EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » How to Call an Egyptian?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to Call an Egyptian?
Dulcibella
Member # 8141

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Dulcibella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I've been trying to call my friend in Egypt today. He still lives with his family, and whenever I've called, a man would pick up, say "hello" several times, speak in Arabic to someone next to him, and hang up on me. This has happened twice.

Is there a proper way of calling an Egyptian? Are some Egyptians uncomfortable speaking with an English speaker? I just don't understand why I was hung up on.

I said "Hi this is ----, may I please speak with [his nick name]?"
The second time, I said "Hi, this is ---- from ----, may I please speak with [his real name]?"

I don't know what to do. Is there a certain time that I should call? Is it rude to call at 9 or 9:30 pm?

If someone could please explain to me, I'd be most grateful. I really want to speak with my friend. I apologize for any ignorance on my part.

[This message has been edited by Dulcibella (edited 03 July 2005).]

Posts: 36 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primak
Member # 494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ladies, please explain the various possibilities to this - clearly - very nice but simple american lady.
Posts: 1516 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure this friend really wants to talk to you? According to what you said, it seems he's rejecting your call.
Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulcibella
Member # 8141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dulcibella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, that wasn't his voice on the other line. It was another man with a much deeper voice.

quote:
Originally posted by RaniaMe:
Are you sure this friend really wants to talk to you? According to what you said, it seems he's rejecting your call.

Posts: 36 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, but you also say this man who answered you talked to someone else (your friend?), and then, hung up.

Maybe you can e-mail him and ask him what's going on? Is he a very good friend of yours?
There is no specific manner to call an Egyptian, what you did is the right way. Does he have your phone number? If he's living with his family, maybe he doesn't want the whole family listen to what he's saying, or know that a foreigner is calling him, so I think he will prefer calling you rather than answering you at home.

All the best.

Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirty_Joker
Member # 8144

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Dirty_Joker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dear :

Wellcome to Egypt.Im looking to have a friends from the other countries and im ready to host you at my home with my family without anything (( FREE )).
If you need any help and wanna to keep intouch,mail me at this addresse :
express_joker@yahoo.com
or call me in this mobile number :

Good Luck & Best Regards
Amro Hassan

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HAPPY_COUPLE
Member # 8235

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HAPPY_COUPLE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U STUPID AMRO HASSAN .... WAT THE HELL U TRYIN TO DO ..
SHUT DA HELL UP AND GET OUT OF HERE
U GIVE A NEGATIVE PICTURE ABOUT EGYPTIANS
THE LIKES OF YOU SHOULD BE FIRED FROM DA INTERNET

Posts: 33 | From: RUSSIA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your 'friend' hasn't told his family about you, therefore they assume you have the wrong number.

your 'friend' probably doesn't want to deal with the crap he'd get from his family if he did admit some foreign girl is calling him because:
1/ men/women are typically not friends in their culture

2/ women don't call up men at home, typically. if they do, they're the fiance/girlfriends or they're slutty.

3/ his family may assume he's fooling around with you and he'll get grief from them

4/ OR you misunderstood that your 'friendship' is part of the 'welcome to egypt' package and it's part of his job to be friendly to people.

These are ALL guesses and stereotypes, so please don't get offended.

Bottom line is, if your friend works in tourism industry, whoever answered must've said to him... some foreign woman called.

Now, how your friend reacted to that is something only you can interpret. (Most people would email you saying, did you call me? Or write down something simple in english for his family to answer next time you called.)

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Dulcibella:
My goodness what a lot of supposition above.

Your friend must have given you his phone number so one would think it is OK for you to call him at his family home.

Now as you are calling Egypt lets 'assume' his family don't speak English and get rather confused on the phone not knowing what to say to you if your friend is not there.

So try this in arabic:-

Mumkin Akallim .......... his name ( not nickname) This mean can I speak to ....

If they say Mish Hena or Mish Mawgood then that means he is not there.

IF by any chance this man is more than a friend then please take the time to do some research on this site to understand how very different relationships are in Egypt to the West. And yes if he works in tourism then please take care before things go any further.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiN_iNN
Member # 5754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiN_iNN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcibella:
Hi!

I've been trying to call my friend in Egypt today. He still lives with his family, and whenever I've called, a man would pick up, say "hello" several times, speak in Arabic to someone next to him, and hang up on me. This has happened twice.

Is there a proper way of calling an Egyptian? Are some Egyptians uncomfortable speaking with an English speaker? I just don't understand why I was hung up on.

The second time, I said "Hi, this is ---- from ----, may I please speak with [his real name]?"

I don't know what to do. Is there a certain time that I should call? Is it rude to call at 9 or 9:30 pm?

If someone could please explain to me, I'd be most grateful. I really want to speak with my friend. I apologize for any ignorance on my part.

1st of all make sure that u r dialing the right number and the right country code...
If u've any other Egyptian friends u can give him/her the number and let them call to check out wts goin on, It's will be much easier cause they speak arabic.

There is a possiblity that the other party answering the phone doesn't speak English and that's why he hangs up.

Good luck

Posts: 140 | From: Cairo | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a passing thought.... are you sure he gave you the right number?? he may have been looking for a cowards way out.??(Possible with Egyptian men!!)
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi!

hi there, there are other possibilities too as i call egypt from the states very often, sometimes the calls do not connect through well so the person on the other end in egypt does not hear you, also are you using your home phone or your mobile or cell, I have found that when i try to call from my mobile i can hear them but they can not hear me at all. If you are calling from your home phone, if you are using a calling card that also sometimes causes problems with connection where they can not hear you. And also as someone else said, maybe they do not understand english so that they do not know what you are saying but it seems that if they are saying hello over and over they are not hearing you. Do you know your friends age??? Cause also if he is young, then maybe it is his father answering and he is not allowed to speak with girls over the phone...... but really i think maybe whoever is answering is not hearing you

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulcibella
Member # 8141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dulcibella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are completely right. I am happy to say that he has just e-mailed me explaining the reason for the hang ups. It is, as you said, that the man most likely couldn't hear me. He after elaborated that in America he had a very hard time establishing a strong phone connection with his family in Egypt. I must say...what a relief it is to have recieved his e-mail!

I must thank everyone for their thoughtful replies. It has meant so much to me knowing that there is a community such as this that really cares about its members.

And I wanted to add.....thank goodness he is not in the tourism bussiness!

Must go to sleep...I only had three hours of sleep last night. My ideal amount of sleep is ten hours, so I'm really in a daze. *yawm* Good night.

QUOTE]Originally posted by mysticheart:
hi there, there are other possibilities too as i call egypt from the states very often, sometimes the calls do not connect through well so the person on the other end in egypt does not hear you, also are you using your home phone or your mobile or cell, I have found that when i try to call from my mobile i can hear them but they can not hear me at all. If you are calling from your home phone, if you are using a calling card that also sometimes causes problems with connection where they can not hear you. And also as someone else said, maybe they do not understand english so that they do not know what you are saying but it seems that if they are saying hello over and over they are not hearing you. Do you know your friends age??? Cause also if he is young, then maybe it is his father answering and he is not allowed to speak with girls over the phone...... but really i think maybe whoever is answering is not hearing you[/QUOTE]

mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You are completely right. I am happy to say that he has just e-mailed me explaining the reason for the hang ups. It is, as you said, that the man most likely couldn't hear me. He after elaborated that in America he had a very hard time establishing a strong phone connection with his family in Egypt. I must say...what a relief it is to have recieved his e-mail!

I must thank everyone for their thoughtful replies. It has meant so much to me knowing that there is a community such as this that really cares about its members.

And I wanted to add.....thank goodness he is not in the tourism bussiness!

Must go to sleep...I only had three hours of sleep last night. My ideal amount of sleep is ten hours, so I'm really in a daze. *yawm* Good night.

QUOTE]Originally posted by mysticheart:
[b] hi there, there are other possibilities too as i call egypt from the states very often, sometimes the calls do not connect through well so the person on the other end in egypt does not hear you, also are you using your home phone or your mobile or cell, I have found that when i try to call from my mobile i can hear them but they can not hear me at all. If you are calling from your home phone, if you are using a calling card that also sometimes causes problems with connection where they can not hear you. And also as someone else said, maybe they do not understand english so that they do not know what you are saying but it seems that if they are saying hello over and over they are not hearing you. Do you know your friends age??? Cause also if he is young, then maybe it is his father answering and he is not allowed to speak with girls over the phone...... but really i think maybe whoever is answering is not hearing you

[/B][/QUOTE]

so glad to hear i was right, I too thought at first i had done something wrong the first time my boyfriend hung up on me!!!! Haha and was so so relieved to find out the real reason. Very happy for you

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guitar
Member # 8304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for guitar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Dulcibel . how are you ? it is my pleasure to get know you . really i wish that i think you have a soft heart so i like to get know you . my name is hany from egypt , if you want just send me .
guitarnight2003@hotmail.com . i will be happy if you send me . thank you .

Posts: 9 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 3491

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These long distance calls can be a very daunting experience, hamdullah! i feel happy for u that u have an explanation.
Posts: 461 | From: Kelantan, Malaysia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiley
Member # 8255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hope it is the correct explanation.. ok ..ok im sorry but i do.... for her sake or else there is going to be another post on how an egyptian broke a westeners heart....just a thought
Posts: 230 | From: uk/U.A.E | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulcibella
Member # 8141

Rate Member
No, don't worry. I called him using my long distance company without a calling card and the connection was great. I reached him. Unfortunately, it's $5 for the first minute, and $3 for every minute after that. Yikes!

quote:
Originally posted by smiley:
i hope it is the correct explanation.. ok ..ok im sorry but i do.... for her sake or else there is going to be another post on how an egyptian broke a westeners heart....just a thought

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, don't worry. I called him using my long distance company without a calling card and the connection was great. I reached him. Unfortunately, it's $5 for the first minute, and $3 for every minute after that. Yikes!

Holy f*ck buckets! I use an MCI card because my mother pays for it, and for only $15 I get about 40 minutes. You can refuel these cards 3 times a week for denomination of $5 to $60 dollars with a check card. The MCI card can be bought at Costco, if you would enter a costco.

Then there much cheaper, "Go Africa", "White" or "Red" card is about $5 for 35 to 50 minutes. It depends on the time of day, week and traffic of international calls to that particular country. I don't know if you go into any 'ethnic' neighborhoods. But a international or African grocery store does sell these cards. You just have to borrow some teens beat up car in order to access these neighborhoods. I take the bus (public transit) and often shop at these stores regardless so I am accustomed. The reason why I note this is because I have seen suburbanites enter these stores and put on latex gloves and try to make the transaction in less than 2 minutes and not wait in line. Yup talk about a phobia.

Then there are internet calls which can be free or vonage.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't matter anyway, the telephone calls are routed over the internet so connection clarity is sh*t.
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 3491

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smiley, yes i understand u, i spent many a long hour reading these posts of lament and heartbreak before i came to live in Egypt. But looks like Dulci's sorted her probs. I enjoy reading your comments on lots of posts,BTW.
Posts: 461 | From: Kelantan, Malaysia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com