EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Should we go ahead with our holiday?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should we go ahead with our holiday?
matt_wilco
Member # 8434

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for matt_wilco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Me and my family have booked a week long nile cruise in Luxor and were set to go in 3 weeks. Following the Sharm attacks we all seem a little rattled and I was just seeking some advice as to whether we should go ahead with the holiday or not?

Thanks

Matt

Posts: 1 | From: Crewe, Cheshire, England | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by matt_wilco:
Hi. Me and my family have booked a week long nile cruise in Luxor and were set to go in 3 weeks. Following the Sharm attacks we all seem a little rattled and I was just seeking some advice as to whether we should go ahead with the holiday or not?

Thanks

Matt

Security for the last decade has been the tightest around Luxor, Aswan and the necropolis.

It is safe comparably to Sharm or Cairo.

By the way you know the comics, "Get Fuzzy" by any chance?

By the way a Luxor this time of year is really hot. The heat alone will make any senseless young man worn out and not feel like setting off any attacks.

Besides on a cruise ship and the day trips on land will be heavily guarded. It still will be a very nice trip!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am in Luxor a lot and its probably safer than where you are coming from!

Luxor is a longgggg way from Sharm too and on a cruise boat even safer!

dont worry, you will have a wonderful holiday

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Since the incident in Sharm took place two days ago this holiday resort is probably the most secured place on earth right now - I swear! I definitely would pursue with vacation plans.

Listining to updates on German TV and radio I heard that most Germans will stay in Sharm to spend their vacation and not many cancellations of future bookings have been made so far.

Although I am very saddened about the recent terrorist attack, I still have trust in the Egyptians since I used to live there and they need our business now more than ever.

But of course its up to you how you will decide in the best interest for you and your family. Whereever you might go on vacation - have a wonderful holiday!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Cheffie and me are PRAYING that there will be flights in September to Egypt so I can take my planned week to see him again (I have had two 'by chance' escapes in London and now with the seeming attacks on Egyptian tourism workers (he is in a quiet resort)) we are saying '7 weeks god willing'.

[This message has been edited by catlover (edited 25 July 2005).]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primak
Member # 494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now let's be real...I would personally cancel my holiday to Luxor .
You have plenty of time to come some other time, one day when it will all be more peaceful.
How can you even ask this question of a forum, can't you think for yourself?
Unless you have the spirit of a kamikaze yourself , or feel the urge to help egyptians recover from this terrible shock .
I am egyptian myself , I worship my country but I would not tell people like you that it is safe to come here now, wouldn't take the responsability to do so.

Posts: 1516 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anywhere safe?
London, Madrid, Bali, Turkey, Taba, Sharm, Luxor?
Wherever we travel in today's climate, we can never be sure where we will encounter trouble.
So we have to weigh up the risks, and make our own minds up.
Personally, I would take the risk and visit Egypt, my chances of being bombed there are no higher than if I took a shopping trip into London, or lazed on a beach in Turkey or Bali (couldnt afford Bali though).

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pe@rson
Member # 6764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pe@rson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by matt_wilco:

Thanks

Matt

Hello Matt

All I can say is go for it mate. I'm sure you and the family will have a great (and safe) time there.

I'm from London myself (which suffered its own attacks 2 weeks ago) and I plan to go to Egypt early September and have no intentions of cancelling my trip.

As for Luxor you'll have a fantastic and memorable time. I would advice you to take a hot air balloon trip on the West Bank of the Nile during the dawn period. The scenerey is absolutely breathtaking and its an experience for the whole family.

Posts: 150 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptourguide
Member # 5233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptourguide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i understand your feelings and i am a tour guide but if they told me that there are work in sharm now i will go for simple reason IN THE NAME OF ALLAH (where ever you be the death will find you even if you where in fortification towers )the most honest is ALLAH
that what we believe so are you be sure if you changed your tripe or canceled it you will be in safe or your family ?
remember around the world now not only wars and bombs but earthquakes,natural disaster.......
so i think there no place you can guaranty it safe 100% even in side your house
if you let fear control your life you will have no life and also you will guaranty peace or life forever
go a head and wishing GOD protect you and your family well INSHA ALLAH

Posts: 167 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primak
Member # 494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Is anywhere safe?
London, Madrid, Bali, Turkey, Taba, Sharm, Luxor?
Wherever we travel in today's climate, we can never be sure where we will encounter trouble.
So we have to weigh up the risks, and make our own minds up.
Personally, I would take the risk and visit Egypt, my chances of being bombed there are no higher than if I took a shopping trip into London, or lazed on a beach in Turkey or Bali (couldnt afford Bali though).

It's different..In Egypt, tourists are targeted. In london, everybody is targeted.
I personally wouldn't go to Bali or Turkey either.
as for the protection of Allah , well, I don't adhere to that type of thinking.

Posts: 1516 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primak
Member # 494

:-) good to hear from you Debbie.
Well, It could be paranoia ( a bit) but I certainly don't go to the marriott cafe anymore..1/too may arabs 2/would feel very unsafe!
I don't know why the terrorists attacked these spots in particular this time , but historically , they target tourists.
A bomb in midan el tahrir would have been much easier and wold have killed many more egyptians if they really intended to do so.
we are living difficult times, sad times, and I really hope this world becomes a more peaceful place soon.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Primak - I'm surprised at you. Yeah, I agree with you in your disagreement with Tigerlily. I think that old "it's safer here now than it was last week" speel is old and tired and it's going to be hard to get anyone to believe it anymore.

Debbie, I need to disagree with you this time. Why don't you go down there and check things out since you are not to far? You probably find almost more security guards than tourists around right now. Come back and tell us.

Well, I would go instantly with my whole family on a vacation to Sharm if the prices would reduce - but it doesn't look like it. But I hope by Sep we might go off for some holidays again.

And I can just tell you about the German tourists that they are tough most of them stayed there and still intend to go on a trip to Sharm in the following weeks.

Where are you safe these days? Bombs blew up threw weeks and couple of days ago in London which is by air only 45 minutes away from my home. It can hit you anywhere now and I deeply hope that Egypt's tourism industry doesn't get all screwed up because of the Sharm incident - it also would hurt your business, dear Debbie, wouldn't it?

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 26 July 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[B]
Since the incident in Sharm took place two days ago this holiday resort is probably the most secured place on earth right now - I swear! I definitely would pursue with vacation plans.

This is going to be quite a hard sell, I don't think many people will buy into your argument that Sharm El Sheikh is a safe place. Sadly the world has become an unplace safe. The Foreign & Commonwealth Office of the UK does not advice against travel to Egypt (for the latest travel advice please see this link: http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618385875).

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am booked to go to Nuweiba in late September and at the moment have no intention of cancelling. I travel to work in London each day, you can't avoid it, and yes, it's scary, but you have to carry on as that is where my job is. The sad state of affairs is that nowhere in the world today is guaranteed 100% safe and terror-free. I was in Nuweiba for the same two weeks last year and arrived home 2 days before the Taba bombs, and this will not deter me from returning to the most beautiful place on earth.
Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've been at the nile hilton and truthfully, their idea of "security" is to make the cars open their trunks and actually make you open your bag when you go through the metal detector.

day two and the guy who supposedly looks under the cars for bombs looked bored to hell and if he recognized you (as a guest of the hotel or your driver) he'd do it for show.

the taxis still pull up in front - which really, is close enough to do intended damage.

i have to admit i am more nervous staying in a cairo hotel than i am in a beirut hotel.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

[B]
Since the incident in Sharm took place two days ago this holiday resort is probably the most secured place on earth right now

I would like to think this is true but it is not, sorry but think very carefully before coming to Sharm just now.
I flew between Sharm and Cairo yesterday, the security is still not at a level you would expect at a London airport on a normal day. The advice I have had for days from friends in high up positions in the police is don't go out. I am now going out, I have to but I don't see with my own eyes the sort of security you would expect after a major incident like this, what I see is kids playing at being soldiers. Sorry I love Egypt, I love Sharm but I am not going to lie.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... don't know. A "simple people" view about security is manned patrols on streets, i guess. The streets should swarm with police. This is both expensive (and where do you take one policeman for every non-policeman citizen anyway?) and probably not very effective because you only avoid the crimes that have already reached the "takeoff" stage, where a specific person or persons or any machine are already on way physically to commit the crime. While crimes begin with ingredients - a suitable person or persons, a mindset, an idea, a plan, the manufacturing process. These do not take place on streets.

I believe much more is done by analysis and knowlegeable, targeted prevention, don't know how well in Egypt but in advanced countries this must be the way they work. A sewerage-logic service - the less you know about it, the better it must be working. Not overly well, of course, until accidents of that kind still pass through. Maybe they should work harder on creative preventional development, trying to precede the advancement of criminal thought? And they've got the eyes of the whole society, the tool that used to work so well in an old-time village... We could all be engaged but I guess the ones geographically or by blood nearest to the subjects unfortunately are the most passive or helpless maybe, due to personal conditions and circumstances. Too weighed down with own problems to care, or having too little authority (e.g. parents or friends or siblings).

[This message has been edited by nevermind (edited 27 July 2005).]

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya_k
Member # 5526

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya_k     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm visiting first 2 weeks in September and also in 2 minds. Living in London, I realise nowhere is safe. For those living in Sharm - what is the atmosphere like? Are people going out in the evenings - or is it quiet? Have businesses been affected badly?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com