EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » egyptian marriage laws

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: egyptian marriage laws
melaak
Member # 9600

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melaak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am an american woman meeting my arabic fiance in egypt to marry... do i need to wait for IDDA if i am recently divorced.. Hurry i need help!! thanks

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 5 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 5 | From: usa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you have all of your paperwork in order. Egypt takes VERY seriously the idea of Western Divorcee's making off with all the eligibles.
Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melaak
Member # 9600

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melaak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by melaak:
i am an american woman meeting my arabic fiance in egypt to marry... do i need to wait for IDDA if i am recently divorced.. Hurry i need help!! thanks

well lol he is not egyptian he is iraqi!!
Posts: 5 | From: usa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest that you read this page carefully and if you have any further questions you should contact the American Embassy in Cairo directly and ask them. http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/marriage.htm
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long have you been divorced? Are you Muslim? I'm not sure if you would have to wait out the idda if you are not Muslim. You will also need to get your divorce papers authenticated not once but twice. You will have to get a certified copy of the papers then get them authenticated by your state after that you will have to send them to Washington DC for more authenticating. Then in Egypt they will have to authenicate at the embassy. Hope this helps.

quote:

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melaak
Member # 9600

Rate Member
yeh thanks i have read that but i am getting mixed signals about the idda period.. some say if i am american i dont have to wait... so thank you for your help..
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From reading the information on this website it looks like you'd have to wait out your idda.

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
I would suggest that you read this page carefully and if you have any further questions you should contact the American Embassy in Cairo directly and ask them. http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/marriage.htm

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melaak
Member # 9600

Rate Member
no i am not muslim i am recently divorced within a month but its a long story anyway yes its a huge help thank you kaldoais much appreciated!!!
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off your spelling is atrocious for an American.

CONTACT.

And have you ever heard the term rebound?

Now the timing of your upcoming nuptials will make your marriage suspect. So forget about even applying for a spousal visa.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I don't think it matters if you're American or not.

quote:
yeh thanks i have read that but i am getting mixed signals about the idda period.. some say if i am american i dont have to wait... so thank you for your help..

melaak
Member # 9600

Rate Member
roxann:

thank you so much your info was a huge help and thanks for not judging without knowing the whole story... i would love your email address to talk more..

thanks again melaak

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
roxann:

thank you so much your info was a huge help and thanks for not judging without knowing the whole story... i would love your email address to talk more..

thanks again melaak

You have to obey the idda requirement as you will marry under Egyptian law not American: your religion or nationality does not matter. The idda period for a divorcee is 3 months and 3 days. Mabrouk! [Smile]
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com