EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » honeymoon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: honeymoon
keithmcdonnell
Member # 6293

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for keithmcdonnell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I am thinking of booking our honeymoon in cairo & sharm el shiekh @ the Mena House Hotel in Cairo & four seasons in Sharm.. are these choices of hotel any good? or are the better...

Also is it worth spending a couple of days in Luxor along the way.

And lastly what is the cost of general things like over tehet ( beer, wine, fod etc etc )

Sorry of the long message & thanks in advance for any help

Posts: 4 | From: coventry | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keithmcdonnell:
Hi

I am thinking of booking our honeymoon in cairo & sharm el shiekh @ the Mena House Hotel in Cairo & four seasons in Sharm.. are these choices of hotel any good? or are the better...

And lastly what is the cost of general things like over tehet ( beer, wine, fod etc etc )

Rooms at the Mena House Oberoi in Cairo are a bit run down, personally I would recommend the Four Seasons or Hyatt Regency in Cairo.

Eating out in Cairo is quite cheap with plenty of restaurants to choose from. Check out www.cairodining.com for tips on where to eat. Alcoholic drinks can be quite expensive.

Hope this helps.

Ann

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi

Forgot to mention that Luxor is definitely worth a visit!

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keithmcdonnell
Member # 6293

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for keithmcdonnell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks ANN.. i'll check out those two hotels.. i actually picked the mena house as it seemed close the pyrimids so thought it would be handy... i'll check those other 2 out now

Posts: 4 | From: coventry | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Four Seasons in Sharm is about as good as it gets and that is very very good. You will love it. Lucky bride

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi

If you want to save money...as most foods inside resorts are rediculously priced...buy general things at the supermarkets outside hotel...and stock your fridge.

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
quote:
Thanks ANN.. i'll check out those two hotels.. i actually picked the mena house as it seemed close the pyrimids so thought it would be handy... i'll check those other 2 out now

You'll have a lovely view from the Mena House as it overlooks the pyramids but the hotel is very far from the airport and not conveniently located for nightlife entertainment in downtown Cairo or other areas such as Zamalek.

keithmcdonnell
Member # 6293

Rate Member
Hi Ann

would that be the four seasons 'the first' or 'Nile Plaza' that you are reffering to... also someone else has just mentioned the hyatt at sharm, saying that is also very nice and comparable to the four seasons .. any thoughts?

Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
quote:
Hi Ann

would that be the four seasons 'the first' or 'Nile Plaza' that you are reffering to... also someone else has just mentioned the hyatt at sharm, saying that is also very nice and comparable to the four seasons .. any thoughts?

Hi,
I was referring to the Four Seasons in Giza, opposite the zoo but I know they have opened another Four Seasons in Cairo (must be the Nile Plaza). A friend of mine spent his honeymoon at the Hyatt Regency in Sharm and was very pleased with the hotel.
Hope this helps.
Ann

timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mena House is really only good for the Pyramids. Everything else of interest is miles away downtown. If you do decide to stay there (it is romantic...), just be prepared to fork out for taxi trips into town.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
denisegr
Member # 5167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for denisegr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ramses hilton in Cairo is very nice, the rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfortable, it is very central and handy for shopping. It also overlooks the nile.
Local wines and beers are reasonably priced but spirits are expensive.
I am sure you will have a wonderful honeymoon, I can't think of anywere better to spend it.

Posts: 26 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ann is right - Luxor is definitely worth visiting. Seven thousand years of history on your doorstep and the romance of the Nile thrown in as a bonus. LL
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Keithmcdonal, You are only going to have one honeymoon presumably. Start as you mean to go on and spend your last penny and make this something to remember always.
Dont budget on your honeymoon. Stay at all the best places you can. You can go in the cheap hotels next time. Charlie

Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TDP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMMmmmm honeynmoon at the Old Cataract in the presidential suite....I can dream.x
Posts: 260 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harem girl
Member # 3817

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for harem girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi keith

le meridien pyramids is amazing http://www.lemeridien.com/egypt/cairo/hotel_eg1266.shtml
personally i think you should consider staying there at least one night (not sure how long you are intending to be in cairo for)- but just think - when will you again have the chance of seeing the pyramids from your window when you wake up? i can't think of anything more romantic.

don't be put off by the distance from pyramids to downtown - sure, it is not next door, but the drive is not that bad and you shouldn't pay more than LE30 (absolute most) to downtown (GBP3!). i am sure if you only stayed there one night you could coincide the stay with your visit to the pyramids in any case.

the grand hyatt hotel in downtown is amazing too - please check out the revolving restaurant on the top floor, again very affordable on GBP. the views over cairo of an evening are nothing but spectacular. http://cairo.grand.hyatt.com

you MUST go to luxor - valley of the kings, have a felucca ride on the nile, karnak and luxor temples are not to be missed. again, le meridien (v new) is great there.

do let us know what you decide!

best wishes
hg

Posts: 41 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But for a honeymoon in Luxor - definitely the Old Winter Palace not the bland multinational hotels.

Old Winter Palace in luxor
Old Cataract in Aswan

Those were the days. Sighhhhhhhhhhhh !!

I will have been married for 41 years in two weeks time and i still remember my honeymoon and the waves crashing against the rocks on the Cornish coast. Divine. Give yourself memories that will last a lifetime.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I agree Luxorlover. If they come to Luxor, they will never forget it, or it could be they will never get over it. Depends what they get up to of course. Saintly Charlie
Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primak
Member # 494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Four Seasons at the Nile Plaza ( the new one in Garden City, Cairo ) and the Four Seasons at Sharm el Sheikh. You cannot do better.
And for Luxor, stay at the ' Moudira' - splendid place.

Nothing else

Posts: 1516 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janice
Member # 6317

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Janice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I have just returned from Luxor. I stayed in the Hilton. We had a great time there and would highly recommed it to anyone. We are going to return this year. Luxor is a great place to visit. Especially the Valley or Kings and Queens. We found most eating places very cheap. We did eat in the Hotel mostly but all hotels have a choice of eating experiences. The Hilton had Italian and Chinees.

Janice

quote:
Hi

Posts: 1 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by primak:
And for Luxor, stay at the ' Moudira' - splendid place.

Nothing else

Now thats my idea of a honeymoon hotel!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Hello Keith, I dont know how much time you will have, but Cairo to Luxor is a l2 hour train journey, both ways, and its quite unpleasant, and Sharm to Luxor would involve another long journey. You dont say how long you have or whether you will be honeymooning here in summer or winter. That really can make quite a difference to the type of holiday you want. People, not used to the sun and heat, can get heatstroke quite easily, and people who live here do get used to it. Charlie.
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I have never quite got used to July in Luxor and feeling as though I have been put under a blow torch every time I come out of the door. But, the winters are divine.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kieth, cairo to Luxor is a 10 hour journey at night. You can get a night train and they are ok, I have done it a few times, cairo to aswan is 13 hours then you can work your way back to luxor and do aswan (abu simbel) first

have a fantastic time and congrats on the forthcoming marriage

Sheraton in Luxor is lovely, never stayed there but have eaten there a few times

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could go to Luxor from Cairo very quickly by plane, if time rather than money is a constraint.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonnaAS
Member # 5166

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for DonnaAS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Keith

Luxor is a must, Aswan even better and if you have lots of time do Abu Simbel. It's unbelievable.

We stayed at Sofitel Le Sphinx in Cairo. Rooftop views of the pyramids from there and a very good hotel too, but yes, it is a good drive from the airport, I guess it depends what you want from the place. We went for a meal at Mena House, nice enough, but not as glamourous as I'd expected. If you've never been to Egypt before you will probably find Cairo to be a bit 'manic', but the further south you travel, the more chilled people tend to be - Aswan being positively horizontal. You will have a fabulous honeymoon with memories to cherish forever. Good Luck!

Posts: 25 | From: Durham, England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keithmcdonnell
Member # 6293

Rate Member
thanks for all the advice guys.. it is really helping me with my decisions..

Just to answer a couple of the questions. we will be visiting early July, so after hearing about the scorching heat in Luxor ( i have heard 40 degrees + !!) i think i may leave luxor until my second visit when it is not so hot , as i am fair haired & white skin. hehe

So it looks like a Cairo & sharm twin centre trip.. maybe a coupl eof nights in cairo and then 5 nights in Sharm..

we would fly from Cairo to sharm so that shouldn't be too bad

at the mo.. it seems most people are reccomending either four seasons or le meridan in cairo .. and then either four seasons or Hyatt in sharm ( the hyatt is at number one on tripadvisor.com for sharm )

any more comments would be welcome.. and thank sagain for all your advie.. it is much appreciated

Regards
keith

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
You are right about the summer temperatures especially if you are fair skinned - but make sure you get to Luxor one day, it is a fascinating place.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharm is also in the 40's in July but with sea breezes it is nothing like being Inland.
Hotels are all airconditioned to easy to escape the heat. Can I be really boring and say if you are fair skinned bring factor 60 sun cream and yes I do mean factor 60. I would hate for sunburn to spoil your honeymoon

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com