EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Khan el Khalili

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Khan el Khalili
lacalif
Member # 8463

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lacalif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of a good website that "maps out" the shops of the Khan? Specifically, I am looking for shops that sell semi-precious stones, good quality oils and gold.

Thanks!

Posts: 21 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lacalif!

I don't know of a website, but if you can get hold of a Lonely Planet guidebook for Egypt, that has a map showing where the different areas are.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lacalif, There is no map exactly. But if you are looking for precious stones, I can explain to you where you can get it.
When you are there, just go inside the narrow roads near mosque al hussain. just keep on walking. and then you will find many stores which sell lots of precious stone. rare ones and some carved as flowers or figures.
The gold there isnt that good though. its only 14 karat or 18. But you will find it if you follow the main road down to the first cross, and then take right. there you will find many gold stores. for the scented oils, go on the mainroad for the cars, and go downwards to Alazhar street, there you will find many oil stores. Dont know about the quality, but i guess you have to check it out yourself. I hope I helped here Mainly you just have to explore every street in khan il khalili, theres a lot of interesting stuff there.

Good luck

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Hi lacalif!
I don't know of a website, but if you can get hold of a Lonely Planet guidebook for Egypt, that has a map showing where the different areas are.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, the map of Khan Khalili is on page 87 of the 7th edition. Good luck!

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lacalif
Member # 8463

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lacalif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention, the map of Khan Khalili is on page 87 of the 7th edition. Good luck!

Yes, I have that book - however, I was hoping to find something more detailed. Or from personal experience like the last post describes.
Thanks!

Posts: 21 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptourguide
Member # 5233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptourguide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alslam alikom Lacalif this is our way to say hi in egypt
you are welcome to Egypt
about the map may you find that here www.egymaps.com/main.jsp?lang=eng
and my advice for you that the (street of history and art)that the other name of khan El khalili bazaar in the history this bazaar which back to 14 century and considered on of the oldest and most beautiful bazaar in middle east it is including street mostly for gold only and other for antiques and perfume..others
the area before the store of clothes and spices start in this big bazaar dos not taking long time to have a look behind
try store with name (ser al etour)this is for perfume,and there is workshop there for gold so if you like to have a golden or sliver silver you can have a pic for it during they doing it for you
so do not depend on Mab that because the names of stores changing
good luck http://soha.egypt.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by egyptourguide (edited 19 August 2005).]

Posts: 167 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com