EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Concerned about visit to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Concerned about visit to Egypt
Dulcibella
Member # 8141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dulcibella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all!

Lately I have been hearing a lot about anti-Mubarak sentiment in Egypt which has inspired many protests, and also violence. I understand the elections are being held in September, and I was wondering if it would be safe to come to Egypt during the last weeks of August? I would be flying to Cairo and then taking the train to Alexandria, where I would most likely stay. I would appreciate anyone's comments or opinions on this.

Also...is it easy to get lost in Egypt, even with a map in hand?

And...lastly (I promise), are female tourists often dangerously harassed in Egypt? For example, would it be possible for a group of Egyptian men to corner me? What I have read here has been very reassuring, but I just wanted to make sure considering I'm a young woman with little international traveling experience.

Again, thanks. :-)

[This message has been edited by Dulcibella (edited 07 July 2005).]

Posts: 36 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcibella:
Hello all!

Lately I have been hearing a lot about anti-Mubarak sentiment in Egypt which has inspired many protests, and also violence. I understand the elections are being held in September, and I was wondering if it would be safe to come to Egypt during the last weeks of August? I would be flying to Cairo and then taking the train to Alexandria, where I would most likely stay. I would appreciate anyone's comments or opinions on this.

Also...is it easy to get lost in Egypt, even with a map in hand?

And...lastly (I promise), are female tourists often dangerously harassed in Egypt? For example, would it be possible for a group of Egyptian men to corner me? What I have read here has been very reassuring, but I just wanted to make sure considering I'm a young woman with little international traveling experience.

Again, thanks. :-)

[This message has been edited by Dulcibella (edited 07 July 2005).]

Hi Dulcibella
I have traveled to egypt many times in the last 2 years and have been completely safe. I think the main thing maybe to avoid certain tourist places, at least this is what my boyfriend told me in may, we just went to normal places instead of tourist locations, he just didnt want to chance it though the risk was low. He is an egyptian and lives in cairo so i trust his judgement on this. As far as getting lost hahaha without him or an egyptian as a guide, i would be completely totally lost but if you can speak arabic i am sure it is much easier. If not try to get very precise directions ahead of time. And as far as being harassed by men, this has never ever happened to me at all not one time in the 5 times i have been to egypt even if i was alone in a place. Maybe a man or 2 may try to talk to you but they mean no harm to you just tell them to leave you be and walk away, if they offer something you do not want then simply say laa shukran, and walk away. You are safe in Egypt in my opinion. Just talk to the people you know in Egypt if you know anyone and ask their opinion on this matter of the public uprising as far as your safety

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dulcibella!

Unless you want to come here and protest about Mubarak and his government, you will be as safe, if not safer here than in many places in the world. Egypt actually employs special tourist police to look after the needs of foreigners.

If you can’t speak Arabic, and you are going into rural areas, yes, it’s very easy to get lost; otherwise it depends on how good you are following directions and how good the directions are. There are actually maps of Cairo, but maybe not of rural areas.

Harassment in Egypt is low level with men calling out to women and maybe trying to talk to them as has been said. But if you dress conservatively, act modestly, and don’t walk provocatively, and as was said above, make it clear that you are not interested you should be safe, insha Allah. The harassment isn’t the dangerous threatening type, it’s more the annoying type.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dulcibella, I quite understand you. When I arrived in Cairo during a muslim holiday the past January, pure blood was flowing on the streets...

It came from the enormous quantity of sheep by tradition slaughtered for the muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, which follows the annual Hajj or pilgrimage. (About like muslim Christmas?)

Actually, I made up the story here I did not arrive in Cairo but in Sharm and the "blood flowing on streets" I read from an internet diary of a male traveller who may have also exaggerated a bit, for the sake of excitement, of course. But I was concerned when i had learned about the holiday and the story behind it, how you were supposed to sacrifice your life to your god etc.. maybe there will be modern followers of islam who'll think NOW! is a good time to go to heaven and take along some non-believers (hey, you need some service people up there, too!). Anyway, I arrived in the middle of a most enjoyable family holiday, hotels were full of beautiful families and small happy children.

But maybe more important is that you stay away from any of the pro-US/pro-interference European capitals where there have been no explosions yet.

About harrassment... if you are not a female from US, in which case cat hissing equals with gross kind of sexual abuse, for you, then the harrassment in Egypt is probably completely upside down in the sense that you might be harrassed by women, but the sole aim of men seems to be to be your guardian angel or in any other way earn a smile or wave from you (so don't be stingy, please, you'll make their day!). And the older and more serious kind of men are simply the fatherly kind of protective and much more caring for your wellbeing than in any western country. Although I was with my boyfriend of course but in many cases i felt that it would have been so much easier for me alone, since I am of course a hard boilt North European gal, so I don't take any fussing around. (How you respect yourself and your self-assurance are very important for how you'll be treated, it is a bit about who'll dominate whom, in case of less ethical people like taxi drivers, people in hotels etc.) While being a crossover couple always rises questions and emotions - in any culture, PLUS, you are supposed to be kind of feeble and more of a sweet soft woman if have a man beside you but the same fact then also makes you a lot more woundable, "softer".

Just maybe stay away from the new high-rise areas that are packed with young people on streets who have nothing to do and where the sense of community and home has not yet developed (and maybe never will) - the modern Brooklyn kind of areas?? These new areas which lack all charm, character (and yes, you'll get lost because they all look the same) and where people move in then move out emotionlessly, these really seem to kill all unity between people and all morals, in any country, they lose the sense of shame and the 13-somethings are always the age group with dubious "experimenting" morals. urban ethics is different, it's about self-survival, not helping others.

The old parts of town (where also mostly older people are to be seen sitting around) are much bvetter because there you have the "neighbour watch" working for you :o)

About getting lost... my boyfriend was able to get lost nearly every time he returned from buying sandwiches or anything, but never me :o). So it probably depends whether you are a person who tends to get lost a lot and anywhere. But there are always plenty of taxies around, indeed, I never saw a standing taxi in Egypt and I've never seen a place where it is so easy and quick to get one on the street, so in the worst case just stop one and tell them where you need to go. Even a grossly overcharging taxi in Egypt is still a pretty cheap taxi. Esp in Alexandria you only have 2 kinds of fares: 4 pound for short rides (5-10 minutes) 10 pound for longer rides (10-20 minutes). Anmd tramways are agood indicator because there is one sure way about them - they are always built to pass some kind of centrsal places, no one builds traways from nowhere to nowhere. And they are cheap and the view is great and the speed is not high so - sit and indulge. (Again - don't forget to wave to nice smiling people :o)

[This message has been edited by nevermind (edited 08 July 2005).]

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadik12
Member # 7618

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sadik12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nevermind, can you clarify for me what exactly is meant by men who cat hiss at women. I have heard conflicting reports about this. I am American and while walking in Cairo with my husband and a female friend, the hissing began. We were both dressed modestly, so I was surprised by the reaction, which I had assumed, at the time, was not complimentary.
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sadik12:
nevermind, can you clarify for me what exactly is meant by men who cat hiss at women.

I really have no idea, but when I call my cat (or any cat since I have none) I'm usually drawn by very strong positive emotions towards said cat, about like grabbing it and hugging with all my might and maybe even placing a few kisses on its... moustache?
:o)

In general, I rarely wish to give negative meaning to people's reactions because I don't see so many negative people around. I see considerable amounts of fools of course but you can forgive a fool, can't you? And even they can be sympathetic, well-meaning fools.

So... suppose you just looked pattable enough to be hissed at? :o)

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadik12
Member # 7618

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sadik12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another ambiguous answer about the hissing thing. But, then again, fools trying to kiss and hug a female stranger still sounds like harrassment to me....meow.
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulcibella
Member # 8141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dulcibella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadik -- I read somewhere that actually, they hiss at you to get your attention, but not in a sexual way.

quote:
Another ambiguous answer about the hissing thing. But, then again, fools trying to kiss and hug a female stranger still sounds like harrassment to me....meow.

Posts: 36 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulcibella
Member # 8141

Rate Member
Sadik...actually, I learned that the hissing isn't in any way sexual, but is just used as a way to get your attention. Interesting, huh?

quote:

smiley
Member # 8255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is not hissing sound to be rude.. they make the sound to draw your attention.. maybe if they are in a shop or outside of it.. but i don't think it is to harrass or to hurt... just come to egypt enjoy yourselves and let the hissing begin.. i do not however suggest you pick up a cat and start kissing it..that is left to the lunatics.. and those not worried about rabies.. or who are trying to pass rabies to poor innocent cat...takeyour pic lol enjoy
Posts: 230 | From: uk/U.A.E | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Egyt by myself, as a single female. Had a fabulous time, and felt safer than in the USA. Just be careful, use some street smarts, pay attention to your surroundings and enjoy yourself.
Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com