EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Where NOT to eat in Luxor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where NOT to eat in Luxor
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK we have stated where to eat in Luxor so lets try where NOT to eat. Any bad experiences?
Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Kenzie, This is quite an amusing topic really, but I would say all the places that are not recommended. From my point of view, I would say dont eat in a restaurant unless you see lots of people using it. With a very slow turn over, the food could have been lying around for days and with food poisoning very high on my agenda, those are places I always avoid.

Ironically, I would say that I have had 4 cases of food poisoning in Egypt, and so far they have all been hotels. One was the Novotel, one was the Arabasque Hotel, one was the Golden Palace and the other was the Emilio Hotel. Charlie.

Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie
how could you ??
we always stay at the novotel
but have to agree the food is ........
well lets just say our 1st year there the tour rep said always eat in your hotel
mmmmmmmmm worst meal we had in the whole 2weeks we were tehre

GEMS is the worst place to eat !!
food and waiter both very good but the owner is a complete letch so wont be going there again
food can be the best in the world but if you have a 'pervy' at your table all through your meal it can begin to taste not too good
yes i know it would of been easier to tell him to go away but was trying to be polite
and it was our 1st year there and still a bit wet behind the ears

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know where I can buy a decent cup of coffee - other than the one I get as a special at the Sheraton.

The coffee usually comes in a sachet with tepid water and reconstituted milk that has only been shown the packet it came in.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LL, I know what you mean. What is even worse is when they advertise Nescafe sachet but you get a cheaper version. Its awful.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The coffee is Reconstituted mud but many places offer a semi-decent cup of tea though
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
I didn't like the Italain Food at the Meridien. Plus they mixed up my food and drinks order. I asked for cola and got sprite. They wrong food arrived to the table.
hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hassancheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie:
OK we have stated where to eat in Luxor so lets try where NOT to eat. Any bad experiences?

Dont eat anything off those street vendors, unless you want a bad case of gastroinstestinitis(sp).

Posts: 358 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJKeefy™:   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
I would like to know where I can buy a decent cup of coffee - other than the one I get as a special at the Sheraton.

The coffee usually comes in a sachet with tepid water and reconstituted milk that has only been shown the packet it came in.

THE HILTON - U get A Jug Of Filter Coffee, Makes About 5 Cups, And Home Made Biscuits, 9LE With The Tax

DJKeefy™

Posts: 137 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of us without cast-iron stomachs, don't eat the stuff that the old guy on the ferry sells to the passengers (chickpeas?) as they're washed with water from the Nile!
Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I have been told that the water of the Nile flows fast enough and is dilute enough to be considered harmless - but I would not chance eating those chickpeas. All the rubbish from the ferry and just about everywhere else is swept straight into the river and he just lowers a bucket and pours it over them. Dodgey.
DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJKeefy™:   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehehehehehe Luxorlover - Only Last Month I Sat Having A Drink Round The Pool At Novotel, And Took This Photo of A Dead Buffalo Floating Down The Nile, Put Me Off Meat, All I Could Think Of Was Some Egyptian Pulling It Out & Cooking It.
http://www.djkeefy.com/pics/buffalo.jpg <---Click Here

DJKeefy™

Posts: 137 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Keefy. I sympathise with you. When i was living on the west bank i sat by the river for an hour every day for four years and i saw everything float by from a camel to a goat. As you said, it puts you right off.
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Don't worry Keefy it is against their beliefs to eat something that died in such a way.
DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie:
Don't worry Keefy it is against their beliefs to eat something that died in such a way.

Hey Thats Good To Hear Kenzie, But Dont Alot Of Them Break There Beliefs, Probably In The Case Of Eating Something Thats Has Died, I Think They Would Not Eat It, But Cooking It In A Restuarant To Make Money From The Tourists I Think Would Be A Different Matter..

OH I Got To Stop Thinking Like This - Soz Kenzie

DJKeefy™

DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
What About The Egyptian Water, I Know Quite A Few Ex-Pats Here Who Still Use Bottle Water To Make Tea.

Just Incase Anyone Out There Does Not Know, If You Keep Boiling The Water When You Make Your Tea. Coffee Etc, For About 15 Seconds More (Keep Ya Finger On The Button On Electric Kettles)- Waft The Steam Coming Out, You Can Smell The Dirt In The Water, After About 15 Seconds This Will Evapourate, And Your Water For Your Drink Will Taste Good. Try It
ALSO Let The Water Cool And Bottle It, They Is No Taste Of The Clor And Dirt, And Should Not Upset Your Stomach..

DJKeefy™

[This message has been edited by DJKeefy™: (edited 05 January 2005).]

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Keefy.

I used to do that with the water but now I have returned back to bottled mineral water. I don't want to take the risk.

DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
Me Too Kenzie, Its Just That I Cant Be Bothered, Doing What I Said Above, But Just Boiling Like I Said To Make Tea Etc Is OK.. I Do Drink Egyptian Water Though If It`s Very Cold, If Need Be. U Know Them Machines In The Streets, For Some Reason It Tastes OK From Them.

Soz Kenzie I Have Steered Off A Bit With Your Topic.

DJKeefy™

EDIT AGAIN
I Think I Need English Lessons Not Arabic, My Spelling Is Getting Veerry Baddd

[This message has been edited by DJKeefy™: (edited 05 January 2005).]

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Steer off all you like. LOL

Keefy. Where do you NOT eat in Luxor?

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Kenzie - probably the place he would not want to eat in is his own kitchen. One of the pleasures of Luxor is its range of restaurants. Even though some of them are lousy.
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my nephew to Grand Canaria once and he played me up or a whole fortnight! They will do this in their teens, so the next time I brought him to Egypt to get my own back, and he hasnt spoken to me for 7 years.

Well, he almost got bananered somewhere round the back of Karnak Temple. Well I told him he wasnt to go out on his own, a pretty blue-eyed blond boy! After that he stuck to me like s..t to a blanket, and when he was behaving himself I took him to a local restaurant. I told him not to eat the donkey burgers or the minced up rats in the bolognais, or the sliced water buffalo,
or the camel surprise, so he chose the curry....hahahahahahahha (and had the s...ts or a week) hahahahha

I asked him if he would like to come to India with me, and he told me he wouldnt even go to the shop with me..... hahahaha

Charlie (before I became sainted)

Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Charlie - with blond hair and blue eyes i am surprised that he did not get banana-ed everywhere not just at the back of karnak temple.

I had water buffalo steak in katmandu and it was excellent - not indulged in the donkey burgers and rat bolognese though. However I was sitting in roof top restaurant on the west bank near Hatshepsut's pad when the biggest rat I had ever seen ran out of the kitchen and around the wall. Yuk.

DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
No Luxorlover I love Cooking I Can Make A Beautiful Curry - Can Make Good Pasta Dishes, Also Chinese.. I Make A Lovely Chicken Supreme Of Course With Basmati Rice. (At Least U Can Get That Here).. Im No Good At English Cooking, Leave That To Lee, But I Prefer Oriental Dishes To English, OK Accept Cheese And Onion Pasties.

DJKeefy™

denisegr
Member # 5167

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for denisegr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just Incase Anyone Out There Does Not Know, If You Keep Boiling The Water When You Make Your Tea. Coffee Etc, For About 15 Seconds More (Keep Ya Finger On The Button On Electric Kettles)- Waft The Steam Coming Out, You Can Smell The Dirt In The Water, After About 15 Seconds This Will Evapourate, And Your Water For Your Drink Will Taste Good. Try It

Does this apply to water on the cruise boats too?
I remember the first time I went to Egypt we had it drummed into us Do not drink the water. I was so bothered by this I had to rinse my teeth in vodka as I hadn't any spare water.
Incidently I went to a friends house in Cairo for a meal last year and drank tap water, it seemed to clear my dodgy tummy, I was fine for the rest of the holiday.

Posts: 26 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Keefy - when are you going to invite me over for dinner.

I have been drinking the water in Luxor since I got here without any ill-effects but it has to be very cold because otherwise it tastes too strongly of chlorine.

sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Hello Luxorlover, I was told they eat those big rats, well they probably get into the tourists food. Am told they are a bit like chicken. Yes I did have problems protecting Waynes virginity which is why he decided to stay within a few feet of me. He came out a hard-nut and went back a whimp. He couldnt understand why he was getting all this attention. Well just look at me Ive qualified for a bus pass and they wont leave me alone! Charlie
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Charlie - ageing like old wine. Sharp and fruity.
DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
Hmmmmm luxorlover

I like A Good Bottle Of Wine (RED)

DJKeefy™

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Keefy, are you flirting? LOL.
DJKeefy™:
Member # 5954

Rate Member
No No No, I Just (help) Looked It Could Be Taken That Way.

What With CHARLIE !!!

No I Would Be Good And Probably Drink My Nice Wine Behind Karnak Temple, Ive Heard The Views Are Very good!!!

DJKeefy™

sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Let me just say something about drinking the water on the West Bank. A lot of it is on the water main now, but still a lot isnt. Many people still get the water from the wells with either a hand pump or an electric pump. Either way the water ends up in a tank on the roof. This becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. Just take a look inside one day, and you will not believe what you have been drinking.

I was assured by my friend over there that it was safe to drink the water. Well I became very ill indeed, so bad in fact I had to go back to the UK and have private treatment very urgently. I had caught an amoeba disease which is not curable unless caught very quickly. The first signs are gut infection. If the parasite migrates to the blood it can cause blindness and all sorts of things. By the time its discovered it could b too late. I was lucky, they found it within 2 days of my arrival in UK. I was cured of it but was told I was very lucky indeed. Now I never drink Egyptian water unless officially bottled. My partner also contracted the disease, and at the time we lived in the Ramla area. Charlie

egyptiansue
Member # 5608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptiansue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of where not to eat, I would say don't eat at the Isis Hotel, the food was crap. Food at the Hilton is nice, Sheraton Pool restaurant was nice, Maximes is good and so is the Lantern. Novotel buffet was not bad, but the Isis, forget it.
Jems cannot get the order right so I wouldn't bother eating there again. My daughter had a falaffel sandwich from a stall at the end of the souk, McDonalds end, and it was lovely, and to top it all she was not ill. Our best meal ever was Tuesday nights, egyptian evening at the Lantern, it was to die for but must be booked in advance. We would have eaten it every day if we could.

Posts: 13 | From: Gosport, Hants, UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonesomecowboyburt
Member # 6351

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonesomecowboyburt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is the Lantern?

Sounds really good. Is it expensive?

Posts: 9 | From: Bishop Auckland, England | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Its not expensive. Great value for money.

Its at the bottom of St Joseph Street turn right. On the right next to Adham Photo shop.

1 minute walking from St Joseph Hotel

lonesomecowboyburt
Member # 6351

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonesomecowboyburt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Kenzie.

We are coming back to Luxor in August. Was there last year and did all the touristy things. What would would you recommend for this year?

Posts: 9 | From: Bishop Auckland, England | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonesomecowboyburt
Member # 6351

Rate Member
What kind of food does the Lantern do?
(meant to ask that last time)

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
European - but they have special nights when they serve Egyptian food as well as their normal menue.
lonesomecowboyburt
Member # 6351

Rate Member
Thanks Luxorlover. Will give it a try. Do you have to book or can you just turn up?
Am I asking too many questions for a newbie?

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
You can just turn up but if you want Sunday Dinner with roast beef and Yorkshire pud then you have to book. I gave the telephone number on the 'where to eat' line(can't remember it off hand).

Maxime's is good too. That is just past the Isis hotel.

WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lonesomecowboyburt:
What kind of food does the Lantern do?
(meant to ask that last time)

The Lanterns Restuarant is run by very good friends of mine and opened around last November. The food is delicious they have everything from the basic jacket potatoe toa full international menu with steaks, fish, chicken etc all freshly cooked with vegtables/rice/chips or salad. They also do a delicious variety of home-made deserts and all very reasonably priced. The Egyptian Night is to die for and gives you a chance to try some of the local dishes too. I highly recommend it !

Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonesomecowboyburt
Member # 6351

Rate Member
Thanks for that WL. I'll definately give it a try. We went to Maximes last time, and that was nice.

I came onto this site because I wanted information to help have a good holiday again in Luxor. Its a bit disappointing to see some of the stuff that is being written on other threads. Sad. Thanks for the help though.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com