with tombs which ofen look like small one-storey houses.

From the top of the minarette you can see that three quarters of the area is still as it was although some of the tombs are lived in but the other quarter has become a small town with some tombs having three stories of flats built on top of them. In this part, the ground floor tombs have been turned into coffee shops, car repair shops and just about everything else that you would find in an Egyptian village.

The highlight of my visit was the tomb of King Farouk which I saw just as the sun was setting. It was like something from every Vampire film I had ever seen. Including a curator with a big key, an open trap door to an underground vault and fading light. Spooky but exhilerating.

If you are in Cairo it is certainly worth adding to your itinerary. Also I had no feeling of danger or unease that the guidebooks sometimes warn of. I felt as safe there as anywhere else in Caiaro. I shall certainly return to study the area in more depth.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
double posting......... sorry

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 30 December 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shangrila_0302
Member # 6280

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shangrila_0302     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi annie, is there a city of a dead.

please do tell me more after you have vist that place.

bye sweet.

Posts: 8 | From: singapore | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its the most enormous cemetary you have ever seen. Its famous because people have made their homes living between and sometimes even in the tombs. Charlie
Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Shangrila - There really is one and it is fascinating. Put it on your 'must visit in Cairo' list. Mind you if annie goes there and is true to form then it is bound to be eventful and it would be interesting to know which of its 'internees' jumps on her bones and ravishes her.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 09 January 2005).]

wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wills76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will have to put that on my to do list for this year LL sounds very interesting.
Posts: 127 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is something to be seen. I dont think there is anything quiet like it anywhere in the world. Charlie
Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com